Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Tenzarin posted:

Seems kinda strange that they do that long rear end maintenance and they only run the event for 5 days.

They have 2 event scheduled and a dev said update 20 is soon than people thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

They have 2 event scheduled and a dev said update 20 is soon than people thing.

Yeah, they're running this for the next 5 days then it goes into fasnacht, right?

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl
So far the best places I’ve found for the treasure hunters is Mount Blair Trainyard and Welch. For other places I checked that have moleminers I didn’t really have any luck with getting them to spawn. Didn’t have the Lode Baring and Breach and Clear events pop up while I was on, but those should probably be good for getting the pails.

Looks like the loot tables for the pails include metal scrap, booze, mounted animal plans, and weapon and PA plans. Granted I only had like 2 ornate pails, 3-4 regular, and about 6 dusty so not a huge sample size.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Oppression posted:

Got a lovely 2 star shotgun as my ultimate reward for the treasure quest at lvl 77. It is still the latest legendary I've seen in a long time, and is barely better than the non legendary I had on hand. Maybe it's just luck but I haven't had anything decent drop ever. Still rocking the blade of bastet.

I got an amazing armor-piercing hunting rifle at level 10 from that quest, and I'm still using it at level 42 because regular level 40 rifles do less damage.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

List of potential mole miner spawns: https://www.reddit.com/r/fo76/comments/go3pwv/current_list_of_known_treasure_hunter_mole_miner/

The 4 new craft plans are fun. A circus cage, 2 outfits, and a good looking backpack.

Edit: it looks like the miners do not respawn and you have to server hop and find one with alive miners.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 03:47 on May 22, 2020

Orv
May 4, 2011
I seem to have lost the taste for theory crafting I used to have, does anyone have a melee/heavy gunner switch between build I could just steal?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
With the twisted muscles and talons mutations, unyielding armor and a blooded unarmed weapon I hardly ever use melee damage perks. Then the rest use heavy weapon perks.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

https://twitter.com/Fallout/status/1263905196800905218?s=19

Maybe I will get a pristine pail drop by then.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
so apparently installing some creation club content on the ps4 version of fo4 corrupts the game in a way that you can't start a new playthrough. you have to reinstall, and only apply the cc stuff after making a new game

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Lol they are extending it because like no one is interested in farming mole men hahahaha. I heard the xmax event was alot better because you could farm scorched all over the map and not just lvl 15-20 molemen in the ash heap.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I have put at least 6-10 hours into moleman hunting. My scraggly level 32 rear end has gotten like 4 pristine pails and some really cool mounted animals and the plans for a broadsider. I am also killing molemen to get their scraps to get black titanium so I can build my first set of power armor (excavator armor). As a huge Fallout fan I'd almost venture to say this is probably my favorite Fallout yet. I guess it was not great before Wastelanders but now it's a full-fledged Fallout game I can co-op with my friend.

Also I hate Beckett. He lives in my loving house, sleeps in my loving bed, plays my fuckin banjo; but charges me for booze? Can't wait to finish his quests so I can get a new ally.

Edit: dang. I read upthread and y'all really don't like FO76. It's a Fallout game. I'm fine with it. I enjoyed the responders stuff. I love reading the notes and enjoying the lore. I like using a heated powerfist to uppercut robots. Theres so much to do! I never saw the game pre-wastelanders but I guess it was bad enough to kill any goodwill that the devs are trying to currently build up. It must've been trash. I really, really enjoy it. Can't wait to finish up my work week and go back to hunting cryptids or investigating mysterious happenings. Co-op helps a ton. The goon I play with is constantly doing ridiculous poo poo which makes it more fun.

Untrustable fucked around with this message at 11:46 on May 23, 2020

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

I stuck with the nameless woman ally in the end. I would be fine with the astronaut but she repeats that long "voiceover narration at the end of a romcom" speech way way too much. Plus I had to stick her console outside because her pathing in the house was all goofy. The old guy is annoying. I got tired of Beckett and his "well stocked and YEAACCH ready for business!" line. Didn't even bother with the raider guy.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Both allies suck. Not that Beckett was better, but at least with him you don't have to hear about headaches or floating in space. Just, why?

I like the mole miner hunt thing as well, but I've never gotten a pristine pail yet. I'm also not going to pay $7,000 caps to fill my own. Sadly also my level 30-something melee build is having a hell of a time surviving in the ash heap. My 120 can run all over and clear the area in about an hour and a half.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

The goon I play with said there is a cryptid hunter ally and I very much want that one.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

That's the "Raider Punk", and he's a random encounter. You need to also pass a SPECIAL skill check to convince him to stay at your camp.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Well nothing else is out that's interesting me so I'll grind until I randomly find him. I hope the SPECIAL check isn't on luck, because in 32 levels I've only put 1 point into it.

ComradeBigT
Sep 9, 2014
The raider punk ally isn’t a random encounter as far as I’m aware. You can find him just hanging around in the crater base thing.

To actually recruit him, the speech checks are perception 5+, luck 8+, or cooperative rep with the raider faction.

The settler equivalent is the same deal I think (just somewhere in the settler hub and different skill checks I think) but he’s way less entertaining as an ally.

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl
I think I’ve found the raider at like 2-3 locations outside of crater, but I haven’t seen the settler anywhere but foundation around the HQ instance.

Also totally <3 Sofia! Even if she likes to repeat the whole story-resolution-monologue thing. I get such a kick out of so many of the other lines. But I am just a bit jealous that the nuka girl suit looks better on her :)

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I haven't had a pristine pail drop yet and farmed a ton of thebminers. It does not help that they do not respawn.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The Treasure Hunter was so weird. I'm out of all my rifle ammo and my tactical shotgun is broken so I was just pumping my double barrel into him repeatedly until he died. I had no idea he wasn't dangerous. I kept expecting him to turn around and murder me. I got an Assassin 50 cal machine gun that I can't use.

Back to my broken guns, is anyone else experiencing an aluminum and lead shortage? I went from having no problems with upkeep to having barely functional weapons and I can find no .308 ammo. It occurred to me that Bethesda can force people into certain weapons by modifying how much of a particular scrap is available. Pretty soon I'm going to be using melee weapons like I'm some kind of poor super-mutant.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Krispy Wafer posted:

The Treasure Hunter was so weird. I'm out of all my rifle ammo and my tactical shotgun is broken so I was just pumping my double barrel into him repeatedly until he died. I had no idea he wasn't dangerous. I kept expecting him to turn around and murder me. I got an Assassin 50 cal machine gun that I can't use.

Back to my broken guns, is anyone else experiencing an aluminum and lead shortage? I went from having no problems with upkeep to having barely functional weapons and I can find no .308 ammo. It occurred to me that Bethesda can force people into certain weapons by modifying how much of a particular scrap is available. Pretty soon I'm going to be using melee weapons like I'm some kind of poor super-mutant.

What platform are you on?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Mr Hootington posted:

What platform are you on?

PC, connecting via the Bethesda app instead of Steam.

I thought maybe there was a shortage because I can't find .308 at any of the railway vendors either. I figured others could be having the same issue so we're all competing for the same spawning ammo. The lack of player vendors is probably messing with supply as well. I need to go hunt some super-mutants for .308, but for that I need to find a rifle that shoots something other than .308.

Picked the wrong time to scrap that homemade.

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl

Krispy Wafer posted:

Aluminum and lead are definitely ones that you want to have tagged in the junk component view. Cause yeah those are pretty quick to burn through as you’re working through the levels. Couple good spots to hit up for lead are the penitentiary (weights scattered around benches in the prison yard), the fire department weight room (if you come in from the front desk, head back to the computer exam room and the weight room is off to the side), green county lodge (weight room beside the pool), and camden park ( all the can chimes at the pathways under the big rollercoaster).

I don’t have as many good aluminum farms, though around the pleasant valley lodge/top of the world there are a bunch of ski poles out on racks and some cans scattered about.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The only thing I've noticed I'm missing is Nuka Cola Quantum. I used to grab several a day so I could make Vintage NukaShine and put it in a punch bowl. :twisted:

.308 ammo I see around. I mostly sell the stuff as I don't use that ammo. So maybe you're not able to buy it when you're short like you used to?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Krispy Wafer posted:

PC, connecting via the Bethesda app instead of Steam.

I thought maybe there was a shortage because I can't find .308 at any of the railway vendors either. I figured others could be having the same issue so we're all competing for the same spawning ammo. The lack of player vendors is probably messing with supply as well. I need to go hunt some super-mutants for .308, but for that I need to find a rifle that shoots something other than .308.

Picked the wrong time to scrap that homemade.

I can't help you, but .308 should be plentiful on mobs in the starting area and toxic Valley. Scorched, raiders and super mutants usually have .38, .308, and shells in those areas.

Pick up aluminum canisters and any empty cans. Empty cans either have steel or aluminum but always have lead. Surgical trays, alarm clocks, and tv dinner trays give a bunch too.

Eastern Regional Penitentiary may be the farm spot you should hit. Lots of enemies, but a ton of lead, aluminum, and ammo boxes.

Edit: do not buy ammo from vendors. It is too expensive.

What level are you? Try and figure out what combat you enjoy and make a transition to those guns. I use heavy guns so .308, .50, and .5mm are my standard. I have a really good shotgun that I use on tiny mobs to one hit.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 23, 2020

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I've been through the Penitentiary, but that was before I knew to scrap the weights. I'll have to check it out again.

And I scrap everything metal. I'm just not finding much aluminum. I've been spending a lot of time in the Southwestern part of the map this last week so maybe it's just unusually sparse there. There needs to be an aluminum pile like the plastic pile in the high school.

A trick I've noticed is to build C.A.M.P. right near an Whitesprings resort entrance. Every time I fast travel back the robots are fighting some really strong enemy and if I get a couple of shots off that's gravy XP with little risk. Unless they kill the robots and then I've got 3 glowing Yao guai inside my C.A.M.P. destroying all my walls.

Mr Hootington posted:

What level are you? Try and figure out what combat you enjoy and make a transition to those guns. I use heavy guns so .308, .50, and .5mm are my standard. I have a really good shotgun that I use on tiny mobs to one hit.

I'm LVL 30. I do sniper attacks mostly because I'm a scared little man. Getting close enough to use the shotgun is not my preferred method of murder.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Krispy Wafer posted:

I've been through the Penitentiary, but that was before I knew to scrap the weights. I'll have to check it out again.

And I scrap everything metal. I'm just not finding much aluminum. I've been spending a lot of time in the Southwestern part of the map this last week so maybe it's just unusually sparse there. There needs to be an aluminum pile like the plastic pile in the high school.

A trick I've noticed is to build C.A.M.P. right near an Whitesprings resort entrance. Every time I fast travel back the robots are fighting some really strong enemy and if I get a couple of shots7 off that's gravy XP with little risk. Unless they kill the robots and then I've got 3 6th glowing Yao guai inside my C.A.M.P. destroying all my walls.

I'm LVL 30. I do sniper attacks mostly because I'm a scared little man. Getting close enough to use the shotgun is not my preferred method of murder.

The Penitentiary should have a trays all over in the cells and dining area. Morgantown high school should have a few trays to go with the cafeteria trays. The junk yard near Charleston has a junk vein and aluminum vein if you plan on playing for awhile. The dirt track has an aluminum vein. Those should net you 30 scrap and hour if nobody fucks with it.

Edit: https://www.falloutbuilds.com/t/fallout-76-map-of-resource-deposits/
That map has every location for resource spots. Find an aluminum or lead spot and set up camp. You can build an extractor on top of them and just harvest. Most of these are hot spots for other people's camps though.

VVVVV
all children's toys and paints have lots of lead too

Edit: poseidon energy is very good for fusion cores and lead and the golf course workshops gives lots of acid.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 18:35 on May 23, 2020

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Wooden Blocks also contain lead. So do Pencils.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I am officially post-scarcity (except for ballistic fiber and black titanium, I can always use more of those)

Stash is chock full of junk, I have 1500 ammo for each of my 3 main rifles, and I can basically mod and repair anything without even thinking, except my Chinese stealth suit because 18 ballistic fiber is not insignificant :eyepop: and of course anything requiring black titanium

Switching over to commando rifles when I do expect a real battle now but the lvl20 instigating .50 hunting rifle is still my go-to rifle for mobs, 500 damage for the first sneak hit is pretty awesome.

Thinking of making a new character for melee/heavy guns because stealthing around is safe but can be a bit boring

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

IUG posted:

The only thing I've noticed I'm missing is Nuka Cola Quantum. I used to grab several a day so I could make Vintage NukaShine and put it in a punch bowl. :twisted:

.308 ammo I see around. I mostly sell the stuff as I don't use that ammo. So maybe you're not able to buy it when you're short like you used to?

You can't put it in a punch bowl. Atleast when I tried I couldn't.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I throw away black titanium like mad because you get so much from mole miner parts which also give good steel and lead.

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl

Mr Hootington posted:

Edit: https://www.falloutbuilds.com/t/fallout-76-map-of-resource-deposits/
That map has every location for resource spots. Find an aluminum or lead spot and set up camp. You can build an extractor on top of them and just harvest. Most of these are hot spots for other people's camps though.

So that spot just east of Black Bear Lodge has the lead and junk close enough to get both in a single CAMP. Probably my favorite location, even more so than the junk+water ones.

Also really convenient for doing Wastelanders dailies, both the raider ones and photo opp.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

You can't put it in a punch bowl. Atleast when I tried I couldn't.

I've been doing it since before the punchbowl became an exploit that could steal stuff from your stash or vending machines. Xbox version at least. No idea if it actually gives people the blackouts, but I like to think it does.

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl
https://www.reddit.com/r/fo76/comments/gnfup7/treasure_hunt_event_complete_drop_list_datamined/

Some folks datamined all the treasure hunter drops. I guess I should feel good about getting a marine helmet plan and snallygaster plans (though with the holiday gift duping I guess the snallygaster is common through player vendors).

VRViperII
Mar 17, 2009

TorakFade posted:

I am officially post-scarcity (except for ballistic fiber and black titanium, I can always use more of those)

Stash is chock full of junk, I have 1500 ammo for each of my 3 main rifles, and I can basically mod and repair anything without even thinking, except my Chinese stealth suit because 18 ballistic fiber is not insignificant :eyepop: and of course anything requiring black titanium

Switching over to commando rifles when I do expect a real battle now but the lvl20 instigating .50 hunting rifle is still my go-to rifle for mobs, 500 damage for the first sneak hit is pretty awesome.

Thinking of making a new character for melee/heavy guns because stealthing around is safe but can be a bit boring

Just start to bend your guy in that direction. Don’t make a new one. Heavy weapons are a high level thing. So start some 2 handed melee, pump up your STR and by the tome you find some good big guns, you will have the resources to feed them.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Kalessin ofSelidor posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/fo76/comments/gnfup7/treasure_hunt_event_complete_drop_list_datamined/

Some folks datamined all the treasure hunter drops. I guess I should feel good about getting a marine helmet plan and snallygaster plans (though with the holiday gift duping I guess the snallygaster is common through player vendors).

This wouldn't be so bad if they respawned with normal mobs so you could do a rotation. Camden, Beckley, Nicholson end, Welch, train station, mount Blair is a good path.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So I just started this game today and I'll admit I am completely lost in terms of what I should be doing

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

drrockso20 posted:

So I just started this game today and I'll admit I am completely lost in terms of what I should be doing

Kill the zombies scorched and eat them with the Cannibal perk.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

drrockso20 posted:

Just work towards whatever quests you've got, particularly the main ones. If you run into mobs or areas that are just too tough for you, forget about that quest line for a while and come back to it later. Don't worry about dying, all you lose is whatever junk/scrap you've got on you.

One thing that I'd consider doing is deciding what playstyle you're likely to enjoy and find a good build for that just so you don't waste a lot of Perk card picks. I knew I was going to go towards melee but I wasted a bunch of perk cards my first 10 or 15 levels just kind of picking random poo poo that didn't end up being that useful. You can always change your mind later and switch focus but I feel like when I wasn't working towards a level 50 build I just kinda flailed around and it made the game needlessly more difficult.

Sell poo poo you don't need to the vendors at the nearest train stations. I was like level 13 before I even realized there were vendors, the only caps I had were ones I had found. You can't sell ammo to them but weapons and food/aid items you don't need are good to sell. You don't really need money that much early on, but it's nice to have enough that you can fast travel a lot without worrying about it depleting your funds. You can fast travel to Vault 76 for free so setting up your CAMP near the raiders or the foundation might be a good idea just so you can go to the other side of the map for free.

If you think you're going to want to stomp around in power armor (I thought it made the game easier which made it more fun for me) you can make runs past the Morgantown train yard and the place near Mama Dolce's, which both frequently have sets of power armor you can scavenge, and are both near Vault 76. By the time I was high enough level to wear them (level 25, 30, and 40 IIRC) I had full sets of T45, 51, and 60 and enough fusion cores that I didn't have to worry about it for a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

drrockso20 posted:

Thoroughly explore each area before moving on to the next one, and you should be comfortably leveled once the quests start pointing you to other areas of the map, and discovering locations makes it easier to travel around the map once the game starts sending you back and forth - the cap cost usually isn't an issue if you comb an area from top to bottom, along with finding plans, recipes, and other useful odds and ends

Set aside some time at the beginning of a play session to gather up resources - there's plenty of lists out there on the internet of places to find whatever materials you need, and you can place your CAMP accordingly (Although if it's a high-traffic area, it might take a little longer to find a world where the spot is unoccupied)

Set up a farm in your CAMP for food and water - soups are very effective at keeping both meters filled and rather easy to make