Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

In watching Extracurricular episode 8, Daeyeol (the bowl cut guy who threatened to cut an arm) is so unpleasant. I don't even think his "wife" would be with him if not for the potential violence that he could inflict. So many impulsive actions that just causes a downward spiral.

It's so tense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Dae-yeol is exactly the right kind of crazy. He's terrifying, but some of the best comedy comes from him as well. As Esco might say, he's gives off big Majima energy.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

What's majima? Also, Minhee Seo and Mr. Lee seem like they could be friends at the end of all this. I please need something happy after these ten episodes.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Majima is a character from Yakuza.

and imo if anything Dae-yeol is more intimidated by Mi-jung and not the other way around. She takes no poo poo from anybody.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

TV Zombie posted:

What's majima? Also, Minhee Seo and Mr. Lee seem like they could be friends at the end of all this. I please need something happy after these ten episodes.

Character from the Yakuza games. Scary gang leader, obsessed with the main character, in the Kawami remakes he (intentionally) becomes an exaggerated parody going through scary and out the other side.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Majima is a man living his, or anyone else's, best life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l018yH7oA04

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I started rewatching/catching up on Better Call Saul and picked back up on a rewatch of Breaking Bad I was doing awhile back. And something random that highly amused me is that one of Jessie's methhead friends does a long rant about the affect of electrical wave radiation and how its everyone and getting to all of us! Apparently Vince Gilligan was sitting on that Chuck character for awhile.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

STAC Goat posted:

And something random that highly amused me is that one of Jessie's methhead friends does a long rant about the affect of electrical wave radiation and how its everyone and getting to all of us! Apparently Vince Gilligan was sitting on that Chuck character for awhile.

That's also not too dissimilar from the plot of Gilligan's X-Files episode Drive, a top secret Navy ELF transmitter causes people's heads to explode.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cVon9KJZ9s

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

esperterra posted:

Dae-yeol is exactly the right kind of crazy. He's terrifying, but some of the best comedy comes from him as well. As Esco might say, he's gives off big Majima energy.

Daeyeol is Idiot Majima for sure and I love his relationship with Mijung.

drat Extracurricular was some good poo poo

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Riverdale Season 4 sure is something.

"He's going to take off in his rocket"

"He owns a rocket?"

"He's been building one"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I watched El Camino the other day and I loved it and now I really need that final BCS season even more.

I'm hoping Kim gets her own spinoff next, maybe in Southern Florida running grifts on old retired people.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Is there a Terrace House thread? A current participant on the show took her own life today - Hana Kimura, a 22 year old pro wrestler.

She had been cyber bullied for months because many people didn’t like her. gently caress the world, gently caress social media

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I just went off at a person on reddit who said that the post about her death should have been marked as containing spoilers because they hadn't watched this season yet..

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Anyone started watching Little Fires Everywhere yet? It just popped up on my Prime as a new series.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I watched it as it aired on Hulu. It’s pretty good. I think if you’re into the concept it’s worth checking out at least. Plus great direction from the recently-departed Lynn Shelton.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Has anyone watched Dispatches from Elsewhere. I just finished the pilot and I get the vibe that it thinks it’s really clever but is actually very simple.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Josh Lyman posted:

Has anyone watched Dispatches from Elsewhere. I just finished the pilot and I get the vibe that it thinks it’s really clever but is actually very simple.

The pilot doesn't do a good job of showing what the tone and themes of the show are, I thought the pilot was ok but after the second episode I was all aboard. It is absolutely my favourite show of the year.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Dispatches owns. It’s really fun and earnest

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Hedrigall posted:

Is there a Terrace House thread? A current participant on the show took her own life today - Hana Kimura, a 22 year old pro wrestler.

She had been cyber bullied for months because many people didn’t like her. gently caress the world, gently caress social media

I haven’t watched this season (combination of being brunt out from bingeing the previous seasons and waiting for this one to finish), but I plan to sooner or later. That is awful, and I remember in previous seasons some cast members getting upset over social media backlash. Given that show airs while they are on it (the show at times even shows them watching themselves as it airs), social media, and the comedic, sometimes harsh comments from the hosts in hindsight I’m not surprised.

I am curious to see how the show will handle this, and if we may see a change in the tone of some of the hosts. Was she still on the show or had she left already? I can’t imagine them continuing with this season if she is still on the show (it wouldn’t surprise me that they end this season either way).

Also Twitter is loving trash. My mental health was greatly improved when I deactivated my account a few years ago.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 12:47 on May 23, 2020

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

howe_sam posted:

That's also not too dissimilar from the plot of Gilligan's X-Files episode Drive, a top secret Navy ELF transmitter causes people's heads to explode.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cVon9KJZ9s

This is the one that absolutely haunted me as a child.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Hedrigall posted:

I just went off at a person on reddit who said that the post about her death should have been marked as containing spoilers because they hadn't watched this season yet..

thanks my blood's boiling at 7am

I don't watch the show but that is really a shame. :(

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I found an old history channel special about the Oak Island Mystery Hole and was like, yeah I'll watch some goobers try to dig a hole. That "season one" on the cover is a bit ambitious though, I thought. They aren't gonna be making a season two of the goobers investigating a hole show, I thought.

The seventh season just finished. Over a hundred episodes about the Lagina Brothers trying to get to the bottom of a hole.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I keep wondering how many curses Oak Island can possibly have left

Hulu just showed me recommendations "For fans of Aliens". Lol.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

I found an old history channel special about the Oak Island Mystery Hole and was like, yeah I'll watch some goobers try to dig a hole. That "season one" on the cover is a bit ambitious though, I thought. They aren't gonna be making a season two of the goobers investigating a hole show, I thought.

The seventh season just finished. Over a hundred episodes about the Lagina Brothers trying to get to the bottom of a hole.

Well ... so what's at the bottom?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

PostNouveau posted:

Another hole. It’s holes all the way down.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

PostNouveau posted:

I dunno yet I just started the show

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I love how the History channel doesn't even bother to get vaguely credible stuff on the air

Like it's amazing that they haven't just given Bob Lazar a show yet

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

precision posted:

I love how the History channel doesn't even bother to get vaguely credible stuff on the air

Like it's amazing that they haven't just given Bob Lazar a show yet

Not gonna lie, if they animated some Art Bell call-ins and aired it at 2 am I would be incredibly there for it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Not gonna lie, if they animated some Art Bell call-ins and aired it at 2 am I would be incredibly there for it.

Oh man lol that would be great

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Goddamn what an idea.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I wonder if you could make a Fair Use argument to avoid getting permission from the callers

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Here in Madison there is a local grocery store that is basically the liberal slash hippy grocery store. They'd get amazing complaints from people. So much so that a local comedy troop would do puppet shows, saying the complaints verbatim, at a local coffee shop.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

precision posted:

I wonder if you could make a Fair Use argument to avoid getting permission from the callers

I can't imagine you'd need permission from the callers. Coast to Coast didn't need permission when they reaired the episodes or edited them together into Best Of episodes.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I loved Art Bell as a kid but between marrying a 22-year old a few weeks after his previous wife died and the way he got more chud-friendly in his later years (especially on Dark Matter), I’m not sure I could listen to his old stuff again.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I loved Art Bell as a kid but between marrying a 22-year old a few weeks after his previous wife died and the way he got more chud-friendly in his later years (especially on Dark Matter), I’m not sure I could listen to his old stuff again.

Chud friendly how? On Coast to Coast he would routinely shut down any right wing dweebs who started up.

And the marriage thing is like, I don't think that's fair. If someone dies and you're really upset, jumping right into another relationship is sometimes the only thing that helps, even if it's not always the best idea, but as far as I'm aware his wife never said anything bad about him. They seemed happy.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

You can't just give away ideas like this, man.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Okay wait, I didn't know Art Bell married two 20something women from the Philippines

I mean, I guess he's got a type

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

precision posted:

Chud friendly how? On Coast to Coast he would routinely shut down any right wing dweebs who started up.

I mean it’s all relative now because this was back in ~2013, but on his XM show he was definitely more willing to hear out right-wing nuts and it came up more frequently than it ever did on C2C. I used to listen to it with a hardcore Libertarian coworker as we broke down freight in the morning and he’d instantly recognize notable callers and try to explain how their insane conservative views were actually good and cool. Art wasn’t letting Stormfront posters rant on the air or anything, but it’s one of those things you look at in retrospect and think “ok yeah, Art probably got super conservative in his old age”.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I mean it’s all relative now because this was back in ~2013, but on his XM show he was definitely more willing to hear out right-wing nuts and it came up more frequently than it ever did on C2C. I used to listen to it with a hardcore Libertarian coworker as we broke down freight in the morning and he’d instantly recognize notable callers and try to explain how their insane conservative views were actually good and cool. Art wasn’t letting Stormfront posters rant on the air or anything, but it’s one of those things you look at in retrospect and think “ok yeah, Art probably got super conservative in his old age”.

I don’t think it was Art Bell himself as much as there was a massive shift in who was involved with even the fun conspiracy theory stuff like UFOs/Majestic 12/Project Blue Book stuff. I used to love reading that kind of thing but haven’t bothered in like ten years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

precision posted:

I don't know Bell's politics later in life or even what his purported ones were at the time, but going back and listening to 90s episodes I get the distinct feeling that everyone on that show is a right wing dweeb, Bell included. The conspiracy-loving part of my brain still loves it in a novel and nostalgic way, but it all seems wrapped with brokebrain conservative thinking, even the cryptid stuff. Everyone's reasoning is so anti-science and anti-critical-thinking and there's so much blatant stupidity or naivete on display that it's pretty difficult to distinguish from today's right-wing conspiracy nuts.

That's why I mostly read and listen to conspiracy/cryptid/UFO stuff from the 50s and 60s where I'm ignorant enough about the nuances in politics at the time that they're lacking context to the degree that I can pretend they're not all the exact same idiots :cool: