Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Can bamboo grow in sand?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fistful of Silence
Aug 22, 2003

Science fiction writers, I am sorry to say, really do not know anything. We can't talk about science, because our knowledge of it is limited and unofficial, and usually our fiction is dreadful.

Grimey Drawer
I understand having light in the game show from the point of view of the camera (it wouldn’t make any sense otherwise), but I think sound should be different and should be heard from the point of view of your character. Otherwise you get the odd situation where, because of this, I have to put my stereo facing directly into the wall next to my front door so I can hear the song clearly when I walk in, because 99% of the time my camera is going to be in the default position. Not a huge thing but it’s annoying to have my stereo look stupid and be hard to change songs on because of this.

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Take your Thralls and dive back into the depths! Give us the meat and GO!
Grimey Drawer

Cage posted:

The cherry blossom trees are so pretty. I started playing after the event, but if Im reading right the regular trees turn into cherry blossom trees from April 1-10 and then go back to not existing? Theres no way to plant a pedal and grow a tree?

edit: ya no one has to answer this I just wanna bitch :mad:

A cherry blossom tree would have been a great DIY recipe for the event.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

precision posted:

I'm incredibly dumb lol thanks

Pft it's fine, enjoy your wonderful world of decorating :v:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

edit: Closed! Thanks for comin'!

Policenaut fucked around with this message at 19:32 on May 23, 2020

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Also this happened last night when I was visiting an island...

https://twitter.com/Kaiju_Sommelier/status/1264055707113893890?s=20

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Poque started wearing an outfit with zori today, so all I'm hearing from the TV is CLOMP CLOMP CLOMP CLOMP CLOMP

PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mdemone posted:

Nope I got em all over during the day. But they don't bite! Do they only take the bait at night?

you must be mixing up something because this is just not how the game works. turtles are fishes so you cant see them, just the usual shadows. they only appear at night. all fishes bite. im assuming youre the only one on your island so no one can place them. and also nothing patched about them.
what i do believe you mightve seen is a diving beetle. they looks slightly like them , are on water and appear during the day. also theyre bugs so they cant be fished

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Also this happened last night when I was visiting an island...

https://twitter.com/Kaiju_Sommelier/status/1264055707113893890?s=20

AND I GOT TOLD TO STFU when he did literally the same thing to me AND stopped me getting a star! t:mad:

Dom is the devil.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Chicken Doodle posted:

AND I GOT TOLD TO STFU when he did literally the same thing to me AND stopped me getting a star! t:mad:

Dom is the devil.

He must be destroyed.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

PotU posted:

you must be mixing up something because this is just not how the game works. turtles are fishes so you cant see them, just the usual shadows. they only appear at night. all fishes bite. im assuming youre the only one on your island so no one can place them. and also nothing patched about them.
what i do believe you mightve seen is a diving beetle. they looks slightly like them , are on water and appear during the day. also theyre bugs so they cant be fished

This was also my guess, but them getting trolled by placed snapping turtles is way funnier to imagine.

Geemer posted:

Do you get a weather checking bonus like in Deadly Premonition?

Man, I wish. I also want a swarm of flies that follows me around when I forget to clean my shirts.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

bushisms.txt posted:

Wait, so now you're upset villagers are engaging in your obvious voyeur kink?

Or do you just wanna make them watch?

That's very clearly a sittin' toilet, not a poopin' toilet.

TwoSheds
Sep 12, 2007

Bringer of sugary treats!
Soxingtown is open for a cataloging party! I have furniture scattered on the terra cotta tiles on front of the airport. Fossils and music are free to take. You can take furniture, as well, but only if you intend to use it, not flip it for cash.

If you stop by, I'd ask that you please water the numbered plots North of my residents' houses. There are six in all.

I'll be AFK, so please enjoy yourselves!

Dodo code: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3923566&pagenumber=2#lastpost

Sorry, looks like my sister crashed the island by mistake. Will open back up tomorrow.

TwoSheds fucked around with this message at 21:44 on May 23, 2020

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat
So I just time traveled to take care of stuff, and it got me wondering. It seems like everything ‘resets’ when you go back to—for lack of a better word, today—like you have new fossils to dig up, you can give things to your villagers again, Nook’s selling different things now—but is there anything that doesn’t?

E-flat fucked around with this message at 19:45 on May 23, 2020

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Poque started wearing an outfit with zori today, so all I'm hearing from the TV is CLOMP CLOMP CLOMP CLOMP CLOMP

it's unbelievably loud and I'm never removing them

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
So according to folks on twitter, Nintendo removed the hybrid flower islands, and one of the rare big fish islands. Not made them more rare, but outright removed them.

But I still can't craft multiple things at once or whatever

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
And I still have to manually take crafting materials out of storage like a peasant

Seriously if they don't patch that I will go bonkers

Fistful of Silence
Aug 22, 2003

Science fiction writers, I am sorry to say, really do not know anything. We can't talk about science, because our knowledge of it is limited and unofficial, and usually our fiction is dreadful.

Grimey Drawer

PotU posted:

all fishes bite.
To be fair, this is true 99% of the time, but not all the time. Once I was on someone’s island fishing, and I’d put my lure right in front of ocean fish sometimes and they wouldn’t bite, just slowly keep drifting out to sea for a while. I’ve only ever seen that once (and I presume it was because the game wasn’t updating its state due to bad internet) but it did happen.

Fistful of Silence fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 23, 2020

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Or just have basic materials not take inventory space. Let me carry 99 of every wood, rock and stone at all times. This would not compromise your artistic vision, Nintendo, I promise

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Macaluso posted:

So according to folks on twitter, Nintendo removed the hybrid flower islands, and one of the rare big fish islands. Not made them more rare, but outright removed them.

But I still can't craft multiple things at once or whatever

I don't get it. Why are they removing content from a game that's already a bit bare-bones in many ways? :confused:

And More fucked around with this message at 19:52 on May 23, 2020

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat
Don’t you need hybrid islands to get green mums?

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
Hans is crafting a gold helmet. Not sure what else is going on but I know folks like gold stuff.

3XHCY

Bandit Hat
Sep 8, 2005
Potatoes are the all-time treat, they are good to chomp and good to eat!
Opening up Kitesqaure! Will be open for at least a couple of hours. Occasionally AFK since I’m also doing some housework.

Sandy is in boxes today, feel free to take her.

Nook’s has a white lecture hall desk, an ant farm, and a rattan bed for sale. Paint set and dish rack are the other items. Turnips are selling for 134 if anyone is antsy about getting some of their bells back before tomorrow!

Able’s has mariachi clothing, ruffled dresses, sushi chef hats, and zori shoes among other things.

Code: Closed now! Thanks for visiting!

Bandit Hat fucked around with this message at 21:43 on May 23, 2020

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Secretly glad there haven't been any interviews with the director or the development team since the game launched because the absolute last thing the community needs right now is trying to blame all the decisions on a single person like they do with poo poo like Pokemon.

(And you just know there's some fuckers out there who will look at the director of the game and unironically start some really stupid and toxic poo poo.)

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

E-flat posted:

Don’t you need hybrid islands to get green mums?

You can grow hybrids

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat

Macaluso posted:

You can grow hybrids

I thought they wouldn’t spawn from purples from seed whites?
E: forgot, they can spawn from hybrid yellows, right...

E-flat fucked around with this message at 20:12 on May 23, 2020

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
The guide that I was following has you getting green mums from yellow mums that were the offspring of a red and a yellow.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

E-flat posted:

I thought they wouldn’t spawn from purples from seed whites?
E: forgot, they can spawn from hybrid yellows, right...
And also the purples that spawn from hybrid yellows!

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat
Fuckin genetics, how does it work? :v:

MussoliniB
Aug 22, 2009

TwoSheds posted:

Soxingtown is open for a cataloging party! I have furniture scattered on the terra cotta tiles on front of the airport. Fossils and music are free to take. You can take furniture, as well, but only if you intend to use it, not flip it for cash.

If you stop by, I'd ask that you please water the numbered plots North of my residents' houses. There are six in all.

I'll be AFK, so please enjoy yourselves!

Dodo code: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3923566&pagenumber=2#lastpost

This has been wonderful. Thank you so much!

Edit: Your plants are watered, thanks again.

MussoliniB fucked around with this message at 20:34 on May 23, 2020

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

bio347 posted:

And also the purples that spawn from hybrid yellows!

I’ve got a purple that just sprouted up in a patch of red and yellows I’ve left to grow and spread on their own,. Would be cool to get a green from it if I can get more.

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat
Hey you like watering flowers? I got flowers. Come water my flowers. Dodo code is —— closed for star watchin’!

Not much is going on. Able’s has ruffled dresses, alpinist dresses, gothic headdresses, mariachi outfits. (Check out my new addition to my japanesey garden area! It’s nothing fantastic but I had so much fun doing it that I might move my orchard so I have more space)

E-flat fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 23, 2020

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
So I've collected my last Fossil... is there any point to digging them up and assessing them other than to get bells? Like is there some other purpose from previous games that I am not aware of that may be unlocked

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

There is a meteor shower in Flounder so opening for a couple of hours. No Celeste. E: Closed

Nook's closed two-sided wall clock, pendulum clock, soup kettle, blue plastic cannister.

If you have unwanted museum plaques I will gladly take them off your hands.

Shallow fucked around with this message at 22:46 on May 23, 2020

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Somehow in the search for a cranky/smug replacement I ended up with another normal because the game threw nothing but normals at me until I started feeling a bit bad. At least now with Goldie i've got a two doggo island.

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

Astro7x posted:

So I've collected my last Fossil... is there any point to digging them up and assessing them other than to get bells? Like is there some other purpose from previous games that I am not aware of that may be unlocked

I used some spares to put my favourite dinosaurs on my island. Other than that, no, not really.

Fistful of Silence
Aug 22, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Chicken Doodle posted:

I used some spares to put my favourite dinosaurs on my island. Other than that, no, not really.
There’s a Nook Miles achievement for assessing 500 I guess. Not much but a little something.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

PotU posted:

Yep you were right. drat things look like little swimming turtles.

And I caught one, hooray!

Spindle
Feb 12, 2008

Baby, we're rich
Tip for collecting the Labelle set:
The clothing item that appears at Ables the next day comes from the last player who won her minigame, so if she gives a duplicate, you can try again with another profile. (Or gently caress it up and get socks twice.)

Reliable Daily Villager DIYs for single player or a main picking up DIY:
1 per villager, 3 maximum each day, available for 3 hours (exactly). The crafting block will start when you accept the DIY, and continues to count down if you close the game, so you can check in just for the DIY and then close again. If you leave the game open, you may need to enter a different building to refresh.
You can miss the third DIY if you wait too long to start, because some villagers go to bed early. This makes me think the game rolls the DIY villagers at the beginning of the day, but it seems to have a slightly higher chance of being the second house you visit.
I haven't tested this with Time Travel, but have seen reports of bugginess that is otherwise pretty rare.

If you have multiple players / mule accounts trying to pick up DIY (or even just entering the DIY house), the timed blocks become inconsistent- often longer, but not reliably. I'm not sure if this is the game trying to give second players a timer extension, or just generally buggy...sometimes the same villager will be able to DIY twice, or the villager gets stuck until you give them a gift (if you have that option). These longer time blocks can gently caress you out of the third DIY.
I haven't tested any of this with online, but I assume it would be just as wonky, if not worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Fistful of Silence posted:

There’s a Nook Miles achievement for assessing 500 I guess. Not much but a little something.

That's the tip was looking for... thanks!