Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

ShadowHawk posted:

Yeah the only reasonable way to do this is by excess mortality stats

that's still going to need a lot of expert work to figure out, as actions taken have had a lot of other effects as well.

a notable example is that in sweden, despite the lack of a hard lockdown, the seasonal flu which was just getting going was by all appearances fully stopped within a week or two from social distancing precautions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

that's still going to need a lot of expert work to figure out, as actions taken have had a lot of other effects as well.

a notable example is that in sweden, despite the lack of a hard lockdown, the seasonal flu which was just getting going was by all appearances fully stopped within a week or two from social distancing precautions.

i am talking about something like this https://www.ft.com/content/6bd88b7d-3386-4543-b2e9-0d5c6fac846c

not sure how much expert work went into this, but the underlying analysis seems basically:
1) count deaths per month (or per week) for years 2009-2019, calculate averages and standard deviation to get an error margin
2) count deaths per month for 2020 and see where you end up

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Penisface posted:

i am talking about something like this https://www.ft.com/content/6bd88b7d-3386-4543-b2e9-0d5c6fac846c

not sure how much expert work went into this, but the underlying analysis seems basically:
1) count deaths per month (or per week) for years 2009-2019, calculate averages and standard deviation to get an error margin
2) count deaths per month for 2020 and see where you end up

yeah, but where the crisis has had secondary effects on people health it should be adjusted for to make the numbers truly fair. the fact that i can't go skydiving when seriously ill from covid should not be counted as an edge in survivability.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

yeah there are fewer traffic fatalities, fewer deaths from other communicable diseases, but maybe more deaths due to delayed treatment or people shy of going to the hospital. plus whatever covid throws at us. it’s definitely a useful exercise and the fact that you can see clear excess deaths means that this is an extremely serious disease. i guess what excess deaths gives you is “given the boundary condition of X covid-19 cases at the start of the crisis, what is the total effect of the interventions undertaken by a country”, which is clearly pretty useful.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

carry on then posted:

people aren’t that eager to sit at your lunch table dude

it's not my lunch table? nice try tho

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Eeyo posted:

yeah there are fewer traffic fatalities, fewer deaths from other communicable diseases, but maybe more deaths due to delayed treatment or people shy of going to the hospital. plus whatever covid throws at us. it’s definitely a useful exercise and the fact that you can see clear excess deaths means that this is an extremely serious disease. i guess what excess deaths gives you is “given the boundary condition of X covid-19 cases at the start of the crisis, what is the total effect of the interventions undertaken by a country”, which is clearly pretty useful.

sure, my only point is that it will be a pretty active research area trying to get the numbers as precise as possible. day-to-day one has to run with whatever numbers one has, but it is probably 5 years before we get really thoroughly put together country-spanning studies that will tell as complete a story as we can.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
and it'll be nearly impossible to tally the total death toll of the whole thing, factoring in the whole bringing-a-nominally-operating-medical-system-to-its-knees thing and all. lotsa people are dying of non covid poo poo because of covid. its hosed up

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

yeah; we're never going to know the full extent of what happened in some states / countries, places like georgia and florida. which is unfortunate as otherwise we'd have much better data for researchers

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

sure, my only point is that it will be a pretty active research area trying to get the numbers as precise as possible. day-to-day one has to run with whatever numbers one has, but it is probably 5 years before we get really thoroughly put together country-spanning studies that will tell as complete a story as we can.

oh yeah i agree, actually disentangling the data and saying how many people actually died of a coronavirus infection is going to be very difficult. i just hope experts can learn something from this and the next time there's a pandemic we'll be well-prepared and act accordingly

(lol)

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

allegedly florida did something shockingly smart by not allowing hospitals to toss COVID19 cases back into nursing homes. unlike new york that forced nursing/retirement homes to take them.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

FMguru posted:

my benchmark has been "what civilians in continental europe had to endure from 1938-1946"

are you and your children spending every night in a bomb shelter? have you been kidnapped, sent three countries over, and forced for spend 100 hours a week in a dark cave making parts for v2 rockets? is there a "mass rape" problem in your town or county? are you literally living the woods to avoid the red army or wehrmacht? have you been rounded up and sent to an extermination camp? no? then shut the gently caress up and stop whining about the terrible unfathomable catastrophe youre experiencing

people - ordinary people, people like you and me - managed to survive all of that, reconstructed their devastated continent, and built new lives for themselves afterwards. corona sucks, but this is a walk in the park compared to what people in living memory have managed to pull themselves through
yep

the oldest living generation in china went through a whole lot that’s unfathomable to me. basically, a brutal foreign invasion, massive famines, civil war, a violent revolution, an even bigger famine that’s the greatest famine in human history, the cultural revolution, and that just brings you to the late 70s. the country has been changing since then so fast it must be almost unrecognizable by now. it’s nuts to think about

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

fart simpson posted:

the oldest living generation in china went through a whole lot that’s unfathomable to me. basically, a brutal foreign invasion, massive famines, civil war, a violent revolution, an even bigger famine that’s the greatest famine in human history, the cultural revolution, and that just brings you to the late 70s. the country has been changing since then so fast it must be almost unrecognizable by now. it’s nuts to think about

the 1900s were not a good time to be Chinese, that is a fuckin fact.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i read a book about 1940s china and the part where the author is interviewing peasants about their lives had me in tears

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

rotor posted:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

rotor posted:

2000s are shaping up to be an improvement for china in general.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

fart simpson posted:

i read a book about 1940s china and the part where the author is interviewing peasants about their lives had me in tears

it’s insane to me that even through all that, a country of 300-400mil people rocketed to 1.3bn even with single child rules and stuff like that

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
one-child wasnt a thing till '79. two kids before that iirc

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Jonny 290 posted:

one-child wasnt a thing till '79. two kids before that iirc

iirc they called it “one child left behind”

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

mods namechange to “great beep forward” ty

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

President Beep posted:

lmao

Fatal Error
Feb 13, 2013

by sebmojo
mods please

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

President Beep posted:

mods PLEASE

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

President Beep posted:

nice

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

President Beep posted:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i beg you

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

fart simpson posted:

so there's a family my son is friends with that has an older grand-auntie and we were making smalltalk and I asked which side she was related to and it turns out she's not related to anyone but when their family was fleeing from the japanese they found her wandering around the train station or whatever alone and just took her with them. They never found her parents.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

rotor posted:

so there's a family my son is friends with that has an older grand-auntie and we were making smalltalk and I asked which side she was related to and it turns out she's not related to anyone but when their family was fleeing from the japanese they found her wandering around the train station or whatever alone and just took her with them. They never found her parents.

yep my "great uncle" in our family was like that but from germany. he very rarely talked about the war but the few stories i heard from him were terrifying

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

President Beep posted:

lmao

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
my grandfather served on a ship in the south pacific and never spoke about it once after he came home

i assume it was a big horrorshow.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
anyways i am kind of opposed to comparing this to ww2 or nam or anything else because it is a different type of terror. an invisible undetectable death cloud is not the same as bullets and planes and missiles. i'm not saying one or the other is lesser but this is difficult to parse for most of us

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Yeah plus its not a competition. Those comparisons are mostly helpful in getting people to understand how bad something might be, but anyone who'll ever be convinced already is.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Jonny 290 posted:

my grandfather served on a ship in the south pacific and never spoke about it once after he came home

i assume it was a big horrorshow.

i hope it wasn't the uss indianapolis :ohdear:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

President Beep posted:

l-Mao

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

chairman i like how

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

prefect posted:

i hope it wasn't the uss indianapolis :ohdear:

Swear to god I don't know. Nobody even mentioned the name of the ship and I do not speak with what's left of my family

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

President Beep posted:

chairman i like how

“I like how too”

-pg1, Chairman Pos’s little amber book

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
my motherboard was made by the kuomintang

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

2000 years of yospos culture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

the little amber book