Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mem
Sep 1, 2005

Field Mousepad posted:

The Conan remake was pretty drat good, well done and brutal fight scenes. I don't get why it got such bad reviews, were people expecting a shot for shot remake of the original or something?

Conan the Barbarian (1982) was an operatic filled with themes of Nietszchean existentialism and powerful symbolism (Thulsa beheading his mother, cutting his chains with the sword he finds in the tomb, the crucifixion, breaking his father's sword, etc...). Basil Poledouris composed an amazing soundtrack, the movie would work without any dialogue at all.

The remake is 3d cgi spectacle with nothing to say. I like it fine for what it is, but it's completely soulless compared to the original. Conan the Destroyer was pretty bad too, and I kind of like it as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's a real shame because the Conan remake has a fantastic cast, but yeah, just wasted.

It's not a terrible way to pass a couple hours if you're really baked tho. Jason Momoa is a babe.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I mean it didn't blow my mind or anything but it's a pretty solid action flick. It's got like 13% on rotten tomatoes and that is some bullshit.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Inspector Hound posted:

I just watched The Predator on Hulu, no, I don't know why, why do we do any of the things we do, why was the film The Predator produced, for instance?

It was a crazy roller coaster of "oh man what a cool thing to have in a sci fi action movie, look at this cult favorite cast" and "why was this funded, did they hypnotize or threaten or otherwise forcibly induce the actors into saying these things while being filmed, maybe every production and cast member along the line thought they were playing some kind of advanced improv wargame"

You’re talking about the recent Shane Black helmed reboot right? I was also expecting that to be great based only on Black’s involvement but man did it suck.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Field Mousepad posted:

I mean it didn't blow my mind or anything but it's a pretty solid action flick. It's got like 13% on rotten tomatoes and that is some bullshit.

Well the binary nature of sorting every review into fresh or not tends to skew rotten tomatoes scores to the extreme ends. I find metacritic’s system to be more informative for me because I’m willing to watch just about anything if there are any redeeming qualities

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Field Mousepad posted:

Conan? Wow yeah it's nowhere near that bad, it's like a 6/10 with tons of good practical effects and Rose McGowan is fun

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Yeah it's a serviceable but mostly forgettable action flick, that doesn't hold up to any sort of comparisons to the stone cold classic original. Definitely better than a 13% would lead you to believe though, I'd probably land it somewhere in the C+ range myself.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
That was Rose Mcgowan? :monocle:

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

beanieson posted:

You’re talking about the recent Shane Black helmed reboot right? I was also expecting that to be great based only on Black’s involvement but man did it suck.

I thought I was at least going to get something less disappointing than It: Chapter 2, which was scary enough at times but ended essentially the same way as any given episode of Charmed, but it was just an 0/2 day

e I did enjoy the running joke in It 2 that the main guy is a popular author who can't write good endings, but they didn't have to commit to it so hard

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The '82 Conan film isn't an action movie. It's far more an adventure and fantasy movie, and those are the elements I'm interested in with any Conan story. I get bored of generic fantasy action really quickly.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

feedmyleg posted:

The '82 Conan film isn't an action movie. It's far more an adventure and fantasy movie, and those are the elements I'm interested in with any Conan story. I get bored of generic fantasy action really quickly.

That was pretty much how I approached it. I don't wanna see wizards casting spells from some tower I want to see people gently caress poo poo up.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
Ready or Not was added to HBO today, it’s a fun movie

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Deadite posted:

That movie was one of the most pleasant surprises of 2019. I loved it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Can confirm. If you want a fun, charming horror comedy about eating the rich it's for you.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
ready or not spoilers that ending tho :supaburn:

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

beanieson posted:

ready or not spoilers that ending tho :supaburn:

So good.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Thanks for the Futureman reqs, friends.

In Hulu news, my wife and I started watching Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist. It's pretty formulaic, but we're both really enjoying it. If you like musical stuff check it out!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Deadite posted:

Yep, super entertaining film. Easily a must watch for anyone who hasn't seen it. Samara Weaving is amazing, and the ending got a legit "OHHH gently caress" outta me lmao.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

It was only okay, I thought. A few moments of standout performances in what was mostly average to poor acting. The score was frustratingly mediocre. A movie that was surprisingly devoid of tension, given the concept.

Edit: not trying to poo poo on anyone's experience, just can't wrap my head around it being a "must see".

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
That's fair, my take on it isnt as harsh but i wouldnt call it great or a must see or one of the best films of its year. It was fine. I found it fun and entertaining enough.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

anatomi posted:

It was only okay, I thought. A few moments of standout performances in what was mostly average to poor acting. The score was frustratingly mediocre. A movie that was surprisingly devoid of tension, given the concept.

Edit: not trying to poo poo on anyone's experience, just can't wrap my head around it being a "must see".

Yeah, it’s not high art or anything, but a very fun movie and better than you’d expect.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I expect to see Samara Weaving in a movie in a theater when I'm old and senile and I'll be all like "Did you know Hugo Weaving was her uncle?? He was Agent Smith you know." like way too loud and my grandkids will be like "Yes, yes grandpa now please be quiet" just so unbelievably embarrassed.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Nah, they'll say "Who is Agent Smith? Is he from one of those old flat movies? We don't like non-VR movies grandpa. You can't even customize them to your narrative and political preferences!"

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
So far....watching 80's-90's-00's B-movies for the past week and a half or so....two have been legit.

Nemesis and Split Second. Recommend more.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
If you want some 80s/90s b-movies of debatable quality, ShoutFactoryTV has you covered. I can't recommend any one in particular because I watch them as background stuff and most blur together for me, but I've been pleasantly surprised by a good number of them. But maybe it's just that my standards have been as low as can be.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

feedmyleg posted:

If you want some 80s/90s b-movies of debatable quality, ShoutFactoryTV has you covered. I can't recommend any one in particular because I watch them as background stuff and most blur together for me, but I've been pleasantly surprised by a good number of them. But maybe it's just that my standards have been as low as can be.

That's what I've been bingeing the past few days. So far my biggest surprise was Black Christmas that I'd somehow never seen after watching tons of horror movies over the years. Some of the Mad Max clones on there aren't bad either.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Just watched Ready or Not based on earlier posts in the thread and GAWDAMN.

Nice to see some Orphan Black folks in this. Plus one Letterkenny person.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

anatomi posted:

It's a sleeper pick type movie that I think went under a lot of people's radar, hence the "must see if you haven't seen it" since I feel it's worth at least a once over :)

[edit] Here was my short review of it from the horror movie thread:

teagone posted:

I watched Ready or Not last night, and I'm not sure what I was expecting to be honest, but I really liked it. I remember seeing the trailer a while back, and thought the movie was gonna play up the dark comedy bits way more, and while they were there at times, they kinda/sorta felt out of place as the general tone often came off as more serious; it never really felt like a natural mixup of the genres, like say, Shaun of the Dead. Still though, the ending was hilariously cathartic and overall I was super entertained. Though from the marketing I was expecting to see Samara Weaving use that nitro express elephant gun to blast some fools, and it turning out to be a display-only model bummed me out hard lol.

teagone fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 24, 2020

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Fartington Butts posted:

Just watched Ready or Not based on earlier posts in the thread and GAWDAMN.

Nice to see some Orphan Black folks in this. Plus one Letterkenny person.

If you haven't watched Littlekenny yet, it's pretty good too. I think it's only on Hulu.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Can someone sell me on Letterkenny? I've seen about a billion ads for it but still have no idea what the show is even about.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

LifeLynx posted:

Patton Oswalt's new special wasn't as good as his old ones. Not sure how other goons feel about him and/or his standup. The only bit that stuck out at me was the one about Jesus being an exaggerated amalgamation of a bunch of guys unexpectedly not being assholes throughout history.

I thought it was pretty in line with all of his stuff. Not great or terrible.

Also, I don't even know where it was from, but I had already heard about half of the jokes already. I don't know if they were on an album previously, or if he did them on a talk show or what. I don't remember checking any of his stuff out for the last few years but I already knew quite a few of the bits, which was weird.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 24, 2020

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

Class Warcraft posted:

Can someone sell me on Letterkenny? I've seen about a billion ads for it but still have no idea what the show is even about.

Canadian rednecks in the most positive sense of the word:

https://youtu.be/bjVNOGEWzv4

https://youtu.be/Q47Uq96lILA

iv46vi fucked around with this message at 23:16 on May 24, 2020

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Does Letterkenny get better? I’ve watched the first 4 episodes and it hasn’t grabbed me at all. It has funny bits, but the main focus of each episode has worn thin well before the episode ends.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Class Warcraft posted:

Small town in Canada, farm boy punch strong hero. Uh, kind of exactly the opposite of Trailer Park Boys. Like to see a crossover there actually.

Clever dialogue, not too regressive. If you ever wished you were the smart talking strong punching square jaw ruler of a hick town in Canada defending your sister from the wrong tag team of guys loving her this show is for you.

And then it's actually kind of sweet.

Maybe like if South Park grew up and weren't such constant dicks and full of M&T's political garbage opinions but just folksy wisdom and fart jokes?

Lots of nerd jokes, hockey jokes, acknowledgement of political correctness (but there's a gay character who is a constant sad joke) native characters who aren't played for a laugh. Mixed bag, eh?

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Lots of wordplay type jokes in the early seasons. They chill out after a while though

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Watched Class of Nuke'em High and it was the most fun I've had in awhile watching a movie. It barely stops to take a breath. My wife was in the other room and got irritated by the almost constant screaming. The power plant workers inexplicably standing around the parking lot in full hazmat then rushing into the building when the klaxon sounds sent me into a fit of laughter.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

feedmyleg posted:

I've got the app downloaded on my phone. Streaming through my chromecast has NOT been smooth. Doesn't seem to let me pause or FF or control anything without disrupting the entire stream unfortunately.

But yeah....I've been mostly putting this kind of stuff on as background. Shout in particular has LOTS of Mystery Science Theater 3000....so I'm hoping that the app was just acting up this week. Tubi and Vudu are a couple of free streaming apps with free movies as well. Lots of B-movies.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

RestingB1tchFace posted:

So far....watching 80's-90's-00's B-movies for the past week and a half or so....two have been legit.

Nemesis and Split Second. Recommend more.

Q The Winged Serpent -- One of Larry Cohen's best.

Battle Beyond the Stars -- Roger Corman's Star Wars ripoff which is actually pretty awesome.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
John Henry kinda fuckin sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Ok also watched the 2011 Conan now, it's a solid fantasy flick for 2/3 of the movie but the ending is just dreadfully boring. Rose McGowan as Freddy Krueger is a sight to behold though, and stealing the show from Stephen Lang is quite a feat. Definitely the highlight of the movie.