Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Columbo is like an archaeological dig into the 70's. It operates at a slower pace and seems to focus on more mundane things than other shows.

It's also funny to see famous actors who were maybe past their prime guest star on it. Shatner was on the show 4 times playing 4 different characters while he was struggling to make rent in between Star Treks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
The TTG movie was very good though.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Push El Burrito posted:

The TTG movie was very good though.

TTG is just really solid. It’s one of the few kid shows that has a staunch online hate club which is impressive in itself

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

CharlestheHammer posted:

TTG is just really solid. It’s one of the few kid shows that has a staunch online hate club which is impressive in itself

Is it hated more or less than Johnny Test?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Mister Kingdom posted:

Is it hated more of less than Johnny Test?

I did not know people had any feelings on Johnny Test

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

CharlestheHammer posted:

I did not know people had any feelings on Johnny Test

I've read some posts that describe it as the worst thing in the history of mankind.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The main issue with both Teen Titans Go and Johnny Test is that they're both overplayed to a ridiculous degree by Cartoon Network, adding insult to injury given CN was so eager to cancel pretty much every other DC superhero show. With TTG in particular it's beyond parody, as literally 90% of the channel's daily programming became TTG reruns at some points. I don't know if it's gotten any better.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mister Kingdom posted:

I've read some posts that describe it as the worst thing in the history of mankind.

Allen Gregory has that spot pretty well covered.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Traditional networks in general are overplaying their most popular stuff as they struggle to stay alive in the age of streaming.

As far as TTG goes, I remember seeing one episode that was basically just one big excuse to mock people who liked the original series. If you prefer TTG and didn't like the old one at all, then fair game, but it felt incredibly mean-spirited and not at all funny. It left a bad taste in my mouth.

Kaiser Mazoku has a new favorite as of 17:13 on May 23, 2020

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Ugly In The Morning posted:

No argument there.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mister Kingdom posted:

No argument there.

I have never seen a show get so thoroughly memory holed. They don’t even sell the episodes on amazon, unlike literally every other fox show.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

I have never seen a show get so thoroughly memory holed. They don’t even sell the episodes on amazon, unlike literally every other fox show.

Just out of curiosity, I had to look for it. The loving thing has its own YouTube channel with all seven episodes.

There are 15 subscribers. What in the holy gently caress?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There are some people who liked it. I don't want to know why.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

I had to look up what the gently caress Allen Gregory was. I don't know why but I somehow confused it with Brickleberry.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I had to look up what the gently caress Allen Gregory was. I don't know why but I somehow confused it with Brickleberry.

It’s an incredible train wreck. I still can’t believe it aired in 2011, everything about it screams “show from 2003 that was incredibly dated and offensive by 2010”

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!

It’s an incredible train wreck. I still can’t believe it aired in 2011, everything about it screams “show from 2003 that was incredibly dated and offensive by 2010”

i just thought of this show for some reason the other day. this sums it up very well.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I wonder if there's thread material in what a piece of media might have been like if it was made ten years later. I've said that Animorphs could have ridden the YA wave if it came after Harry Potter showed kids can and will read novel-length books, it already had the content and tone. (Hella dark and violent) House MD became a formulaic parody of itself but kinda came off as a prototype for prestige television style serials. (At least with a charismatic rear end in a top hat protagonist and lots of well-off white people yelling at each other)

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I wonder if there's thread material in what a piece of media might have been like if it was made ten years later. I've said that Animorphs could have ridden the YA wave if it came after Harry Potter showed kids can and will read novel-length books, it already had the content and tone. (Hella dark and violent) House MD became a formulaic parody of itself but kinda came off as a prototype for prestige television style serials. (At least with a charismatic rear end in a top hat protagonist and lots of well-off white people yelling at each other)

Man, if Animorphs had come out when it could do seven novel-length books instead of basically monthly shorts it would be regarded as a YA classic, it had some really cool plots buried in a bunch of ghostwritten chaff.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Mister Kingdom posted:

Just out of curiosity, I had to look for it. The loving thing has its own YouTube channel with all seven episodes.

Those might be people who want a record of it for historical interest.

It is truly, by leaps and bounds, the worst show I have ever seen. There is nothing even close. No comparison at all.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's weird to have such a consensus opinion, too, basically everyone who ever watched it agrees it's the worst thing they've ever seen.

Meanwhile, my two most hated moves (I am Sam and Killer Joe) weren't even especially unpopular.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The TVIV thread when it was airing was amazing, i’m trying to dig it up from the archives right now. Everyone loving hated it before it even came out. I’ve never seen a show that was so actively repellant to everyone. The reception was so poor it’s honestly confusing how anyone signed off on any of it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I mostly know I Am Sam from Tropic Thunder's famous riff on it.

I have nostalgia for Butt Ugly Martians, but it was the first thing on before the anime in the mornings before school and generally relaxing enough to watch.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Man, if Animorphs had come out when it could do seven novel-length books instead of basically monthly shorts it would be regarded as a YA classic, it had some really cool plots buried in a bunch of ghostwritten chaff.

The author put it all online for free, so I re-read them last year, skipping a few of the more terrible ghostwritten stuff. They hold up! (Unlike Everworld, which I loved at the time, but is full of early 00's references and gay panic jokes.) Plus K. A. Applegate is vocally pro trans, since one of her children transitioned. She's like the anti-Rowling.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'll still recommend looking up Captain Zed and the Zee Zone on youtube, an old british show that's a lot of fun. It had some imaginative premises.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

If Animorphs had tried doing a live-action show now, it'd probably be crazy successful, instead of the abortion of a run it had on Nickelodeon.
Hulu or Netflix or somebody would eat that poo poo up in this day and age.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Given reboots and remakes are all the rage, Animorphs could always try a do-over.

BioEnchanted posted:

I'll still recommend looking up Captain Zed and the Zee Zone on youtube, an old british show that's a lot of fun. It had some imaginative premises.

That's come up a bit recently, and it does sound interesting. A pity about half the episodes apparently aren't available in watchable condition.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I think it was me mentioning it every time. The surviving episodes are definitely worth it. Here's a playlist, I think all of these are decent quality, or as good as it gets: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7xBRbHI5IpiXo6UiYLqs1PPVi9hJeG23

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Given reboots and remakes are all the rage, Animorphs could always try a do-over.

That's come up a bit recently, and it does sound interesting. A pity about half the episodes apparently aren't available in watchable condition.

https://animorphs.fandom.com/wiki/Relaunch

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Pick posted:

Those might be people who want a record of it for historical interest.

It is truly, by leaps and bounds, the worst show I have ever seen. There is nothing even close. No comparison at all.

I'm tempted to download them, burn them to a disk, and smash the disc with a hammer.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Found the Allen Gregory thread if anyone is interested.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3445803

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

the_steve posted:

If Animorphs had tried doing a live-action show now, it'd probably be crazy successful, instead of the abortion of a run it had on Nickelodeon.
Hulu or Netflix or somebody would eat that poo poo up in this day and age.

Speaking of Neckelodeon, The Last Airbender series is back on Netflix. No Korra yet, and it doesn't look to be the Blue Ray release, but it's a chance to get people to watch it.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Mister Kingdom posted:

I've said for decades that everything is somebody's favorite thing. Picture the worst movie, song, TV show, whatever - it's the favorite thing for someone, somewhere.

As the French say: À chacun son goût.

Or if you prefer the Latin: De gustibus non est disputantum.

Or if you prefer the vulgar Latin: Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

gently caress

Quote is not edit...

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

mllaneza posted:

Speaking of Neckelodeon, The Last Airbender series is back on Netflix. No Korra yet, and it doesn't look to be the Blue Ray release, but it's a chance to get people to watch it.

The only way to watch Avatar is on the Nicktoons channel for the pop-up trivia

It's the only place you'll get confirmation Jet was murdered off screen

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Len posted:

It's the only place you'll get confirmation Jet was murdered off screen
It was unclear.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Holy cow. I scared up and watched the first episode out of morbid curiosity, and the best thing I can say about it is that the joke at the very beginning - where Richard calls Julie up and is performative about how he adopted her while obviously knowing nothing about her - I can see coming out of Rusty Venture's mouth. The rest of the episode - gently caress, this should have cost Jonah Hill his career.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Oh come on, how bad can it be?

quote:

Nat Faxon as Jeremy De Longpre, Richard's husband. Jeremy is a former social worker who had a loving wife and family, although this changed after Richard became one of his clients. Richard was attracted to Jeremy to the point where he started stalking him and his family until Jeremy finally agreed to be his husband. It is said that Jeremy is actually heterosexual but left his wife and children for Richard, who offered him an easy, no-maintenance life as his trophy husband. He is a nice guy and a bit of a pushover, and receives little to no respect from Allen or Richard.
:ohdear:

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

quote:

Nat Faxon as Jeremy De Longpre, Richard's husband. Jeremy is a former social worker who had a loving wife and family, although this changed after Richard became one of his clients. Richard was attracted to Jeremy to the point where he started stalking him and his family until Jeremy finally agreed to be his husband. It is said that Jeremy is actually heterosexual but left his wife and children for Richard, who offered him an easy, no-maintenance life as his trophy husband. He is a nice guy and a bit of a pushover, and receives little to no respect from Allen or Richard.
Is this not the premise to a psychological horror?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

MrUnderbridge posted:

I've said for decades that everything is somebody's favorite thing. Picture the worst movie, song, TV show, whatever - it's the favorite thing for someone, somewhere.

As the French say: À chacun son goût.

Or if you prefer the Latin: De gustibus non est disputantum.

Or if you prefer the vulgar Latin: Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.

על טעם ועל ריח אין להתווכח.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Critic would of been a perfect [AS] show had it premiered a few years later.