Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Release the Lord and Miller cut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

I have no beard, and I must scream
Give me the god drat key grip's cut!

tervamaha
May 31, 2011

Hackers film 1995 posted:

jesus loving christ i cant believe you exist. this better be a troll
I'm not a troll, I really do enjoy that film. The friend I saw it with loved it even more and he's a big fan of music videos so I think that's a big part of the appeal. It's like Music Video The Movie.

Frankly I've always been bemused by the fact so few people share my feelings about the film. Usually in situations like this I understand why other people hate the movie I love, but I really don't see what's so bad about Sucker Punch.

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I want Christopher Nolan to make Neuromancer.

tervamaha
May 31, 2011

that post deserves all the derision we are giving it (troll or not) but seriously. sucker punch is one the most insulting and disgusting (in every way you can think of) films of the last decade

edit

if the ludovico technique were real, that is the only film they would show

Like this for example. I genuinely have no clue what you're talking about when you say Sucker Punch is insulting and disgusting.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

There's a part of me that's jealous of people that like movies like Suicide Squad and Justice League because it's gotta rule not noticing poor filmmaking so you can enjoy everything.

luchajones
Jan 28, 2018

I have no beard, and I must scream

tervamaha posted:

Like this for example. I genuinely have no clue what you're talking about when you say Sucker Punch is insulting and disgusting.

from wiki:
"It is Snyder's first film based on an original concept."

edit:

"Legendary Pictures reportedly attributed the movie's failure to become a box office hit as being due to movie audiences not accepting a female action hero.[82]"

ahahahahahahahahahahahaha

luchajones fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 23, 2020

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
#releasethetrevorrowcut

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Butt hole cut!!

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
is it me or does 2011 seem way too late to have been sucker punch's release date?

that movie is a resident evil sequel that happened to have been made between when sin city and 300 invented the digital morass, sky-captain-with-titties action subgenre, and when the spirit killed it
that's 2005, 2008 at the latest

how did it come out the same year as the king's speech, which feels like it came out yesterday?

this is like when I found out the halle berry catwoman movie came out in 2004
it's just slightly too late for the flavor of rear end that it tastes like
it stumbled in, pants around its ankles, thumb up its butt, 7 years late to its own party

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah I was sure it was pre 2010

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

what are you people saying i can’t read anymore

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

tervamaha posted:

insulting to my intelligence. it is like a dumb kid i went to high school with in the early 2000s wrote down a big list of “so loving cool” things and then a middle aged man agreed they were cool. then that man put them all into the same film using a framing structure of sexual assault and abuse against women that is disgustingly supposed to be empowering to women at the same time. it is disgusting in other ways (ugly and dour to look at) but thats the best i could do without thinking more about a film that should have been dismissed and forgotten the day it came out

edit

you av is good and i would rather watch every neil breen film in a row than watch sucker punch once more. its possible to enjoy breen on some sort of level at least

Hackers film 1995 fucked around with this message at 19:33 on May 23, 2020

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

eric ciaramella posted:

hell yea

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Cowcaster posted:

what are you people saying i can’t read anymore

gently caress Movies

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Cubone posted:

is it me or does 2011 seem way too late to have been sucker punch's release date?

that movie is a resident evil sequel that happened to have been made between when sin city and 300 invented the digital morass, sky-captain-with-titties action subgenre, and when the spirit killed it

how did it come out the same year as the king's speech, which feels like it came out yesterday?

it stumbled in, pants around its ankles, thumb up its butt, 7 years late to its own party

Thanks Obama

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Giga Gaia posted:

gently caress Movies

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I mean the cut and everything will still be garbage, the movie was rotten to the core and jared leto's joker is off-putting

BUT

something really weird went on with that movie and I (as someone who saw suicide squad in theatres when it opened and didn't care for it at all) would be interested in seeing what the heck the original vision of that movie and that joker was.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Cubone posted:

I definitely thought it was released in like 2007 or earlier. that review someone posted with the critic ranting about it really surprised me when they name dropped inception of all things.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
so i guess hollywood is just giving everyone and their mother a chance to fix their box office flops in hopes of wringing blood from stones huh

tervamaha
May 31, 2011

insulting to my intelligence. it is like a dumb kid i went to high school with in the early 2000s wrote down a big list of “so loving cool” things and then a middle aged man agreed they were cool. then that man put them all into the same film using a framing structure of sexual assault and abuse against women that is disgustingly supposed to be empowering to women at the same time. it is disgusting in other ways (ugly and dour to look at) but thats the best i could do without thinking more about a film that should have been dismissed and forgotten the day it came out
OK, I see where you're coming from and while I don't agree with your points, I won't go on about Sucker Punch anymore. The topic seems to make people angry.

However, this discussion has reminded me about another almost forgotten movie: Tarsem Singh's 2011 film Immortals.

Immortals seemed to leave most people lukewarm and I think it didn't get much praise from critics either, but it's one of my favorite films. It isn't necessarily exciting or even interesting story-wise, but I love it as a piece of audio-visual art (however pretentious that might sound). While watching it I get this weird feeling like I'm walking through an art gallery (every frame a painting as it were). As such it isn't a conventional movie experience but I enjoy it for its uniqueness.

I'm curious: how do you Sucker Punch haters feel about Immortals? I'm not saying that they're very similar films, but in my mind they've always been these two style-over-substance movies that I love but other people hate or are indifferent towards.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

eric ciaramella posted:

star wars doesn't deserve them

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

tervamaha posted:

OK, I see where you're coming from and while I don't agree with your points, I won't go on about Sucker Punch anymore. The topic seems to make people angry.

However, this discussion has reminded me about another almost forgotten movie: Tarsem Singh's 2011 film Immortals.

Immortals seemed to leave most people lukewarm and I think it didn't get much praise from critics either, but it's one of my favorite films. It isn't necessarily exciting or even interesting story-wise, but I love it as a piece of audio-visual art (however pretentious that might sound). While watching it I get this weird feeling like I'm walking through an art gallery (every frame a painting as it were). As such it isn't a conventional movie experience but I enjoy it for its uniqueness.

I'm curious: how do you Sucker Punch haters feel about Immortals? I'm not saying that they're very similar films, but in my mind they've always been these two style-over-substance movies that I love but other people hate or are indifferent towards.

Immortals just kind of blended in with the Clash of the Titans remake and its sequel in my mind, so I never gave a gently caress about it.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

tervamaha posted:

lol i cant speak for everyone, but i was only “internet angry” which means i wasnt actually angry. more incredulous that someone would admit that they liked sucker punch in 2020 ;)

i never saw immortals but i liked the cell and the fall because singh has visually interesting films. they truly are like little paintings. but it is crazy to compare a director with those kind of visual chops to zach snyder imo

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

stephenthinkpad posted:

I just want to post this sucker punch review because this was from the time that the professional movie reviewers from press still tried to make polish, professionally produced review videos before they all lost out to the iphone-shot, talking-head youtubers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DygDPQdiklw

this is the greatest movie review of all time and absolutely to stick around to the end

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

I've never seen Sucker Punch, because it looks poo poo. I saw Immortals when it was in theaters and honestly don't remember anything about it. The titans? were imprisoned in a big black cube?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

tervamaha posted:

don't let these slobs bring you down, if you like a movie, post about it. we all have garbage opinions anyway, might as well have them together.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
The plot twist was the real sucker punch from the movie huhuh.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

mallratcal posted:

I've never seen Sucker Punch, because it looks poo poo. I saw Immortals when it was in theaters and honestly don't remember anything about it. The titans? were imprisoned in a big black cube?

Immortals was soooo weird because the director made one of my favourite films ever, The Fall, and Immortals was just absolutely bizarre. Marketed as like, a 300 type film. So weird

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

so i guess hollywood is just giving everyone and their mother a chance to fix their box office flops in hopes of wringing blood from stones huh
I don't think the skwad recut is actually happening, it looks like a small fan campaign
for the time being

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Not a chance Ayer gets to recut that film

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

Norton the First posted:

I want Christopher Nolan to make Neuromancer.

I agree, a Neuromancer movie would be cool af, maybe if not Nolan than Villeneuve he'll dunc on it

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Johnny Mnemonic is the true neuromancer film

tervamaha
May 31, 2011

lol i cant speak for everyone, but i was only “internet angry” which means i wasnt actually angry. more incredulous that someone would admit that they liked sucker punch in 2020 ;)

i never saw immortals but i liked the cell and the fall because singh has visually interesting films. they truly are like little paintings. but it is crazy to compare a director with those kind of visual chops to zach snyder imo

Sorry for serious posting, but I tried to adapt a very careful posting style because I was being the punching bag of the thread.

Zach Snyder is certainly no Tarsem but I still do enjoy most his movies mostly from the visual stand point. Just for shits and giggles, here's my official ranking of his films:

1. 300
2. Watchmen
3. Sucker Punch
4. Dawn of the Dead
5. Man of Steel
6. Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole
7. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
8. Justice League

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I want the freakin’ Rian Johnson cut of The Last Jedi!! F-U Kathleen Kennedy!!!!

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Immortals was soooo weird because the director made one of my favourite films ever, The Fall, and Immortals was just absolutely bizarre. Marketed as like, a 300 type film. So weird

I definitely remember thinking it was going to be like Clash when I went to see it. Clash with 300 style action.

I had to watch a trailer just now as I didn't even recall Mickey Rourke was in it, (looks like it had a fairly decent cast.) I think I remember he cooked some dude in a brazen bull.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

I love it, but it really shows its age.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Groovelord Neato posted:

There's a part of me that's jealous of people that like movies like Suicide Squad and Justice League because it's gotta rule not noticing poor filmmaking so you can enjoy everything.

I too miss the time when I wasn't completely cynical about everything I see, and was actually able to mindlessly enjoy movies for the sake of entertainment.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

i love that dumb goddamn movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

TEN3T looks like pure distilled Christopher Nolan. I might want to watch it ten years ago but I'm kind of tired of his schtick by now