Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So a couple weeks ago Square Enix had a big online sale for Golden Week, and a bunch of their figures were on discount. So I got my first two Bring Arts! Estinien from FF14 and 2B from Nier Automata.

I really have no complaints about either of them. I know Bring Arts has a reputation of being delicate and fiddly, and 2B kinda is because of her small limbs. But I've been able to post them both just fine. I'm especially impressed with all the accessories 2B comes with, and the complicated stand mechanisms they put in place so you can have weapons float behind her like in the game. Estinien is very solid and also very pointy! And I feel like he's just generally a good figure. Even without knowing him or his game, if someone was just generally fan of Final Fantasy dragoons you can't wrong with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

2B's also a re-issue, the original version had more problems.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

drat. People should share when there’s sales. I loved playing as a Dragoon in FF14.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Hasbro Pulse showed off a Haslab teaser today, the leg of a gigantic Sentinel or Master Mold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFsVudkagwU&t=3052s

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/EntEarth/status/1263811865119002626?s=20

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's clearly just leftover stock of Turk, The Todd, Elliott and Carla pops with masks added.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Aphrodite posted:

That's clearly just leftover stock of Turk, The Todd, Elliott and Carla pops with masks added.

nope, they don't match the Scrubs or Childrens Hospital Pops. They're totally new sculpts

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
nws or at least thumbnail that poo poo

https://twitter.com/ziskaschuler/status/1263813677209325568

this sounds extremely like they've made just the one donation and all the sales are now profit for funko pop, not charity

which, basically,

https://twitter.com/MidisMikey/status/1263814038921805824

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Open Marriage Night posted:

drat. People should share when there’s sales. I loved playing as a Dragoon in FF14.

Oh yeah, I actually to post about it here... just didn't get around to doing it. Sorry! It wasn't like a crazy sale or anything, it was just enough to get me to jump at them.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Cocks Cable posted:

So cool that Gwen Stacy comes with an alt Black Widow head.

For the last couple of years, they've been using the same female head for figures, only swapping out the hair.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Davros1 posted:

For the last couple of years, they've been using the same female head for figures, only swapping out the hair.

Pretty accurate to the comic art.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Davros1 posted:

If they weren't cowards they'd just use the She Hulk head for all of them.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Oh yeah, I actually to post about it here... just didn't get around to doing it. Sorry! It wasn't like a crazy sale or anything, it was just enough to get me to jump at them.

It’s all good! For the best I not be spending all my money on toys. The Transformers thread is causing me enough trouble.

May keep an eye out for that Dragoon in the future though.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Rhyno posted:

Oh yeah that would be an easy buy.

So, we had water leak into the basement where my hobby room is. And it's going to be a huge mess to repair. And after much discussion we've decided that this house has been a huge headache. The positives (like the basement) just don't outweigh the negatives anymore (quite a few) so we've decided to sell and find the "perfect" home. Packing this poo poo up is a huge undertaking and I'm already over it.

Man I feel your pain. We had a flood last weekend that destroyed both my hot water heaters and cost us $2500 to replace. I haven't even bothered looking at what other damage it did cause I'm not ready for that yet.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I sold over half of my Justice League Unlimited collection today, since they hadn't "sparked joy" in a long time, and frankly, I could use the money. If anyone needs 60 plastic cases like the ones pictured below, I've got 'em! They are perfect for not just JLU, but also G.I. Joe, Star Wars, Hasbro Marvel Universe, Mattel DC Infinite Heroes, Kenner Super Powers -- pretty much any action figures in the 3 3/4" to 5" range that aren't too wide. They snap closed and are perfect for wall displays like this:

(These are the JLU figures I kept.)

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 18:38 on May 23, 2020

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Small Barda.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

banned for posting small barda

ShimSham
May 25, 2007

I heard you
like how I sack.

Rhyno posted:

So, we had water leak into the basement where my hobby room is. And it's going to be a huge mess to repair. And after much discussion we've decided that this house has been a huge headache. The positives (like the basement) just don't outweigh the negatives anymore (quite a few) so we've decided to sell and find the "perfect" home. Packing this poo poo up is a huge undertaking and I'm already over it.
I'm with you man, we're moving now and packing up my collection took forever. And we just bought our first place, and it'll be my first place with a basement and I just got a little more anxiety.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I kinda wish I lived in a place where I could have a basement, but yea the moisture stuff makes me nervous.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ah I'm sorry! We live in a heavily wooded area with crappy drainage so our sump pump already ran hourly. We already had a water ingress problem that cost $3K last year, this was the last straw.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Sorry to hear that Rhyno, I know how excited you were to find a home that worked for you and yours. Good luck finding a new one!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
You sold the arm hanging out Darkseid.

YOU"RE DEAD TO ME.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

Sorry to hear that Rhyno, I know how excited you were to find a home that worked for you and yours. Good luck finding a new one!

Thanks man, we've already started and found quite a few options that fit our needs. Just gotta get this place cleaned up and on the market.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Rhyno posted:

Thanks man, we've already started and found quite a few options that fit our needs. Just gotta get this place cleaned up and on the market.
you might've already found your dream place, but one thing I definitely have noticed living in the same place most of my life, is pay attention to the elevation of where you live. our house happens to be on a slightly elevated section of the neighborhood, so when there was a horrific rainstorm and flood that submerged a handful of houses down the road nearly completely, the like 7 foot difference leads to a small hill where the water would eventually flow out into a significant river system. That means that short of The End Times flood levels, we'll never get more than 6 inches flooding in our basement before it flows downhill, compared to just four houses down the road who got near-total submersion of the entire house since they're in what is almost a bowl-section of the neighborhood. that six inches is still terrible of course, but, well, I know someone who has a basement with a ladder hatch access door and after a significant storm they opened the hatch to be greeted by water right up to underneath the hatch, it's a blessing to only have to worry about minor flooding.

so, definitely consider like, where water will flow during hurricanes and torrential downpours in the surrounding location when getting a house. I'm sure you have especially now, but still, the geography of the location where water naturally flows is definitely something to keep an eye on.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't think they have hurricanes in Indiana. :D

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Endless Mike posted:

I don't think they have hurricanes in Indiana. :D

yet

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I’m a little late to the display shelf chat, but I’m looking at getting several of these:

https://www.target.com/p/5-shelf-bookcase-white-room-essentials-8482/-/A-54360637

I’m not looking for anything fancy, just white shelves where I can display a lot of stuff while still having access to it if I want to fiddle with it, and the shelves are sturdy enough to not collapse under the weight of whatever’s on them.

I’ve got several Detolfs for statues and painted miniatures and the like, but I’ve also got a stupid number of Transformers and locking them away in Detolfs feels like it defeats the point. Right now I’ve got two similar shelves in black, but I feel they just suck up all of the light and stuff doesn’t display as well, so I think I’m going to go with white for the rest of my shelves. I have a shitload of figures spanning a ton of different toy/action figure lines in myriad scales, and the whole room is basically going to be for action figures/statues. I’m totally okay with having 100% figures on the shelves.

Are those target shelves a bad call? $35 is really cheap; I know they’re basically particle board, but I don’t really need fine polished mahogany. Still, I have like 8 similar shelves in black and I paid like 2.5 as much for them, so finding them so cheap feels weird. The reviews are pretty solid, though.

I’m just trying to maximize space since I’ve got a lot of stuff. I know this is pretty rambly, thanks for listening to my TED talk.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I have a couple of those shelves, they do the job. I've had them filly stocked with books for a few years and the shelves haven't bowed.

The one issue is that they come with one shelf fewer than you'd want.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Captain Invictus posted:

you might've already found your dream place, but one thing I definitely have noticed living in the same place most of my life, is pay attention to the elevation of where you live. our house happens to be on a slightly elevated section of the neighborhood, so when there was a horrific rainstorm and flood that submerged a handful of houses down the road nearly completely, the like 7 foot difference leads to a small hill where the water would eventually flow out into a significant river system. That means that short of The End Times flood levels, we'll never get more than 6 inches flooding in our basement before it flows downhill, compared to just four houses down the road who got near-total submersion of the entire house since they're in what is almost a bowl-section of the neighborhood. that six inches is still terrible of course, but, well, I know someone who has a basement with a ladder hatch access door and after a significant storm they opened the hatch to be greeted by water right up to underneath the hatch, it's a blessing to only have to worry about minor flooding.

so, definitely consider like, where water will flow during hurricanes and torrential downpours in the surrounding location when getting a house. I'm sure you have especially now, but still, the geography of the location where water naturally flows is definitely something to keep an eye on.

The worst part is this house IS on high ground. It just seems that our property is shaped like a drat bowl and retains every drop of water that falls. I've done a ton of drainage upgrades already and I'm just over it. The heavily wooded lot doesn't help either. The next home will be tree free.

ShimSham
May 25, 2007

I heard you
like how I sack.

Rhyno posted:

Ah I'm sorry! We live in a heavily wooded area with crappy drainage so our sump pump already ran hourly. We already had a water ingress problem that cost $3K last year, this was the last straw.

I had to google what a sump pump is. I should probably familiarize myself with some of these things before I close on the house and move. I know the inspection report showed some signs of moisture in the crawlspace (it's half basement, half crawlspace).

In action figure news, and on the topic of moisture, I really hope McFarlane doesn't screw up the Dune figures. I'm reading the book for the first time and I'm sort of in love with everything about it, so expectations are high.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Well it took longer than I had planned, but last week after 18 months, I finally installed the last component to my PASIV device from Inception.

It took a lot of CNC machining, 3D printing, and a ton of research and investigating the origins of several obscure parts. In all, 359 components and weighing almost 30 lbs.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

gregday posted:

Well it took longer than I had planned, but last week after 18 months, I finally installed the last component to my PASIV device from Inception.

It took a lot of CNC machining, 3D printing, and a ton of research and investigating the origins of several obscure parts. In all, 359 components and weighing almost 30 lbs.

Never has the :aaaaa: emoticon been more appropriate - that is seriously amazing.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I wanna play with that inception case.

Also is snagged these lil fellas for retail and apperently they’re rare now? Weird.

They’re great though.

They fit in really well with regular neca figures.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

CelticPredator posted:

I wanna play with that inception case.

Also is snagged these lil fellas for retail and apperently they’re rare now? Weird.

They’re great though.

They fit in really well with regular neca figures.

Halloween 3 is a vastly underrated film

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s an all timer for me. I watch it with Trick r Treat every Halloween.

gregday
May 23, 2003

sticksy posted:

Never has the :aaaaa: emoticon been more appropriate - that is seriously amazing.

Thanks. My inner chaos wolf really wants to try to get it through airport security just to watch the shitshow unfold.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

gregday posted:

Thanks. My inner chaos wolf really wants to try to get it through airport security just to watch the shitshow unfold.

Do it.

Edit— do it while wearing your Batman costume :getin:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

gregday posted:

Are you certain? Maybe you're only dreaming you did.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

sticksy posted:

They are my favorite posts on SA these days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

They are my favorite posts on SA these days

:hfive:

This doesn't quite compare to the insane attention-to-accuracy as Gregday's incredible Inception case but I'm starting to feel like my dilemma is nerdier version of that whole blue/yellow dress that went viral a couple of years ago so wanted to make sure I consulted the fine minds of BSS....

Can someone please definitively confirm the color, black or white, of Storm's costume from Jim Lee-era X-Men?

I'm making a little diorama with Legends figures of the characters from the original gatefold cover of X-Men #1 / that period and I know she's worn costumes in all-white or all-black, both by design and other times seemingly depending on who the colorist was for different issues.

My intuition given the way the shading was drawn and inked at the time was that it was shiny black, plus the way her cape was colored (black) which matched the color of the rest of her outfit. Flat colors on costumes like Archangel and Jean Grey on that cover had almost no shading so in my mind, if it was white, it feels to be it wouldn't have so much detail there. On the other hand, Storm's costume on the iconic cartoon of that period was definitely white, and the top/back of her cape there looks white so maybe the black was just shadow?! Ugh, this is so dumb and so frustrating :negative:

Exhibit A:

Exhibit B:

This rundown just made me more confused tbh:
http://www.them6p.com/2014/11/16/the-costume-collection-of-storm

This:

Versus this:

sticksy fucked around with this message at 23:59 on May 24, 2020