Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Epicurius posted:

I never saw the movie, because it seemed really indulgent, sadistic and kind of anti-Semitic, but, if they're going for accuracy with languages, why would Pilate be talking to the Jerusalem crowd in Latin instead of Greek?

I guess the actual answer is probably "because it's a famous Latin phrase", but I dunno, maybe a Roman governor would have used Latin out of pure irritability?

Speaking of ecclesiastical Latin and problematic movies, a year later V for Vendetta was released. V's motto is vi veri universum vivus vici, which in the film they spell vi veri vniversvm vivvs vici. (Dude really likes V's.) The spelling with the extra V's is fine by the Romans, who didn't have the letter U. But a standard ecclesiastical spelling would have definitely used the U's. This seems to suggest a classical origin in-universe. But the film pronounces it ecclesiastically because it sounds cool. If you pronounce it classically, you sound like Elmer Fudd. (Classical Latin V's are pronounced like English W's.) So the church scores points there, which is nice since the film is otherwise a propaganda piece that hates them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Captain von Trapp posted:

you sound like Elmer Fudd.

This made me laugh really hard.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
I woke up literally peeing blood. I have a raging kidney infection. Prayers please?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

BattyKiara posted:

I woke up literally peeing blood. I have a raging kidney infection. Prayers please?

Keep safe! I know you are probably talking to doctors but continue to do so. And I hope the infection passes quickly!

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

If you pronounce it classically, you sound like Elmer Fudd.

Wenni, widdie, wicki.

BattyKiara posted:

Prayers please?

Still praying for you.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

BattyKiara posted:

Of course! Yuck, poor you.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
Well that was interesting... I had to get bloodwork today and on the way home the car in front of me had Goetic sigils from “The Lesser Key of Solomon.” Not a thing I’d expect to see in the wild.

Thirteen Orphans fucked around with this message at 22:02 on May 18, 2020

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Well that was interesting... I had to get bloodwork today and on the way home the car in front of me had Goetic sigils from “The Lesser Key of Solomon.” Not a thing I’d expect to see in the wild.

Which one? Personally I'm a fan of Valac but I feel like Bune is the most popular.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Paramemetic posted:

Which one? Personally I'm a fan of Valac but I feel like Bune is the most popular.

I recognized what they were as a category but it’s been so long since my occult years that I couldn’t tell you.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I believe Vepar assists with travel by sea, but that's about the only Goetic spirit I can readily think of that has anytiing to do with transportation.

I'll bet Stolas is a bro.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

BattyKiara posted:

Aw man :( I wish I could give you one without complications, I was born with three. At any rate, you're in my prayers!

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Tias posted:

Aw man :( I wish I could give you one without complications, I was born with three. At any rate, you're in my prayers!

Tias Three-Kidneys would be an excellent DnD character name.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Uffda posted:

The Catholic Bishops of Minnesota, along with many people of faith, were disappointed in Governor Walz...
The bishops of Minnesota are united in our conviction that we can safely resume public Masses in accordance with both our religious duties and with accepted public health and safety standards.

Ope, just gonna squeeze within 6 feet of ya there.

For us midwesterners, is it 6 feet from circumference or 6 feet from center mass? This is important.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Worthleast posted:

Ope, just gonna squeeze within 6 feet of ya there.

For us midwesterners, is it 6 feet from circumference or 6 feet from center mass? This is important.

Texas church cancels masses following death of a possibly Covid-19 positive priest

quote:

A church in Houston has canceled mass indefinitely after one of its priests died and five others subsequently tested positive for the coronavirus.
The Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston confirmed the death of Father Donnell Kirchner, a 79-year-old priest who worked at Holy Ghost Catholic Church, according to a statement issued Monday by the Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston.
It's unknown what specifically caused the priest's May 13 death, the Archdiocese said, and "it is not clear" if Kirchner had been tested for Covid-19. But within the following week, five others he lived with tested positive for the virus.

Mass was canceled indefinitely.

Seems like Governor Walz is doing just fine.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

As long as it's only killing Catholics, The Texas GOP is totally fine with that. If COVID kills Joel Osteen, that's when Republicans will pay attention.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

Babylon Bee's got it covered.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

I've been thinking a lot about how we can start doing communion again, and I unironically think this is the only answer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porron

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I'm worrying about places of worship opening up and the potential for infection. I'm praying for health and safety and common sense.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

WrenP-Complete posted:

I'm worrying about places of worship opening up and the potential for infection. I'm praying for health and safety and common sense.

To be clear, I'm not talking about what we do next week or next month. I mean that there is a very high likelihood that we all need to be a lot more vigilant about hygiene for literally years, and churches need to think about how they will manage that.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Mr Enderby posted:

To be clear, I'm not talking about what we do next week or next month. I mean that there is a very high likelihood that we all need to be a lot more vigilant about hygiene for literally years, and churches need to think about how they will manage that.

Yes, this changes the way we need to go about things.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

It's complicated, is the thing I've gathered from talking to my pastor about it. It's definitely not some binary decision between 'safe' and 'unsafe.' Like apparently isolating at home is very much not safe for some people.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

TOOT BOOT posted:

It's complicated, is the thing I've gathered from talking to my pastor about it. It's definitely not some binary decision between 'safe' and 'unsafe.' Like apparently isolating at home is very much not safe for some people.

How? If you don't mind me asking? If you are at home and not interacting with people who potentially have the virus, how can it be unsafe?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Josef bugman posted:

How? If you don't mind me asking? If you are at home and not interacting with people who potentially have the virus, how can it be unsafe?
Leaving aside sacramental concerns, people start going bugshit at a certain point. That point is different for everyone and for we goons in general it is probably pretty far along the track, and in most cases it is being ameliorated with electronic communication, but there is a legitimate and real psychological downside.

e: This point is probably reached far more quickly for people who are in fact extremely isolated (no job, even WFH; no immediate family or housemates; etc.) which also has a heavy overlap I imagine with regular churchgoers, making them a subject for pastoral care.

Nessus fucked around with this message at 10:14 on May 23, 2020

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

My blót circle has instituted a layer between horn and person - that is, our sacrament is blessed mead, and normally we all just share a drinking horn, but at this point people are encouraged to wear gloves and have to bring a mug they pour the horn into. We made it an indefinite measure, because frankly, who knows how long this is going to last?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Josef bugman posted:

"Safe from COVID-19" and "safe" aren't necessarily the same thing.

There are obvious cases (like abusive households) but even beyond that, like Nessus says, constant isolation can bring its own problems, and as someone who gravitates toward isolation given the choice, that's something I have to be very mindful of right now. And by 'right now' I mean for the foreseeable future, since my job just implemented a permanent work-from-home policy. (Which is mostly very good, but...)

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

docbeard posted:

"Safe from COVID-19" and "safe" aren't necessarily the same thing.

There are obvious cases (like abusive households) but even beyond that, like Nessus says, constant isolation can bring its own problems, and as someone who gravitates toward isolation given the choice, that's something I have to be very mindful of right now. And by 'right now' I mean for the foreseeable future, since my job just implemented a permanent work-from-home policy. (Which is mostly very good, but...)

I thought "safe" in this instance just meant safe from the virus.

And whilst there might be a huge number of folks who do not cope well in isolation, Religious authorities still have newsletters and the like that they can use to communicate, right? There are still opportunities to speak with people.

Nessus posted:

Leaving aside sacramental concerns, people start going bugshit at a certain point. That point is different for everyone and for we goons in general it is probably pretty far along the track, and in most cases it is being ameliorated with electronic communication, but there is a legitimate and real psychological downside.

e: This point is probably reached far more quickly for people who are in fact extremely isolated (no job, even WFH; no immediate family or housemates; etc.) which also has a heavy overlap I imagine with regular churchgoers, making them a subject for pastoral care.

I understand that full on solitary isolation is a bad time for all involved, but if people do go to church regularly then surely the religious leader of choice can go round their house and chat from a safe distance? If my work is able to contact folks and have a word with them, especially some of them who are computer illiterate, then are churches not able to do so? I imagine that this is not exactly a busy time for a lot of religious leaders as there is no opening of a great deal of religious buildings.

Tias posted:

My blót circle has instituted a layer between horn and person - that is, our sacrament is blessed mead, and normally we all just share a drinking horn, but at this point people are encouraged to wear gloves and have to bring a mug they pour the horn into. We made it an indefinite measure, because frankly, who knows how long this is going to last?

It's a fair old thing to be worried about. Hope that it all goes well Tias!

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 11:52 on May 23, 2020

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Josef bugman posted:

I understand that full on solitary isolation is a bad time for all involved, but if people do go to church regularly then surely the religious leader of choice can go round their house and chat from a safe distance? If my work is able to contact folks and have a word with them, especially some of them who are computer illiterate, then are churches not able to do so? I imagine that this is not exactly a busy time for a lot of religious leaders as there is no opening of a great deal of religious buildings.
I mean yeah probably but it's not going to be the same thing, leaving aside both the logistics and the possible spread risk of a priest or monk going around ministering to the isolated in these situations. Especially if they have also been ministering to COVID victims in their congregation.

To elaborate on the logistics: The First Church of Chmeee, Flesh-eater has 200 parishoners, of whom 40 are elderly and isolated substantially under lockdown. The parish staff consists of one full time Kdapt-preacher and a part-time sexton; the volunteer labor has evaporated. Assume that the Kdapt-preacher wants to give at least a half-hour or so time seated on a stool or something to each person he visits from the lawn or something. Include a half-hour time of travel between individuals. Already this is a forty-hour work week assuming he does nothing else at all.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Nessus posted:

I mean yeah probably but it's not going to be the same thing, leaving aside both the logistics and the possible spread risk of a priest or monk going around ministering to the isolated in these situations. Especially if they have also been ministering to COVID victims in their congregation.

To elaborate on the logistics: The First Church of Chmeee, Flesh-eater has 200 parishoners, of whom 40 are elderly and isolated substantially under lockdown. The parish staff consists of one full time Kdapt-preacher and a part-time sexton; the volunteer labor has evaporated. Assume that the Kdapt-preacher wants to give at least a half-hour or so time seated on a stool or something to each person he visits from the lawn or something. Include a half-hour time of travel between individuals. Already this is a forty-hour work week assuming he does nothing else at all.

Just stand a long distance away wearing masks. The mental health of your holy place goers will be at least partially soothed by seeing someone come along and say hello. You can treat it as triage. See who is likely to be isolated and speak to them and then work outwards if possible.

Also, has volunteer things declined? I thought that there would be a big rush by folks to help out, that is certainly how it has been over here?

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

I imagine that this is not exactly a busy time for a lot of religious leaders as there is no opening of a great deal of religious buildings.

Sorry, what? People are dying!

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Nessus posted:

We're dealing with exactly this with my very Catholic grandmother, but I've got to say given her health I'd much rather she struggle with some mental health issues, loneliness, etc. than catch COVID. Corona would be a death sentence for her, full stop.

I've got a lot of sympathy for people who are having mental health issues as a result of this, but I think there are ways to help ameliorate those without cramming a few hundred people into pews. I 100% think that people need to be more active and that there are ways to make sure that isolated people - especially elderly who can't just get up and go for a walk to the park or something - get some human contact and some interaction.

I'm just not sure that a full steam ahead reopening of the churches is the way to do that.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Worthleast posted:

Sorry, what? People are dying!

And you should not be near them whilst they are dying! The only reason doctors are is so that they can hopefully make them well again.

Do priests intervene with the dying? There is the obvious work of burying people but most of that work is, from my experience, done by people at the graveyard/crematorium? I am sorry to be so ignorant but at the funerals I have been to that a priest was also there for, they were usually only there for an hour and that includes the buffet.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

To put this into perspective, right now on the front page of CNN there's a report about a hair stylist that exposed 91 people to COVID. That's with limiting the number of customers in there at one time etc., not full blown normal times salon practices.

Religious services in person, much like all the other in person stuff that we miss right now, need to resume eventually. This can't be how things are forever, and it won't be. I just don't think that we're there yet, especially in the United States. If we're talking about countries like South Korea that mostly have a good grip on it? Yeah, that's a conversation to have. Maybe some American states are even already there. Still, a most of the big, populous states are still doubling the infections every month.

Churchgoers also skew old. Probably not the ones in this thread, but it's a thing in the population as a whole. If there's any group of people you don't want catching this it's your typical Sunday mass.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Josef bugman posted:

And you should not be near them whilst they are dying! The only reason doctors are is so that they can hopefully make them well again.

Do priests intervene with the dying? There is the obvious work of burying people but most of that work is, from my experience, done by people at the graveyard/crematorium? I am sorry to be so ignorant but at the funerals I have been to that a priest was also there for, they were usually only there for an hour and that includes the buffet.

Yes, priests very often visit with the dying and tend to them in their last hours. Again, using my Catholic grandma as an example, it would be very painful for her if she wasn't able to be in close contact with her priest in her final moments. Another reason I'd prefer that she not go out from COVID.
My wife's grandmother (a Baptist) passed just before all this started and when it became clear that she didn't have much longer her pastor was visiting with her every day for at least a few minutes. I'm not going to speak for all denominations of all faiths everywhere but some kind of spiritual aid and comfort to the dying is way, way up the list of responsibilities for most religious leaders.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I did not know that! I don't think anyone I know, even my grandma, had anyone but family around when they passed. They did occasionally have priests visit but not for long and certainly not when they were fully in the process of dying.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

Josef bugman posted:

Have you had much personal experience with pastors/priests? In-person ministry to the sick or homebound is one of the main things they do during the week. It's certainly not just a Sunday gig.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

In addition to being with the sick and dying, tending to the corpses of the dead (saying Psalms, washing the bodies) is one of the most sacred religious obligations in Judaism.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Have you had much personal experience with pastors/priests? In-person ministry to the sick or homebound is one of the main things they do during the week. It's certainly not just a Sunday gig.

Nothing beyond going to the occasional Sunday school thing when I was younger. Mum and dad stopped going after my grandads death.

But surely being safe whilst you do it is important. Otherwise you are liable to make yourself into someone who spreads the diseases around?

feldhase
Apr 27, 2011
Just as an aside, Germany is loosening the lockdown a little and has allowed religious services (with strict anti-corona procedures) but it's emerged that there's a new cluster in my state caused by a single congregant infecting a Baptist community. There are now three "counties" (Kreisen) that are struggling to trace those that attended

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Josef bugman posted:

I don't mean from the virus, I mean in a broader sense. He basically said 'I have to weigh the concern of losing people to covid versus the concern of losing people to suicide or overdose'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

TOOT BOOT posted:

I don't mean from the virus, I mean in a broader sense. He basically said 'I have to weigh the concern of losing people to covid versus the concern of losing people to suicide or overdose'

Sorry, I really did misread that. I hope that everyone is doing okay.