Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Anyone got any hints for finding the Dungeon in a 5162020 world?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

Anyone got any hints for finding the Dungeon in a 5162020 world?

It's under a living tree with special coloured leaves. I've seen brown leaves, but heard about yellow and other colours too

It's the only weird coloured tree in 05162020

edit: also the Chippy Couch might not be near the Old man, I found it deep within the dungeon

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Psychedelicatessen posted:

It's under a living tree with special coloured leaves. I've seen brown leaves, but heard about yellow and other colours too

It's the only weird coloured tree in 05162020

Thanks, that was easy once I knew what to look for. Now I just gotta find the Old Man.
Will my Lifeform Analyser pick him up?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Smiling Demon posted:

You get a penalty for less than 300 'blocks' of liquid. At 50 'blocks' you can't fish successfully at all.
I think it's 200 for honey.

There's also exactly one thing you can catch in it if the Angler doesn't have a quest for it.

EDIT: Also I've heard that the date seed doesn't have the Old Man in it?

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

I transplanted a honey pool back to my base for an infinite liquid farm that apparently doesn't work in 1.4, but it turned out to have been a good choice anyway. Honeyfins are the only possible catch, which makes it an excellent farm for seafood dishes for the tier 3 food buff. If you haven't entered Hard mode yet they're also a great source of good healing potions (you can consume the fish for 120? hp)

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Psychedelicatessen posted:

edit: also the Chippy Couch might not be near the Old man, I found it deep within the dungeon
The what now?

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

There's a popular streamer who is friends with the devs and they put his iconic couch into the game.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

So how do I find the Old Man? The wiki says he's in an underground house, but not where.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

The Lone Badger posted:

So how do I find the Old Man? The wiki says he's in an underground house, but not where.
If you are using the special seed, then he is below the dungeon tree. You need to go down and he should be in the first proper Dungeon room that you find. Go further down and you get splattered by guardians as per usual.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Wilekat posted:

I transplanted a honey pool back to my base for an infinite liquid farm that apparently doesn't work in 1.4, but it turned out to have been a good choice anyway. Honeyfins are the only possible catch, which makes it an excellent farm for seafood dishes for the tier 3 food buff. If you haven't entered Hard mode yet they're also a great source of good healing potions (you can consume the fish for 120? hp)

Honey duplication does work in 1.4, but it's absurdly slow and I haven't found a pump-based method that works. Build an overhang in this configuration. B is blocks, A is air, D is where you drop the liquid, P is where you pick it back up. Wait for it to settle, pick it up, repeat. It may occasionally not give enough honey to pick back up, in which case you'll need to raid the pool instead, but it is a positive loop.

ADAB
ABPB
ABBB
AAAB
AAAB
AAAB
" " " " until you reach the bottom of the pool.

Or
AAADAB
AAABPB
AAABBB
AAAAAB
ABAAAB
ABBBBB
AAAAAB

For easier access to rebucketing.

That overhang method also works for water (just hold the bucket button down, with only 1 bucket in inventory) and lava (may need a slight timing or just fish the bottomless one).

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 14:06 on May 23, 2020

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
How are people getting full maps of their worlds? I cannot remember for the life of me how to do so.

Still working on pre-EOW in my current world, building biome towns for NPCs. Need to figure out Something to do for Snow, since the entire snow biome is corrupt in this world.

Also, for anyone making a new character, I would recommend doing the Drunk World Seed (5162020) just to find some Moon Lord Legs, since they are a significant mobility increase early game.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Has anyone tried out the 'not the bees' seed yet? It sounds pretty funny, but also like it would be a pain to play in.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Ashsaber posted:

How are people getting full maps of their worlds? I cannot remember for the life of me how to do so.

Full map? Using an app, try Terramap.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

Has anyone tried out the 'not the bees' seed yet? It sounds pretty funny, but also like it would be a pain to play in.

I made one and just explored it a little bit. The answer is yes.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Did they change how you trade strange plants for dyes? I dont see an option at the dyer and also I haven't seen any strange plants in my master difficulty map I'm playing on.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Hihohe posted:

Did they change how you trade strange plants for dyes? I dont see an option at the dyer and also I haven't seen any strange plants in my master difficulty map I'm playing on.

They didn't change how it works, but they are now post-hardmode only.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Ultiville posted:

Lame

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

On the plus side, you can now Journey-Mode research strange plants so you will never need to repeatedly comb the world for them again once you get there.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Ultiville posted:

Honestly I like this change, gives more of an incentive to try out the mundane dyes first and makes the difference between normal and hardmode even more distinct

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Well I made an underworld-spanning hellbridge in preparation for WoF, but I want to make a Cell Phone before I go into hardmode. The only mats I have left are Angler rewards.

Time to dig some trenches to stop corruption spread, then spend a lot of time sleeping.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013
Weird. I tried loading up my save and it seems like my Journey world converted into an Unknown Classic world? Not sure what the hell happened. I hope it didn't get corrupted. I'm going to try the old trick that lets you change a world's difficulty and see if that fixes it.

Edit: I can still access it with a Classic character, and everything seems fine, but I haven't figured out how to change it back into a Journey world yet. The old trick to hex edit the world file to change the difficulty doesn't seem to be working.

Sailor Dave fucked around with this message at 19:09 on May 23, 2020

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

BisbyWorl posted:

Well I made an underworld-spanning hellbridge in preparation for WoF, but I want to make a Cell Phone before I go into hardmode. The only mats I have left are Angler rewards.

One of the best changes they made is that the Angler will no longer give you fishfinder mats that you already have.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013
Whew, managed to get my world changed back to Journey. Had to mess around with some other numbers. Don't think I'll be leaving any worlds on the cloud anymore, that might have been what screwed it up.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It shouldn't have - cloud saves are more like a backup, your world is still also saved locally as far as I'm aware. It should only download map files if the local file is deleted.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Ok, so we accidentally killed the wall of flesh and activated hard mode. It's been so long that we forgot dropping the voodoo doll did anything. Anyway we promptly get murdered about ever 5 mins because we were super under geared. What eves. Right now I'm running a yoyo bag melee guy but I have about 5 minions following me around (if you count the nimbus clouds and spider sentry as a minions) I was wondering if I should just say gently caress it and go full minion master. Anyone try this yet on hardmode? The decrease in DEF would be awful, but all those dmg buffs and full spider armor set bonus makes it seem like aslong as I can not get hit and let the minions do the work I should be ok?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

What minions are there? I really miss that little finch for dealing with peon enemies

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

codo27 posted:

What minions are there? I really miss that little finch for dealing with peon enemies

There's a rare staff that drops from slimes that gives you a baby one, but you'd have to grind hard to get a decent chance of getting it, which is kind of a waste so early in the game.

The Queen Bee is your first chance at real summon equipment, and you can craft her drops into a staff to summon hornets.
Once you're at Hellstone tier you can craft an imp staff.
Once you hit Hardmode, find a spider cave, as the drops from that make the next summon set including spider minions.
You can also craft mini-twins from the drops from the Twins.

After that you're mostly looking at drops from bosses and events until the lunar pillars.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

There's also a good new early game summoning staff (and fishing rod and a weird bow) from fishing during blood moons.

Lugubrious!
Jun 12, 2001

Cuntellectual posted:

They might not be good for killing much other than critters but setting a bunch of dart traps up really makes it start to feel like a proper fortress.

I have a whole bunker setup below my flying castle base that has a bunch of activators and pressure plates for the upgraded dart and spear traps from the temple biome, as well as removable floors that drop into lava pits. It's actually pretty effective whenever a horde spawn happens.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Ok, so we accidentally killed the wall of flesh and activated hard mode. It's been so long that we forgot dropping the voodoo doll did anything. Anyway we promptly get murdered about ever 5 mins because we were super under geared. What eves. Right now I'm running a yoyo bag melee guy but I have about 5 minions following me around (if you count the nimbus clouds and spider sentry as a minions) I was wondering if I should just say gently caress it and go full minion master. Anyone try this yet on hardmode? The decrease in DEF would be awful, but all those dmg buffs and full spider armor set bonus makes it seem like aslong as I can not get hit and let the minions do the work I should be ok?
Spider armor and minions are still one of the most powerful things you can do upon immediately entering hardmode. The spider minions are really good, though not the best for bossing unless you put a background wall on your arena. Be sure to get a whip too. The whip from wall of flesh is quite good with its explosions, and the whip you can craft from a frozen core is also fine.

If I don't do spider armor and am doing ranged instead, I'll usually start by farming up an onyx blaster for general purpose use, and then farming mimics for a Daedalus Stormbow to use against bosses. It has been nerfed pretty substantially in 1.4, but even then it is still quite strong. That combo is still enough to take out fishron, and the tsunami is good enough to last you until pillar weapons.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Tenebrais posted:

You can also craft mini-twins from the drops from the Twins.

Those have been my hardmode mainstay until I got the mini-UFOs from the Martian Saucer to replace them.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I don't have to bother with background walls when trenching area to counter biome spread right?

Also is there a good visual guide to setting up an arena that meets the requirements for the Old One's Army event?

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 21:14 on May 23, 2020

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I just got finished building my mob farm for a nazar and the very next skull dropped it... On the one hand it's nice to have but I am a little disappointed it never went into action.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I just recently got very lucky tooling around the jungle and getting an early Bezoar drop, now I need a Nazar. And everything for a cell phone, before I beat up WoF.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

everybody always complains about the Angler rewards when it comes to making the Cell Phone, but in my experience it's always been the Traveling Merchant's items that take forever and a half to obtain

god drat Lifeform Analyzer :argh:

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I've done over 50 angler quests on this playthrough and I've yet to get a single informational accessory.

One of the people I'm playing with has already finished his cellphone, so it's just rotten luck on my part. :(

Like I have the 200 Angler quests achievement, but I've only ever managed to complete the cellphone once

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

As of 1.4, if you have the Angler rewards in your inventory, he won't give you any dupes until you have all of them.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

John Lee posted:

As of 1.4, if you have the Angler rewards in your inventory, he won't give you any dupes until you have all of them.

Still need to hit the rng required for the actual drops. I think I was at 60+ quests on one server and didn't have the fishing line yet... of course, when I get the first accessory in my SP world, it's the fishing line.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

My dad's a fisherman. His dad was. I grew up by the water and still live here, grew up catching fish off the wharf.

gently caress fishing in video games. I will never have time for that poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Does anyone know if a hallowed ocean is loved or hated by the wizard?