Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Jagged Jim posted:

So who would be the most embarrassing winner of the Asterisk Cup? One of the Canadian teams? A team that hasn't won in 20+ years/ever? a 9+ seed that wouldn't have made the playoffs normally? All of the above?

The Blackhawks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
How will Vancouver riot with social distancing?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

clean ayers act posted:

Very carefully

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Jagged Jim posted:

So who would be the most embarrassing winner of the Asterisk Cup? One of the Canadian teams? A team that hasn't won in 20+ years/ever? a 9+ seed that wouldn't have made the playoffs normally? All of the above?

One of the obvious cash grab big market teams which wouldn't have made the playoffs if not for Coronavirus. So, NYR, CHI, or MTL.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

https://twitter.com/JasonGregor/status/1263844953391681536

Hell ya 3v3 travelling hockey sideshow featuring the ghost of your worst draft picks is gonna rule.

The WJHC (and to an extent certain NHL games) has proven that 3 on 3 when losing matters is pretty crappy hockey. It's a load of cycling and usually voluntarily exiting the offensive zone to change because anything less than an absolutely premium scoring chance is not worth the risk of giving up possession.

It only works in the NHL because of everything people hate: the short period, the loser point, and the shootout. Give up an overtime goal? Oh well, you only lost your chance to flip a coin for one extra standings point.

fisting by many fucked around with this message at 19:56 on May 23, 2020

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

clean ayers act posted:

Businesses in the downtown core will require people to wear gloves and N95 masks before they break in and loot everything.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Cops can't arrest you if they gotta stay six feet away *points at temple*

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/wyshynski/status/1264289063957196800

Yeah, that'd piss me off, too, OP. Bread could singlehandedly carry the Rags into the second round of...whatever this is supposed to be.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

fisting by many posted:

The WJHC (and to an extent certain NHL games) has proven that 3 on 3 when losing matters is pretty crappy hockey. It's a load of cycling and usually voluntarily exiting the offensive zone to change because anything less than an absolutely premium scoring chance is not worth the risk of giving up possession.

It only works in the NHL because of everything people hate: the short period, the loser point, and the shootout. Give up an overtime goal? Oh well, you only lost your chance to flip a coin for one extra standings point.

Yep.

Can't be bothered to see what this league's rules are because it's going to last about three weeks and I don't care, but 3-on-3 hockey might be interesting with less ice and no offsides.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Tampa fears the bread again.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
How are they going to count the play-ins stat wise? As part of the regular playoff season? Not at all? It's going to mess with all the records.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

CBJSprague24 posted:

One of the obvious cash grab big market teams which wouldn't have made the playoffs if not for Coronavirus. So, NYR, CHI, or MTL.

Rangers were at least challenging when stuff shut down. Don't be rude.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Yeah rangers were a a bit of a long shot but right in the hunt

gently caress Carolina though

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

Aphrodite posted:

Tampa fears the bread again.

True. Luckily we get the easier path in Boston.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Carolina looked totally screwed without Hamilton. They did win their last 3 games before the end, but that was against their two cratering division rivals (Islanders and Pens) and the Red Wings.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

all of carolina was more or less dead after That Game

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

That reminds me, where can I find the Ayres For Calder Internet Movement

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

I for one am glad the NHL is rigging this draft for the Red Wings, who have done more than their share to be the dirt worst

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Alizee posted:

How are they going to count the play-ins stat wise? As part of the regular playoff season? Not at all? It's going to mess with all the records.

My guess would be it'll be treated as its own thing and not even lumped in with the playoffs scoring wise. It's gonna be just a bizarre five game stretch of likely piss poor hockey that essentially disregards the regular season and gives Montreal and Pittsburgh near identical odds of making the playoffs.

It's just an awful idea.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Imagine getting a career ending injury during this shitshow.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Imagine contracting COVID-19 during this shitshow and then your father-in-law contracting it from you before you even knew you had it and dying, and the terrific things it will do for your marriage

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Finally Mike Hoffman will be able to get away from his toxic girlfriend

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Huh, I forgot Kakko is type 1 diabetic. Prrrrobably not a good idea for him to come back even for the tournament which is a bummer. He was starting to put things together.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

Huh, I forgot Kakko is type 1 diabetic. Prrrrobably not a good idea for him to come back even for the tournament which is a bummer. He was starting to put things together.

Max Domi too. Yet another reason not to include the Habs.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

CBJSprague24 posted:

https://twitter.com/wyshynski/status/1264289063957196800

Yeah, that'd piss me off, too, OP. Bread could singlehandedly carry the Rags into the second round of...whatever this is supposed to be.

NYR are also getting a first-round pick from Carolina, which could either be theirs or the Leafs', but those could both end up being top 15 picks despite the Canes and Leafs being #12/13 in the league right now.

NYR are also a perfect team to pull off an upset. Not only Bread, but Zibanejad was absolutely in fire, and is currently on a six-game goal scoring streak including a five-goal game, and 41 goals in 57 games. Shesterkin also looks to be able to steal games, and has this looking like a completely different team than they were in the first half.

So, yeah, sucks to be Carolina, though they're a very good team.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Imagine contracting COVID-19 during this shitshow and then your father-in-law contracting it from you before you even knew you had it and dying, and the terrific things it will do for your marriage

I haven't been following news so close... Link or more details on this?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Krime posted:

I haven't been following news so close... Link or more details on this?

I could be wrong, but I think it was just guessing at a potential worse outcome.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
I imagine (hope) they will have plenty of testing before, during, and after the event and no interaction with the outside world.

Mr. Kite fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jun 8, 2020

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Maybe this will be the year Minnesota finally wins it. They'll skate the cup around an empty arena, go party in their hotel rooms, and fail to make the headlines the next day. Then in 7 years people will be like "Minnesota Wild won a Stanley Cup? Oh yeah, that was weird."

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/liam_mchugh/status/1264318607359643650?s=19

I'm glad he's actually as punchable as he seems on TV. NBC's Talent seems good at smugly putting fans in their place between Rutledge Wood and this.

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Maybe this will be the year Minnesota finally wins it. They'll skate the cup around an empty arena, go party in their hotel rooms, and fail to make the headlines the next day. Then in 7 years people will be like "Minnesota Wild won a Stanley Cup? Oh yeah, that was weird."

Columbus will win and yinzers will immediately tweet "HURR CALL US WHEN YOU WIN A REGULAR CUP".

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 03:22 on May 24, 2020

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Duckman2008 posted:

I could be wrong, but I think it was just guessing at a potential worse outcome.

Yeah it's just a thing that very well might and probably will happen.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Legit hope the Rangers beat the ever loving poo poo out of Carolina now just to see the complaining.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

CBJSprague24 posted:

https://twitter.com/liam_mchugh/status/1264318607359643650?s=19

I'm glad he's actually as punchable as he seems on TV. NBC's Talent seems good at smugly putting fans in their place between Rutledge Wood and this.

im sorry but this is a first ballot HOF self own

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

Matt Zerella posted:

Legit hope the Rangers beat the ever loving poo poo out of Carolina now just to see the complaining.

i hope tampa gets swept by a team that had no business being in the playoffs

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah it's just a thing that very well might and probably will happen.

Ah, poo poo... I was thinking this played out.

Would make for some tough family gatherings!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

fisting by many posted:

Oilers 3v3 loving rules sorry it's bad for your team

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

The Arizona Coyotes are going to win the Stanley Cup.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
The Panthers winning it would be funniest so I'm going with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

HookShot posted:

The Panthers winning it would be funniest so I'm going with that.

We’ll take it, especially as it means Islanders and Tampa tears on the way.

Also as a ‘just loving stay inside’ guy... gently caress it, I’m fine with this. Given that you have a huge amount of low income people forced to work the last few months anyway and a whole bunch of dummies who just don’t care, I’ll gladly watch the millionaire sportsmans putting themselves at risk for the entertainment of my staying inside rear end.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 08:09 on May 24, 2020