Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Macaluso posted:

Why are the loading screens SO LONG

I don't mean the flight screen. I mean the actual loading screen with the island in the corner. What on EARTH could be making this game take THAT LONG to load

Does your switch have a less than perfect internet connect?

I'm asking because when playing at home it takes just over 10 seconds to get too the title screen and about that long again to go from the title screen too actually playing.
But when I was at work, it took a few minutes to get to the title screen, long enough that I thought something had broken, hell, it took a minute or so to save when shutting it down.

It turned out that Animal Crossing was trying to get online through the companies guest WiFi and kept getting a request too sign in, but since AC can't do that it would sit there until it timed out and then went too the title screen, then it would do it again before I could finally play.
I found out that if I got out of the game, and connected to the WiFi using the switch's internet screen and then went into AC it loaded up a hell of a lot faster.

I can't test this since I'm at home, but maybe try putting your switch into airplane mode before turning the game on and see if that helps with the loading time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

Goons are so nice. I love sitting on the shore changing outfits and sneezing while we all watch for stars. It's so much fun. :3:

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

Jet Jaguar posted:

I really wish the NookPhone had some sort of weather app. Maybe because it rains a lot on my island.

If you have a TV in your house, apparently it'll show you the weather forecast for your island!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Chicken Doodle posted:

Goons are so nice. I love sitting on the shore changing outfits and sneezing while we all watch for stars. It's so much fun. :3:

It was definitely a good time. Nice outfits!

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Picayune posted:

If you have a TV in your house, apparently it'll show you the weather forecast for your island!

Do you get a weather checking bonus like in Deadly Premonition?

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007
I am opening up Dog Isle! I am a dirty time traveler and have been time traveling back and forth to Redd so I have an excess of paintings and statues near the upper left beach to be picked up. Some are fake and some are real! Also some DIYs on the way up. Also there are diner neon signs for touching only.

Bamboo or wood is greatly appreciated, don't need bells.

Dodo code is

I disconnected. Had someone come in and literally take 15 paintings and some of the diner neon signs. I think taking a couple of paintings would have been enough! Especially considering there were multiples of the same painting.

DoYouHasaRabbit fucked around with this message at 14:40 on May 23, 2020

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Take your Thralls and dive back into the depths! Give us the meat and GO!
Grimey Drawer
I decided to jump back in time to get some of those cherry blossom recipes. I started playing just a few days after it ended, so I figure it’s worth time traveling for. There are maybe 3 or 4 recipes I want, so I’ll quit once I get them

I’ve discovered a few things and have a question.

1) it’s really drat hard to collect the recipes. I initially thought I’d wait for it to happen in the Southern Hemisphere, but now I know that wouldn’t work at all. Maybe you could refresh your blossom supply. No way any visitor is getting a recipe, though.

2) I’ve barely played back in early April and I already hate everything to do with the eggs. I can’t imagine almost 2 weeks of that.

3) other than turnips, is there anything to know or worry about with time travel?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Boonoo posted:

I decided to jump back in time to get some of those cherry blossom recipes. I started playing just a few days after it ended, so I figure it’s worth time traveling for. There are maybe 3 or 4 recipes I want, so I’ll quit once I get them

I’ve discovered a few things and have a question.

1) it’s really drat hard to collect the recipes. I initially thought I’d wait for it to happen in the Southern Hemisphere, but now I know that wouldn’t work at all. Maybe you could refresh your blossom supply. No way any visitor is getting a recipe, though.

2) I’ve barely played back in early April and I already hate everything to do with the eggs. I can’t imagine almost 2 weeks of that.

3) other than turnips, is there anything to know or worry about with time travel?

Oh dear. Are you doing the balloon spawning trick? Link here of how that's done.

It's the only sane way to collect all those recipes. I did it on the last few days before the cherry blossom thing ended and it still took hours, spread out over those several days.

Make sure to catch the petals when you spot them, too.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Boonoo posted:

Sweet summer child, you started after they reduced the egg spawn rates. The memes of skies and rivers full of eggs were barely an exeggeration.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

DoYouHasaRabbit posted:

I am opening up Dog Isle! I am a dirty time traveler and have been time traveling back and forth to Redd so I have an excess of paintings and statues near the upper left beach to be picked up. Some are fake and some are real! Also some DIYs on the way up. Also there are diner neon signs for touching only.

Bamboo or wood is greatly appreciated, don't need bells.

Dodo code is DSDR2

I feel like I'm a curse, even though it's not my connection: a few moments after joining, connection error. :/

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Take your Thralls and dive back into the depths! Give us the meat and GO!
Grimey Drawer

Silver Falcon posted:

Oh dear. Are you doing the balloon spawning trick? Link here of how that's done.

It's the only sane way to collect all those recipes. I did it on the last few days before the cherry blossom thing ended and it still took hours, spread out over those several days.

Make sure to catch the petals when you spot them, too.

Oh! I’ll have to try this out.

I was just tooting around the island like I normally do and getting the balloons as they spawned. Doing some jumps to swap between morning noon and night.

Geemer posted:

Sweet summer child, you started after they reduced the egg spawn rates. The memes of skies and rivers full of eggs were barely an exeggeration.

It makes me glad I didn’t start playing during the event! I think my first day was the 14th.

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007

Prowler posted:

I feel like I'm a curse, even though it's not my connection: a few moments after joining, connection error. :/
I will open later this afternoon or tonight. It sucks because I can't really stop someone from just picking up all the paintings. I might just drop 1 by 1 individually as people come and go. I'm down to 5 paintings now because of that one person who took almost all of them.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

The fishing tourney was especially bogus, you're timed and have to get as many fish as possible. But eggs still spawn when you're in the tourney. And they take up an extra text box to rub it in.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

the only sane way to do the fishing tourney is to make a poo poo ton of bait the day before

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

You get pretty much the same amount of points without bait (and it's not like you're saving any time since you had to spend ages digging up clams/crafting)

it's better to save bait for annoying rare fish

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

Gnossiennes posted:

the only sane way to do the fishing tourney is to make a poo poo ton of bait the day before

Eh. I feel like the fishing tourney wasn't really pushed out of kilter. I certainly don't recall any particular issue getting the whole thing done (I used 5 bait at first, just to see what bait was like, but didn't bother thereafter). Bunny Day for sure overstayed its welcome though, and the prizes were not great. Actually, it was the fishing tourney that finally saw me get a *wand* (as opposed to a recipe for a wand. ZIPPEEeeeeeer! :argh:). In fact, I wound up dressing out the top-floor of my house with fishing-tourney prizes, which in turn persists as a theme for the room in general. My only themed room.

Bearing in mind some of the wild mashups some people are producing, I'm waiting for an Animal Crossing mashup with Groundhog Day, where a hapless player is forced to relive Bunny Day over and over and over, until they surrender all sense of hope find the latent goodness within themselves.

Edit: The other day, I finally got a meteor shower. So I could, finally, make a wand of the zipper toy thing. But gently caress that; I won't give 'them' the satisfaction :colbert:

magimix fucked around with this message at 15:22 on May 23, 2020

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Did we ever even find out who was the madman inside the bunny suit? (Solid chance it happened but my brain rewrote itself to cover the trauma)

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Captain Hygiene posted:

Did we ever even find out who was the madman inside the bunny suit? (Solid chance it happened but my brain rewrote itself to cover the trauma)

In a shocking twist it was you the whole time.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Electric Phantasm posted:

In a shocking twist it was you the whole time.

But I swore I'd never time travel again
:negative:

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Gnossiennes posted:

No way, the only sane way to do the fishing tourney was to do it with friends. Sure, the cleanup process takes a little longer, but the total counts for everyone, and the prize points are pooled together.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
Does anyone have an extra copy of the DIY for a Bamboo Doll?

It's one of my favorite decorations and I lost it when I reset my island, of course.

I don't have much, but will trade whatever I can.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Captain Hygiene posted:

https://twitter.com/Cpt_Hygiene/status/1264005035723087873
Also why does every villager I get seem to gravitate towards public defecation :sigh:

Wait, so now you're upset villagers are engaging in your obvious voyeur kink?

Or do you just wanna make them watch?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Man now I need a new Cranky or Smug to replace Wolfgang. First two islands I get Winnie, who I would've picked if I hadn't already just got another peppy villager as my last and then clay who looks awesome but again I don't think I could put up with 3 lazy villagers.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Prowler posted:

No way, the only sane way to do the fishing tourney was to do it with friends. Sure, the cleanup process takes a little longer, but the total counts for everyone, and the prize points are pooled together.

...wait. So if you do the fishing tournament on someone else's island, and CJ says you've got points left, and you use them up, does that mean everyone else gets left with no points?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Do the villagers ever move around the rest of the island? All the houses and shops and stuff are in the middle of the lower half of the map, and I never bump into anyone but the turnip lady when I'm running around the undeveloped part. I wanted to build a little exercise area for my 3 jocks since I heard they actually use the equipment, but I don't know if they'd ever see it. I have a little flower garden and campfire and stuff at the very top of the map and I've never seen anyone there.

Also add me to the list of people considering a restart. I'm attached to my current island but I need to move basically everything -- the overall layout is fine but I didn't think to plan for roads or bridges or the sheer amount of houses I needed to place, and so half the stuff that needs to move is like a square or three out of place, which probably means I'd have to move it somewhere else entirely and then back again over two days. Every time I log in I think "oh yeah let's move that bridge so it lines up with the road" and then remember the sheer amount of moves I need to make and give up.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I've been playing for what, 2 or 3 weeks and still don't have any recipes for pavement lol

Also Flick has never visited me :(

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

SINCE WHEN ARE THERE loving TURTLES

HOW DO CATCH TURTLE

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

mdemone posted:

HOW DO CATCH TURTLE

Night time and in a river/pond

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

track day bro! posted:

Night time and in a river/pond

Nope I got em all over during the day. But they don't bite! Do they only take the bait at night?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

mdemone posted:

HOW DO CATCH TURTLE

Larger shadow than Black Bass.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I've caught like 10 turtles, I had no idea they were rare :shobon:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

precision posted:

I've been playing for what, 2 or 3 weeks and still don't have any recipes for pavement lol

Also Flick has never visited me :(

You uh, you buy them from the nook miles machine

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Phenotype posted:

Do the villagers ever move around the rest of the island? All the houses and shops and stuff are in the middle of the lower half of the map, and I never bump into anyone but the turnip lady when I'm running around the undeveloped part. I wanted to build a little exercise area for my 3 jocks since I heard they actually use the equipment, but I don't know if they'd ever see it. I have a little flower garden and campfire and stuff at the very top of the map and I've never seen anyone there.

Also add me to the list of people considering a restart. I'm attached to my current island but I need to move basically everything -- the overall layout is fine but I didn't think to plan for roads or bridges or the sheer amount of houses I needed to place, and so half the stuff that needs to move is like a square or three out of place, which probably means I'd have to move it somewhere else entirely and then back again over two days. Every time I log in I think "oh yeah let's move that bridge so it lines up with the road" and then remember the sheer amount of moves I need to make and give up.

I've got a bamboo hot springs thing up in my mountains (just like everyone else) and I've caught a villager up there maybe once. They seem to like walking along paths even if they don't go anywhere in particular so you could try that to encourage movement.

I've moved every single thing on my island. I had to do a lot of marking stuff out by drawing blocks on the ground with the design tool. My solution to the problem of needing to move things slightly was to just accept a mirrored version of the layout I wanted. Museum needs to move 2 squares over? Mark out a more centered spot but on the other side of the plaza. Though I was incredibly lucky that my plaza was exactly centered on the land mass I built it on.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

You uh, you buy them from the nook miles machine

I'm incredibly dumb lol thanks

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

mdemone posted:

Nope I got em all over during the day. But they don't bite! Do they only take the bait at night?

I've never gotten them during the day, even the active hours shows them at night for me. Are you in the Southern hemisphere, maybe it's different?

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.
Had a question about transferring items between games/switches: my wife has been playing and enjoying AC:NH since March, but is unhappy with the island she chose - mainly over the placement of Resident Services. I have just bought a second switch for the home and my understanding is that you cannot transfer New Horizons data across, and that if I started the game on the new console I could start a new island? She was wondering about transferring items from her old island/game to the new one on the new switch, bells etc but I wasn't sure it would work?

We have a digital copy of AC on our shared Nintendo account, is this transfer of items from the old switch to the new something that can be done or will she just have to start the game over on the new island? I thought it might not be possible unless I bought another copy on my nintendo account to trade too as a third party as it were.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

track day bro! posted:

I've never gotten them during the day, even the active hours shows them at night for me. Are you in the Southern hemisphere, maybe it's different?

Northern hemisphere, I've played 200+ hours since launch day and this is the first time I've ever seen them.

Also there was a software update right before it, maybe they tweaked the appearance frequencies.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
It's weird how whenever a new villager finally settles in, the first thing they talk about is how my fiance visited... days before I even recruited the villager from an island. Sure Goldie, you have memories of someone who watered flowers here before you were even loaded into the game's RAM.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
The cherry blossom trees are so pretty. I started playing after the event, but if Im reading right the regular trees turn into cherry blossom trees from April 1-10 and then go back to not existing? Theres no way to plant a pedal and grow a tree?

edit: ya no one has to answer this I just wanna bitch :mad:

Cage fucked around with this message at 17:29 on May 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

mdemone posted:

Someone has caught turtles and placed them on your island.

You too can catch turtles between the hours of 9p and 5a in the river with a very large shadow.