Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Each uncommon adds 0.3% to the vault. I didn't think Commons did but I haven't been tracking. It's much harder to work out for them since you don't get common ICRs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

thespaceinvader posted:

Each uncommon adds 0.3% to the vault. I didn't think Commons did but I haven't been tracking. It's much harder to work out for them since you don't get common ICRs.
It's 1 point for commons and 3 points for uncommons requiring 1000 points per vault. And yeah, you get your commons in the big dumps of packs and draft, so it's hard to make much sense.

The real odd advantage of an active vault now is the game is outright screwy when it comes to reward pop ups so you can use it to tell if an ICR gave a rare you didn't have. Or maybe that's just my client, which is acting increasingly bizarre. Speaking of which, did they remove the number of days left on the season in profile?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Spiderdrake posted:

It's 1 point for commons and 3 points for uncommons requiring 1000 points per vault. And yeah, you get your commons in the big dumps of packs and draft, so it's hard to make much sense.

The real odd advantage of an active vault now is the game is outright screwy when it comes to reward pop ups so you can use it to tell if an ICR gave a rare you didn't have. Or maybe that's just my client, which is acting increasingly bizarre. Speaking of which, did they remove the number of days left on the season in profile?

Cool I did wonder.

And now that I look at it it looks like they did remove the set/season countdown clocks.

That's sucky.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
When Gemrazer mutates can it destroy Enchantment Creatures?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

SalTheBard posted:

When Gemrazer mutates can it destroy Enchantment Creatures?

yes, enchantment creatures are enchantments as well as creatures

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

flatluigi posted:

yes, enchantment creatures are enchantments as well as creatures

drat. I screwed up against a Mono White deck I just played :(

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

VictualSquid posted:

I just played against an anti-black lurrus deck. Running dreadhorde arcanists.

No idea what the plan was, but it looked funny.

The biggest hose card I've gone up against as Lurrus, and I've only seen it used once, is a deck with Apostle of Purifying Light. Prot black and eats your graveyard is somehow worse than Graffdiggers.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Zero VGS posted:

The biggest hose card I've gone up against as Lurrus, and I've only seen it used once, is a deck with Apostle of Purifying Light. Prot black and eats your graveyard is somehow worse than Graffdiggers.

Wait till a FotD uses Bojuka Bog on you

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Game one of my return to Simic Nexus. Opponent sees green blue and concedes. Second match my opponent stays and rage ropes when Nexus goes off.

Evil has never felt so good.

Aeble
Oct 21, 2010

I just picked up Arena after not having played MTG since I was a kid 20 years ago. It's super addicting, but also so much of a roller coaster. I've really liked the style of the blue starter deck, but I can't help but feel that there's a lot of games where it I have trouble fathoming even how you're supposed to deal with the bullshit that's thrown at you. So it goes from cackling from unsummoning and negating spells to seeing some hexproof creature played on turn 3 that then gets mutated into a monster that I cannot touch. I did have a game where I brought the other guy down to 1 hp while he had 5 active enchantments, a planeswalker and all sorts of crazy loving cards going on - if I knew the game better I could probably have taken that one.

I need to take the wildcards I got from the codes in the OP and make a deck that'll allow me to compete better, but I'm still just trying to get to grips with the mechanics and do daily quests to get more reconstructed decks. When you gain more experience and proper decks, do you still encounter games that are simply lost before they even start during to how they're constructed? I hope at least the rate is lower.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I've had many games where I've gotten my opponent to sub 10 life and had to concede at 20 life because my deck has run out of steam or they get something on the board that I can't deal with.

EDIT:

I was playing Brawl today and was pretty much destroying my opponent, he got Liliana out (she makes you sacrifice 2 creatures (-4) or she can create a 2/2 zombie for her +1) and I didn't have an answer for it. Opponent was at 5 health and I had 30. I reviewed what I had in my deck and there wasn't anything I had that would let me get 2+ creatures out in play and deal enough damage to her through the army of 2/2 zombies + the dreadhorde from Command the Dreadhorde, so I knew I was pretty much toast and it was just a question if I wanted the game to go 10 more rounds or just concede.

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 20:16 on May 23, 2020

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Aeble posted:

I just picked up Arena after not having played MTG since I was a kid 20 years ago. It's super addicting, but also so much of a roller coaster. I've really liked the style of the blue starter deck, but I can't help but feel that there's a lot of games where it I have trouble fathoming even how you're supposed to deal with the bullshit that's thrown at you. So it goes from cackling from unsummoning and negating spells to seeing some hexproof creature played on turn 3 that then gets mutated into a monster that I cannot touch. I did have a game where I brought the other guy down to 1 hp while he had 5 active enchantments, a planeswalker and all sorts of crazy loving cards going on - if I knew the game better I could probably have taken that one.

I need to take the wildcards I got from the codes in the OP and make a deck that'll allow me to compete better, but I'm still just trying to get to grips with the mechanics and do daily quests to get more reconstructed decks. When you gain more experience and proper decks, do you still encounter games that are simply lost before they even start during to how they're constructed? I hope at least the rate is lower.
You will encounter draws that your deck cannot beat a whole lot. Your opponent still has to draw those cards but it is one of the reasons MtG's favored competitive play mode is best of 3.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
You can build a deck to hard counter another deck. And, in any matchup there's going to be a favoured winner. But it's definitely more of a failing of intro deck design that some decks can't deal with things like "having a single flyer in your deck."

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I played a really nutty game today. Person I was playing started the game with 2 Leyline's of Abundance in their starting hand and their turns went like this:

Turn 1 - 2x Leyline of Abundance, Land
Turn 2 - Land, Leafkin Druid
Turn 3 - Land, Nissa, Turned a Land into an Elemental
Turn 4 - Land, Turned land into an Elemental, Nyxbloom Ancient, End Raze Forerunners

Me - Holy gently caress what is happening this game O_O

The Forerunner might have been T5, but I don't recall.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Aeble posted:

It's probably worth noting at this point that whilst the starter decks aren't aggressively awful, they are still really, really not good.

They'll do you for a little while but you will want to graduate from them pretty quickly.

You'll be far more likely to run into stuff you can't beat when you're running them.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I was trying to find the decklist for that Mono Black Lurrus + Kaya's Ghostform deck. Does anyone have by chance?

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

SalTheBard posted:

I was trying to find the decklist for that Mono Black Lurrus + Kaya's Ghostform deck. Does anyone have by chance?

Zero VGS posted:

Hell yeah, I just hit Mythic with my Mono-B Card Advantage (I was one win from Mythic a week ago but ran into a wall of nonstop Yorion players that seems to have dried up):

Drewjitsu posted:

Here are an extra 14 cards to make it a bo3 deck! The deck seems really great, although I don't know how much of a fight it puts up against Lukka Fires. Perhaps more Libations in the board to fight off Fires. Not sure if duress should be agonizing remorse. Mana feels pretty tight.

Sideboard
1 Lurrus of the Dream Den (IKO) 226
1 Tymaret, Chosen from Death (THB) 119
4 Duress (M19) 94
3 Noxious Grasp (M20) 110
2 Sorcerous Spyglass (XLN) 248
2 Pharika's Libation (THB) 111
2 Epic Downfall (ELD) 85

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
u guys im serial u guys run more Fiend Artisans u guys

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Historics really cool, loads of different fun decks (+ a lot of yorion goodstuff piles).

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

SalTheBard posted:

Current version:

Companion

Deck
4 Dead Weight (GRN) 67
4 Hateful Eidolon (THB) 101
4 Kaya's Ghostform (WAR) 94
4 Knight of the Ebon Legion (M20) 105
4 Order of Midnight (ELD) 99
2 Burglar Rat (GRN) 64
4 Mire's Grasp (THB) 106
4 Priest of Forgotten Gods (RNA) 83
4 Yarok's Fenlurker (M20) 123
4 Castle Locthwain (ELD) 241
4 Fiend Artisan (IKO) 220
17 Swamp (THB) 252

Sideboard
4 Duress (M19) 94
3 Noxious Grasp (M20) 110
2 Pharika's Libation (THB) 111
2 Epic Downfall (ELD) 85

You can probably cut down on the removal in the board, to fit in some copies of Soul-Guide Lantern. I'm also still not convinced that this deck has any game against Lukka Fires, which seems very bad for this deck. It could also use another swamp. you really want to hit your first 4 land drops on curve for Lurrus + ghostform on t4. Most, if not all non-agent decks, can't beat that, if you have something interactive in the yard when he comes down.

I am extremely medium on the Fiend Artisans, without something like the cat-oven package, or even 4x whisper squad to fill up the yard. Most of my wins are by grinding the poo poo out of the opponent with recurring value via lurrus and enchantment removal, and I'm struggling to see what the Fiend Artisans do for me. If the game goes late, the game plan is still recur lurrus with order of midnight and start grinding again. There aren't enough toolbox creatures in the deck (or in standard that also fit under lurrus, so I'm a bit at a loss to see how effective the artisans are. Maybe I'm just bad.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
The Festival event was a concede party - people were just conceding right and left and mulliganing to 0 cards...

What's going on?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Historic is a sick format. It feels like decks are just made with mad libs. I’m on Obosh Ponza right now. Umori Artifacts? Nexus Field? Ulamog Maze’s End? gently caress it, why not?

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Drewjitsu posted:

I'm also still not convinced that this deck has any game against Lukka Fires, which seems very bad for this deck.

I mulligan for Fenlurker and Burglar Rat if I see Yorion on the board, I've had concessions from forcing them into a topdeck situation.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

This deck loving owns. Jesus.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Drewjitsu posted:

I am extremely medium on the Fiend Artisans, without something like the cat-oven package, or even 4x whisper squad to fill up the yard. Most of my wins are by grinding the poo poo out of the opponent with recurring value via lurrus and enchantment removal, and I'm struggling to see what the Fiend Artisans do for me. If the game goes late, the game plan is still recur lurrus with order of midnight and start grinding again. There aren't enough toolbox creatures in the deck (or in standard that also fit under lurrus, so I'm a bit at a loss to see how effective the artisans are. Maybe I'm just bad.

the most common Fiend Artisan targets for me is grabbing the Miser Tymaret. Against Lukka Fires, i aggresively tutor my dudes into fenlurkers to eat their hand and keep the yard clear for Elspeth Conquers death. I am also grinding the matches out very long and my fiends are frequently 5/5s-7/7s

I also played like 5 different Historic Artisan decks and Famished Paladin combo seemed head and shoulders above the rest: https://mtgazone.com/deck/all-in-paladin-wand-combo-historic-artisan/

You just have so much recursion and redundancy and all your tutors chump the big creatures forever and blessings and spell pierce to keep you safe, I just felt totally untoucable in every game.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 23:45 on May 23, 2020

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

the most common Fiend Artisan targets for me are Order of Midnight to recur Luurus or Priest again, or grabbing the Miser Tymaret. Against Lukka Fires, i aggresively tutor my dudes into fenlurkers to eat their hand and keep the yard clear for Elspeth Conquers death. I am also grinding the matches out very long and my fiends are frequently 5/5s-7/7s

I also played like 5 different Historic Artisan decks and Famished Paladin combo seemed head and shoulders above the rest: https://mtgazone.com/deck/all-in-paladin-wand-combo-historic-artisan/

You just have so much recursion and redundancy and all your tutors chump the big creatures forever and blessings and spell pierce to keep you safe, I just felt totally untoucable in every game.

How does that work again? The creature goes onto the battlefield, not into your hand. I do appreciate that you're going to get fenlurkers to eat there hand or for the singleton Tymaret. In fact, I just won a game against lukka fires (where he didn't have his companion in g1 :haw:) by emptying their board of good targets when ECD hit the table. I think the opponent punted in G1 by stealing my castles and not lurrus to shut down the recursion. G2 wasn't even close, as they kept a land heavy starter and got picked apart by rats and fenlurkers.

I think the game is winnable if you can get them into a topdeck situation, but they have so many haymakers that it is still a very rough matchup.

Current list:

Companion

Deck
3 Dead Weight (GRN) 67
4 Hateful Eidolon (THB) 101
4 Kaya's Ghostform (WAR) 94
4 Knight of the Ebon Legion (M20) 105
4 Order of Midnight (ELD) 99
4 Burglar Rat (GRN) 64
3 Mire's Grasp (THB) 106
4 Priest of Forgotten Gods (RNA) 83
4 Yarok's Fenlurker (M20) 123
4 Castle Locthwain (ELD) 241
3 Fiend Artisan (IKO) 220
18 Swamp (THB) 252

Sideboard
3 Soul-Guide Lantern (THB) 237
4 Duress (M19) 94
3 Pharika's Libation (THB) 111
2 Epic Downfall (ELD) 85

I wonder if Stonecoil serpent is good in this deck - protection from Clarion, Yorion, and Teferi has to count for something, right? and it's not a dead draw late in the game either.

Also, note to self, never board out all copies of a creature in the deck, there might be an edge case late in the game where your artisans can fish it up for blowouts (I sided out all of the Eidolon's in G2 against fires, and it would have been nice to get a draw engine going, although it didn't really matter in that game).

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast

SalTheBard posted:

This deck loving owns. Jesus.
You should also check out the mono-white version with the Alseid lock, if you haven't seen it:

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/mono-w-lurrus#paper

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Bust Rodd posted:

the most common Fiend Artisan targets for me are Order of Midnight to recur Luurus or Priest again, or grabbing the Miser Tymaret. Against Lukka Fires, i aggresively tutor my dudes into fenlurkers to eat their hand and keep the yard clear for Elspeth Conquers death. I am also grinding the matches out very long and my fiends are frequently 5/5s-7/7s

you must be much better at magic than me because i'm like 1-9 with this deck lol

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I've been playing with the Mono-B Lurrus deck and slapping a Kaya's Ghostform on a Burglar Rat feels like such a Timmy move but then you do it and sac it and rez it multiple times causing an opponent to discard their whole hand and it feels so Good.

My only problem right now is I'm tilted because it feels like I haven't gotten to go first in 15 straight games. I know its RNG, I know there isn't a secret man trying to screw me over behind the Arena app, but its very very frustrating.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
^^^^^^

This but with Yarok Fenlurker since it's exile instead of discard

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah sorry I was wrong about Order of Midnight, I meant Priest of Forgotten Gods because Order sounds like a cleric to me.

Somberbrero posted:

you must be much better at magic than me because i'm like 1-9 with this deck lol

Don't be afraid to mulligan into a more aggresive opening. Going to 5 is ok is you can shred their hand, because then it's easier to protect lurrus and get your engine's going.

Oh yeah that's the other one, Fiend Artisan is 4 more copies of hateful eidolon, a superb draw engine with your removal or ghost form.

I love this deck because it's all cheap durdly things that all interact with each other in cute little ways that bleed your opponent to death. by far my favorite mono-b deck, and I'm shocked its one without Gary

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Sedisp posted:

Game one of my return to Simic Nexus. Opponent sees green blue and concedes. Second match my opponent stays and rage ropes when Nexus goes off.

Evil has never felt so good.
post your nexus deck

everyone post their nexus decks, i must feed on souls

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Yeah it's nuts when you start getting a Lurrus / Rat (or Fenlurker) / Priest combo going. The fact that Lurrus triggers when he comes back into the battlefield off of Ghostform is fun.

Minus1Minus1
Apr 26, 2004

Azula always lies

SalTheBard posted:

Yeah it's nuts when you start getting a Lurrus / Rat (or Fenlurker) / Priest combo going. The fact that Lurrus triggers when he comes back into the battlefield off of Ghostform is fun.

The deck is really wild if you get it up and running. I’m missing some of the parts and ended up jamming serrated scorpions into the gaps. How fun to sacrifice and recur those little guys.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Minus1Minus1 posted:

The deck is really wild if you get it up and running. I’m missing some of the parts and ended up jamming serrated scorpions into the gaps. How fun to sacrifice and recur those little guys.

Oh my God. Thats a great idea.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Minus1Minus1 posted:

What did you cut to fit those in?

I've being running one more Tyramet over Priest, which is probably a mistake but it feels great to dumpster other lurrus decks.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Big McHuge posted:

I think I drafted a pretty decent Lutri deck here, but I need to figure out two more cuts. I wanted to try and shoehorn in the ultimatum, but I just don't see that happening with so little fixing.

I cut raptor and connection and am now a certified Diamond player.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I’m on Obosh Ponza right now.

You can't just say this and not post a list.

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

I tried playing that Obosh Gruul deck and went 0-5. Then I switched to an Esper Hero deck with General Kudro and managed to do 5-2 or something so far. Deck has been fun but I haven’t run into the buzzsaw of FoD yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

cams posted:

post your nexus deck

everyone post their nexus decks, i must feed on souls

been using the deck fadam posted. Still in process of loving with it.