Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rinkles posted:

, the remaster looks low effort at worst.

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The SOTC remake is incredible, but it wasn't perfect. Some things were lost in translation. Overall I don't think it's worth playing the original over the remaster (although checking it out if you are intrigued by the remake is a good idea), because playing a game that looks and feels modern adds so much but there is a feeling of otherworldliness in Team Ico games that is just not present in the remake imo. Doesn't mean it isn't great but it also doesn't feel like a true Ueda joint to me.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

If you can get the use of a PS3, the Team Ico HD remaster collection is essential IMO

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
I don't care about what was lost, the remake is the best looking game I've ever seen.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I really liked SR2 for the story. Also, we be ridin' in that black joint :frogc00l:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

AllisonByProxy posted:

I don't care about what was lost, the remake is the best looking game I've ever seen.

Why would I ever check out this Beatles album when I can listen to a cover album of it that has modern production?

-a gamer

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

In this analogy, the Beatles album runs at 18rpm and cannot be fixed.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
In all honesty as far as I can tell the only thing it lost was a bad frame rate and greenish tint.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I've got maybe either 40 attempts at guardian ape in me before i get agitated enough to throw the disc out the window

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I've got maybe either 40 attempts at guardian ape in me before i get agitated enough to throw the disc out the window

If you're really stuck on Phase 2 stop trying to parry him and just run around like a lunatic until he does his diving sword attack, dodge under it, hit him a few times from behind and run away.

This kills the ape.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

veni veni veni posted:

Why would I ever check out this Beatles album when I can listen to a cover album of it that has modern production?

-a gamer

This is a very bad analogy

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
gently caress YES the Ape goes down, zen achieved, all is well

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

This is a very bad analogy

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Imagine wanting to listen to the Beatles lmbo

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

JollyBoyJohn posted:

gently caress YES the Ape goes down, zen achieved, all is well

Congrats on never having to deal with that rear end in a top hat again.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Necrothatcher posted:

:discourse:

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Necrothatcher posted:

Lol yes

I thought the SotC frame rate was good? I mean I played on a PS4 slim and it felt solid, doesn’t the pro run it at 60?

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Rinkles posted:

yes i think it's a much smaller deal because it was never incredible to look at, but it did have an artstyle. from what i've seen, the remaster looks bland at best, low effort at worst.
I don't think that's entirely fair; they've overhauled all the visuals. They've done a lot of work that most remasters never get: New lighting engine, new textures and materials on everything (interiors and outdoors), new character models, re-lit cutscenes, lots of behind the scenes bells and whistles stuff.

I agree with you somewhat on the art style, but it's probably indicative of the direction Volition is choosing to go with their characters in the new upcoming SR.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Imhotep posted:

I thought the SotC frame rate was good? I mean I played on a PS4 slim and it felt solid, doesn’t the pro run it at 60?

Unlocked at 1080p, 30 at 4K

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

veni veni veni posted:

-a gamer

this analogy is The Room of analogies

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Escobarbarian posted:

Isn’t TOS the first interracial kiss

its either that or that john cassavetes movie

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

veni veni veni posted:

-a gamer

:golfclap:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

ErrEff posted:

I don't think that's entirely fair; they've overhauled all the visuals. They've done a lot of work that most remasters never get: New lighting engine, new textures and materials on everything (interiors and outdoors), new character models, re-lit cutscenes, lots of behind the scenes bells and whistles stuff.

I agree with you somewhat on the art style, but it's probably indicative of the direction Volition is choosing to go with their characters in the new upcoming SR.

i didn't mean to imply the whole remaster was low effort, could've worded that better.

idk about it indicating anything about the next SR, though. i'd think, and hope, volition would produce something with a bit more personality (again, the remaster was outsourced)

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

bro who the gently caress gives a poo poo about the Beatles oh my god

no irony btw

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Beach Boys - PS4
Beatles - Ouya

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Unlocked at 1080p, 30 at 4K

But see, you can only appreciate the art style in 224p at 18 fps.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

this analogy is The Room of analogies

nah veni is right. videos games and their remakes are in a weird place, some of the remakes are good and some are whats been discussed on the last few pages, then theres remasters and enhanced remasters and the original is the masterpiece everyone still remembers it was. if full BC and re-releases were the norm, or the option to include the original in the remake or a modern easy access to it, poo poo wouldnt be a problem. older graphics, lower polygon counts dont matter in the end, nintendo keep telling you this but you wont listen.

you all dismiss this stuff because you enjoyed ff7r too much because you enjoy basking in the nostalgia of your fading youth. its not to say the remakes arent good, its just the original experience is the original experience you remember for a reason and people constantly crying for remakes because brains have been melted over the years by disgust of lower polygons and frame rates and resolutions.

i played the original ps2 yakuzas after i played the kiwami versions and they still own. which reminds me, often remakes removes stuff, like kiwami 2 removing good poo poo and locations from og yakuza 2 for no real reason yet kiwami adds majima story and the cabaret club. so now you have two yakuza 2's. its just weird and they could have avoided it by including the original game on disc. same with resident evil 2 remake, totally destroying the story and the pacing and the flow and the a/b stuff just so you can experience everything with one character? its a pointless change and thats a bad mark against it, even if the game overall is pretty good, the original still has it beat without any nostalgia.

i get frustrated and conflicted with video game legacy sometimes.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Actually Resi2 on PS4 is good

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

MechaSeinfeld posted:

no irony btw
I like a lot of their songs. They're fun to listen to.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

MechaSeinfeld posted:

no irony btw

they're the doom of music :hmmyes:

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

the Beatles have yet to make a song as good as ‘love sosa’

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

shut up blegum posted:

they're the doom of music :hmmyes:

the Beatles-killer has arrived and we got the exclusive

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

There's this weird thing online, and you don't see it in here because everyone is cool, where "people" are ragging on TLOU2 because one of the characters is a buff female :thunk:
So like they're complaining that there's a trans character in TLOU2, even though that hasn't been confirmed and even if there was that's not a reason to complain :thunk::thunk:

So there's now a weird chud backlash against TLOU2 :thunk:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

MechaSeinfeld posted:

the Beatles have yet to make a song as good as ‘love sosa’

Unironically agree

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

There's this weird thing online, and you don't see it in here because everyone is cool, where "people" are ragging on TLOU2 because one of the characters is a buff female :thunk:
So like they're complaining that there's a trans character in TLOU2, even though that hasn't been confirmed and even if there was that's not a reason to complain :thunk::thunk:

So there's now a weird chud backlash against TLOU2 :thunk:

is there a point to bringing up that trash here?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

TLOU2 is gonna own and im glad i only read video game stuff in here now.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rinkles posted:

is there a point to bringing up that trash here?

Just that it was so mind blowingly stupid and it really puts into perspective how generally chill the chat in here is.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Ps4 edition remakes (of ps1 to ps3 games) are good because that's the one that will be easier to access as ps5 can play ps4 stuff and I assume it'll still work on ps6 and ps7. I know my ps3 will eventually die and be a pita to fix even. And I'm keeping it for what, demons souls (rumored to have a remake/remaster for years), the dad edition of nier(a shame the remake is bro nier), older infamous games, the last good Armored core games, and uh I dunno what else. (I'm only listing games you can't play even on xbox with backwards compatibility)

Also is anyone really going to say to play the old edition of Spyro or medievil over the new ones?

Uncharted is even better in the new collections and all the old multiplayer is shut down if I remember so even though they removed multi in the collection, it doesn't matter anyway.

Crash has a case there there because the first game is hosed up (hitbox) but you still get the experience of the second and third games better than the original.

Nobody is forcing you to buy the remake/remaster. If you still have the original and enjoy it, you can stick with it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Just that it was so mind blowingly stupid and it really puts into perspective how generally chill the chat in here is.

the world's an ugly place, and i go back and forth on whether most people are decent on the inside, or just act that way irl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Played the poo poo out of SR3 on PC (higher resolution and framerate) and the remaster looks better in my opinion. I may add it to my physical collection later on this year and replay it as a Jason Statham knockoff. Driving a tiger around the city was hilarious and I really liked the wrestling-like melee moves.