Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
edit: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3924567&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post505214777 The Goblin Game begins here.

I'm going to show you this drawing I did but also write a bunch of other stuff before it. This drawing was supposed to be a "quick break" from this larger drawing of the same nature, this one being a little more fast and loose. It ended up becoming just as much work as my other drawing, which I still ain't finished yet. This drawing originally started off as a square format and was basically just enough room for the people around the campfire. At some point I wanted extra room, but then gave myself too much and kept filling it.

For context of the contents of the drawing, it's just a bunch of goblins* and other folks hanging around going about their business near some shops and residential units. The city is Corpses Christy, a kind of mega city-state built on and inside the decaying body of a giant dead thing.

Here's a map of the world for reference, it is outdated and unfinished so don't rely on it for navigation or anything.
http://www.fuckearth.org/images/GOBLINHONEY_MAP_CORE-justCities-SMALL.png

Here's an abstract aerial shot of the place, with buildings kind of standing in for populated settlements and stuff. You can't see it but the butthole is one of the most densely populated places on the planet, it's one of the best places for goblins to live but it's also a center of trade and commerce so lots of good real estate there.

http://www.fuckearth.org/images/CorpsesChristiAerial_copy_crophalf_low.jpg

Okay, now that you're oriented, we can zoom way in on this bit of city.

Copy and paste this link http://www.fuckearth.org/images/poster_inthecityitgetsslippy_progressanim.gif to lookit a gif of this drawing in progress.
https://i.imgur.com/MuiYhhF.mp4

Okay and here's the drawing at a small size and quality. It's really crazy detailed though and if you've got a big screen copy+paste this link and look at this thing up close. There's a lot of needless detail that gets lost when the image is shrank at all.
http://www.fuckearth.org/images/poster_inthecityitgetsslippy_verysmall.png

There's no "Waldo" to find, but I can think of a few little things of note that might serve a similar role to hiding a waldo in an illustration:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1) There's a big wire that runs around the drawing. I drew it one day thinking it was a really cool idea but the people were all getting progressively merged into one layer as I "finished" each character chunk. Anyway, it was a lot of manual work to go and erase it whenever it was overlapped by a figure, so I put it off for so long I forgot where it was actually supposed to start and finish. I believe it is completely contiguous -- but I don't know where it ends.

2) Try to find all of the little lime-guys that escaped from the fruit butcher.

3) Try to identify every figure sporting moon-brand boots.

4) There's a goblin wearing a patterned jumper holding a similarly patterned egg. Try to find all of these eggs hidden in the drawing and tell me how many I hid, please.

5) Identify anyone drawn while I was clearly just hungry and thinking about food.

6) I thought I hid keys in this one, but maybe it was the other one. I can't find any keys, don't look for them.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
copy paste this link if you do wanna see a much largerful version:

http://www.fuckearth.org/images/poster_inthecityitgetsslippy_final_halfsize.jpg

*goblins in this universe have arbitrary physical bodies, they basically look however they want while still made up up gross goblin stuff and guts. they all end up with those spiky kind of pupils, even though they don't actually use eyes to see. (i'd link our wiki for this but apparently only two people can ever see it unless we pay up)

p.s. the way I draw these guys is to just draw em whole and then erase the parts that get clipped. I usually tried to export the finished character out before erasing, so if there's a specific goblin you want to see by itself, I might have it. No promises, no organization here.

p.p.s. thanks for looking at my drawing I hope you like it, please ask me any questions. not for nothing, i usually think of some kind of story or action going on when I'm filling up space with things like this.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jun 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
weird, the images aren't showing up?

biosterous

i wanna know more about the spiral of houses on the left cheek

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

owlhawk911

come chill with me, in byob

this is dope as all hell, op

https://giant.gfycat.com/PlasticAngryHousefly.webm
this sig a mf'n vanisher joint. gobbos by khanstant

FluffieDuckie

Oh yay! I’m glad you shared this with us!

You mentioned you might print this for coloring. Please let us know if you do that.

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

Khanstant

biosterous posted:

i wanna know more about the spiral of houses on the left cheek

it's a spiral of self-replicating suburbia, sprawling all over that cheek and descending into the interior where it continues into the inner-cheek. i don't actually have any good drawings of the interior of Corpses Christy yet. We do have a comic that's technically set on the ocean inside of CC, but not any cities there.

owlhawk911

FluffieDuckie posted:

Oh yay! I’m glad you shared this with us!

You mentioned you might print this for coloring. Please let us know if you do that.

a big ol poster of the whole thing, and a coloring book full of goblin friends

the tree speaks to me

City of Glompton

owlhawk911 posted:

this is dope as all hell, op

:hai:

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

it's neat and I really like it

owlhawk911

i've been looking at the big ol' drawing you drew and i have a question op. where exactly on corpses christy did we zoom in?

alnilam

It's so so good. I like all the context too! Sorry if i missed it but is this world building for a tabletop rpg or something, it's cool as heck

alnilam

"corpses christy" :discourse:

ty manifisto

Khanstant

owlhawk911 posted:

i've been looking at the big ol' drawing you drew and i have a question op. where exactly on corpses christy did we zoom in?

about here, Lower Cheek Flatside

This area is particularly saturated with goblins. CC isn't segregated by any means, but Goblin territory can be hard for other species to live in. CC is a free city, even humans are allowed to live there, but mostly because of lobbying by the Skeletons (two kinds of humans on this world - bone-in humans, which are really just a larval form for Skeleton people -- who are distinct from undead raised skeletons, don't be racist because a living Skeleton will be violently offended by the comparison.)

alnilam posted:

It's so so good. I like all the context too! Sorry if i missed it but is this world building for a tabletop rpg or something, it's cool as heck

TL;DR: It's basically extensively detailed worldbuilding for nothing and everything.

It's all part of this project my best friend and I have been poking at for like 12 years, without actually producing much of anything finished. It's called Goblin Honey and it just started with us shooting the poo poo, talkin' bout Goblins and what to do for our next comic. We do a comic where we take turns every other page and just kind of go stream-of-conscious round-robin style. We talked a ton about what we wanted our goblins to be, it went from the simple first suggestion of "i wanna see a comic just about goblins, eating babies, getting their houses raided by humans, doin goblin poo poo just tryna get by like everyone else" to Goblins with a specific world and history, even mapping out a bit of pre-history of their evolution that no goblins or people on the world know.

It became a thing where whenever one of us would have an idea, weird issue with fantasy concept, or mostly just obtuse joke twists on things that make eachother laugh and then we run with it as canon if we both like it. Over time certain jokes end up becoming kind of staple pieces of lore we work around with later additions. For example, one day I was thinking bout necromancers and souls, and figured in GH the best way to gather souls would be to cut grass, since that's killing lots of plants and little bug guys and no reason why their souls would be worth any more or less than anything else's. From soul-reaping lawnmowers comes a lot of our greater cosmology, how souls work, what's their function, places souls can go after leaving a body, where did the gods go, etc.

My dream is for this to be a worldbuilding...thing... entertaining enough to set anything in. DnD campaign, cartoon, videogame, story, colouring book, student performance-art, etc. My friend and I mostly talk about it in terms of comics we want to make, but we also discuss basically everything else, even were trying to make goblin-shaped honey bottles for a while (research trip report: starting a business that can sell food products is expensive and a lot of work). For a while I was going all-in on the metafiction wiki, but it turns out the wiki software we chose only lets he and I view it unless we pay up tons a month. A few months ago I was making fake videogame screenshots for fake Goblin Honey PC games, for a fake 90s goblin honey videogame review magazine. I spent all this time making these screenshots and started to mock up a fake magazine but never put it all together to finish it... like many things I start. I never even showed anyone, one of the fake games I have 10 progressive screenshots of an adventure game, for a fake "walk -through" I was going to write up for it.

I'm going to post those later on my IG, and here's one I posted last night that's just a one-off fake screenshot.

Goblin lore note: Goblins cannot read but they can all write. As such, interfaces and signs written for or by them tend to be of mixed usefulness to non-gobs.

Corpses Christy note: Most common language of the CC region is Illegal Alien American English. There are redneck Alien Christian Prosperity Missionaries from another dimension who crash landed on our goblin planet "Tejas ," which has a silent and invisible second "s."

Alien note: There's a Weed-Smoking Grim-Reaper Cowboy Alien in a UFO in this drawing. That might be cool to us but it's pretty offensive to Alien Cowboys who live out in the toxic prairies, this guy is known for being a kind of poo poo-stirrer like that.

Khanstant

Goons Are Gifts

honestly?
would

Goons Are Gifts

This is truly amazing

Khanstant
In the big drawing, there's a goblin with a dress made of trash, and one of the trash items is this clock I made. Well, I didn't make the clock, I just put the weird poo poo on it. It is a replica of a canon mass-produced in-universe clock though.

biosterous

all of this rules so hard

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

Khanstant
here's the other fake videogame I developed and took a bit further. I think it's fun to imagine what the hell the steps would be in between each of the progressive shots.
1-6:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CAimd4_HfEC/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
4-12:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CAinMXanpJq/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

thank you to everyone for looking at my stuff, hope its okay i just keep spamming my drawlings here

owlhawk911

Khanstant posted:

here's the other fake videogame I developed and took a bit further. I think it's fun to imagine what the hell the steps would be in between each of the progressive shots.
1-6:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CAimd4_HfEC/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
4-12:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CAinMXanpJq/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

thank you to everyone for looking at my stuff, hope its okay i just keep spamming my drawlings here

actually you're not spamming them enough

i don't have/ain't getting instagram and really want to see these

Khanstant

owlhawk911 posted:

actually you're not spamming them enough

i don't have/ain't getting instagram and really want to see these

alnilam

Please don't stop

FluffieDuckie

quoting everything

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

Finger Prince

Oh God I love all of this. How big is the full sized crowded goblin city picture? How big you figure it could be printed?

Khanstant

Finger Prince posted:

Oh God I love all of this. How big is the full sized crowded goblin city picture? How big you figure it could be printed?

I drew it at 300 DPI 36x24 inches. So at least that large should be good, but my artwork is pretty clean and crisp and I think would hold up to being blown up larger. Photoshop won't even let me output a version of it bigger than 8000 or so pixels wide.

I'll call this place on Tuesday to see if I can get some of these printed out and at what size. If there's really some interest I'd love to mail some of these out. So far only friends, family, and my drug dealers have any hard copies of these. What size would people realistically want anyway, might need to look around for options. The print shop I used before was just because I worked there for a bit, supporting local ends when you hate the business owner, right, because Mike Cooper can eat my farts for all I care.

The other option would be for me to have these screenprinted, which means nice ink and paper but a bit more limited in size available. Actually, yeah... why the hell wouldn't I do it that way. Those would be very good quality and I currently work for a local screen printing company where everyone who works there is a good person. Long term I also want to figure out how to make this into a colouring book along with it's larger sister drawing. in general I think my normal art style lends itself to being coloured, and I lack all the genes that want me to colour stuff digitally. if i could colour this drawing in just three or so colours i could make even better prints i reckon, but im not signing myself up for that just yet with newer ideas in the fire already.

----------------------
there's a big part of me that wants to set up an isometric grid and map out the city block-by-block, and just spend the rest of my life on one mega-mega-mega-meta-drawing of corpses christy. just go all-in, henry darger style but i have an art degree so i can never be an outsider artist and goblins dont have peepees or anything so maybe bad comparison, but u know, hovel full of one contiguous manic mixed media art project.

logistically it would be a fool's errand, in goblin honey canon, structures built* by goblins are larger on the inside than they are on the outside.

*goblins "build" only through taking ruins or dismantling existing structures to cobble together their own janky constructions -- or through molding various bodily secretions and mucuses and whatnot. goblins who built things using both methods at once would be considered exceptional architects but also run the highest risk of creating an interior space of infinite size.

visual content to balance my babbling

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 22:21 on May 23, 2020

Goons Are Gifts

You're incredible

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
:five:'d so hard...

Finger Prince

Khanstant posted:

I drew it at 300 DPI 36x24 inches. So at least that large should be good, but my artwork is pretty clean and crisp and I think would hold up to being blown up larger. Photoshop won't even let me output a version of it bigger than 8000 or so pixels wide.

I'll call this place on Tuesday to see if I can get some of these printed out and at what size. If there's really some interest I'd love to mail some of these out. So far only friends, family, and my drug dealers have any hard copies of these. What size would people realistically want anyway, might need to look around for options. The print shop I used before was just because I worked there for a bit, supporting local ends when you hate the business owner, right, because Mike Cooper can eat my farts for all I care.

The other option would be for me to have these screenprinted, which means nice ink and paper but a bit more limited in size available. Actually, yeah... why the hell wouldn't I do it that way. Those would be very good quality and I currently work for a local screen printing company where everyone who works there is a good person. Long term I also want to figure out how to make this into a colouring book along with it's larger sister drawing. in general I think my normal art style lends itself to being coloured, and I lack all the genes that want me to colour stuff digitally. if i could colour this drawing in just three or so colours i could make even better prints i reckon, but im not signing myself up for that just yet with newer ideas in the fire already.

----------------------
there's a big part of me that wants to set up an isometric grid and map out the city block-by-block, and just spend the rest of my life on one mega-mega-mega-meta-drawing of corpses christy. just go all-in, henry darger style but i have an art degree so i can never be an outsider artist and goblins dont have peepees or anything so maybe bad comparison, but u know, hovel full of one contiguous manic mixed media art project.

logistically it would be a fool's errand, in goblin honey canon, structures built* by goblins are larger on the inside than they are on the outside.

*goblins "build" only through taking ruins or dismantling existing structures to cobble together their own janky constructions -- or through molding various bodily secretions and mucuses and whatnot. goblins who built things using both methods at once would be considered exceptional architects but also run the highest risk of creating an interior space of infinite size.

Hypothetically it would be awesome if it could be screen printed onto like a 70"x70" shower curtain so I could get lost in the marvels of Corpses Christy until my skin got all wrinkly and started sloughing off.
But failing that yeah I would absolutely get a poster sized one.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 23:14 on May 23, 2020

Plant MONSTER.

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
This is really really really really good stuff and inspires me to make more stuff too :0

Khanstant
shower curtains would be dope, if you can figure out how to print such a thing for yourself you have my blessing lol. I think the other big drawing (the one in the OP is technically higher def, but much smaller in scope than the unfinished drawing it was a "break" from). The weird Autumn Satyr thing and Balloon-head Centaur are figures from the older drawing I haven't posted anywhere since it ain't done yet.

Here's a drawing I just finished, thinkin' bout colouring it real quick. been into drawing these ornate borders. in one of the maps in the OP, you may have noticed a weird key to the left that has a bunch of forest types. Tejas has a ton of different trees, ranging from merely sentient forests, to underground cavern trees, a sentient mutant douglas fir called Douglas that once comprised 90% of all lifeform on the planet, and predictably, mechanical forests with biometallic plants that spew all organic pollution critical to their ecosystems.

Anyway, this is just a goblin working with a machine. not a big deal, right? well, this is kind of "rosie the riveter" for goblins. goblins don't really have any sex or gender and aren't naturally prone to bigotry, nor whatever you call prejudice against undead, demons, or living inanimate objects. they'll gently caress, eat, befriend, ally, betray, love pretty indiscriminately, really, to a fault. like, they'd love the absence of material between two tectonic plates* but, they are incredibly stupid and collectively get carried away with new ideas all the time. It's a mostly self-correcting system, at least for goblinkind overall, but other species, particularly humans, should be careful when sharing their ideas around goblins. One day some human says some racist joke and a week later goblins are all really into racism against spaghettigoblins or whatever and then its a bunch of race war until some goblin overhears about human rights and suddenly it's all "we gotta free the mayogoblins from the burgermines and turn them into humans so we can all have their rights" etc etc

*no tectonic plates on "Tejas ," but some goblins could be familiar with them from media smuggled in from worm-buttholes into other dimensions.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 23:42 on May 23, 2020

Khanstant
okay just in case it wasn't clear by the name "burgermines" here's a recent picture of a goblin working in a burgermine. it's not a mayogoblin or forced-labor though. what race of goblin is this? i asked by they left it "unspecified"

thats the goblin's sack lunch, but it's a sunrotted fish sandwich don't worry it's not eating fresh burg

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 23:52 on May 23, 2020

owlhawk911

i critically fail to resist pizza

Khanstant posted:

----------------------

as a filthy poor i think you should sneak into an office and see how many 8.5x11" colouring book pages you can get made before their laser printer runs out of toner or someone yells at you. laser printers are nice and sharp if weirdly glossy, and they're fast as heck for b&w. print all your goblins out, staple together bundles of like 20, bam. sell em in my disturbingly low price range or give em away to hip underground influencers like me to build hype. you want outsider, all you got to do is step outside. you a real one, i can smell it in your goblin world

f*ck mike cooper anyways. get some screenprinted all nice too though so the bourgeoisie can buy in once you're "cool", and get your website up. if you're after bucks t-shirts would be huge, that slippy city is full of good ones (citrus dude snoozin under bridge. grim reaper alien cowboy. the sign for fruit butchers shop. way too many to point out) and i am 100% sure you've got more on deck. i will rep you so hard. i've already shown a couple friends your poo poo and everyone loves it

Khanstant
so i work as a graphic designer for a screenprinting company and i was trying to geta weed-smoking alien cowboy ufo done for a live event shirt, but wasn't able to get it down in time. Did manage to get a normal grim reaper design tho: https://www.instagram.com/p/B4FkoveH3GT/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

i'm really happy to get all this positive reinforcement. i generally just post to instagram and i have a support group of people but i generally get the same amount of likes whether i post something that took me hundreds of hours or 20 minutes so it's hard to gauge how good it is. also have troubles reaching new people on IG, i'm just generally bad about displaying my work and always have been. hell, someone snagged my own name from me for my art website years ago. i do still own and control fuckearth.org which is fine as a personal art site if I ever get around to it.

the guy I do goblin honey with has an account here I think, used to anyway. we're like 80-90% done with an actual Goblin Honey comic, start-to-finish. I've actually been hesitant to finish it lately because I've been all self conscious about it but worst case scenario it'll be like 24 pages of cool drawings by he and I. cool to know some people would probably be interested who aren't people who have some kind of obligation to be nice to me

turned this thread into my goblin honey art blog, i'd apologize but i have goblins in my heart and they must scream

you're all goblin enablers i hope you know that

edit: saw the marge quest thread drawn in ms paint and remembered this ms paint drawing i did of different licensed characters (and a few goblins) when i worked at netflix and knew the trick to opening ms paint secretly

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 01:05 on May 24, 2020

Stoner Sloth

this all amazing!

thank you so much for sharing with us Khanstant

sigs by the awesome Manifisto, Vanisher, City of Glompton, Pot Smoke Phoenix, Nut, Heather Papps,Prof Crocodile, knuthgrush, Ohtori Akio, Teapot, Saosyhant, Dumb Sex Parrot, w4ddl3d33, and nesamdoom!! - ty friends!

owlhawk911

Khanstant posted:

turned this thread into my goblin honey art blog, i'd apologize but i have goblins in my heart and they must scream

you're all goblin enablers i hope you know that

don't apologize just keep posting. preferably inline/from your site cause instagram is against my religion and i want to see the goblins

nut

uh yeah this loving owns

Plant MONSTER.

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
I fould Milhousakira!

Khanstant

owlhawk911 posted:

don't apologize just keep posting. preferably inline/from your site cause instagram is against my religion and i want to see the goblins

this bell cannot be unrung, my partner has seen the thread and goblin honey will pour like the sky like blood from the sky

imagine a popsicle, ok now you ate it and it's just the stick. the stick says "what do u call a chill posting goblin?"

the other side of the stick says: Byobgoblin

nut

this is intensely good poo poo op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
here's a clip of the bigger drawing the OP drawing was my break from

https://i.imgur.com/cxVLApX.png
for unshrunkified version

is there some kind of program or something i can use to turn this into like an a Mario Paint thing where you can click around online and colour in peices?

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 02:57 on May 24, 2020