Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

central dogma posted:

America would not survive all those at the same time, no. But if a scenario like that actually played out in the US, I wouldn't count on the rest of the world being untouched by it.

Boy that's interesting to think about and hadn't considered that before.

Totally unlike the last time the US suffered its civil war, the great depression, and 9/11 and the world was untouched by these events or the situations surrounding them, if it was affected now by the collapse of the American state, I think in fact that WOULD affect the rest of the world in some way. Man, that's really something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

central dogma posted:

America would not survive all those at the same time, no. But if a scenario like that actually played out in the US, I wouldn't count on the rest of the world being untouched by it.

Well no because they'll nuke it.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking

SHISHKABOB posted:

Yeah and we've been doing great! "Weathered" is a fantastically hilarious term to use for the state of decay of the American Empire over the last 100 years.

Why is "weathered" fantastically hilarious? Thats exactly the right term. "Weathered" doesn't mean "constantly improved", but rather "still standing". The UK also "weathered" its decline as a global empire.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Big Beef City posted:

Totally unlike the last time the US suffered its civil war, the great depression, and 9/11 and the world was untouched by these events or the situations surrounding them, if it was affected now by the collapse of the American state, I think in fact that WOULD affect the rest of the world in some way. Man, that's really something.

Everyone knows how smart you are BBC. Now go take your chill pill.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

There really is no coming back from this for America is there? I don't just mean covid-19. I mean the whole poo poo show.

Sorry if I do a politic here but I think it's because a pandemic is a stress that shows the flaws of any system in broad daylight. Like how come millions are losing their job but billionnaire are making mad money? The system is obviously broken and, like I said many time, we are in some kind of gilded age.

Bleusilences fucked around with this message at 15:53 on May 23, 2020

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Big Beef City posted:

Country usually decay until it get absorb into something else. They rarely collapse and when then do they usually break into a bunch of entities.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Bleusilences posted:

Sorry if I do a politic here but I think it's because a pandemic is a stress that shows the flaws of any system in broad daylight. Lie how come millions are losing their job but billionnaire are making mad money? The system is obviously broken and, like I said many time in this time, we are in some kind of gilded age.

In the past I think America was at least theoretically capable of addressing systemic issues. I think the rot is too deep. The corruption is too endemic and you all hate each other. I don't think the degree of distrust in the government and each other was this bad even during the Vietnam era. I can't even imagine what could happen that would bring you together as a nation to act for the common good.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

central dogma posted:

America has weathered much much worse. Take a look at the US's colorful history. You can exclude the Civil War if you want and include just the last 100 years.

Sure, "great" empires never reach a breaking point. Anyone who can't see what's coming is delusional or complicit, it's that simple.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I can't even imagine what could happen that would bring you together as a nation to act for the common good.

Another big war?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

nullEntityRNG posted:

Cool. We literally have not learned from history. All it took was 100 years.

I'm stoked.

Learning from history is a myth. The same people who died in the trenches of ww1 and dealt with it's fallout in ww2 went on to completely ignore the lessons they learned about giant global alliances and founded NATO and the Warsaw Pact.

Literally the same people that lived the past couldn't learn from it. It's like how all the jokes about how the history books will read on this when the ones with the most exposure(schools) will have a paragraph at most about it because it happened after ww2. Kids these days dont know what agent orange was, you think we are going to write pages on just how much we cocked it up?

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Well to be honest NATO was a good idea, it just that people/nations weren't willing to carry through and the fact that nation has veto kind of hosed the whole thing. Just look at the WHO, they had to compromised with china by fellating them to be able to operate and have some goodwill from china.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
The US isn’t going anywhere anytime soon lmao

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
actual litmus state for failed state is failed to enforce monopoly on violence, cuz thats what the state is

the monopoly always has carveouts, usually to landlords and capitalists. but the us has carveout in the chud regions for white supremacy. but that was always the case

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
black experience in america was never that of living in a lawful state w a monopoly on violence, but the us keeps on truckin

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

What are the most recent events covered in modern American history books? I'm morbidly curious, but I don't feel like spending $100+ on one.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Let's put this tread back on track, here is an article about what we talked earlier with the barbershop issues:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/23/us/missouri-hairstylist-coronavirus-trnd/index.html

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
I wonder how hard it would be to create a facebook conspiracy page dedicated to waking up the sheeple that Bill Gates and the UN are going to use active voter registration records to organize forced vaccinations.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

I said come in! posted:

https://www.kansascity.com/news/coronavirus/article242946596.html

“Hairstylist with COVID-19 served 84 clients while symptomatic, Missouri officials say”

Imagine all the conversation Karen had with her clients while she was giving them the virus :allears:

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I wonder how hard it would be to create a facebook conspiracy page dedicated to waking up the sheeple that Bill Gates and the UN are going to use active voter registration records to organize forced vaccinations.

Russians already 3 steps ahead of you but the thought counts!

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Probably the only way you guys can try and save what is left of the USA before you are run in the ground for the next 20 years and end up worse than a third world country (but hey freedom amirite).

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Could you imagine if the second american revolution would be named the COVID wars?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

FoolyCharged posted:

Learning from history is a myth. The same people who died in the trenches of ww1 and dealt with it's fallout in ww2 went on to completely ignore the lessons they learned about giant global alliances and founded NATO and the Warsaw Pact.

Literally the same people that lived the past couldn't learn from it. It's like how all the jokes about how the history books will read on this when the ones with the most exposure(schools) will have a paragraph at most about it because it happened after ww2. Kids these days dont know what agent orange was, you think we are going to write pages on just how much we cocked it up?

If anything those conflicts taught us that giant global alliances in some form are the best method of preventing such conflicts, and that their failures were due to being undermined by nationalist agendas.

So, unfortunately it's you who managed to completely understand history backwards I guess.

Can see this playing out in miniature during COVID as EU members pulled up their drawbridges and backstabbed one another over PPE sourcing.

lovely tuna snatch
Feb 10, 2010

Jeza posted:

Can see this playing out in miniature during COVID as EU members pulled up their drawbridges and backstabbed one another over PPE sourcing.

Yeah should've kept the borders open, the more the merrier.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Is there a thread where goons talk about leaving the US permanently?

Anyone here leave for my pipe dream country, Canada?

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

Bleusilences posted:

Could you imagine if the second american revolution would be named the COVID wars?

there is going to be so much mud slinging and blame pinning after the scale of the impact on the economy becomes clear who knows what it will be called.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
How about some happy news, thread? The people who keep testing positive for extended periods of time are probably just shedding dead virus. The RNA of the virions is still getting picked up by RT-PCR, but it won't grow in culture/kill people.

https://twitter.com/ScottGottliebMD/status/1263989372317294594

Synthetic Dreams
Jul 19, 2005

by Cyrano4747
Oh boy, even goons are now doomsaying over this. Feels pretty grim to be honest.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Rolo posted:

Probably not a great time to try to leave, or go anywhere, really. Maybe in a few years, though...

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Zugzwang posted:

How about some happy news, thread? The people who keep testing positive for extended periods of time are probably just shedding dead virus. The RNA of the virions is still getting picked up by RT-PCR, but it won't grow in culture/kill people.

https://twitter.com/ScottGottliebMD/status/1263989372317294594

Don't most viral infections end this way?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Probably not a great time to try to leave, or go anywhere, really. Maybe in a few years, though...

Yeah not tomorrow but I’d like to someday.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

central dogma posted:

Why is "weathered" fantastically hilarious? Thats exactly the right term. "Weathered" doesn't mean "constantly improved", but rather "still standing". The UK also "weathered" its decline as a global empire.

Weathered means "in good standing".

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

central dogma posted:

Don't most viral infections end this way?
Sure, but the question of how long the infectious period lasts has been unknown. I've heard about people having to test negative multiple times to leave quarantine, and there was a lot of worry about the possibility of reinfection because some people were testing negative and then later testing positive again.

I mean, we still don't know for sure how long the infectious period lasts, and I'm sure it varies by individual, but this helps answer some nagging questions.

Unfortunately culture is one of the most time-consuming types of tests/least straightforward to make portable(ish), so lots of people will be testing positive without knowing whether they're actually infectious.

Mumbling Nuggets
Jan 14, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
Don't be. That belongs in every thread.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Backweb posted:

Lol oops. I meant to post in the cspam thread where everybody is crack-pinging with covidbrain.

oh definitely. that's why I've let it go. i called them out on it and they went silent.

Yeah, I hope they're safe too. Trust me when I say their quality of life is fine. They just have boomer expectations of how the world is supposed to yield more for their 401ks. I half expect them to book a cruise now...

They should book a swingers cruise with Burt and his wife.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
The second America thinks its proper hosed its going to do everything it can to drag the rest of the world down with it.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Rolo posted:

Border of Canada is closed for at least another month. US/Canada joint decision to keep it closed came last week or so. Essential trade is allowed, but you're not moving to Canada right now.

And here's a lovely article detailing it:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/news/2020/05/19/coronavirus-us-canada-border-closure-extended-until-least-june-21/5222731002/

Lotti Fuehrscheim
Jun 13, 2019

SHISHKABOB posted:

Weathered means "in good standing".

Not to me. But there is always newspeak.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Rolo posted:

It actually can be surprisingly hard to move to Canada but if you actually want to your best bet is to do a university or college (i.e. community college) degree here and qualify for the post-grad work visa. The good news is schools are going to be super desperate for international students really soon because they're a big moneymaker. The bad news is you'll be paying like 4 times the tuition as a local. Still might be cheaper that school in the US thanks to the dollar being in the toilet though!

Otherwise your only option really is to get a company to sponsor you and lol at that happening in this economy. It can be a loving nightmare even when times are good and there's legitimate gaps in the workforce.

It's a lot easier for Europeans to move here and get residency because reciprocal working holiday visas count as qualifying work experience but for some reason the US doesn't want to have one of those with Canada :rolleyes:

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 17:57 on May 23, 2020

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I have to write this down because it seems insane

As of may 22, 2020, it has become normal and "ok" that 100,000 Americans died in a couple of months of a weird virus, because Donner J Kebump a celebrity reality tv show host became president of the most powerful nation on earth, mostly by appealing to dumbs or racists, which turned out to be a way bigger fanbase than expected, enough to make reelection very likely

Oh and said virus is apparently just getting started, but people "got bored" of dealing with it

To compare, in the previous 2000's decade, about 3,000 Americans died in 9/11 and it triggered a global war and the world changed forever and it was a huge tragedy when like 500 soldiers died in said war

I don't have a point, just thought it was super weird.

I feel like in 2021 onward there's going to be conversations like "Look, I know you're racist, I don't want to offend you and clearly there's nothing wrong with being racist, some of my good friends are racists, I just don't think it's a great thing to be" "Well you gotta respect my right to be racist", I don't know I can't even predict anything at this point, the 2000's were sad and gloomy but predictable because "well these guys in charge are smart and probably motivated by money or power" so you could kinda see where it was going, but today it's just stupidity all around

Measles are back, people can't wear face masks because they feel bad doing it, people are coughing on each other as an attack, it's like nobody knows how viruses work or spread in general, oh yeah

drat the internet DID make us stupid

I just saw "Invictus" which is a Nelson Mandela + Rugby mashup movie and it's got some nice quotes by Mandela and honestly it feels like Sci Fi right now

edit: This could have been over in like 2 weeks if everyone worked together like in the movies

Comfy Fleece Sweater fucked around with this message at 18:04 on May 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

:theroni:

Rolo posted:

Yeah not tomorrow but I’d like to someday.

My long-term plans have also changed to "figure out how to move to another country that at least half-heartedly pretends to care about its citizens."