Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

bloops posted:

Yea that’s a rope to hang out the side to escape from. Ours was kept in a little compartment above the eyebrow window. We were told to kick off the pitot tubes on the way down :black101:

Pro move. You can always claim the pitot failed in the post accident investigation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
e: nm

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The B-1 at takeoff is basically four F-16s in full afterburner right

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

I don't think the engines are supposed to look like that.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Phanatic posted:

Is that the accident aircraft?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Supposedly.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I for one am shocked that a foreign carrier would have both subpar maintenance and pilots.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Quick googling, seem like gear failure of some sort resulted in the aircraft scraping both engines on the runway. Aborted and tried to go around, but both engines failed sometime later, presumably from the damage sustained.

This is of course all speculation.

Xakura fucked around with this message at 19:29 on May 22, 2020

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

e.pilot posted:

I for one am shocked that a foreign carrier would have both subpar maintenance and pilots.

dont be a dick

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Phanatic posted:

Didn’t realize you could get a lowrider Airbus.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

Phanatic posted:

Is that a deployed RAT I’m seeing, near the A in Pakistan on the underside?

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I think so, since that's where the RAT is on diagrams and photo's I've seen.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Fornax Disaster posted:

Sure looks like it?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Fornax Disaster posted:

Lol that sure is

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Is it standard procedure to attempt a go-around in a situation like that? Seems like once you're banging up your engines while already physically in contact with the runway you don't have that much to gain from going around and a lot to lose.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
I recognized it because I have watched the Gimli Glider episode of Mayday like ten times.

There also seems to be light white smoke coming off both engines.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Fornax Disaster posted:

I recognized it because I have watched the Gimli Glider episode of Mayday like ten times.

That's the magic smoke that makes turbofans work. Once it escapes the engines, they stop working. :v:

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

aphid_licker posted:

Is it standard procedure to attempt a go-around in a situation like that? Seems like once you're banging up your engines while already physically in contact with the runway you don't have that much to gain from going around and a lot to lose.

"If in doubt, go around" is emphasized pretty hard in pilot training, and it's not like the pilots can see exactly what's going on underneath the plane. I can absolutely imagine a situation where they start to touch down, get some kind of indication that something is hosed, and make that split second decision to go around.

If you know you have a gear malfunction ahead of time, the procedure may even involve intentionally touching down to try and knock a stuck gear loose, then going around to see if you can get it down and locked.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Wait the gear collapsed on the takeoff roll (or after touchdown, same incredulity) and they got it off the ground?

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
I am going to hell for this (okay, amongst other things) but my mind immediately went to the engine scraping takeoff from the end of Airplane! and now I just wanna watch that again.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

e.pilot posted:

That’s not how Jerrys operate.

Reported for racism against Germans.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Platystemon posted:

Reported for racism against Germans.

:dadjoke:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

jammyozzy posted:

I am going to hell for this (okay, amongst other things) but my mind immediately went to the engine scraping takeoff from the end of Airplane! and now I just wanna watch that again.

Every plane needs Otto Pilot.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-r6IAZdE_3Y

Is that a really nose up attitude? Were they yanking the stick back in panic? Yikes. It's a mile from the airport in a residential neighborhood 😭

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Compared with some recent crashes, I think this one is really going to hinge on a full and detailed investigation being completed. There are so many factors at play, rumours, etc. that speculating right now based on a video or two and some photos is even more premature than usual.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Charles posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-r6IAZdE_3Y

Is that a really nose up attitude? Were they yanking the stick back in panic? Yikes. It's a mile from the airport in a residential neighborhood 😭

Ugh that’s hard to watch

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Timmy Age 6 posted:

I was intrigued to notice there doesn't appear to be a passenger entry door on it. None of the volunteers who were there had noticed that or could explain it. I guess they just used the big cargo hatch thing on the main deck as an entrance for the crew too?

Yup.

Some of my personal picks for overlooked favorites from Udvar-Hazy:

Waterman Aero-Mobile

Oblique Wing RPV

Westland Lysander

the weirder shaped the wing is, the better the airplane. its science

That said, Bob Hoover's Shrike Commander is the coolest airplane in that gallery bar none (Flak Bait is cooler but it's in the restoration center not the gallery :hmmyes:)

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I'm a fan of the ramjet-powered helicopter for weird Udvar-Hazy stuff.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Pfft, no one posted R2D2 so you are all wrong.

I spent way more time then I would like to admit trying to find all the Easter eggs on the Close Encounters model.

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme

bull3964 posted:

I spent way more time then I would like to admit trying to find all the Easter eggs on the Close Encounters model.

I legit thought about posting the photos from my way too much time staring at the model!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

e.pilot posted:

Can we please not do this again.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Fornax Disaster posted:

It's funny that you should mention this. The first description I heard sounded like a fuel starvation issue.

bull3964 posted:

My favorite after R2D2 is either the cemetery, or this one:

(sorry for the lines, I scanned this years ago, from a 35mm neg.)

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 00:39 on May 23, 2020

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Elviscat posted:

I'm a fan of the ramjet-powered helicopter for weird Udvar-Hazy stuff.

It's a good enough design for Tom Swift Jr, and that means it's good enough for me.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

PainterofCrap posted:

It's funny that you should mention this. The first description I heard sounded like a fuel starvation issue.

Any time you hear of double engine failure in a twin, your first thought should be fuel system issues of some kind, so that's very reasonable.

However, a botched landing which damaged both engines in the process, as we've heard rumours of, could also explain it, as could flying through a flock of geese which manage to gently caress up both engines at the same time, just sayin'.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

1944 strafing gun camera footage. Check out CPT Clayton's pullout game there at 3:01

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsqtItEnGUs&t=181s

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

aphid_licker posted:

1944 strafing gun camera footage. Check out CPT Clayton's pullout game there at 3:01

target fixation

:stonk:

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Can only imagine that they had some words about that one at the debriefing and / or officers' mess. It looks like he bottoms out below treetop level. He probably put some holes in that truck tho!

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Overflying the target you just obliterated, part of which has been converted into a giant debris cloud, is also not great form.

In fairness, the US was pooping out new pilots at breakneck speed during WW2, and (in a tradition that continues today) aircraft accident losses dwarfed actual combat losses: 22,948 in combat, 42,171 in accidents.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I'm looking for that footage of a Jug that flies through the explosion it triggered. Can't recall if there was ever a follow-up story to that footage.

Found this footage, which has some hot hot arborist action starting at 2:15

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CP-oDzhBUq8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

aphid_licker posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsqtItEnGUs&t=181s

Take a look at 9:00 :stonk:

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 18:22 on May 23, 2020