Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

StormDrain posted:

Ford finally consolidated passenger cabins at least. The front end and beds are different but firewall to back glass is shared between regular and super duty.

So the completely different door size and interior between that Tremor and Raptor is not a 150/250 thing? I thought they were the same generation trucks, but I guess he did buy the Raptor some time ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

StormDrain posted:

I like the Canyon probably because it's scaled down from the Sierra that I drive and like.

I believe every truck has the swoop up on the back doors now. I noticed the detail once and didn't like it until I realized it was so prevalent.

The Tacoma has a similar but less swoopier line and looks far, far better

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Darchangel posted:

So the completely different door size and interior between that Tremor and Raptor is not a 150/250 thing? I thought they were the same generation trucks, but I guess he did buy the Raptor some time ago.

Those doors and trim are the same. The super duty door isn't opened as far and the perspective makes it look larger.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Took the lawnmower for a ride in the hills yesterday

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Steve French posted:

Took a detour on the way to the grocery store today

Put the proper wheels and tires on yesterday. Needs a wash and a better photo, though

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The Management posted:

Very nice.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

The Management posted:

Hell yeah

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Very, very nice.

Steve French posted:

Put the proper wheels and tires on yesterday. Needs a wash and a better photo, though

Very nice.

From this morning:

I don't have a hose near my driveway. So, I go to the self wash place and do the soap and spray there. No brush. Gets it like 90% clean. Then I go home and and hit it with Optimum No Rinse and a bunch of microfiber cloths. Seems okay.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

dema posted:

Very, very nice.

Thanks. She’s temperamental but when she’s running well it’s a great drive.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

dema posted:

Very, very nice.

Very nice.

From this morning:

I don't have a hose near my driveway. So, I go to the self wash place and do the soap and spray there. No brush. Gets it like 90% clean. Then I go home and and hit it with Optimum No Rinse and a bunch of microfiber cloths. Seems okay.

Man 996s are loving beautiful and I never got why so many people panned them.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Theophany posted:

I think a combo of the beauty of the 993 and the departure from aircooling made people especially critical.

In hindsight from hellworld, its loving gorgeous.

dk2m
May 6, 2009

Was this taken in CO by chance? This spot seems really familiar but it could just be the palette.

Beautiful car as well.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

LeeMajors posted:

I think a combo of the beauty of the 993 and the departure from aircooling made people especially critical.

In hindsight from hellworld, its loving gorgeous.

See the 993 doesn't do it for me, but it was a very hard act to follow the 964.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Theophany posted:

The egg headlights were pretty bad tbh

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Egglights grow on you

I mean it is a Boxster not a 911 so fite me!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Theophany posted:

See the 993 doesn't do it for me, but it was a very hard act to follow the 964.

Same. The 964 is gorgeous. The 996 is gorgeous. The 993 looks like they phoned it in.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

BigPaddy posted:

Egglights grow on you

Egglights look more modern now than when they were new, imo.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
They look fine with certain paint colors and without the amber bottom half.
The update looked a bit worse, imo:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

The Management posted:

This is very cool and more details would be welcomed.

Theophany posted:

In the right trim levels and colors they are still very good looking cars. The interiors are starting to look a bit dated at this point but they are ~20 years old.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

kimbo305 posted:

They look fine with certain paint colors and without the amber bottom half.
The update looked a bit worse, imo:

imo this looks better, the amber just looks wrong

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Yeah they look way better without the amber turn signals

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

StormDrain posted:

Those doors and trim are the same. The super duty door isn't opened as far and the perspective makes it look larger.

Fair enough. I see it now, looking back at the pics again. Not sure why my brain insisted that they were different.

The Management posted:

I thought those were Beetles? :haw:

I didn't take a pic, but I drove the shitbox AE86 in to work, since it's a cool day and I don't have to mess with traffic much.
Just imagine this:

in a parking garage.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Darchangel posted:

I didn't take a pic, but I drove the shitbox AE86 in to work, since it's a cool day and I don't have to mess with traffic much.
Just imagine this:

in a parking garage.

I like that.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

dk2m posted:

Was this taken in CO by chance? This spot seems really familiar but it could just be the palette.

Beautiful car as well.

Thanks! Yes, Golden Gate Canyon.

I much prefer the 996.1 headlights over the 996.2/Turbo. I'm obviously bias though.

dk2m
May 6, 2009

dema posted:

Thanks! Yes, Golden Gate Canyon.

I much prefer the 996.1 headlights over the 996.2/Turbo. I'm obviously bias though.

Ooo, I know just where that is now! I live in Golden, been on this road more times than I can count.

I’ll be sure to wave if I see you!

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Somewhat Heroic posted:

This is very cool and more details would be welcomed.

The car is a 1965 Porsche 356C. This is the last year of production for the 356 line, having been superseded by the 911/912 in the previous year. It’s not as bathtub-like as the previous A and B generations, but I like the look of it. To my mind it's the best version of the 356 (excluding the Carrera, but I don't have that kind of money). It truly is a pleasure to drive. Great at cornering, which is amazing for a car of its age, relatively soft and rudimentary swing-arm suspension, and skinny tires. The disc brakes (a rarity back then) combined with the low weight give it amazing braking power. It's got no power assisted steering, brakes, or anything else (definitely nothing electronic), but it's easy to drive and very connected. Overall just amazing engineering for what's essentially a 50's era design. It is not a fast car, but it feels fast, which is the best. It's hard to imagine anything with what was a 75 hp engine when new can feel fast, but it will carve curvy hills like a champ.

I bought the car about a year ago and poured a lot of money and effort into making the important things work. I won't go into the details in this post, but it's been in the shop a long time. These days it runs pretty well most of the time and doesn't leak too much oil or gasoline in my garage. I still drive with a fire extinguisher in the back seat just in case. Sometimes it decides to act up. Consequently I've gotten pretty good at dropping the clutch to start it up while gliding on the freeway or rolling backwards down a hill.

Wearing the vintage Hawaiian plate I bought and definitely did not drive around with while waiting for it to be registered.

Clean and shiny.

Joe likes it, too.

I'm happy to answer any questions. And if you know how to fix carbureted Porsches, I might have some questions for you.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

The Management posted:

The car is a 1965 Porsche 356C. This is the last year of production for the 356 line, having been superseded by the 911/912 in the previous year. It’s not as bathtub-like as the previous A and B generations, but I like the look of it. To my mind it's the best version of the 356 (excluding the Carrera, but I don't have that kind of money). It truly is a pleasure to drive. Great at cornering, which is amazing for a car of its age, relatively soft and rudimentary swing-arm suspension, and skinny tires. The disc brakes (a rarity back then) combined with the low weight give it amazing braking power. It's got no power assisted steering, brakes, or anything else (definitely nothing electronic), but it's easy to drive and very connected. Overall just amazing engineering for what's essentially a 50's era design. It is not a fast car, but it feels fast, which is the best. It's hard to imagine anything with what was a 75 hp engine when new can feel fast, but it will carve curvy hills like a champ.

I bought the car about a year ago and poured a lot of money and effort into making the important things work. I won't go into the details in this post, but it's been in the shop a long time. These days it runs pretty well most of the time and doesn't leak too much oil or gasoline in my garage. I still drive with a fire extinguisher in the back seat just in case. Sometimes it decides to act up. Consequently I've gotten pretty good at dropping the clutch to start it up while gliding on the freeway or rolling backwards down a hill.

Wearing the vintage Hawaiian plate I bought and definitely did not drive around with while waiting for it to be registered.

Clean and shiny.

Joe likes it, too.

I'm happy to answer any questions. And if you know how to fix carbureted Porsches, I might have some questions for you.

This is a cool car and a cool dog. I love pets with people names.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

That 956 is beautiful and the virtual tour in the middle of an incredibly unexpected tropical storm made my day.

:swoon:

Also this:

Imperador do Brasil posted:

This is a cool car and a cool dog. I love pets with people names.

People dog name supremacy

:unsmith::hf::unsmith:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

:gizz: That is a very pretty car and cool story! How did you come across it? Was this a bucket list car or carefully researched or spontaneous pickup?

Keep sharing future updates.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Sky was pretty awesome today, car's okay too I guess...

Arishtat fucked around with this message at 03:33 on May 28, 2020

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

That looks absolutely mega

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
My life is all downhill from here. 2014 Cayman S

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Scionix posted:

May your life be full of family, friends, and hairpin corners.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Scionix posted:

poo poo. I have a hard time seeing that as a 6 year old car. At least one part of your life is in the best time line.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

https://i.imgur.com/y7Lcziy.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/Nu3aWLA.mp4

heated game moment fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jun 1, 2020

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
That's cool.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

What was the mile time?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
gently caress yeah, I've always wanted to take a car there. I've been a few times but never driven on it. How does it feel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Olympic Mathlete posted:

What was the mile time?

I didn’t do any timed runs. This was my first time exploring the area so I was just getting a feel for things.

The salt is thin in a lot of places so you have to avoid those areas or you could break through into the mud underneath and get very stuck.

The surface was rougher than I expected, maybe due to it being so early in the season. I didn’t push much past 100 mph.

It’s definitely a cool place though and in a few months I hope to go back and really max it out.

Not sure how to get all the salt off from underneath the car, that poo poo is like concrete. I need a lift and a power washer but have neither!

heated game moment fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jun 1, 2020