Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

poverty goat posted:

Stellaris is the current best civ game

Did they ever fix the mid game being a slog? I really liked a lot of it but it hit a point where there wasn’t too much going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

While I know Civ6 isn’t a great game, it’s free on Epic Games. Not free to play, free forever. Looks like they previously offered GTA5 for free.

My unpopular opinion: Epic Games good??

did you know the game has a bug that spawns you next to a rival, in the tundra/snow, because it's unable to effectively assess a starting position's value (or artificially populate it with resources to offset a deficit once the map has been generated)? this has been in the game since a "bugfix patch" they released in 2017

did you know the game has a math weighting error for calculating miltary aggressiveness that makes the AI incapable of capturing cities that have built Walls? a goon in the civ thread actually identified the source of this bug: it's a spelling error, and the AI can't attack these cities because it's trying to compare its should-i-attack-this-target score to a value that doesn't exist. he fixed it with a simple mod that corrects the spelling. this has been in the game since launch

tldr civ 6 is a multi-million-dollar AAA title and the devs can't even be bothered to get off their asses to fix two god drat things that take all of a minute to set right

also the AI has this weird rule where it MUST move every unit every turn. this leads to problems like the game starting to take two minutes to process turns. this isn't because the AI is building huge armies; it's because the neutral city state civs are compelled to expend all the move points on every last one of their dozen units, and it often has a hard time figuring out which tile to meaninglessly waste its mp on

super late e: that said

food court bailiff posted:

he’s right though, it’s pretty hard to just “be better” for a storefront app (and yet somehow both the epic games launcher and GOG galaxy are far better than steam anyway)

epic pays developers more so idk where all this handwringing about not being “healthy” comes from either. boo hoo you need to click a different storefront for some games if you want them the second they come out, lmao that you wrote all those words about it like a console warrior on the playground though

please bear in mind that tencent owns, what, a 40% stake in epic games? if you're all right with uncle xi rootkitting your computer then by all means epic games EPIC GAMES EPIC GAMES!!!!!

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 19:21 on May 23, 2020

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

The White Dragon posted:

did you know the game has a math weighting error for calculating miltary aggressiveness that makes the AI incapable of capturing cities that have built Walls? a goon in the civ thread actually identified the source of this bug: it's a spelling error, and the AI can't attack these cities because it's trying to compare its should-i-attack-this-target score to a value that doesn't exist.

So what I'm hearing here is: build walls?

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The White Dragon posted:

did you know the game has a bug that spawns you next to a rival, in the tundra/snow, because it's unable to effectively assess a starting position's value (or artificially populate it with resources to offset a deficit once the map has been generated)? this has been in the game since a "bugfix patch" they released in 2017

did you know the game has a math weighting error for calculating miltary aggressiveness that makes the AI incapable of capturing cities that have built Walls? a goon in the civ thread actually identified the source of this bug: it's a spelling error, and the AI can't attack these cities because it's trying to compare its should-i-attack-this-target score to a value that doesn't exist. he fixed it with a simple mod that corrects the spelling. this has been in the game since launch

tldr civ 6 is a multi-million-dollar AAA title and the devs can't even be bothered to get off their asses to fix two god drat things that take all of a minute to set right

also the AI has this weird rule where it MUST move every unit every turn. this leads to problems like the game starting to take two minutes to process turns. this isn't because the AI is building huge armies; it's because the neutral city state civs are compelled to expend all the move points on every last one of their dozen units, and it often has a hard time figuring out which tile to meaninglessly waste its mp on
doesn't the launcher straight up mine all your personal data and the files on your computer and poo poo too

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Did they ever fix the mid game being a slog? I really liked a lot of it but it hit a point where there wasn’t too much going on.

It's still pretty much the same. I uninstalled it recently for the first time since release and probably won't go back to it. I realized that I spent the majority of my time in Stellaris waiting for patches and expansions to make Stellaris to get better, and it never really does.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Dewgy posted:

If the Rare collection port is based off the XBLA version it’s pretty much the best official way to play the game. Enjoy! It’s a great game.

I might be overselling it a bit but there’s a lot of narrative depth and polish in PD and other games of the generation that get way over-attributed to HL2 when Valve were very much following in the footsteps of those that came before them.

I installed Perfect Dark and it is indeed the XBLA version running in 360 mode. I was looking forward to completing the game based on your recommendation.

I played until the Carrington Villa level and then something very strange happened. I had to stop playing and lie down because I felt like I was going to throw up.

Now, I've played first person shooters for over twenty years; good ones, bad ones, mediocre ones. But Perfect Dark was a unique experience for me and one I won't be revisiting.

tldr: Perfect Dark is an excellent nausea stimulator.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 23, 2020

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

It's still pretty much the same. I uninstalled it recently for the first time since release and probably won't go back to it. I realized that I spent the majority of my time in Stellaris waiting for patches and expansions to make Stellaris to get better, and it never really does.

I'm not trying to wrongfun you here but there are a couple of mods which add a lot of content, including a fair amount of mid-game stuff (Dynamic Political Events and Potent Rebellions in particular but also More Events and Expanded Events). The first two additionally make the internal politics feel a little better IMO? The 2.7.2 beta patch also seems to be improving performance as well.

E: Whoops, thought this was the Stellaris thread.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
With Beyond Earth and Civ6 I get the feeling they're building the games more around steamrolling the AI while having quests and fluff to string you along rather than making sure the gameplay's solid.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
One of my greatest game regrets is Civilization: Beyond Earth. It should have been so loving good, and I think the fluff legit shows a lot of cool poo poo. But goddamn was the actual game a loving letdown.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

If you're bored in the mid game it's because you aren't expanding aggressively enough

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Ghost Leviathan posted:

With Beyond Earth and Civ6 I get the feeling they're building the games more around steamrolling the AI while having quests and fluff to string you along rather than making sure the gameplay's solid.

Absolutely. I pirated civ 6 recently (after pirating it at launch to test it out) to see if it became fun with all the dlc, and no. They just clutter the game up with so much poo poo going on that you're so occupied with busy work that you don't notice that the game is actually a hollow shell.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

tango alpha delta posted:

I installed Perfect Dark and it is indeed the XBLA version running in 360 mode. I was looking forward to completing the game based on your recommendation.

I played until the Carrington Villa level and then something very strange happened. I had to stop playing and lie down because I felt like I was going to throw up.

Now, I've played first person shooters for over twenty years; good ones, bad ones, mediocre ones. But Perfect Dark was a unique experience for me and one I won't be revisiting.

tldr: Perfect Dark is an excellent nausea stimulator.

Ouch. Just curious, did you use the default floaty aiming or enable the option to lock it to the center? Might help to try that out.

Goldeneye and PD on the N64 had an odd control scheme compared to a lot of others where the targeting reticle would move a bit before you start turning, and you’d hold R to lock in place for precise aim. The XBLA port added in an option to lock to center all the time, like how most FPSes work.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Schadenboner posted:

So what I'm hearing here is: build walls?

it gets better

there's a tech in the medieval era that gives all cities free walls lol

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Most of your time playing is deciding whether you want a +0.0002% bonus to your Wonder Construction Speed or a +0.0002% bonus to Combat vs Enemy Horses When on Hills

Fashionable Jorts fucked around with this message at 19:32 on May 23, 2020

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Is there an upgrade to do bonus damage to horse testicles?

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

I think that's the next $20 dlc

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Schadenboner posted:

One of my greatest game regrets is Civilization: Beyond Earth. It should have been so loving good, and I think the fluff legit shows a lot of cool poo poo. But goddamn was the actual game a loving letdown.

why didnt they just reskin Alpha Centuari :negative:

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Unpopular opinion: Final Fantasy X hold up pretty drat well, and has a really tightly-presented, although simple, story. Even the cringe laugh scene is good. I'm not saying all RPGs should be streamlined corridor-style, but it's completely valid to have options like it where I don't have to wander around talking to 500 different stupid NPCs at every lull in the story. Even the super simple equipment system feels nice.

Some of the sidequest stuff is definitely stupid, but Blitzball is the only part that is actually terrible.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Martman posted:

Unpopular opinion: Final Fantasy X hold up pretty drat well, and has a really tightly-presented, although simple, story. Even the cringe laugh scene is good. I'm not saying all RPGs should be streamlined corridor-style, but it's completely valid to have options like it where I don't have to wander around talking to 500 different stupid NPCs at every lull in the story. Even the super simple equipment system feels nice.

Some of the sidequest stuff is definitely stupid, but Blitzball is the only part that is actually terrible.

FFX sphere grid is brilliant. the best evolution of the FF job system

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
You want to borrow a book from a library? Weeeell seeing how we don't even have the right district built yet it's not going to happen this year. But we'll get started right away and you can get your book in, say, six hundred years.

That's Civ6.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

You're set to build a wonder you need but surprise! You failed to forsee the ideal layout for adjacency bonuses 1000 years in advance and now it's not worth it.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Did they ever fix the

No.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Its been pretty significantly improved. Argheology stretches out the early game a bit more, the Khan and L-Gates are mid-game crises that are pretty fun to deal with, and federations + the galactic community are largely about forming alliances and dicking people over in the mid-game. There are also a lot of space creatures now that are meant to be fought in the mid-game. Wormholes open up in the mid-game so that you suddenly have new neighbors to fight and/or befriend. If you crank up Wormhole spawning rates when you spawn the map then you're basically guaranteed to have a bunch of new poo poo to do in the midgame once you get wormhole tech

AI Rebellions are technically near the end of the mid-game but that's not really something that you want to happen unless you're roleplaying or something.

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 21:57 on May 23, 2020

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

lots of people rightfully drag fire emblem three houses for the half baked anime school stuff but nobody really mentions how bad and dumb the giant monsters are

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

lots of people rightfully drag fire emblem three houses for the half baked anime school stuff but nobody really mentions how bad and dumb the giant monsters are

Look it's been what, 14 games now? They'll figure out how to make a good boss mob eventually*.

*like say at the heat death of the universe.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Someone mentioned No One Lives Forever earlier and both games are still up on that site.
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/07/05/no-one-will-sell-no-one-lives-forever-so-lets-download-it/
The games are stuck in a John Constantine paradox. Several publishers claim to own them, but going after whoever is giving them away would lead to everyone else joining in and it'd lead to a huge and costly lawsuit. It's just not worth it for such an obscure IP.

Kinda reminds me of when the Terminator license was stuck in lawsuit hell. Bethesda said gently caress it and made Future Shock and Skynet and somehow got away with it.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Dewgy posted:

Ouch. Just curious, did you use the default floaty aiming or enable the option to lock it to the center? Might help to try that out.

Goldeneye and PD on the N64 had an odd control scheme compared to a lot of others where the targeting reticle would move a bit before you start turning, and you’d hold R to lock in place for precise aim. The XBLA port added in an option to lock to center all the time, like how most FPSes work.

I used the default floaty aiming. Going to give Perfect Dark another try with 'Lock Sight' under Advanced Control Options.

e: looks like that worked! No more nausea.

e: playing the Chicago mission now and actually enjoying solving the old school 'figuring out where I'm supposed to go' instead of being treated like a tiny dumb baby with way points or some goddamn floating arrow.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 05:40 on May 24, 2020

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

I used the default floaty aiming. Going to give Perfect Dark another try with 'Lock Sight' under Advanced Control Options.

:woop:

As used to the original and as impervious to motion sickness as I am, that option is still the best part of the PD 360 port.

Like, that old scheme worked on the N64 controller and with a frame rate in the low 20s at best, but on a modern console the lock to center option makes it control so much better.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

mario odyssey is still an absolute joy to play

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

X-Com Apocalypse is by far the best game in the UFO series of computer video games.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

mario odyssey is still an absolute joy to play

That's not an unpopular opinion i should think, its a well loved game and not that old.

Now, Mario Sunshine being a joy to play, that's more like it

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

JollyBoyJohn posted:

That's not an unpopular opinion i should think, its a well loved game and not that old.

Now, Mario Sunshine being a joy to play, that's more like it

This isn't an unpopular or an opinion, but I never really "got" Super Mario Sunshine. It pretty much felt to me like Banjo Kazooie Nuts & Bolts felt, only with worse controls and less fun.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Its definitely not the most loved Mario game but it seems to attract an unfair amount of criticism

Unlike Paper Mario which is continually not attracting enough criticism

Barudak
May 7, 2007

So is Alan Wakes writing bad, or supposed to be bad on purpose because the person who made Alan real was too good at emulating bad authors?

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Its definitely not the most loved Mario game but it seems to attract an unfair amount of criticism

Unlike Paper Mario which is continually not attracting enough criticism

Paper Mario gets tons of cover because Sticker Star and Color Splash are some of the worst Nintendo games ever made.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Barudak posted:

So is Alan Wakes writing bad, or supposed to be bad on purpose because the person who made Alan real was too good at emulating bad authors?

IDK if it's bad for a Doom-clone, but it's not good.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Barudak posted:

It's not good enough at emulating good badness. Alan Wake is filled with Twin Peaks references.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Mario Sunshine has been called a bit of a hot mess and that seems about right. It's got some interesting and cool design elements and probably the most consistent and fleshed-out setting of a Mario game, but some bad design decisions and seems a bit rushed.

signalnoise posted:

It's not good enough at emulating good badness. Alan Wake is filled with Twin Peaks references.

Sounds like Deadly Premonition is probably the better janky Twin Peaks riff.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

3D Megadoodoo posted:

X-Com Apocalypse is by far the best game in the UFO series of computer video games.

I have a soft spot for Terror from the Deep. Unpatched, warts and all. Just failing and failing to rescue any semblance of civilians and often most of my squad to death or insanity. No internet to tell me what I was doing wrong just hour after hour in cruise ships and island hell. :allears:

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Sounds like Deadly Premonition is probably the better janky Twin Peaks riff.

Deadly Premonition is a fantastic game. Just batshit crazy enough, and never unplayable even with all of its problem.

Alan Wake is just boring with terrible combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I have a soft spot for Terror from the Deep. Unpatched, warts and all. Just failing and failing to rescue any semblance of civilians and often most of my squad to death or insanity. No internet to tell me what I was doing wrong just hour after hour in cruise ships and island hell. :allears:

The boat missions were simply way too long.