Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

central dogma posted:

“I’m going to be honest with you. We can’t have many more of these. We can’t make this a regular habit or our capability as a community will be strained and we will have to re-evaluate what things look like going forward,” Goddard said.

Everyone pinky swear not to do this again!
This is exactly what happens when you tell people they have to go back to work even if it’s not safe or they lose unemployment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

The US is over

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

18 months from now I’ll be sitting in the smoking ruin of society eating rat stew out of a human skull.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

bird with big dick posted:

18 months from now I’ll be sitting in the smoking ruin of society eating rat stew out of a human skull.

with any luck, it will be my skull

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

And my rat.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Smartest thing you've ever posted.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Rats with big dicks

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Synthetic Dreams posted:

Oh boy, even goons are now doomsaying over this. Feels pretty grim to be honest.

lol “even” goons, famous for their optimism and normal working brains

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Lotti Fuehrscheim posted:

Not to me. But there is always newspeak.

"weathering a storm" is a good thing. It means you're ok, you made it, you survived. The USA is not doing that.

Lotti Fuehrscheim
Jun 13, 2019

snake and bake posted:

My long-term plans have also changed to "figure out how to move to another country that at least half-heartedly pretends to care about its citizens."

What makes you think other countries want you to come? What will you contribute? Are you civilized? Do you bring a job?

Times have changed a lot since a generation ago an American could easily go wherever he wanted. Now he needs to bring serious money.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
Well, before the US ceases to exist 18 months from now, will someone please transfer the SA host overseas so that the rest of the world can keep shitposting in GBS?

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Bonaventure posted:

Thank gently caress I don't have a "working brain" like the right wing of America.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Thank gently caress I don't have a "working brain" like the right wing of America.

that’s definitely what I was implying, good work

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Rolo posted:

Is there a thread where goons talk about leaving the US permanently?

Anyone here leave for my pipe dream country, Canada?

When moving to Canada from the US, you need to spend a year or two in Alberta to allow your body to acclimatise before moving on to "Actual Canada". Moving directly from a Red State to BC or PEI can result in a severe culture shock to your system.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

It actually can be surprisingly hard to move to Canada but if you actually want to your best bet is to do a university or college (i.e. community college) degree here and qualify for the post-grad work visa. The good news is schools are going to be super desperate for international students really soon because they're a big moneymaker. The bad news is you'll be paying like 4 times the tuition as a local. Still might be cheaper that school in the US thanks to the dollar being in the toilet though!

Otherwise your only option really is to get a company to sponsor you and lol at that happening in this economy. It can be a loving nightmare even when times are good and there's legitimate gaps in the workforce.

It's a lot easier for Europeans to move here and get residency because reciprocal working holiday visas count as qualifying work experience but for some reason the US doesn't want to have one of those with Canada :rolleyes:

The express entry route is fairly straight forward (its a giant headache , but achievable). Just be under 30, have a degree and a few years experience in your field. Or have a trade cert and a few years experience. And speak perfect English and/or French. Preferably both. And be prepared to trawl through hours of contradictory online forms. And pay about $2000 for fees and tests and medical exams. It took me about a year start to finish and it was stressful as gently caress. But if you're organized and diligent it's not insurmountable.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

SHISHKABOB posted:

"weathering a storm" is a good thing. It means you're ok, you made it, you survived. The USA is not doing that.

We should have a three page derail to argue with some goon who doesn't understand a common idiom. Really litigate the meaning of 'weathering' and 'storm' in the context of a metaphor.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I got news for those that want to leave the US:

Found this in the first class cabin magazine on an AA flight last year. Ngl, i was tempted

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Outrail posted:

The express entry route is fairly straight forward (its a giant headache , but achievable). Just be under 30, have a degree and a few years experience in your field. Or have a trade cert and a few years experience. And speak perfect English and/or French. Preferably both. And be prepared to trawl through hours of contradictory online forms. And pay about $2000 for fees and tests and medical exams. It took me about a year start to finish and it was stressful as gently caress. But if you're organized and diligent it's not insurmountable.

I thought there was still the requirement of at least one year of that work experience being in Canada but I could be wrong.

It also really depends on how the points stack out each year. I've had friends with grad degrees, relevant Canadian work experience, and near perfect language scores barely squeak in.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I’m too lazy for any kind of apocalypse or civil war or whatever dumb poo poo this country decides to do so I’m just going to lock myself in the basement with a bunch of narcotics and nes games. Given my propensity for substance abuse I’ll last about 3 hours.

Synthetic Dreams
Jul 19, 2005

by Cyrano4747

Bonaventure posted:

I suppose that is very true, hm. Alright.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Cacafuego posted:

I got news for those that want to leave the US:

Found this in the first class cabin magazine on an AA flight last year. Ngl, i was tempted

That looks tempting. Gonna forward to my friends. Might have to dip into the trust fund but shouldnt be a problem.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Shaocaholica posted:

That looks tempting. Gonna forward to my friends. Might have to dip into the trust fund but shouldnt be a problem.

I could build a guillotine with just a couple of my unemployment checks. Might have to hit the foodbank but that shouldn't be a problem.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
*laughs in dual citizenship*

just gotta hope one of those countries makes it i guess

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I walked the dogs past the flats today, which is basically all bars. Ohio re-opened dine in sitting yesterday.

Mostly old fat white patrons, no masks on them at all. All staff were wearing one with the nose fully exposed. This does not bode well for any of these establishments that on noon during a holiday weekend they were at like 20% capacity.

Local super good ice cream place opened today. Surprisingly masks on half the people waiting in line. Nowhere near any distancing on them.

Now it's time to go risk death so I can plant tomatoes and peppers.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

The virus will not rid me of joy of living as I party through Mardi Gras! *dies*

TenTonHammer
Oct 3, 2003
Davidian

:dukedog:
Ventured back to the local home town walmart after avoid all of it all the plague. This is a small walmart too, half the size of a "supercenter" one. Walk in, and the registers were flooded, the worst I have ever seen at any walmart. There were 6 lines open, and the lines were backed up from the registers all the way into the food/market section. Of course there were maybe 3 or 4 people total wearing masks that I saw. I just turned around and went back out. It's not worth my safety to stand in line with all these chuds that were not protecting anyone or distancing at all except for the cart they were pushing.

Also, has anyone encountered verbal abuse yet for wearing a mask? I fully expect it here, as I have started to get the evil eye from a lot of people when I have mine on if I am out. I'm just waiting for one of the local trumpsters to bust out a line on me about CO2 poisoning or masks are useless/murica freedom!

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Now it's time to go risk death so I can plant tomatoes and peppers.

Hardware stores have curbside pickup.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

TenTonHammer posted:

Also, has anyone encountered verbal abuse yet for wearing a mask? I fully expect it here, as I have started to get the evil eye from a lot of people when I have mine on if I am out. I'm just waiting for one of the local trumpsters to bust out a line on me about CO2 poisoning or masks are useless/murica freedom!

Verbal? Lol.

https://www.nytimes.com./2020/05/08/us/coronavirus-masks-dollar-store-shooting-flint-Michigan.html
https://kdvr.com/news/coronavirus/man-accused-of-shooting-waffle-house-cook-after-face-mask-dispute-in-aurora/
https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/06/us/mcdonalds-employees-shot-coronavirus/index.html
https://www.kens5.com/article/news/crime/shooting-suspect-identified/273-efc980fe-65bf-47c8-acf9-32ffa1ef4e63

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

TenTonHammer posted:

Ventured back to the local home town walmart after avoid all of it all the plague. This is a small walmart too, half the size of a "supercenter" one. Walk in, and the registers were flooded, the worst I have ever seen at any walmart. There were 6 lines open, and the lines were backed up from the registers all the way into the food/market section. Of course there were maybe 3 or 4 people total wearing masks that I saw. I just turned around and went back out. It's not worth my safety to stand in line with all these chuds that were not protecting anyone or distancing at all except for the cart they were pushing.

So you went to the Walmart and the other people who made the same decision you did were in the wrong?
And also you haven't actually GOTTEN any abuse, you just feel like you've gotten the "evil eye" from people in public you think you know to be Donald Trump supporters. Am I right in that?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Lotti Fuehrscheim
Jun 13, 2019

Outdoors there is almost no risk. Also touching objects is almost risk free.

Inside with a lot of people is dangerous: singing and shouting (church), talking to each other (restaurant), or cold and wet (meat processing) in a poorly ventilated room, that is where covid19 spreads itself.

Just in, 40 miles to the East right over the border in Germany: 50 people quarantined after visiting one restaurant. 40 infections from a single church service in Frankfurt. Yes, baptists, the kind of Christians that are so common in the US.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Bonaventure posted:

Excuse me

Could an abnormal brain post like I do

I do not believe so mr. BONAVENTURE

My brain = extremely normal and cool
Your brain = sucks poo poo and is rude

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Outdoors there is almost no risk. Also touching objects is almost risk free.

Inside with a lot of people is dangerous: singing and shouting (church), talking to each other (restaurant), or cold and wet (meat processing) in a poorly ventilated room, that is where covid19 spreads itself.

Just in, 40 miles to the East right over the border in Germany: 50 people quarantined after visiting one restaurant. 40 infections from a single church service in Frankfurt. Yes, baptists, the kind of Christians that are so common in the US.

Offices!

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Yes, baptists, the kind of Christians that are so common in the US.

Baptists are everywhere. Don't go thinking Europe is some utopia where gullible people don't exist, even mormons recruit people from Europe (1850s hand cart disaster was almost entirely Europeans).

Now when your people are actively sending money to Israel to bring about the end times, then you can blame on americans.

Who am I kidding, those loons are definitely in Europe too.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

snake and bake posted:

My long-term plans have also changed to "figure out how to move to another country that at least half-heartedly pretends to care about its citizens."

I don’t see the us is going anywhere, but I see it getting a lot worse before not ever getting better.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
There's something about the refrigerated air in grocery stores that has always made my nose and eyes water like a bastard, making shameful trips even more guilt inducing when you are leaking like a faucet.

TenTonHammer
Oct 3, 2003
Davidian

:dukedog:

Big Beef City posted:

So you went to the Walmart and the other people who made the same decision you did were in the wrong?
And also you haven't actually GOTTEN any abuse, you just feel like you've gotten the "evil eye" from people in public you think you know to be Donald Trump supporters. Am I right in that?

Considering its the only place to pick up my mom's seizure and heart meds and her groceries in town, yes. And I go in wearing an n95 unlike most people, unlike everyone else who brings their whole 6 children family out cause it's memorial day weekend and it's not gonna stop them, herp derp. Also notice I said "verbal abuse yet? I fully expect it". That means I have not gotten it, but thanks for your reading comprehension skills.

TenTonHammer fucked around with this message at 20:14 on May 23, 2020

astral
Apr 26, 2004

TenTonHammer posted:

Walmart has (free) contactless grocery pickup these days and I wholeheartedly recommend using it: https://grocery.walmart.com/

e: if the seizure/heart meds are prescription and not OTC, a lot of places can deliver prescriptions these days so it might be worth looking into whether that is possible for those medications

astral fucked around with this message at 20:22 on May 23, 2020

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Pier 1 is closing down and beginning liquidation sales, so you better believe people were lined up outside of the store I drove by this afternoon. Few were wearing masks and they were lined up normally, no distancing. Hope they enjoy getting fleeced and also COVID.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Wicker face masks cost Pier 1 heavily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Backweb posted:

Hey thread. I got a hosed up slow-mo trainwreck story for everyone!

My sister and I have lost the battle for reason with our boomer parents. They were never chuds, but "terminal boomer brain" is a thing.

They both work for school systems and have basically been on paid vacations since February. This whole time they've been itching to go relax at a dinky little condo they bought years back as investment property in Ocean City, Maryland.

The entire population of Maryland is in Ocean City right now.

Here's a fun game: Spot the mask. You'll lose.

Dying for my freedom fries.