Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Daikloktos posted:

Adult Swim delivers yet again. Hopefully they can shore up a good relationship, they're losing all their Fox syndication and need a strong stable.

Is that really true? If adult swim survives as a programming block it’ll be much better when half of its lineup isn’t Seth McFarlane reruns.

Edit: woah Tuva and Bertie, that’s great news. That show clearly deserved a second season.

Ogmius815 fucked around with this message at 02:25 on May 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

gently caress yes.

EDIT: I just need and want more Speckle in my life.

Jonas Albrecht fucked around with this message at 02:41 on May 23, 2020

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
gently caress yes, Tuca and Bertie. The last season of Bojack was so crappy I still need this as a palette cleanser.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Pararoid posted:

gently caress yes, Tuca and Bertie. The last season of Bojack was so crappy I still need this as a palette cleanser.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

Since you're asking, the first half was just rubbish; far too many ideas crammed into one space with no real payoff. For example, what did that old fashioned pig add, like at all?

Then you've got the second to last episode, which had to opportunity to almost redeem it all with some excellent dialogue, but then so many dumb TV fakeouts just ruin it. Then the final episode feels like a napkin sketch for the next season, but this time more compressed than ever, only to end on an extremely drawn out conclusion to a plot point that was written on the wall years ago (Bojack and Diane aren't a good match!!). If the show had just ended on the 2nd to last episode it would have at least been poignant.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
You’re asking what impact the investigative journalist who was ultimately responsible for torpedoing Bojack’s career was?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Pararoid posted:

For example, what did that old fashioned pig add, like at all?

You mean the jovial grim reaper trailing just a half-step behind Bojack (who thought his past was behind him) having gotten closer with every episode? Sorry if that did nothing for you.

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

I was born ready. I'm Ron Fucking Swanson.

Chronojam posted:

You mean the jovial grim reaper trailing just a half-step behind Bojack (who thought his past was behind him) having gotten closer with every episode? Sorry if that did nothing for you.

And that jovial grim reaper turned the second interview against Bojack. If she hadn't been involved, it would have been another softball no consequence interview, and Bojack's public image would have been further rehabilitated.

Instead, it ruined him.

Yeah, no impact at all from that character, you nailed it Pararoid.

some kind of bug
Jul 10, 2011

Is this the first time a streaming show has been saved by a network

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
If even half of that characters time on screen, in this extremely crammed season, was dedicated to those plot points then I wouldn't have a particular complaint.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
tuca and bertie was one of my favorite things i've seen in a while and it's assumed cancellation hurt me in a way that i didn't think media could anymore. i'm happy it's back, i hope they don't lose too much in the transition to adult swim

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

So glad Tuca and Bertie is back, that show is a treasure.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Will buildings still have boobs? Asking the important questions here.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I really doubt Hannawalt would stymie her own creative vision that much just to get back on air. Tuca and Bertie without the building boobies and 8 ft tall titty-plants wouldn’t be Tuca & Bertie.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Adult Swim gives no fucks about what it airs, I doubt there will be significant changes.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Venture Bros got away with bare hormone-imbalanced male breasts, pretty sure as long as they're not on a lady S&P is fine.

Nobody will be allowed to smoke, if you even still are on Netflix anyway

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
There's an enormous gulf between "investigative journalists moved the plot along" and "the investigate journalists were fun characters to spend huge chunks of time with." I love this show but those scenes were dreadful on the first watch and I haven't revisited the last season in part because I have no interest sitting through them again.

Season was good for me otherwise, though.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
I thought the journalists were extremely funny

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

hughesta posted:

I thought the journalists were extremely funny

the jarring discontinuity between the horrible things bojack had both done and had coming to him and this pair of 40s screwball comedy journalists was extremely good. that end stretch is pretty rough otherwise, you need some levity - plus them never getting together fit the theme of life being unlike fiction conventions.

i loved the season a lot but i think i liked the back half more than the front.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

CoolCab posted:

the jarring discontinuity between the horrible things bojack had both done and had coming to him and this pair of 40s screwball comedy journalists was extremely good. that end stretch is pretty rough otherwise, you need some levity - plus them never getting together fit the theme of life being unlike fiction conventions.

i loved the season a lot but i think i liked the back half more than the front.

I think the season works best as a whole, splitting it was an unfortunate necessity to get every episode made. There's definitely a building story in the first half and some parts that feel like conclusions, but the real payoff of the season is entirely in the back half.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I thought their old timey manner of speak and of dress was a long-form joke about "the past" coming back to bite you on the rear end

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Bust Rodd posted:

I thought their old timey manner of speak and of dress was a long-form joke about "the past" coming back to bite you on the rear end

Bingo

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Bust Rodd posted:

Had a thing about this half written but got distracted, this is it. It's a neat and very literal on-the-pig-nose metaphor for a not-actually-harmless, cheeky, and fun Hollywoo past catching up to him with actual consequences.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm sure there fact that it was Paget Brewster had something to do with it too. She was basically a more energetic Sadie Doyle.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Bust Rodd posted:

What a good show.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Bust Rodd posted:

...I am the loving worst at picking up on even basic metatextual stuff like that on my own, considering it took me this post to get that.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Other people probably still have this thread in their bookmarks, so how about a rewatch party? Seems like a good amount of time has passed

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Sentient Data posted:

Other people probably still have this thread in their bookmarks, so how about a rewatch party? Seems like a good amount of time has passed

This is a pretty emotionally taxing show to binge, especially during the worst global crisis of this century.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Yeah I may not have the fortitude to go through the show again at any point, which I'm ok with.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Agreed about Bojack, but with the recent good news what about a Tuca and Bertie rewatch?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Sentient Data posted:

I think it would be cool. I'm sure there's a bunch of foreshadowing I missed on the first go through.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I’m always down for a Bojack rewatch. I usually rewatch it before a new season and, welp.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah I just rewatched it before the final season but a full rewatch knowing the consequences of everyone’s actions would be weird.

It’ll be neat to see if anything seeded in S1 gets really trippy. RBW and Lisa Hannawalt’s team are so smart, holy moley.

Also I know this show cast a bunch of amazing women but shout out Lisa Kudrow she did such an amazing job, Bojack’s best partner by far.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Pararoid posted:

Since you're asking, the first half was just rubbish; far too many ideas crammed into one space with no real payoff. For example, what did that old fashioned pig add, like at all?

Then you've got the second to last episode, which had to opportunity to almost redeem it all with some excellent dialogue, but then so many dumb TV fakeouts just ruin it. Then the final episode feels like a napkin sketch for the next season, but this time more compressed than ever, only to end on an extremely drawn out conclusion to a plot point that was written on the wall years ago (Bojack and Diane aren't a good match!!). If the show had just ended on the 2nd to last episode it would have at least been poignant.

Ending on Bojacks death would have been the opposite of poignant and completely undermined whats interesting about the show.

Thats what he wants at that point, you suicide and then everyone is sad/sorry/better off without you. Your story has the tragic conclusion you hoped it would.

Actually keeping going is the dificult thing.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

does adult swim still do 15 minute cartoons? i usually find that to be an optimal length for animated comedy

Adult Swim peaked with Sealab 2021 and Harvey Birdman: Attorney At Law

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Naw, Adult Swim has aged like a fine wine. They are the one non-streaming place where creators can just do weird off the wall poo poo that would never fly anywhere else.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

On the other hand, that also meant that they gave us the Million Dollar Extreme show.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I was thinking more and more about the show, and I realized that on the last scene with Gina, she has almost become a female version of Bojack.

Finally caught a break and given a part that propelled her to super stardom. Bojack did something extremely horrible to her, and chose not to tell the truth because if she did, it's all she would've been known for.

Well the show ended anyway, and now she was acting almost unmanageable and neurotic by the end.

Out of all the horrible poo poo that Bojack admitted to in the second interview, the truth about what happened to Gina never came out.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Entropic posted:

Adult Swim peaked with Sealab 2021 and Harvey Birdman: Attorney At Law

Rick & Morty is a very, very good show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bust Rodd posted: