Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Oh yeah Macans are highly desireable, they will hold their value better than most. Still gonna drop from MSRP by quite a bit but that's the rub when you buy that kind of vehicle.

It's the bodystyle of choice for the US after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

YOLOsubmarine posted:

There are plenty of good cars out there for under 30k for most everyone who isn’t inconsolably angry that cars are different than they were 20 years ago.

Yeah used sure, I wasn't really impressed with many of the new cars in the under 30k range tho.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I got my 86 for under $30k like a month ago. Costco price, though.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Minto Took posted:

I got my 86 for under $30k like a month ago. Costco price, though.

Shame you have to get a 6 pack though. :(

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Wow good price for a new 86

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Fermented Tinal posted:

Just popping in to say gitlin is an idiot. This AIer bought a new car a year and a half ago and is presently starting the process to do so again.

18 months depreciation before doing it all again doesn’t sound that smart but I’m an idiot so what do I know?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Yeah used sure, I wasn't really impressed with many of the new cars in the under 30k range tho.

20 years ago, you could buy legitimately bad cars for $20,000 ($30,000 in today dollars). Right now the worst cheap new car you can buy is probably the Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross. It feels old but even it isn’t actually bad bad.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I'm in a country where you can get some Chinese models. Those are truely bad even considering price.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

drgitlin posted:

20 years ago, you could buy legitimately bad cars for $20,000 ($30,000 in today dollars). Right now the worst cheap new car you can buy is probably the Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross. It feels old but even it isn’t actually bad bad.

I think that the Ford Ecosport might be bad. The Dodge Dart / Chrysler 200 was pretty bad, but is now discontinued and was pretty much always dirt cheap. Cars in general are massively better all around than they ever have been in history, though.

It's a shame about wages not keeping up with inflation. Middle class families used to be able to afford to regularly buy new malaise-era bullshit that would rust and self destruct in 4 years.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Twerk from Home posted:

It's a shame about wages not keeping up with inflation. Middle class families used to be able to afford to regularly buy new malaise-era bullshit that would rust and self destruct in 4 years.

Why do that when the customer can be financed for close to a decade?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The Ecosport isn't even that bad it's just outdated and pointless.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

dissss posted:

I'm in a country where you can get some Chinese models. Those are truely bad even considering price.

I rode in a rented Geely once in Cuba and I can honestly say it was one of the most horrifying experiences of my life. What a truly poo poo car that was, just an unforgivable piece of useless trash, and bear in mind as I say that, that I even have some degree of nostalgia for the Ladas I rode in down there.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

drgitlin posted:

18 months depreciation before doing it all again doesn’t sound that smart but I’m an idiot so what do I know?

As long as I don't roll negative equity I don't care about the depreciation. Car's mostly paid off already because I don't believe in long term loans so I should be clear in that regard. I no longer need a commuter car so now I'm going to buy something pretty and fun and make people like you rage by driving it in the winter and letting it rust.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

drgitlin posted:

Yeah so, uh, is Tinal the one buying you the redtext, and/or what did you write that pissed him off? It's pretty funny.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I don't buy people avatars or custom titles.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
I disagree that the Mazda3 interior is Audi quality as a whole. The feel of everything is certainly at that standard, or even a smidge better. However, the surfaces start to wear and look cheap very quickly - cf. scratches on the piano black plastic trim everywhere, leatherette that shows dust & splotches. I can live with it because I treat the car as a utilitarian thing, but it drives my (slightly OCD) spouse insane

Fermented Tinal posted:

As long as I don't roll negative equity I don't care about the depreciation. Car's mostly paid off already because I don't believe in long term loans so I should be clear in that regard. I no longer need a commuter car so now I'm going to buy something pretty and fun and make people like you rage by driving it in the winter and letting it rust.

The point is, negative equity or not you're eating hella depreciation expense. I am in no position to judge because I've done it too, but that's just what he was pointing out :shrug:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

got off on a technicality posted:

The point is, negative equity or not you're eating hella depreciation expense. I am in no position to judge because I've done it too, but that's just what he was pointing out :shrug:

Actually I think the point is more drgitlin got butt hurt because he got called out on his bullshit again.

Okay so .... new cars eh? I got to drive a i30 N

https://www.hyundai.com/au/en/cars/sports-cars/i30-n

Do yourself a favour if you are looking into hot hatches and bag a test drive.This thing a right bucket of fun that in a lot of ways reminds me of how the WRX used to be - 30 grand worth of driveline in a cheap shitbox. Except cheap shitboxes these days are somewhat better specced to begin with.

For the money you get a lot of car still tho - 202Kw, 360ish NM in a hatchback means this thing is going to need traction control which is decently tuned and I think can be dialled back if you want to be more aggressive - there's a N-mode that makes it noiser as well. The gearshift isnt what I call the best but it's good enough. Brakes are really impressive so it'll go and stop. Steering isnt quite as sharp or with t e feedback I like but that kinda seems to be more the way of modern cars. It's an understeerer of course but what hot hatch isnt? But it's happy to tricycle and even get some what frisky with some well applied left foot to get the weight shift really going. There's a "terms and conditions apply" warranty that allow track days as well.

The point that I really want to make isnt that it's pretty much a 8/10 car but admittedly there's better out there even if it is a performance bargain - it's that it is HILARIOUS thing to drive. Absolute get out of the car with a poo poo eating grin because it is just plain fun to throw around. Does it go around a corner with the sheer speed of a WRX at 10/10ths? Oh god no but you aint gonna give one iota of a gently caress. Is it a Golf R killer? gently caress no but you are going to like driving the i30 more. In the end the i30 really is a happy little shitbox stuffed full of engineering that hasnt had the Hyundai accountants go tut tut and cost cut like mad. That to me has always been Hyundai's big problem - there's long been a good car IF the accountants havent forced them to make them cheaply. Example - the Excel absolutly wakes up and becomes a killer car by throwing out the poo poo suspension. Someone let the engineers off the leash and the i30 N shows the results.

Summary - cheap shitbox given a massive makeover, a solid 8/10 for the dispassionate analysis but there more to having a blast than raw data. This is riot of car and in all honestly gently caress the Europeans, give this one a red hot go.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Super Soaker Party! posted:

Yeah so, uh, is Tinal the one buying you the redtext, and/or what did you write that pissed him off? It's pretty funny.

No it was some Elon musk fanboy, unless I have a new one? I don’t see them in the app.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Fermented Tinal posted:

Haha you sure owned him by losing a bunch of your own money!

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

drgitlin posted:

As smooth jazz points out, the switchgear is much improved. Mazda made sure that every different button and switch has the same feel, so they all click at the same point and the whole thing feels of a piece. I can't actually think of another OEM that has the same attention to detail. All the fonts and typefaces match, and they even went as far as making sure the color temperature and brightness of all the backlit illuminations matches up.

That's a crap load of marketing wank.

Choosing a common supplier and a common button for the buttons is a cost saving measure. Choosing individual buttons so that the feel of pressing it without looking at it creates an intuitive response so that you know even before it's fully depressed that it's the right button or not requires extra time and effort and adds multiple find#'s to the BoM that all have to be stocked and supplied and process controlled. I'm not talking about the shape of the plastic housing but the underlying mechanism.

Same with the lighting and fonts. Choosing individual color temperatures and brightness's or font styles so that your eye is drawn to important information and that routine information isn't a distraction takes engineering effort and thought and more find#'s for the BoM or software development hours.

"Make 'em all the same", is almost always a cost cutting measure which is quite different from 'make this appear the same so as to be aesthetically pleasing even though it's completely different' which is usually the sign of superior quality, attention to detail and consideration.

Edit: Which isn't to say that it's not an improvement over what was before. Haphazard, what ever the cheapest supplier(s) can give us, is the least best option.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 13:29 on May 23, 2020

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

I disagree that the Mazda3 interior is Audi quality as a whole. The feel of everything is certainly at that standard, or even a smidge better. However, the surfaces start to wear and look cheap very quickly - cf. scratches on the piano black plastic trim everywhere, leatherette that shows dust & splotches. I can live with it because I treat the car as a utilitarian thing, but it drives my (slightly OCD) spouse insane

They certainly cribbed Audi's interior design language.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

It's called car ownership. Our hobby is dumb, expensive and never makes financial sense - trying to score cheap points on "LOL you lost money" really is just silly

If you want to tear up a pile of 100's for no real return try rallying. Or car restoration. Or just getting stuck into car mods. Or.... it just goes on.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Colostomy Bag posted:

So how is the Porsche service department experience?

It's always been pretty good. The "best" dealer in the area will pick up/drop off the car from home if we don't feel like making the trip to get a loaner, but it's also the most expensive option. They're also very quick to suggest maintenance for things like windshield wiper replacements/brakes at silly prices. The further/more rural dealer is pretty close to my wife's hospital and make it pretty painless to get in/out with a loaner, so we'll use them for small things sometimes if we don't feel like dealing with the car drop off/pickup/missing car shuffle.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 13:45 on May 23, 2020

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Sure did, because my calling gitlin an idiot has everything to do with me willing to lose money on a car to have the car that I want and nothing to do with his statement that nobody here buys new cars.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Cars are a stupid dumb idiotic thing to buy under any circumstances lmao

I'd your statement begins with "I will buy a car..." then give up because you've already lost money

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Hertz declared bankruptcy

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Jumping on someone who made a broad statement in casual conversation because their broad statement wasn't literally 100% accurate then continuing to be mad and post about it because you can't comprehend nuance or context is the true mark of high intelligence.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Murgos posted:

That's a crap load of marketing wank.

Choosing a common supplier and a common button for the buttons is a cost saving measure...

But it must be said, the cost saving trend is having no buttons and putting it all into a touchscreen (see golf mk8).
So I think Mazda deserve kudos for not only keeping the buttons and dials, but also for giving a drat about how they look and feel.

Having the dials click like they do must have taken effort and cost them extra.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Touch screens in cars suck rear end and Mazda is leaps and bounds ahead just by having a physical control knob.

I'm still in a rental Altima and having to look at the screen and reach out and touch it to do anything is awful.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

It's called car ownership. Our hobby is dumb, expensive and never makes financial sense - trying to score cheap points on "LOL you lost money" really is just silly

If you want to tear up a pile of 100's for no real return try rallying. Or car restoration. Or just getting stuck into car mods. Or.... it just goes on.

This is extremely true.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Throatwarbler posted:

That's sad nus. We'll be hearing more of that with increasing frequency.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Throatwarbler posted:

I like how if you are an individual and you don't have six month's salary saved up for emergencies, you are being irresponsible. But you greatly curtail business for 60 days and they are going under left and right.

I can understand that for a mom and pop that's operating on slim margins, but for a large corporation my sympathy extends only so far as the workers that are going to lose their jobs.

Curtail your loving executive pay and use it to make an emergency fund and give your employees proper benefits.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Curtail your loving executive pay and use it to make an emergency fund and give your employees proper benefits.

I completely agree but lol at that ever happening

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Capitalism explicitly encourages keeping as little cash on hand as possible because it makes a hostile takeover much harder. To the point where most businesses regularly take out <1 week loans to pay the bills when their cash flow doesn't line up.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Edit: nope

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Throatwarbler posted:

Dang rip.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

KillHour posted:

Capitalism explicitly encourages keeping as little cash on hand as possible because it makes a hostile takeover much harder. To the point where most businesses regularly take out <1 week loans to pay the bills when their cash flow doesn't line up.

Avoiding hostile takeovers by not having cash isn't so much the point. Rather, managers are incented to juice returns to equity by running super lean cash-wise. Having a revolver to help with short-term cash timing is a pretty standard part of that toolkit, but they behave more like a credit card and are not separate loans as such

I did read that Hertz has been run more riskily than Avis and Enterprise in recent years and it is now coming back to bite them. Can't help but think we have too many car rental brands anyway...

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I did read that Hertz has been run more riskily than Avis and Enterprise in recent years and it is now coming back to bite them. Can't help but think we have too many car rental brands anyway...

Don’t worry, I’m sure one of the competitors will buy the name.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

KakerMix posted:

I'd your statement begins with "I will buy a car..." then give up because you've already lost money

Throatwarbler posted:

See?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Its not losing money, its spending money towards a good/service that you feel is worth the expenditure. For some people cars are completely transportation and completely a loss. For others, us, we spend the money for extras (power, performance, prestige, efficiency, etc) because we feel it is worth it.