Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

FoolyCharged posted:

I dunno, the regenerative armor was good and meant you never got stuck going into a fight where a stiff breeze kills you.

Which is somehow an unpopular opinion these days.

Thing is that between regen armour and health packs, it's actually not a bad idea to have both since it gives you a safety net but you still have reason to push forward

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
The No One Lives Forever games have the best single player FPS campaign.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Regenerating health just means the developers dont have to spend as much time making sure that a battle is balanced.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

The No One Lives Forever games have the best single player FPS campaign.

Is there anywhere to get these games on PC?

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

Unfortunately nope, because the rights to NOLF are stuck in IP hell through numerous acquisitions. The first game was published by Fox Interactive, who was bought by Vivendi who was acquired by Activision. NOLF 2 was published by Sierra, which was also owned by Vivendi. But maybe the IP is owned by the original developer Monolith who was purchased by Warner Bros. No one really knows and apparently there's not enough interest to work it out, which is really sad because a HD remake of the NOLF games would be so cool... or at least a GOG release. :sigh:

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 06:04 on May 23, 2020

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

or at least a GOG release. :sigh:

even sim city 3000 made it out of licensing limbo to get a gog port... there's always hope brah

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

The White Dragon posted:

even sim city 3000 made it out of licensing limbo to get a gog port... there's always hope brah

NOLF's rights are so stupid there is a 0% chance it ever gets out of limbo, 20 years on it's such a complicated hellscape vs. probable sales that it's not worth even spending a dime

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

MrQwerty posted:

NOLF's rights are so stupid there is a 0% chance it ever gets out of limbo, 20 years on it's such a complicated hellscape vs. probable sales that it's not worth even spending a dime

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

the rights situation for NOLF is so actively hosed that there is an easily discoverable site (and i do mean *easy*, it was straight-up featured on a few gaming blogs) that was/is? offering downloads of NOLF 1 and 2 to the first X visitors to their site per day, with the understanding that if anyone definitively had grounds to sue them for removal they would

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

food court bailiff posted:

the rights situation for NOLF is so actively hosed that there is an easily discoverable site (and i do mean *easy*, it was straight-up featured on a few gaming blogs) that was/is? offering downloads of NOLF 1 and 2 to the first X visitors to their site per day, with the understanding that if anyone definitively had grounds to sue them for removal they would

Almost sounds like a plan to lure out whoever does think they own the rights to sue for it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Almost sounds like a plan to lure out whoever does think they own the rights to sue for it.

I cant remember if it was NOLF or another game but some remaster devs literally tried this and no one bit so they still couldnt figure out who owned it

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

While I know Civ6 isn’t a great game, it’s free on Epic Games. Not free to play, free forever. Looks like they previously offered GTA5 for free.

My unpopular opinion: Epic Games good??

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

While I know Civ6 isn’t a great game, it’s free on Epic Games. Not free to play, free forever. Looks like they previously offered GTA5 for free.

you dont get the DLC i think and the game is unplayable without that so you still have to flush money down the toilet

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Shibawanko posted:

you dont get the DLC i think and the game is unplayable without that so you still have to flush money down the toilet

I spent my afternoon playing start citizen don't talk to me about unplayable you buffoon

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

civ 6 is trash, Civ 5 forever

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Have they added a shopping cart to their attempt to choke out other companies?

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

My unpopular opinion: Tencent good??

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

d3lness posted:

attempt to choke out other companies?

Oh no this corporation is competing (:barf:) with other corporations what the heck?!?!?!?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Rutibex posted:

civ 6 is trash, Civ 5 is trash, civ 2 forever

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Oh no this corporation is competing (:barf:) with other corporations what the heck?!?!?!?

It's not really healthy competing though. There is a difference between competing by providing a better product (they aren't) and competing by choking other companies out through sheer volume of cash. Purchasing exclusivity is not the same as being a better store front. I'm all for watching Steam burn to the ground at this point, but let's not act like Epic is some sort of savior disrupting the status quo. I can promise you that once Epic becomes the store to beat they'll start loving over devs and users some just like Valve.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

No corporation competes by offering better product. (Sorry, not an opinion, so sue me!)

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

3D Megadoodoo posted:

No corporation competes by offering better product. (Sorry, not an opinion, so sue me!)

You need to find a new hobby. This performative posting isn't panning out for you.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

he’s right though, it’s pretty hard to just “be better” for a storefront app (and yet somehow both the epic games launcher and GOG galaxy are far better than steam anyway)

epic pays developers more so idk where all this handwringing about not being “healthy” comes from either. boo hoo you need to click a different storefront for some games if you want them the second they come out, lmao that you wrote all those words about it like a console warrior on the playground though

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

he’s right though, it’s pretty hard to just “be better” for a storefront app (and yet somehow both the epic games launcher and GOG galaxy are far better than steam anyway)

epic pays developers more so idk where all this handwringing about not being “healthy” comes from either. boo hoo you need to click a different storefront for some games if you want them the second they come out, lmao that you wrote all those words about it like a console warrior on the playground though

The shop is dogshit though, but that part wasn't an unpopular opinion to begin with so :shrug:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

JollyBoyJohn posted:

civ 6 is trash, Civ 5 is trash, civ 2 forever

this is also an acceptable opinion. my D&D group has substituted a weekly online Civ 5 game for in-person D&D. i would have preferred Civ 2, but they all agreed on 5 and its a very nice game.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

I've gotten lkke 50 games for free on Epic now, some of them are even worth playing.

Epic good.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Fashionable Jorts posted:

I've gotten lkke 50 games for free on Epic now, some of them are even worth playing.

Epic good.

It's taught me how poo poo my 800€ computer from 201? is.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Here's how you rate the civ games

Civ2
The Baba Yetu one
The one where Leonard Nimoy can praise you for discovering plastics
Sean Bean
The Rest

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

birth of the federation is the only good star trek game

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Shibawanko posted:

birth of the federation is the only good star trek game

Have you played Judgement Rites and 25th Anniversary? I'm not saying they're good, just want to know your frame of reference.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

3D Megadoodoo posted:

It's taught me how poo poo my 800€ computer from 201? is.

That's an old computer!

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Have you played Judgement Rites and 25th Anniversary? I'm not saying they're good, just want to know your frame of reference.

i havent, those look like sort of the same game? i like botf because you can play as the cardassians and conquer TNG races and it's not janky like every other star trek game ive tried

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
I play all my games with subtitles off now. I'd read it too quickly and ruin the impact of the spoken dialog. My immersion!

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

i am having a tremendously fun time with w101 so far, it’s like a ridiculous bombastic low-budget action cartoon from 2007

i can definitely see why opinions are very split on it, though. it reminds me kinda of a cross between astral chain and nier:a but way more overtly goofy and fun and self-aware

it has the platinum games specialty or tons of useful poo poo in the shop and no reasonable income to get most of it for ages, though. at least the block and dodge moves are like one coin each (as opposed to 10,000 for everything else) so you know they’re worth grabbing literally the second the store opens

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Here's how you rate the civ games

Civ2
The Baba Yetu one
The one where Leonard Nimoy can praise you for discovering plastics
Sean Bean
The Rest

all civ games (contemporary and future) become obsolete once Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri was released

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

We need a new (proper, like 3) Battle Isle game.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Civ 4 was the last good civ game, since it was the last one that let you have ten thousand troops occupy one tile and sweep your opponents aside effortlessly.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

i am having a tremendously fun time with w101 so far, it’s like a ridiculous bombastic low-budget action cartoon from 2007

i can definitely see why opinions are very split on it, though. it reminds me kinda of a cross between astral chain and nier:a but way more overtly goofy and fun and self-aware

it has the platinum games specialty or tons of useful poo poo in the shop and no reasonable income to get most of it for ages, though. at least the block and dodge moves are like one coin each (as opposed to 10,000 for everything else) so you know they’re worth grabbing literally the second the store opens

That's also a very Platinum thing, MGR made you buy the block and dodge too

All the background Wonderful Ones are hilarious, they all have unlockable bios and backstories and jokes even in just their names and jobs. Some are a bit weird.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Civ 4 was the last good civ game, since it was the last one that let you have ten thousand troops occupy one tile and sweep your opponents aside effortlessly.

unit stacking is an abomination in civ. go play Heroes of Might and Magic

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Blood Bowl 2 is fun as hell, but getting bluescreened in turn 14 was extremely uncool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Stellaris is the current best civ game