Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The thing you have to remember about SMG is that he's either a troll, and it's very sad he's still getting people to go along with his dumb poo poo, or he's a man who literally never grew past the mindset that first year film students have where they learn an ounce of theory and think they know everything. Which is also sad. None of his arguments are ever in good faith or are so dumb that they may as well not be. I'm not sure why we're giving this one the time of day at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
It's kinda lovely to talk about rape in this way.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I think the thing you have to remember about SMG is literally nothing because he's a stranger on the internet and it's perverse that he holds such sway over people on a different forum's brains that they can never shut the gently caress up about him even when he's not around and I'm not sure he's even posted in years.

Now, that guy who kept up a year long ruse that he was in favour of a return to the gold standard and then casually revealed one day that it was a joke that got out of hand, that guy was a poster.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
SMG tried his poo poo in BSS and got a probation with a "never post in this forum again" warning which was funny.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Dan Didio posted:

I think the thing you have to remember about SMG is literally nothing because he's a stranger on the internet and it's perverse that he holds such sway over people on a different forum's brains that they can never shut the gently caress up about him even when he's not around and I'm not sure he's even posted in years.

Now, that guy who kept up a year long ruse that he was in favour of a return to the gold standard and then casually revealed one day that it was a joke that got out of hand, that guy was a poster.

He's literally posting in CD in some dudes thread where he was asking for advice on what order to do the marvel movies with his girlfriend. His posts are telling the guy to watch Battleship and Skyline instead. He's still active and doing the same annoying shtick. He's not allowed in this sub forum, so let's just not bring up his insane, dumb rear end theories like they or him deserves this much discussion. That's my final word on it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That sounds hilarious tbh

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Vince MechMahon posted:

He's literally posting in CD in some dudes thread where he was asking for advice on what order to do the marvel movies with his girlfriend. His posts are telling the guy to watch Battleship and Skyline instead.

Hahaha, that actually owns.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I think he's cool and I like how mad he makes people. Plus his breakdowns of shot composition made me appreciate a lot of films I'd dismissed as trash in a new light. That's my final word on it.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

John Wick of Dogs posted:

That sounds hilarious tbh

Sounds like a load of the same old tedious wank to me.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Movie that you guys don't like is actually good! In fact much better than movies you do like, which are bad!

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Fangz posted:

Movie that you guys don't like is actually good! In fact much better than movies you do like, which are bad!

Yep that's his one and only trick.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Necrothatcher posted:

I think he's cool and I like how mad he makes people. Plus his breakdowns of shot composition made me appreciate a lot of films I'd dismissed as trash in a new light. That's my final word on it.

Same here. I just kinda skim through the film analysis, but his shot compo critiques were pretty spot on

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Vince MechMahon posted:

He's not allowed in this sub forum, so let's just not bring up his insane, dumb rear end theories like they or him deserves this much discussion. That's my final word on it.

What? I have no strong opinion about SMG but he's definitely not banned from BSS to my knowledge and I can't speak for X-O but I don't have any interest in enforcing such a ban if it does exist. Also this thread isn't for posting about posters so everyone drop it, and you can move on from theory-crafting about rape while you're all at it too.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I mean...I don't know how mod succession rulings work or anything but X-O absolute did ban SMG from here, among other things. If you're lifting the ban that's one thing, but the ban very much did exist.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

How Wonderful! posted:

What? I have no strong opinion about SMG but he's definitely not banned from BSS to my knowledge and I can't speak for X-O but I don't have any interest in enforcing such a ban if it does exist. Also this thread isn't for posting about posters so everyone drop it, and you can move on from theory-crafting about rape while you're all at it too.

Yeah the thread for posting about posters is in CD!

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah the thread for posting about posters is in CD!

What’s the ruling on posting about posting about posters?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Phylodox posted:

What’s the ruling on posting about posting about posters?

Only if they touch the ceiling.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The MSJ posted:

My ceilings were very low in that apartment and this was fixed upon moving. It was like living on that half floor from being John malkovich.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Vince MechMahon posted:

My ceilings were very low in that apartment and this was fixed upon moving. It was like living on that half floor from being John malkovich.

is there some regulation that the posters must be X feet off the ground, or a particular latitude of the poster must be at eye level? i dont know why u didnt just move them down 3 inches from the ceiling lol. to be frank “my ceilings were low” has always sounded like an excuse, i think u were just afraid to admit u thought it looked good

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

How Wonderful! posted:

I love you, but do not lift that ban.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

The MSJ posted:

I still have a bunch of posters from my movie theatre working days. I have no idea what to do with them. End of my story.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I know it's the meme to laugh at his ceiling posters, but I think as far as poster displays go his were really up there.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I don't care, the question of "Which Marvel movies should I introduce my girlfriend to" being answered with a sincerely written "Battleship and Skylines" if hilarious. That is a valuable service

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

scary ghost dog posted:

is there some regulation that the posters must be X feet off the ground, or a particular latitude of the poster must be at eye level? i dont know why u didnt just move them down 3 inches from the ceiling lol. to be frank “my ceilings were low” has always sounded like an excuse, i think u were just afraid to admit u thought it looked good

It was half the low ceilings and half me being a lazy dumb rear end 20 something and not owning a level or wanting to get one or having anyone there at the time to eyeball if they were level or not. The ceiling issue has been solved but me being lazy and dumb is forever.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Soonmot posted:

I love you, but do not lift that ban.

Yeah it will make the place unreadable within a week.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Vince MechMahon posted:

It was half the low ceilings and half me being a lazy dumb rear end 20 something and not owning a level or wanting to get one or having anyone there at the time to eyeball if they were level or not. The ceiling issue has been solved but me being lazy and dumb is forever.

:hai: not owning a level makes sense. my gorillaz albums i have mounted are all very uneven lol

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

scary ghost dog posted:

:hai: not owning a level makes sense. my gorillaz albums i have mounted are all very uneven lol

Why don't you just hang your posters at deliberately canted angles to show off how wacky and unconventional you are like I did when I was a teenager?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

BrianWilly posted:

Wasn't the point to put it back where it belonged? So Steve used it to "proper" time travel back to the 40s, then kept it until the 00s when he gave it back to the Ancient One?

...Actually, that might work I guess.

I would watch one of those Marvel One-Shots where Old Man Steve tells Peggy he’s going out for milk and eggs, then sneaks through the Chitauri invasion to return the time stone. And comes back with milk and eggs, naturally.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I don't care, the question of "Which Marvel movies should I introduce my girlfriend to" being answered with a sincerely written "Battleship and Skylines" if hilarious. That is a valuable service
He's a very elaborate gimmick poster that has made CD unreadable

and for the record he has been caught before talking in detail about movies he later admitted he hadn't seen

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
In general I think posters like that keep things interesting buuuuuuuuut need a stern-rear end slapping when things get too out of hand.

CD contratianism makes threads unbearable sometimes and it's kind of telling that there hasn't been much of that since the last Cape Film dropped...

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I would watch one of those Marvel One-Shots where Old Man Steve tells Peggy he’s going out for milk and eggs, then sneaks through the Chitauri invasion to return the time stone. And comes back with milk and eggs, naturally.

Reminds me of Seven Soldiers of Victory:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

BrianWilly posted:

I mean...I don't know how mod succession rulings work or anything but X-O absolute did ban SMG from here, among other things. If you're lifting the ban that's one thing, but the ban very much did exist.

Didn’t a mod say that anyone who brought up the r___ discussion would catch a probation if it was ever brought up again, even in reference?

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 21:21 on May 23, 2020

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I came to this thread (and past incarnations of it) to get away from SMG because he was banned from here and his awful posts really ended up making GBS threads up CineD so much I no longer visit that subforum. If he's still around, I would strongly advise you to keep that door sealed please.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 23:49 on May 23, 2020

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I apologize for bringing it up. My intention wasn't to open some raw wound. I didn't realize it was as big a thing as it apparently was. It was just some weird rear end thing I came across reading some old threads and just felt the compulsion to say "Wow, what the hell?" I actually thought the post might go unnoticed. My bad.

If I broke some rule I wasn't aware of I'll accept the punishment as penance for inadvertently starting this and causing so much pain.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Like it's way super great that folks find the gimmick so interesting and wacky or whatever, right up to the part where he instigates twenty pages of the aforementioned rape jokes and calls Parkland shooting victims crisis actors and other such interesting wacky plays to troll for reactions that, yes, I will indeed hella bring up whenever relevant because no one would ever let any other poster including myself hear the end of it if they did stuff like that and rightfully so, kthxbyeee

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Ok, so believe it or not (and this isn't a sarcastic "believe it or not"-- I was actually surprised when I found out) there's no master list of forum-banned posters that gets handed down to new mods. I checked around though and it seems like SMG was specifically thread-banned from the BSS movie thread, which I'm fine upholding, and I'm waiting to hear back from X-O as to whether that extended to a subforum-wide ban.

I personally don't really like forum-bans very much except in really really dire circumstances because I feel like it shuts the door on people just figuring out how to be more engaging or thoughtful or funny whatever (there are a bunch of BSS posters who I really appreciate now who I found totally insufferable five years ago) but I think in this case the thread-ban seems fine so I won't mess with it. He doesn't seem to have had any interest in posting in BSS at all in about half a decade though so who knows, we can cross that bridge if and when it ever gets built. If X-O has a different opinion I'll defer to that since it sounds like it was his call initially.

ruddiger posted:

Didn’t a mod say that anyone who brought up the r___ discussion would catch a probation if it was ever brought up again, even in reference?

I might be totally blanking but I don't know what the "r____ discussion" even is so I wouldn't lose any sleep.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 00:17 on May 24, 2020

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I've been over-abusing my sarcasm glands these past couple days for, oh, Idunno, some reason, but I have to say now, sincerely, that all those are deffo extremely the best decisions that could be made in these circumstance.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Fangz posted:

Sadly accurate to most of my tastes

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

BrianWilly posted:

I've been over-abusing my sarcasm glands these past couple days for, oh, Idunno, some reason, but I have to say now, sincerely, that all those are deffo extremely the best decisions that could be made in these circumstance.

Been abusing my glans lately as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Jamesman posted:

I came to this thread (and past incarnations of it) to get away from SMG because he was banned from here and his awful posts really ended up making GBS threads up CineD so much I no longer visit that subforum.

https://youtu.be/U3yuFlvRyqM