Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I only noticed it was Springer a while after it was out of stock :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

What's the deal with the white box War for Cybertron reissues?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Dawgstar posted:

What's the deal with the white box War for Cybertron reissues?

They’re tie-ins for the forthcoming Netflix series.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Mostly cast in dark plastic and painted over for Grime Reasons

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.
Grime Reasons is my favorite dudecore cover band.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.
Siege Apeface is a love letter to “tabs”. I’ve seldom been less sure if anything is transformed correctly.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Asphyxious posted:

Siege Apeface is a love letter to “tabs”. I’ve seldom been less sure if anything is transformed correctly.

I've come to really dislike tabs on Transformers, or indeed most of the methods they use to hold them together in either mode, Hasbro has been really bad about handling it in a consistent manner for years now

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Lots of tabs on TFs these days use this weird soft plastic, so they never sit right/flush. Siege Skytread/Flywheels’s tank mode had them all over the place.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
hey rhyno, do you know if this OSKO devastator set is the same as the ones where the individual bots were like 15ish bucks a bit back, or is it a crappier version? those individual ones were solid but if this is a worse quality version I'll skip it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/IN-STOCK-N...5.c100037.m2107

and do you think the seller's legit, they've got a lot of recent positive feedback, but I know that sort of seller can ghost instantly. there's a few listings of theirs I'm curious about that I'd consider if they're a reputable seller.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

hey rhyno, do you know if this OSKO devastator set is the same as the ones where the individual bots were like 15ish bucks a bit back, or is it a crappier version? those individual ones were solid but if this is a worse quality version I'll skip it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/IN-STOCK-N...5.c100037.m2107

and do you think the seller's legit, they've got a lot of recent positive feedback, but I know that sort of seller can ghost instantly. there's a few listings of theirs I'm curious about that I'd consider if they're a reputable seller.

I don't have a final answer, but there were two copies of the old one, which IIRC looked superficially similar but were either pretty well made, or had medium tolerances.
I have the $15 ones, and I *think* that is tot he same, and those are medium tolerances, but there was a higher quality release IIRC from a near clone mold.

But I may be wrong so wait for Rhyno.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That is absolutely the NBK set. It's not OS and it's very simplified.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
alright, sounds good. I'll pick up a set, the individual bots are good fun at the very least.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Today is the anniversary of the first known reference to Transformers on the internet:

https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!original/net.comics/TuupqbD-CBc/dgMOYd_32hwJ

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I like that there's an address at the end of the post. I feel like I should write a letter to that address asking them to forward on the OTHER letter inside it to wherever Ted is now, so as to explain to him how he's wrong and that quote is actually hilarious as gently caress and also since then we have discovered naturally occuring gears so NYAH.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Arquinsiel posted:

I like that there's an address at the end of the post. I feel like I should write a letter to that address asking them to forward on the OTHER letter inside it to wherever Ted is now, so as to explain to him how he's wrong and that quote is actually hilarious as gently caress and also since then we have discovered naturally occuring gears so NYAH.

The TFWiki article about Transformers #1 notes that TFU.info tracked down and interviewed Ted Nolan about his post back in 2018. That interview is here. (disclaimer: I haven't listened to it and can't vouch for if it's good or not.)

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Hell yeah

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

MechFansToys don’t just do upscaled KOs of Iron Factory and KOs of the Diaclone Reboot stuff, they’ve done some original figures. I’m quite a fan — I prefer the legends-plus size; quite a few of the newer figures are about the size of a small deluxe. Among their originals are Huge Dragon (Omega Supreme), Flame Commander (Hot Rod/Rodimus Prime), Springer, Huffer, Pipes, Gears, Swerve, and some of the Headmasters. Most of them come with a Diaclone powersuit in a similar colour scheme, which I really like.

Springer, Pipes, and Huffer suffer a bit from being over-simple, I’ve not had a chance to get their Swerve/Gears, and their other original stuff I really like. If people are interested I’m happy to review a few other bits.

But today, I’m looking at the Headmasters. I’ve had their Chromedome since it came out; his G1 toy was my first Headmaster and I’m a sucker for nostalgia. I caved earlier this month and got Hardhead and Weirdwolf. Highbrow and Mindwipe are up for pre-order and I’m sure we’ll see the others soon.

What I like about all three — and this goes for all their originals post Huge Dragon — is that they’re a bit more complex than you might first think when looking at a legends-plus figure. The way Hardhead’s legs and feet form the back of the tank for example is really nice (though I wish the treads had something to had something to stop them over-extending, but that’s a minor quibble. Weirdwolf’s neck has a couple of stops, so it can be straight or angled up. The rear legs only have knee and ankle articulation, though, so it can be a bit tricky getting a decent pose. Chromedome is… Chromedome. He looks how I remember the G1 toy looking, which means he looks much better than that toy, because the lens of how I remember it has a liberal coating of the vaseline of nostalgia.

Oh, and they do all have opening cockpits for the headmasters to ride along in.

As mentioned, they each come with a Diaclone power-suit in thematically-appropriate colours, though sadly not with a Dianaut to pilot it. Also sadly, the headmasters themselves don’t fit to pilot them.

Chromedome came out a bit before MFT went on to customise the exo-suits, which is a pity, though the suit does come with a couple of large guns sized to be SMGs for the larger robot. Weirdwolf’s is obviously Aliens’ power-loader, and Hardhead has copies of all three guns of the larger robot. Incidentally, this carries through to other toys — Mini Sentry is Omega Supreme as an exo-suit, while Flame Commander’s power suit has the traditional Hot Rod fin.

You’ll be unsurprised to find out that I properly love these.

And here we have our headmasters in robot mode. Transformation on all three is not particularly complex, which makes them fun desk-toys; it’s easy enough to figure out from the various photos. That said it’s not entirely basic; there’s enough there to keep me interested and I’m definitely one for more puzzle-box-esque transformations. The way Weirdwolf’s legs fold out of his wolf body and rear legs is really neat (though it’s not until reviewing this photo that I realised I Liefielded his feet), as are Hardhead’s legs. Chromedome’s feet are a nice touch — it’d be very easy to just have the legs flip round like 80% of Micromaster/Mini-Con cars, but the cream pieces fold around to make his feet. His legs can also store the Diaclone suit’s SMGs, which explains why the powersuit is going unarmed just now.

It only now occurs to me that all of the interesting stuff happens in the legs. I’m not sure if there’s a specific reason or if it’s just coincidence. I’m sure someone can work their Kremlinological skills on MFT’s designers, but I’m not drunk enough to try right now.

If people want to see more of their stuff, let me know and I’ll try to put something together.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
That's the spice

https://twitter.com/tfdrums/status/1263164727989067777?s=20

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Sad day at the Rhyno household. The supply line to our hose spigot has ruptured and sent water into my hobby room. We didn't catch it immediately so the water ran down into the room and saturated the carpet and pad and began to mildew. None of my crap was damaged and all my shelves and displays are safe but repairs will require ripping into the wall and ceiling and will be very messy. So I've been packing everything up and moving it upstairs and this was really the final straw. After much discussion my wife and I are going to put this house on the market in roughly 45 days. The search has begun for a new home with better water mitigation so my precious babies will be safe.

Between this and the Action Figure thread we have an amazing little corner of toy collecting and I really appreciate how great you guys have been.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno posted:

Sad day at the Rhyno household. The supply line to our hose spigot has ruptured and sent water into my hobby room. We didn't catch it immediately so the water ran down into the room and saturated the carpet and pad and began to mildew. None of my crap was damaged and all my shelves and displays are safe but repairs will require ripping into the wall and ceiling and will be very messy. So I've been packing everything up and moving it upstairs and this was really the final straw. After much discussion my wife and I are going to put this house on the market in roughly 45 days. The search has begun for a new home with better water mitigation so my precious babies will be safe.

Between this and the Action Figure thread we have an amazing little corner of toy collecting and I really appreciate how great you guys have been.

Oh God and you have a Unicron on the way

To be serious, I'm really sorry to hear that. Moving is the Devil without any of the fun parts of sinning. I hope you can get a great deal on the house and find a better replacement for the space. Stay safe man

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The only bright spot it the housing boom here. We bought knowing it needed work and we're 80% finished (backyard and kitchen is all that remains) and we got a great deal. In the time since the local values have flown up. If we can sell the house for what our realtor thinks we'll net a significant profit which will allow us a quite large down payment on the new house. This will mean we can buy newer construction that will hopefully be closer to my employer.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
That sucks Rhyno. Moving and packing and all that is really lame, but it sounds like you’ve got a great handle on the situation.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
That'd be fantastic. Cutting commute down and upgrading the base state of your home would be almost worth the hassle. Best of luck man

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

MFT’s Omega Supreme is really good. I still need to get the upgrade head tank for him.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Thanks guys, it's going to suck BUT the first place on the list has a basement 1.5 times bigger than this which of course means more Detolfs.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong

Rhyno posted:

Sorry to hear that man. We had a very nearly similar thing happen and if we had not caught it quickly it would have become a basement re-finish. As it was we noticed early on and I had to move a ton of furniture and bots, pull up the carpet, rip out the pad and run a dehumidifier and a bunch of fans. It was a pretty frightening day just thinking of the potential damage. Our water issue came from unusually heavy rains for our area though. We're going to fix the drainage on that side of the house rather than move.

Best of luck!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Rhyno posted:

Thanks guys, it's going to suck BUT the first place on the list has a basement 1.5 times bigger than this which of course means more Detolfs.

will you disassemble your detolfs or just move them whole cloth

you have like 20 of them now right

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This was just too much. Last year we discovered that the main water supply was leaking. It wasn't flooding but it ran directly into the sump basin so our sump pump went off every 8 minutes and we burned out two pumps in 6 months trying to sort it out. Through sheer luck we discovered that the previous owners were aware of the issue and did their best to hide it. But when confronted with their fraud and under threat of us suing the bejesus out of them they paid for that repair but not for all the work we'd put into figuring it out.

So we've just put enough time and money into this house, it's just got a bad vibe overall. Time to sell and gtfo.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
If I was looking to sell I'd definitely do it before Great Depression II hits.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GD_American posted:

If I was looking to sell I'd definitely do it before Great Depression II hits.

The plan is be ready to list in 5 weeks. Trends in our neighborhood have been really good. Three on our block have sold since we moved in, all within a week.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Rhyno posted:

The plan is be ready to list in 5 weeks. Trends in our neighborhood have been really good. Three on our block have sold since we moved in, all within a week.

Just make sure your next house isn't built on a cursed graveyard or something.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Technowolf posted:

Just make sure your next house isn't built on a cursed graveyard or something.

There will definitely be some manner of evil spirit. We're pretty sure this house was haunted when we moved in.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
the entire united states is a desecrated indigeonous burial groud, you're hosed either way

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DoctorWhat posted:

the entire united states is a desecrated indigeonous burial groud, you're hosed either way

Truth.

My wife found a house with a 900 sqft finished basement that has a 10x10 room at one end and uh, I think it would make an excellent Tardis control room.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno posted:

Truth.

My wife found a house with a 900 sqft finished basement that has a 10x10 room at one end and uh, I think it would make an excellent Tardis control room.

You know what you must do

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Rhyno posted:

Truth.

Do it.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

poo poo, Rhyno. That sucks. I hope things go smoothly from here on.

The_Doctor posted:

MFT’s Omega Supreme is really good. I still need to get the upgrade head tank for him.

When I bought it, I legit thought I was getting ripped off because I just wanted the extra tank head. I was wrong; this wee shite is so much loving fun to play with:

Yup. It’s an Omega Supreme style Diaclone power suit thing. Replete with track-wing backpack.

But what totally hooked me is that it actually transforms.

This is, I think, the best looking rocket-base, but the wee cannon-bit that sticks out of the back of Omega’s head needs to be removed; it’s a bit of a pain to keep safe if just playing around.

Fortunately, this being Diaclone in origin, the suit’s joints have a lot of flexibility, and this is a decent rocket base when I’m just loving around with things.

Oh, yeah, and the replacement head for the full-size Omega Supreme is pretty awesome too.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Oh yeah, I’m looking forward to getting him too!

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Through sheer luck we discovered that the previous owners were aware of the issue and did their best to hide it.

gently caress those people. ive had to deal with that same type of poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Still waiting on my Nemesis Prime, but I did pick up a Siege Ratchet from Walgreens because it looks like they’re going for $50 online.