Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

Maneater is pretty fun, had one holy poo poo moment when I ran into an orca

e: you get a skill pretty early on that lets you survive on land way longer and you control like a bunrout car right after you crash, it rules

doctorthefonz fucked around with this message at 06:41 on May 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Det_no posted:

Try an USB extension cord and see if that helps. Let the adapter sit as far away from the case as you can.

This worked perfectly! Thanks for the tip. Ow I just need to figure out how to consistently get it to connect immediately when I turn the controller on. Anyway this is great, Feels great to go wireless.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Stan Taylor posted:

This worked perfectly! Thanks for the tip. Ow I just need to figure out how to consistently get it to connect immediately when I turn the controller on. Anyway this is great, Feels great to go wireless.

Hmm, I use an 8bitdo Pro and it connects fairly quickly to the last thing I paired it to, ie my PC's bluetooth. It's not RIGHT AS I turn it on but I imagine it should be the same for you.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
It's the end of an era and the beginning of a new one. Shellshock, a fantastic Scorched Earth clone, is now out of Early Access.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

END ME SCOOB posted:

I feel like this take is so galaxy-brain bad it can earn mockery here, too. They say Steam once.

https://twitter.com/miniondeathcult/status/1264021531929108481

Tiiim Sweeney
Mao in disguise

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

this whole time i thought unreal engine was free to download as a way to gain market share but it's really just about allowing workers to own the means of production.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Cardiovorax posted:

If you have ever played Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, it's basically exactly like that game. The biggest downside I've found so far is that the gameplay is incredibly slow, just like FFTA. As in, slow in terms of how quickly things happen. I've sat through more than a few fights where I just went "Christ, please let me be done with this already" because everything takes so long.

It does have a 200% speed option for both animations and walk speed. I used it for all the normal battles and then turned it down to 120% for boss battles and it wasn't too bad.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Det_no posted:

Try an USB extension cord and see if that helps. Let the adapter sit as far away from the case as you can.

This. Also use USB 2.0 ports for Bluetooth / 2.4GHz wireless gear. Turns out USB 3 interferes at those frequencies. Intel published a short paper on this: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/docs/io/universal-serial-bus/usb3-frequency-interference-paper.html

I bought a very cheap USB 2 hub with an extension cable built in to plug my BT adapter into and the controllers were much happier after that. The cable also let me place it where there was better line of sight from controller to the BT adapter.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Jamfrost posted:

^That's an old number now.

AHAHAHA, dang. You're my goal. I just need a higher credit limit.

I want to say Steam has near 50K games at this point. Maybe 45K. I don't know how to find out for sure.

As of this moment right now, there are 143,605 apps in Steam database.

An App is defined as:

quote:

An Application (or App) is the main representation of a product on Steam. An App generally has its own store page, it's own Community Hub, and is what appears in customers' libraries.

Each App is represented by a unique ID called an App ID. Generally a single product will not span multiple Applications.
So this also means bundles, games that are thrown off Steam, DLCs, server software etc.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I think my favorite thing about Autonauts so far is how stupid these robots are. They do exactly what you tell them to do and nothing more.

For example! One robot I set up to find robots in a specific area and recharge them. I figured it could handle three areas. NOT SO.

It would do one area, then move to the second, then to the third. The third only had one robot in it, so it would wait like the 5 minutes for them to wind down, recharge them, and then it would go back to the first two areas.... completely neglecting that there were like 10 robots waiting for recharges, because it was told to do the areas in sequence.

The game is like. "these are dumb robots. instead of giving them complex instructions, make more robots."

So now I have a robot who collects sticks into a bin, one who takes sticks to the axe-making bench, and one who gets rocks, and so on. Because I cannot trust these little idiots to do more than one or two tasks at a time without getting confused. (I love them dearly and am glad I have like 20 of them now.)

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

"The Pile" isn't an exclusive category, and neither is "anime bullshit" :v:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I think my favorite thing about Autonauts so far is how stupid these robots are. They do exactly what you tell them to do and nothing more.

For example! One robot I set up to find robots in a specific area and recharge them. I figured it could handle three areas. NOT SO.

It would do one area, then move to the second, then to the third. The third only had one robot in it, so it would wait like the 5 minutes for them to wind down, recharge them, and then it would go back to the first two areas.... completely neglecting that there were like 10 robots waiting for recharges, because it was told to do the areas in sequence.

The game is like. "these are dumb robots. instead of giving them complex instructions, make more robots."
:allears: Sounds like you're getting the full Programming 101 experience there.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

StrixNebulosa posted:

So now I have a robot who collects sticks into a bin, one who takes sticks to the axe-making bench, and one who gets rocks, and so on. Because I cannot trust these little idiots to do more than one or two tasks at a time without getting confused. (I love them dearly and am glad I have like 20 of them now.)

This sounds like exactly my jam. Picked it up for :tenbux:. I'm about done with Oxygen Not Included and I've been looking for something to scratch that itch. Hydroneer was interesting, but only for a few hours. It's very much a "my first game" game. :(

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
How is the multiplayer in The Forest? A friend and I are interested in playing it together but we’ve been blindsided by multiplayer games that are too restrictive of when you can play together.

An example was monster hunter world. We didn’t like how you had to do single player bits in between getting to fight the monsters. Took us out of it every time.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The Forest can be played 100% multi, like most survival games. It's quite good if survival games are you jam.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Rolo posted:

How is the multiplayer in The Forest? A friend and I are interested in playing it together but we’ve been blindsided by multiplayer games that are too restrictive of when you can play together.

An example was monster hunter world. We didn’t like how you had to do single player bits in between getting to fight the monsters. Took us out of it every time.
It's full host/client multiplayer, no restrictions. You can even set up a dedicated server.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
That’s awesome because I like survival horror and my friend is in love with it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Han Nehi posted:

This sounds like exactly my jam. Picked it up for :tenbux:. I'm about done with Oxygen Not Included and I've been looking for something to scratch that itch. Hydroneer was interesting, but only for a few hours. It's very much a "my first game" game. :(

The Management Game Thread is the place to go if you want to find more ONI-likes. I mean there's nothing directly like it, but these are the people to ask.

I'm too dumb for ONI but like poking at it, and so far Autonauts is hitting that early Factorio bit where I focus on small tasks and get things automated and slowly tech up. It's good!

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

StrixNebulosa posted:

The Management Game Thread is the place to go if you want to find more ONI-likes. I mean there's nothing directly like it, but these are the people to ask.

I'm too dumb for ONI but like poking at it, and so far Autonauts is hitting that early Factorio bit where I focus on small tasks and get things automated and slowly tech up. It's good!

Mindustry scratches that itch, but I stopped playing it when I read the trello roadmap for the game. I imagined a version of Mindustry that would be Total Annihilation-lite with a focus more on establishing giant production chains across a planet, divided into multiple sectors (maps), and you'd setup those chains to mass-produce drones and warmachines to be sent towards the current staging ground where they will be used to flood whatever remains of the enemy.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I just grabbed Supreme Commander: Forged Alliances, on sale for 4 bucks. Why not?

Turns out it's great. I know it's ancient, but the graphics hold up. In many ways its the massive battles RTS I always wished Starcraft 2 could be. Dunno how this game passed me by all these years, I guess reviews were kind of lackluster.

I'd recommend it if you want to get back into an RTS but are tired of Blizzard's games.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I just grabbed Supreme Commander: Forged Alliances, on sale for 4 bucks. Why not?

Turns out it's great. I know it's ancient, but the graphics hold up. In many ways its the massive battles RTS I always wished Starcraft 2 could be. Dunno how this game passed me by all these years, I guess reviews were kind of lackluster.

I'd recommend it if you want to get back into an RTS but are tired of Blizzard's games.

SupCom rules, I like doing skirmish maps against easy AI so I have plenty of time to dick around with the super units.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

SupCom 1 is great, and I wish more games copied it's resource management system (Hint: If you're running a surplus, you're not building enough poo poo)

Though sadly, my experience is that the AI in forged alliance is broken, it allegedly replicates itself for every "outpost" it creates, and never deletes those copies, so after a while everything slows down.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The recent ask about Shadow Warrior 2013 got me to reinstall it and yeah this game still loving rules.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Xakura posted:

SupCom 1 is great, and I wish more games copied it's resource management system (Hint: If you're running a surplus, you're not building enough poo poo)

Though sadly, my experience is that the AI in forged alliance is broken, it allegedly replicates itself for every "outpost" it creates, and never deletes those copies, so after a while everything slows down.

Play Forged Alliance Forever.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Kibayasu posted:

The recent ask about Shadow Warrior 2013 got me to reinstall it and yeah this game still loving rules.

It's great on many levels, Hoji rules.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

shadow warrior 2013 ruled in a pre-doom 2016 world, now it merely is very good

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'm that guy who thought Shadow Warrior 2 had better combat and movement than Doom 2016 and loved its double digit guns but thought the gem stuff was too fiddly and annoying and the semi-procgen levels were bad and repetitive. Of course then Doom Eternal came out and pretty much duplicated SW2's mechanics with proper hand-crafted levels and a big budget so hail to the king.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

shadow warrior 2 was a hot stinky turd that came out of a butt

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
Shadow Warrior 2 felt like the devs ignored everything people liked about the first one and chased the Borderlands crowd. Procedurally generated levels don't work when you procedurally generate your levels from 5 blocks out of 10.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

StrixNebulosa posted:

There's a break loop if fail setting which lets your bot do what you wanted. When you have 100+ bots multi-area charging bots are a necessity.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Cowcaster posted:

shadow warrior 2 was a hot stinky turd that came out of a butt

Yeah well that’s a turd I’ll dig out of your butt with my katana, friendo.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah well that’s a turd I’ll dig out of your butt with my katana, friendo.

uh it's bad form to post your private dm's

Orv
May 4, 2011
"Slide your katana into my dms" is an entirely different thing.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

slide your katana into my bms was right there

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Cowcaster posted:

slide your katana into my bms was right there

Orv
May 4, 2011
Except that is the right thing, christ you amateurs.

Huskalator
Mar 17, 2009

Proud fascist
anti-anti-fascist
So I downloaded the DayZ game for the free weekend and it's a real garbage heap of a bad game but the premise is great and I'd definitely be down for something similar.

What are some worthwhile games of this style? I don't necessarily need zombies.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Huskalator posted:

So I downloaded the DayZ game for the free weekend and it's a real garbage heap of a bad game but the premise is great and I'd definitely be down for something similar.

What are some worthwhile games of this style? I don't necessarily need zombies.

They're all dead, Jim.

More seriously, but with the same answer, the DayZ sub-genre has cratered pretty hard. You have DayZ, which as you've seen is an irredeemable pile. SCUM, which has a fairly sizable playerbase for a DayZ clone and the devs have done a very admirable job of making that game very good but the community that has remained in it blows chunks on fire. Tarkov has the same sort of go get loot, shoot people for their loot loop but it is a whole other bag of worms and I cannot genuinely recommend anyone play Tarkov at current (or with the Tarkov goons who've all lost their minds.)

Deadside is the most recent entry in the whole shebang and I have heard good things, it's only $20 but I have not played it myself because I've finally stopped chasing that particular dragon. Just be aware that if it's not DayZ or a very lucky competitor like SCUM it's gonna be dead a couple months after launch so get it while the getting is good.

admataY
Oct 16, 2008
I have seen the face of hell, and that face is GTA V flight control scheme . Untill now i never knew what true pain is .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

admataY posted:

I have seen the face of hell, and that face is GTA V flight control scheme . Untill now i never knew what true pain is .

It's been seven years (technically less for PC but whatever) and I still cannot control a helicopter in that game with any sort of finesse beyond mostly not breaking it on landings.