Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I don’t think it was Art Bell himself as much as there was a massive shift in who was involved with even the fun conspiracy theory stuff like UFOs/Majestic 12/Project Blue Book stuff. I used to love reading that kind of thing but haven’t bothered in like ten years.

That’s fair, maybe I’m reading too much into it. I know there’s always been a conservative bend with conspiracy theories, but for a brief period in the 90s it was actually kinda fun again. I keep forgetting it’s gotten ultra right-wing again in the last decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
How old were you in the 90s?

I used to think that 9/11 shifted the conspiracy world into a more toxic and conservative direction, but the more I delve into the older stuff the more I realize it's always pretty much been the same. What changed is me—that I was a kid and enjoyed the stuff that was coming out at the time while being ignorant of the politics behind it. My worldview just happened to open up around the same time and I stopped being so ignorant about the context.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Yeah, I remember in the 90s when I started to get into it, how a LOT of the UFO conspiracy people were also promoting stuff like the Clinton Body Count and UN Black Helicopter Takeover conspiracies that even for the time were undeniably on the right. There's a lot of scholarship too on how the very basic UFO conspiracy culture is very much predicated on anti-government, anti-immigration, racial mixing fears.

I feel like I remember Alex Jones starting to his national rise in the 90s by being a regular guest on Coast to Coast also, but maybe I'm misremembering.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

feedmyleg posted:

How old were you in the 90s?

I used to think that 9/11 shifted the conspiracy world into a more toxic and conservative direction, but the more I delve into the older stuff the more I realize it's always pretty much been the same. What changed is me—that I was a kid and enjoyed the stuff that was coming out at the time while being ignorant of the politics behind it. My worldview just happened to open up around the same time and I stopped being so ignorant about the context.

You used to be able to avoid a lot of the right wing stuff if you picked the right places, C2C being one of them. Yeah, a lot of the people involved were at best libertarians and that informed it, but if you went to people’s personal pages for certain topics (if you saw mention of FEMA camps, Waco, or black helicopters it was time to bail) and avoided forums altogether most of the time, you could get good stuff. Good fuckin’ luck with that now. I probably missed some subtle stuff being as that I was like 16-20 when I read a lot of it but the popular stuff wasn’t as blatantly toxic.

E:i don’t think Jones was a frequent guest until Noory took over in 2003. God Noory was a terrible host.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Oh god. Are today's 12 year olds going to be as nostalgic for Alex Jones as I am for Art Bell at my age :chloe:

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Chairman Capone posted:

Yeah, I remember in the 90s when I started to get into it, how a LOT of the UFO conspiracy people were also promoting stuff like the Clinton Body Count and UN Black Helicopter Takeover conspiracies that even for the time were undeniably on the right. There's a lot of scholarship too on how the very basic UFO conspiracy culture is very much predicated on anti-government, anti-immigration, racial mixing fears.

I feel like I remember Alex Jones starting to his national rise in the 90s by being a regular guest on Coast to Coast also, but maybe I'm misremembering.

How quickly we forget fallen patriots

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think there are at least two different crowds. The 80s and 90s definitely had awful right wing nuts in the conspiracy room, but there were also the extreme liberal Discordian/Subgenius types (that's where I was at)

Like, most of the conspiracy nuts I knew in the 90s were also punk rock and queer

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I was a literal child in the 90s listening to C2C and watching The X-Files (and, later, UFO Files), so yeah, at the time it was just fun UFO stuff and I was oblivious of the political elements until I was older.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
NOS4A2 is... not terrible? Good even? :confused:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

precision posted:

NOS4A2 is... not terrible? Good even? :confused:

It was a bit slow so I haven’t powered through yet but I liked what I saw. The guy who plays Bing is perfect for the role.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's got this weird mix of Stephen King and Tim Burton that's really doing it for me. The title theme is so good

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Have you read the book? It’s extremely excellent. It’s 800 or so pages but I read it in two or three days, legit could not put it down. Once it gets going it’s super fast paced and reminds me of the best of Stephen King. The show is slower paced, which I’m cool with, but drat man that book.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

GreenNight posted:

Here in Madison there is a local grocery store that is basically the liberal slash hippy grocery store. They'd get amazing complaints from people. So much so that a local comedy troop would do puppet shows, saying the complaints verbatim, at a local coffee shop.

Obviously you're talking about Willy Street Co-Op ... trying to think of the coffee shop, though.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Timby posted:

Obviously you're talking about Willy Street Co-Op ... trying to think of the coffee shop, though.

Jenifer Street Market and Mother Fools.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Why did the married with children writers think adding Seven was a good idea

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Not gonna lie, if they animated some Art Bell call-ins and aired it at 2 am I would be incredibly there for it.

Trying to add an extraneous visual element to extant audio content so it can be repackaged for television is something that that gets tried every few years, but I could see it hitting hard this time since animation is like the one type of video production people can do during the quarantine and is supposed to carry some of the slack in the time it takes live action to restart.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Calaveron posted:

I would bet serious money that it was a "studio note" that some exec thought would grab some nebulous demographic or the other.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

swickles posted:

I would bet serious money that it was a "studio note" that some exec thought would grab some nebulous demographic or the other.

Sitcoms love to add a child character when they’re older and running out of steam (cousin Oliver in the Brady bunch comes to mind) and they’re basically all universally hated. I really don’t know if there’s ever been one that didn’t go over like a fart in a car.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Calaveron posted:

Possibly network interference or just the writers trying to come up with new ideas. It was once a common sitcom trend to add new characters to aging series in an attempt to renew interest or just provide for new story possibilities. These new characters are almost always reviled by fans. The Simpsons did an episode called “The Itchy and Scratchy and Poochie Show” that is entirely about this phenomenon.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Today's sitcoms have the opposite problem, where cast members just vanish and the show inexplicably keeps going without them.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Today's sitcoms have the opposite problem, where cast members just vanish and the show inexplicably keeps going without them.

What's the weirdest of these? I never watched the last season of That 70's Show, but didn't Topher Grace bail but the show kept going?

Not a sitcom, but Grey's Anatomy went on for like a million years and may still be going as far as I know. Did the titular Grey leave at some point?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

PostNouveau posted:

What's the weirdest of these? I never watched the last season of That 70's Show, but didn't Topher Grace bail but the show kept going?

Not a sitcom, but Grey's Anatomy went on for like a million years and may still be going as far as I know. Did the titular Grey leave at some point?

Glenn Howerton was going to bail on Always Sunny but opted not to between seasons. They wrote his character out and everything.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

PostNouveau posted:

That's probably the most infamous possible example. He's the goddamn main character of the show and they thought they could just keep going and get us invested in, what, Kelso?

For more modern examples I think The Office is champion for continuing to go after Steve Carell left. Although Community had the gall to keep going after losing like half its central cast which takes some serious chutzpah. It's like if Marge and Lisa just weren't in the Simpsons anymore.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Its not modern, but Family Matters had a young sister walk up the stairs and was never seen or mentioned again. Community lost a lot of cast, but everyone was written out or had a line or scene explaining where and why they went . I think most shows have problems when actors unexpectedly die, like John Spencer on West Wing. "Fortunately" it was already set up in the show that he had a previous heart attack, so him having another wasn't some out of the blue thing as far as writing goes.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Have you read the book? It’s extremely excellent. It’s 800 or so pages but I read it in two or three days, legit could not put it down. Once it gets going it’s super fast paced and reminds me of the best of Stephen King. The show is slower paced, which I’m cool with, but drat man that book.

I just bought it with my monthly Audible credit since I'm digging the show so much. Zachary Quinto is absolutely great in it

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Glenn Howerton was going to bail on Always Sunny but opted not to between seasons. They wrote his character out and everything.

Oh yeah, they even had an episode with Mindy Kaling as his replacement to make fun of shows replacing characters.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
As great as the show is and as great as the rest of the cast is, I'm itching for Always Sunny to end so that Howerton can go on to be a star. He's just so drat good.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I know so many actors who would kill family members to be a lead on a 14 season show. It’s not even like it actually films in Philly and he was giving up opportunities in LA

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

feedmyleg posted:

As great as the show is and as great as the rest of the cast is, I'm itching for Always Sunny to end so that Howerton can go on to be a star. He's just so drat good.

Same, but Kaitlin Olson. She was absolutely fantastic on The Mick and I would gladly trade the next two or whatever seasons of Sunny for just one more season of The Mick.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

I don't know Bell's politics later in life or even what his purported ones were at the time, but going back and listening to 90s episodes I get the distinct feeling that everyone on that show is a right wing dweeb, Bell included. The conspiracy-loving part of my brain still loves it in a novel and nostalgic way, but it all seems wrapped with brokebrain conservative thinking, even the cryptid stuff. Everyone's reasoning is so anti-science and anti-critical-thinking and there's so much blatant stupidity or naivete on display that it's pretty difficult to distinguish from today's right-wing conspiracy nuts.

That's why I mostly read and listen to conspiracy/cryptid/UFO stuff from the 50s and 60s where I'm ignorant enough about the nuances in politics at the time that they're lacking context to the degree that I can pretend they're not all the exact same idiots :cool:

theres a great tweet out there comparing conspiracy mags from the early 50s to the end of that decade, and it starts with WHAT IF MAN LIVED ON MARS to THE BLACKS ARE TAKING OUR NUKES

right wing ding nuts ruin anything.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Same, but Kaitlin Olson. She was absolutely fantastic on The Mick and I would gladly trade the next two or whatever seasons of Sunny for just one more season of The Mick.

She was really good in Flipped!.....on......Quibi

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Shageletic posted:

theres a great tweet out there comparing conspiracy mags from the early 50s to the end of that decade, and it starts with WHAT IF MAN LIVED ON MARS to THE BLACKS ARE TAKING OUR NUKES

right wing ding nuts ruin anything.

I've collected some 50s UFO newsletters and it's all there for sure. Maybe there was a similar dynamic in spiritualism in the early 1900s.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

GreenNight posted:

Here in Madison there is a local grocery store that is basically the liberal slash hippy grocery store. They'd get amazing complaints from people. So much so that a local comedy troop would do puppet shows, saying the complaints verbatim, at a local coffee shop.

Willy Street Co-op? Or Mifflin Co-op? Both have the worst, most privileged customers.

edit: Jennifer Street? Yeah I can see it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’ve been watching Corner Gas because it’s on prime and my parents started to get into it. It’s pretty good! Very gentle but likeable comedy. Although if this is Canada’s most popular sitcom ever that’s.....completely believable.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I'd argue Trailer Park Boys is our most famous sitcom/comedy. Corner Gas is hella up there tho. Red Green, too-- tho this was like half sketch show half scripted comedy.

Schitt's Creek has probably taken the title by now tho.

anyway yes corner gas owns

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Red Green was amazing! I've tried to get my wife into it before but she just can't get into the magical virtues of duct tape or the practicality of a rear driven front wheel drive car.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Lurdiak posted:

Although Community had the gall to keep going after losing like half its central cast which takes some serious chutzpah. It's like if Marge and Lisa just weren't in the Simpsons anymore.

I'd watch a season of the Simpsons where Marge and Lisa were replaced by Keith David.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Inspector 34 posted:

Red Green was amazing! I've tried to get my wife into it before but she just can't get into the magical virtues of duct tape or the practicality of a rear driven front wheel drive car.

Thanks to Red Green I have lived a full and happy life of using duct tape to fix loving everything.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Community was still really good in seasons where half the case had been replaced, it probably helps that Chevy was the only name before hand so it's not like they lost people with star power (although obviously that came afterwards for some). It's a show that really could have survive and been really good for years, even with zero original main cast members.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't know. I enjoyed the last couple of seasons well enough but I had no real attachment to it or anything. There's definitely an air of "why are you still doing this?" to those later seasons. There's still good stuff and its all perfectly fine but Community felt like it went quite a few years past its peak and once it started dropping half its cast that really showed.

And it was weird when they like replaced half the cast and then had to replace them too.