Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

I think he has forgotten that that is a DS4 and not a stadia controller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

VideoGames posted:

I think he has forgotten that that is a DS4 and not a stadia controller.

Can't bind a Stadia controller to a phone wirelessly.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

I'll take "Situations where a Switch would be at least as good" for $200, please.

Also, that is one terrifying avatar, VideoGames :stonk:

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I can’t imagine a single human that would be happy with a portable Stadia setup that wouldn’t be infinitely more happy with a Switch instead

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
The "I only have limited" time poo poo is absolutely bonkers if you are someone who actually has limited time to game. I have a job, a baby, and plenty of other poo poo to do besides gaming, it's hard to think of something LESS suitable for my limited time:

- Extremely limited library, with worse prices than almost any other platform.
- Highly dependent on a good connection, which may be entirely out of my control. Plus dependent on a home networking setup that I truly cannot be arsed to effort into. Mediocre WiFi is good enough for basically everything else.
- No actual ability to suspend. Even if the above weren't the case, this is quite literally a deal breaker. Hell, if anything it's even worse than before widespread suspend ability, because it will probably kill your session even if it's just left paused.
- Despite their marketing it is not actually "play anywhere" in any sense that counts. A Switch is play anywhere.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

quote:

In early April, we announced that anyone who signs up for Stadia within 14 countries will receive two free months of Stadia Pro. On June 3rd, we will be changing our current Stadia Pro offer from two free months to one free month for new users. Anyone who signs up for Stadia on or after June 3rd will receive one free month of Stadia Pro. So if you haven’t already signed up, head over to Stadia.com prior to June 3rd to claim your two free months!

lol

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

So they're not giving away any good games with Pro until August then? :smaug:

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

To play poo poo like that i would prefer not playing at all. This summer i i had to accompany my brother to the doc and i listened to music and felt asleep. Thats no way to play my dude.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

What do you want to bet that that "very common name" was only common in Germany right up around until the mid-1940's and the letter was still an H?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
5 months ago

Stadia has made gaming hardware irrelevant and obsolete and the luddites are mad about it posted:

Lots of theories have been thrown around as to the hate Stadia has gotten since it's first official announcement months ago.

A good chunk of it is Google's fault because they have a culture that is unfortunately driven by hype. Which inevitably leads to unfulfilled promises. Which then leads to disappointment.

However, let's put aside Google's self-inflicted injury for a moment and address the elephant in the room.

This is controversial, but I have zero excitement for the PS5 or Xbox Scarlett. Both consoles are dead on arrival as far as I'm concerned. My lack of enthusiasm for these products squarely rests on Stadia. Let me explain why.

I've clocked over 60 hours of playing Stadia on the various screens around me. I've played Assassin's Creed on Stadia on my 4K TV, Linux workstation, MacBook, Chromebook, and phone. I played on whatever screen was available to me when the urge to game hit me. I played when it was convenient and when I wanted.

I didn't have to download anything, update anything, patch anything, troubleshoot anything, make storage space for anything, or manage anything. I just opened a web browser or launched the Stadia app, plugged in my controller and started playing. I've played at the office, bathroom, bedroom, living room, and even at a friend's house. My gaming rig is with me everywhere and anywhere there's good internet service.

How can you experience that and ever want to go back to the limitations of console and PC gaming? So for me, any gaming platform that doesn't recreate this experience is DOA. Hence, my lack of enthusiasm for the next generation consoles and graphics cards.

Stadia is the forbidden fruit of the gaming world. Once you've eaten it and gained the knowledge, there's no going back. And this what the luddites, gatekeepers, and toxic elements within the gaming culture fear. There's a tectonic shift in the gaming horizon and Stadia is rewriting the rules on what it means to be a gamer and setting new expectations for what a gaming platform should look like.

Unfortunately, classism has always existed in gaming culture. PC gamers look down on console gamers. Console gamers look down on mobile gamers. Hardcore gamers look down on casual gamers. Gamers who build their rig look down on those who bought theirs. And so on.

Stadia, in one fell swoop, eliminates this nonsense. It has, or will when it's fully realized, make the luxury of gaming accessible to peasants.

Stadia has completely shattered the barrier to entry for gaming. And let's be real about it, the toxic elements in the gaming stratosphere and the pseudo-gatekeepers are mad.

Stadia blurs the lines between PC, console, and mobile gaming. Hardware is irrelevant because Stadia just needs a browser to run. And regardless of hardware specs, the platform runs AAA games like a hot knife through butter. So there's nothing to be classist or elitists about. Everybody has access to the same gaming hardware, Google's data centers.

Steve just spent $500 on a console to play Destiny 2. Danny just spent $2000 building a gaming PC to play Red Dead.

Jane spent $140 and some change on Stadia. Yet, she can play both games in high fidelity on more devices and more places than Steve and Danny.

Oh, and next year, for around $60 her sister will be able to play Cyberpunk 2077 on her 3-year-old budget Dell laptop, that she got on sale.

You can see how Steve and Danny might harbor resentment towards Jane. It's the unfortunate bug in human nature. When you spend so much on hardware and out of nowhere here comes a new way of thinking that makes all your investments look dated, obsolete, or irrelevant. Let's be honest, that's got to sting.

This is where all the hate is coming from. It's coming from fear. Fear that change is coming and those who've invested a lot in the old way of gaming might be left in the past. This is why it feels like some people actively want Stadia to fail. There are even YouTubers that have confessed openly that they want Stadia to fail.

Remember when Stadia first launched, the criticism was that it wouldn't work. The argument was that unless Google had figured out how to break the laws of physics Stadia was nothing more than vaporware emanating from pipe dreams.

Well, the doubters were proven wrong. So the goal post shifted. The criticism became input latency. There's no way, I tell you, there's no way input latency wouldn't ruin the gaming experience. Unless Google practice black magic, games would play like poo poo on Stadia, the haters opined. They were all convinced FPS and fighting games wouldn't work on Stadia.

Then Digital Foundry carried out tests that Stadia's latency was similar or better than your typical console. Also, initially skeptical game developers started putting to rest that input latency was an issue. Then people from all works of life were allowed to test Stadia and once again input latency wasn't an issue.

Well, once the input latency theory was resoundingly debunked, the goal post had to shift again.

This time it was games. Stadia didn't have enough games at launch. Or the games were already available on other platforms. Or the games were old. Or there are no exclusives. Meanwhile, evidence shows that Stadia launched with just as many titles as other platform launches in recent history.

The goal post of criticism will keep shifting. It doesn't matter how good Stadia is. Those who have invested so much in the alternative gaming platforms are threatened by the revolutionary shift Stadia is bringing to gaming. So they're going to continue to look for everything wrong about Stadia, and nitpick it to death. Until they realize, begrudgingly, that Stadia and what it represents is undeniably the future of gaming.

If the vision of Stadia pans out, 10 years from now, gaming will no longer be the expensive hobby of a few. Your hardware won't matter. Your operating system won't matter. The form-factor of your preferred computing device won't matter. Your technical aptitude with computers won't matter.

The only thing that would matter is whether or not you have a reliable Internet connection.

The luddites be hatin'. They're hating because Stadia will make high-quality gaming accessible to anyone on any screen with reliable internet service on any computing device. I say let them hate. They're on the wrong side of history. They'll come around when their favorite gaming platform follows in Stadia's footsteps.

People cared about DVD and CD players until Netflix and Spotify happened. Now we can watch movies and listen to music on any screens or computing devices in our lives. DVD and CD players exist, but they're irrelevant and obsolete.

quote:

Really, because the presentations from the next-gen console platform makers hasn't exactly impressed anyone. In these trying times, when you put Stadia against any of the competition, it comes out on top.

quote:

Just like the next-gen consoles, those games don't bring anything new to the table. Valhalla is coming to Stadia, so at least I'd be able to play it on any device and screen that I own. That's the bare minimum to get me excited about any game or gaming console these days. Otherwise, it's the same old rehashed nonsense. Convince me on why I should spend $600 on an ugly box to play any of these games. If a game isn't coming to Stadia, it's stuck in the past as far as I'm concerned. Console gaming is obsolete to me. It's like trying to get me excited about DVD players. It ain't happening.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What do you want to bet that that "very common name" was only common in Germany right up around until the mid-1940's and the letter was still an H?

Either that or the shorthand for "Richard."

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Stadia provides some sanity and an outlet during this crazy time posted:

I'm new to reddit but I've enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts on Stadia. I thought I'd share why Stadia is such a boon to my life at the moment.

I got the founder's edition back in November but my family was relocating across the country during the winter, so I really only started using it when Doom Eternal dropped. I've been a lifelong gamer and have owned most systems through the early 00s but generally defaulted to Xbox given how near and dear the Halo series is to my heart (and offset thumbsticks). However, the last 8 years involved grad school, a wedding, and the birth of two children, so I just didn't really have time to sit down and enjoy a game without guilt. Indeed, when I did have 20 min, I found myself wasting a decent chunk of that loading up my original Xbox One and waiting for updates or long load screens, which just punished any attempts to fit in gaming.

But right now in the pandemic, it's been over two months of being at home with my 2 and 1 year olds while my wife and I have no family nearby to help and we are both expected to work 40 hours and see patients. Recently, I felt as if I was in a dark depression without any semblance of reprieve or a break. I started allowing myself to not feel guilty to play a video game for 5 or 10 minutes at a time when the kids were playing appropriately or I had brief breaks in my appointments. Being able to load up fantastic games instantly on my laptop or phone and jump in for minutes at a time has really helped to relieve stress and recharge my spirits when, as a dad, you rarely get a minute of "me" time. I love my family so much but that me time is so refreshing.

I love the controller, its fit is just fantastic, and it almost has me sold on aligned thumbsticks. The game library is certainly a work in progress but, having not played games for several years, I have been having a hoot playing AC:O (haven't played that series since Revelations) and honestly Stacks on Stacks has been some of the most fun I've had in a game for awhile. I definitely wish I could use my phone untethered and that I could view achievements on the app but otherwise it's been such a great experience.

If anyone has suggestions for games I can play in really short spurts (e.g., 5 to 15 min) definitely let me know. I love being able to knock out a quest in AC:O in that time but some games that I've enjoyed like Zombie Army have checkpoints that are just too distal from one another to adjust to my lifestyle.

I'm still going to get the Xbox Series X and I look forward to it but I never thought I'd see the day when I'm deciding on whether I should buy Cyberpunk on a next gen system that will cost several hundred dollars or a brand-new platform that is basically just an app or a controller!

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I used to enjoy games like X, Y and Z (pick from attached list A). However then life happened (add your own details) and I became unable to game. When I did try gaming I was bestruck by UPDATES. Now I'm trying stadia, I really enjoy X and my spouse loves Y (pick from attached list B). I did have a problem with (insert shortcoming that can easily be fixed with update) but I can no longer imagine spending $500 on a console (be vague!). I'm also looking forward to Cyberpunk.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Not having the time to play games with 3 kids is a thing but I just played the entirety of Nioh 2 in less than a month (A game not appearing on Stadia) while kids were asleep.

Our summer holiday starts in July so I'm planning to get FFVII remake for that (Also not appearing on Stadia)

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Mirificus posted:

5 months ago

I really wish people would understand that eating the forbidden fruit is why we die. Because of loving Stadia, we're no longer walking around naked and now we die.

And childbirth sucks for women.

And snakes don't have any legs.

Somehow, these punishments seem really bizarre.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Love to carry a controller, USB cable, a USB A to C adapter and squint at the tiny text and glare on my phone while idling for an hour in my car.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I see they finally gave the astroturfers an updated set of talking points.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Look at how much more Convenient And Accessible™ this is than just using a Switch.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ngl I'd love it if Stadia or GFN actually took off and worked great.

The idea of it is awesome its googles execution which misses the mark.

Also I think I asked this before but I don't remember anyone saying one way or the other.

If I am subscribed to pro and I buy a game I get 4k but if my pro sub lapses I can still play the game just not at 4k with 5.1 right?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
You might not get 5.1 surround even with Pro. Stadia uses uncompressed PCM for surround, which some receivers don't support. It's a lovely way to do surround (especially when it's being streamed along with a loving game) but I'm guessing it's because Google doesn't want to pay licensing fees to Dolby and/or DTS. Or maybe there's not a fast enough way to compress and stream audio over the internet on the fly?

I've seen quite a few complaints from people on r/stadia from people who paid for Pro solely to be able to play with surround sound, only for Stadia to stream them something unusable. The complaints always receive crickets in response, so I'm guessing those people are out of luck. :allears:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

...! posted:

You might not get 5.1 surround even with Pro. Stadia uses uncompressed PCM for surround, which some receivers don't support. It's a lovely way to do surround (especially when it's being streamed along with a loving game) but I'm guessing it's because Google doesn't want to pay licensing fees to Dolby and/or DTS. Or maybe there's not a fast enough way to compress and stream audio over the internet on the fly?

I've seen quite a few complaints from people on r/stadia from people who paid for Pro solely to be able to play with surround sound, only for Stadia to stream them something unusable. The complaints always receive crickets in response, so I'm guessing those people are out of luck. :allears:

But I was told 4k 60fps 5.1!!!

Have I been sold lies?

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

quote:

Havent been able to find 1 single online game of doom in almost a week.

Is online gaming on stadia just super rare or lower player bases? I'm gutted as I was really looking forward to battlemode it was one of the things that sold me on doom. It needs cross play added asap.

"Hmmm, this new Doom Eternal game looks pretty cool, I'm especially looking forward to the multiplayer in it, Stadia sounds like the perfect for for me!"

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

ngl it would be great if every streaming service cratered and died

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Stux posted:

ngl it would be great if every streaming service cratered and died

Why?

Legit asking.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Why?

Legit asking.

Stux is against non-ownership methods of content access, and streaming is a way to prevent the end user from having local access to the data they paid for.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Barudak posted:

Stux is against non-ownership methods of content access, and streaming is a way to prevent the end user from having local access to the data they paid for.

GFN gets around this though. If the publishers were more on board it would be great.

:shrug:

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
I absolutely love digging through my games' files looking at art assets, finding music stored as mp3s or ogg files, installing or even making mods. None of that is even remotely possible with a streaming service, and it would be really horrible if that went away forever.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

A good poster posted:

I absolutely love digging through my games' files looking at art assets, finding music stored as mp3s or ogg files, installing or even making mods. None of that is even remotely possible with a streaming service, and it would be really horrible if that went away forever.

With Stadia you are right but with GFN it doesn’t change that.

I’d personally like a streaming service that worked along side my current library that wasn’t getting hosed over by publishers.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

it should be extremely telling that GFN offering a service where you simply play games you have already paid for and own is resulting in publishers changing their terms of use to explicitly bar it, and what that implies for the concept of game streaming in the future rather than an idealised version of what could be offered.

in an ideal perfect world there would be no problem with game streaming. in actual reality any move towards streaming of games becoming popular and widely used will be used to offer less, charge more, and allow people less access and freedom of use which is a negative both to individual users and games as a whole.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

With Stadia you are right but with GFN it doesn’t change that.

I’d personally like a streaming service that worked along side my current library that wasn’t getting hosed over by publishers.

Stream on your own, use Parsec.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Barudak posted:

Joke's on him from the 80's you pay for a license not for the property of the software.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

limaCAT posted:

Joke's on him from the 80's you pay for a license not for the property of the software.

everyone knows this, that's not the issue with streaming vs. downloads. if you download a game on steam or whatever of course you don't own the rights to the game but you have access to the data on your computer and can view/modify it as you wish, even crack and archive it if you know what you're doing. that's the difference

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

When is xcloud? I want to see racked xb1s' trounce stadia on performance and resolution somehow

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

When is xcloud? I want to see racked xb1s' trounce stadia on performance and resolution somehow

In preview right now. You get access to more games for free than Stadia has in its entire catalog.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Real hurthling! posted:

it's been in live beta for a long rear end time bud

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-game-streaming/project-xcloud#participate

It performs about as well as Stadia, but also it has an actual game library full of games you like with other people online to play with.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I mean the launch

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

...! posted:

Oh wow. Wooooooow. That's nuts!

Dolby AC3 and DTS are both ancient formats designed to for 90s tech. You can encode them on a modern CPU basically for free. A quick test of ffmpeg shows it encoding AC3 at 400-500x, so doing 1x real-time encoding would take less than 1% of a CPU. DTS is probably heavier but you get the point. And just using AC3 would be plenty good enough, games are not known for their subtle sound qualities.

Also lol at streaming uncompressed audio, 6 channels of 48khz PCM is 2 gigabytes per hour. Even Tidal isn't that dumb.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Real hurthling! posted:

I mean the launch

They could launch it right now and it would absolutely murder Stadia in terms of features, library and population if not streaming quality.

It's telling that they don't think it's ready yet.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Stadia was all an op to make second wave services look good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

Stadia was all an op to make second wave services look good.

It's more of a work. Like in the end it turns out Undertaker is behind it to transfer his soul into cyberspace

Maybe Stadia should work with the McMahons