Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I don't think the Enterprise really counts in the sense you think it does, because it's the flagship of Starfleet. He's practically an Admiral in all but name with the authority he can and has thrown around during TNG at times.

Ever since I learned that a “flagship” is called that because it’s literally flying an admiral’s command flag (implying same admiral is on board), it always irked me just a tiny bit every time they called the Enterprise that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Applewhite posted:

Ever since I learned that a “flagship” is called that because it’s literally flying an admiral’s command flag (implying same admiral is on board), it always irked me just a tiny bit every time they called the Enterprise that.

The term has evolved just a lil bit since the 1800s.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Drone posted:

Wait until they find out about phaser rifles not actually having rifled barrels to spin a bullet.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Drone posted:

And apparently since the present day since that's still what it means when referring to a naval vessel.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Powered Descent posted:

Wait until they find out about phaser rifles not actually having rifled barrels to spin a bullet.

Actually a "phaser rifle" uses a magnetic coil to impart "spin" to the phased plasma so that all the quarks are of the same "flavor" and give the operator a greater degree of control over the beam. :smug:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Applewhite posted:

And apparently since the present day since that's still what it means when referring to a naval vessel.

If we're assuming the US Navy is the benchmark on which Starfleet is based (because it is), "flagship" is not just a funtional title, but also a ceremonial one that refers to the... well, flagship of the fleet. Right now it is the USS Constitution. In Starfleet, the ceremonial flagship is the Enterprise.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Drone posted:

If we're assuming the US Navy is the benchmark on which Starfleet is based (because it is), "flagship" is not just a funtional title, but also a ceremonial one that refers to the... well, flagship of the fleet. Right now it is the USS Constitution. In Starfleet, the ceremonial flagship is the Enterprise.

I’m not happy about it but I’ll concede. I‘ve literally never heard of CONSTITUTION referred to as “the flagship of the Navy” but Wikipedia says it’s so.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

To find some common ground in the nerdargument here, Starfleet would be much more in keeping with the modern understanding of the ceremonial "flagship" if they kept the NX-01 officially commissioned in some spacedock somewhere.

Though actually idk if NX-01 was actually commissioned into the Federation Starfleet, since it was an Earth ship and presumably no longer in service once the Federation was founded. In that case I guess the Conny woulda been it if Kirk hadn't blown the thing up over Genesis.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Communist Walrus posted:

Picard had like a 20-year stint as captain before he got another decade+ on the Enterprise. The only hope anyone has to move up the ladder is for the person above you to die horrifically, because otherwise they're going to be in that position forever.

better than the klingon system of "kill your way to the top." seems like a good way to needlessly lose a whole bunch of experienced men

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Saves on pensions, though.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Explains why Klingons don't have Creole restaurants.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Drone posted:

Though actually idk if NX-01 was actually commissioned into the Federation Starfleet, since it was an Earth ship and presumably no longer in service once the Federation was founded. In that case I guess the Conny woulda been it if Kirk hadn't blown the thing up over Genesis.
According to Memory Alpha it was stated at some point during These Are The Voyages that the ship was decommissioned prior to the UFP existing

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

:siren:Major spoiler alert::siren:

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Drink-Mix Man posted:

:gowron:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Carry On My Klingon Son

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Drink-Mix Man posted:

o_O

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Drink-Mix Man posted:

:yeshaha:

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

McSpanky posted:

Carry On My Klingon Son

This is an honorable post

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Drink-Mix Man posted:

A warrior's ride

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Na na na na Na na na na
Na na na na Na na na na

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

You like that? Wait til you see me ghost-ride the (Ferengi, laser) whip!

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

McSpanky posted:

Carry On My Klingon Son

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

McSpanky posted:

Carry On My Klingon Son

lay your bumpy head to reeeest

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Animal-Mother posted:

lay your bumpy head to reeeest
Don't you stab no more

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

ALEXANDER!
YOU HAVE REACHED THE AGE OF ASCENSION, AND AS IS THE HUMAN TRADITION, I WILL NOW BESTOW TO YOU MY OLD CHARIOT. MAY IT HELP YOU SLAY MANY ENEMIES.

*dad i'm not driving that i'm going to get beat up*

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I don't think the Enterprise really counts in the sense you think it does, because it's the flagship of Starfleet. He's practically an Admiral in all but name with the authority he can and has thrown around during TNG at times.
"Flagship" literally means the ship the admiral is on.

We're, beaten like Worf.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Since Ambassador and Galaxy class ships use phaser strips instead of point defense phaser banks for 360 degree coverage, could they theoretically shoot a giant phaser smoke ring?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Arcsquad12 posted:

Since Ambassador and Galaxy class ships use phaser strips instead of point defense phaser banks for 360 degree coverage, could they theoretically shoot a giant phaser smoke ring?

If not, then they should fix it so they can.

Do we ever see the array fire from more than one point along its length at any given time?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tepVDyAUmc

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Applewhite posted:

Do we ever see the array fire from more than one point along its length at any given time?

Yeah, although not frequently. TBH I wish they used it more often, it's a cool effect that could've been used in e.g. those DS9 CGI spamfests to provide a neat visual contrast to the typical cannon-point fire from other ships.

E: you can see in the SD-HD comparison of "The Arsenal of Freedom" that tracking a constantly moving animation element along a narrow, also-moving point of origin was kinda spotty, probably why they only did it a few times originally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGloMdvDGJM&t=232s

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 00:16 on May 25, 2020

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Goddamn Kryptonians.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Applewhite posted:

"Lieutenant Worf: death blossom."

Teriyaki Hairpiece fucked around with this message at 00:14 on May 25, 2020

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Fuckin Klingons, next time we'll play for creds!

-Hennings

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Applewhite posted:

I just realized you almost certainly meant this sort of thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d734afLFPds&t=16s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d734afLFPds&t=213s

(two different timestamps)

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Pick posted:

data's super heavy?? although since he can inflate to float ehhhh i dunno

He's heavier than his size would suggest but he's only 220lbs. Riker is strong but doesn't need to be inhuman to carry him.

Honestly I'm far more concerned with Data's Nic Cage Face Disease.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

"Lieutenant Worf: death blossom."

“Aye Captain”

(Transmits the goatman to enemy viewscreen)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

alpaca diseases posted:

(Transmits the goatman to enemy viewscreen)
Under most circumstances, this would be unconscionable.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It would be committing an act of utter barbarity.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
"I think it's time for me to become the villain." Sisko says as he readies swap.avi for subspace broadcast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Danaru posted:

"I think it's time for me to become the villain." Sisko says as he readies swap.avi for subspace broadcast
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebATLOZCSjI