Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

what a surprise that the mcelroys are friends with another abusive person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

have the mcelroys ever even mentioned zak s or interacted with him at all because there are enough people who are ready to hang them out to dry that I feel like I would have heard about it by now

Ivypls fucked around with this message at 23:22 on May 22, 2020

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

DoctorWhat posted:

It's poo poo like this that the McElroys should actually face criticism for.

I mean, yeah, I agree, but on the other hand, I doubt Travis handpicked the lineup, if he is even is aware at all of the existence of Zak S, alleged serious abuser and rapist who once poo poo his pants in a Chik-fil-A, let alone the list of people who once defended him. There's a big gap between that and

inferis posted:

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I wouldn't have any clue who he was if it weren't for this thread and the stickied one about him in games

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
my take is that as platform holders it is their moral obligation to be aware of stuff like this and factor it into their decision-making.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Yeah man they should have full background checks done on everyone they associate with as well as everyone those people associate with before they do anything at all

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

inferis posted:

seems like this should actually read "what a surprise that the mcelroys are appearing on a stream with another person who was friends with an abusive person and then disavowed him"

not as snappy though

eke out fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 22, 2020

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

AndrewP posted:

He mentions Clayton in the first minute of the latest one.

This was on the polygon channel still I think; it’s going forward that they’re separate from now on. But if he’s part of the deal like the person above said then that’s great, clayton’s editing rules, and he’s 4 degrees of separation away from any known rapists or pants shitters, which is the minimum required

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 20:36 on May 22, 2020

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

eke out posted:

seems like this should actually read "what a surprise that the mcelroys are appearing on a stream with another person who was friends with an abusive person and then disavowed him"

not as snappy though

I mean I don't think Travis has to answer for everyone he's on a clearly preset stream with but she does actually suck real bad and a lot of people don't give a poo poo about her eventual very weak 'disavowing' when she spent her time saying the guy who's a rapist and abuser is actually fine. It's not like Travis is inviting her on the show or anything and clearly of all the people involved in this the actual wizards employee is likely the one they'll always keep, but it does kinda blow to see him and the other good people's names with hers like she's not a complete loving ghoul.

But then again Wizards just casually revealed they lied about even weakly reassigning the guy who actually covered for Zak and conducted a fake investigation on the claims while saying in private he was on Zak's side, and instead that guy will still be working on D&D so the whole company's full of scumbags at this point.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

note that I'm not trying to get the mcelroys "cancelled" or whatever, just that there's a lot of loving bad stuff surrounding D&D. Admittedly still bitter about people in this very thread clamoring for the return to it during Amnesty and blaming all of that campaigns faults on not using a system whose rules they largely ignore anyway.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Crocoswine posted:

Admittedly still bitter about people in this very thread

that sounds unhealthy

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Honestly the best thing Graduation has done is make me want to play a PbtA game, as it’s proof that the system wasn’t the issue with Amnesty.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

To be fair I’ve been stumping for Pathfinder which I’m sure has all sorts of horrible people associated with as well. Possibly even ones who have poo poo their pants at a national chicken sandwich chain.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I initially bounced off of Friends at the Table, but hey it turns out being trapped in your home for three months makes you reconsider things. In that light, I eventually got into it. More because I found the game they use pretty cool, admittedly. I think it (the game system) would fit a hypothetical TAZ better. I also think maybe if the four them were players and got someone else to DM, that might be pretty neat! Probably not a thing that would happen though, the brand is "the McElroy Family" after all.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

inferis posted:

that's quite a leap

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The McElroy has been tapped to host a charity event in which one of the participants used to be associated with an abusive person

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

John Wick of Dogs posted:

The McElroy has been tapped to host a charity event in which one of the participants used to be associated with an abusive person

Kind of a bulky title but now that the Trolls one has wrapped I guess I'll give it a shot.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Clint should run Tales From The Loop and make the brothers play as themselves.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Warbird posted:

To be fair I’ve been stumping for Pathfinder which I’m sure has all sorts of horrible people associated with as well. Possibly even ones who have poo poo their pants at a national chicken sandwich chain.

Paizo at least actively hires trans people and other marginalized people and seem to try and do better than like the super lazy "sometimes elves are trans but the drow are violent transphobes!!" attempts at diversity D&D stumbles around into

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I also think maybe if the four them were players and got someone else to DM, that might be pretty neat! Probably not a thing that would happen though, the brand is "the McElroy Family" after all.

The seal on this has been broken multiple times already with the Matt Mercer bonus episode and the Dadlands live show and Tiny Heist. It's been proven to work!

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
The only thing with that is you’d have to pay the DM and any competent podcast DM has their own podcast so why would they do someone else’s campaign and take away from their listens/money without being adequately compensated

What I’m saying is I don’t think they’re willing to pay what it would take

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Warbird posted:

Pathfinder would be a bad fit. It doesn’t really work for podcasting/radio, for a lot of the same reasons that D&D doesn’t really work.

Also Paizo is absolutely a very lovely company that’s pulled some terrible poo poo, but that’s a discussion for another day

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

thetoughestbean posted:

Pathfinder would be a bad fit. It doesn’t really work for podcasting/radio, for a lot of the same reasons that D&D doesn’t really work.

Also Paizo is absolutely a very lovely company that’s pulled some terrible poo poo, but that’s a discussion for another day

Glass Cannon uses pathfinder/starfinder and do a great job with it.

VaultAggie fucked around with this message at 11:59 on May 23, 2020

JOSEPH SAMOAN
Jun 13, 2010

both work fine for podcasts regardless of who worked on them

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
There's a difference between "it works" and "it's a good fit for podcasts (or even this one specifically)". The McElroys already had enough trouble with 5E rules, Pathfinder would be even worse.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Piell posted:

There's a difference between "it works" and "it's a good fit for podcasts (or even this one specifically)". The McElroys already had enough trouble with 5E rules, Pathfinder would be even worse.

yeah "give them even more mechanics they have to learn and more dice to roll" is pretty much the opposite of what i would like for this podcast

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I had never seen gravity falls before, watching it now because my son is going through it, and wow I can see how it'll were comparing the last taz to it.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
crunchy game systems only work for podcasts when everyone at the table is actually engaging with all the mechanics

TAZ has never been this

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

eke out posted:

yeah "give them even more mechanics they have to learn and more dice to roll" is pretty much the opposite of what i would like for this podcast

It's not an issue of what the system gives them but they absolutely need to learn more mechanics and roll more dice to make a good podcast

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I think Harmon Quest very technically uses Pathfinder, and while it's heavily edited for the show, I honestly don't know how much they actually engage with the mechanics.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Harmonquest struck me as a strictly sponsored thing. They discourage saying Dungeons and Dragons and have the game book very prominently displayed.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

jeff davis go on mbmbam

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The confederate president?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Jeff Davis get back here and finish signing my shirt from fifteen years ago. Colin Mochrie, Greg Proops and Brad Sherwood all signed their names and you just wrote "Best Wishes" wtf

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Honestly, the dice rolls and rules are what make it fun.

Otherwise it's just improv story time and the boys are just too nice to not "yes and" everything.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I had never seen gravity falls before, watching it now because my son is going through it, and wow I can see how it'll were comparing the last taz to it.

When they were going through character creation, everyone on Twitter kept asking Clint if he had watched it, because his character was almost exactly Grunkle Stan

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

Otherwise it's just improv story time and the boys are just too nice to not "yes and" everything.

This is how I feel, too - TAZ is an improv show at its core, and things like dice rolls and overwritten game rules are the creative prompts that keep the show from just being a stream of consciousness radio play.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

You can't trust the DM to be honest with a story in roll playing so you need the dice to force progress (and conflict) of the story.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

It's true, every DM who hides their rolls has fudged them at least once for narrative's sake

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

change my name posted:

It's true, every DM who hides their rolls has fudged them at least once for narrative's sake

I fudge poo poo all the time. I'll also say "roll me an insight check" after an NPC says something that is completely true, and then no matter what the roll is, say "it seems to you like she's telling the truth!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

DoombatINC posted:

This is how I feel, too - TAZ is an improv show at its core, and things like dice rolls and overwritten game rules are the creative prompts that keep the show from just being a stream of consciousness radio play.

This wouldn't be such a bad thing though. Mission to Zyxx is exactly that (a stream of consciousness radio play where they have a loose plot and improv the rest) and it rules. Though it has much more editing and sound effects than the McElroys would ever do.