Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Mister Dog posted:

Why dat fence on the wrong side?

Edit: on closer inspection, it looks like the fence can be positioned on either side of the blade. I’ve never seen that before, is that a UK thing?

Don't you know you're supposed to cut wood the same way you drive?

(like me, badly)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Mister Dog posted:

Edit: on closer inspection, it looks like the fence can be positioned on either side of the blade. I’ve never seen that before, is that a UK thing?
Dewalts in the US can do the same. It's handy on a job site saw, probably much less so on a large, proper saw.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Mister Dog posted:

Most every cabinet saw fence will go both sides of the blade. It's helpful because the blade usually only tilts in one direction, so moving the fence to the other side of the blade lets you make some angled cuts you wouldn't otherwise be able to make.

darkspider42
Oct 7, 2004

Best Buy security. You'll have to come with me sir.

Elysium posted:

https://www.murdochs.com/sales/murdochs-famous-dewalt-tool-sale/

Anyone familiar enough with current prices that knows if these are a particularly good deals or is this just pretty standard "tools go on sale all the time" prices?

Here's some stuff I might be interested in, specifically:

The 10% is subtracted from the bolded price, so full sale price of the nailer for example is $187.19

I pulled the trigger on the DCN680 Brad Nailer. With the free shipping, no tax for being out of state it ended up being better than any other place I've found.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Slugworth posted:

Dewalts in the US can do the same. It's handy on a job site saw, probably much less so on a large, proper saw.

The dewalt being the only one I've known, I didn't even notice on the big saw. I do use both sides, though,

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Jaded Burnout I feel you need an adult in your life who can give you a reality check when you want to spend £2-8k on a powertool to make 24 cuts.

Since that's not me I'll give you £150 for that sliding carriage saw when you're done with it.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

cakesmith handyman posted:

Jaded Burnout I feel you need an adult in your life who can give you a reality check when you want to spend £2-8k on a powertool to make 24 cuts.

Since that's not me I'll give you £150 for that sliding carriage saw when you're done with it.

Presented like that, yes, but let's reframe it a little.

The risers I have in front of me are only the most immediate and obvious example showing the limitations of the tools I have available when it comes to sheet materials. I have other projects coming (and the treads are another 24, though that's neither here nor there).

If this was the only project I was doing, well, I would've just paid someone to make them. But a big driver on all this for me is that I like having the competence and capability to get things done myself and rely minimally on other people for relatively simple jobs. I'm not quite at the point where I'm going to buy a metal lathe & mill plus all the gubbins, but upgrading the main woodworking tool I own is a reasonable spend.

That plus the saw I'm looking at is £1800 inc VAT minus whatever I get for selling the dewalt, and that's about a week's wages for me, after tax.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Schadenboner posted:

Is there a thread for lock-picking (obvs. recreational/non-professional, otherwise I'd look at TCC)?

It occasionally pops up in the yospos secfuck thread. There's a overlap between that and penetration testing/physical security stuff. I've seen some cool defcon lectures on the matter.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Yeah I mean create one if you want, this is technically "DIY & Hobbies", I have no problem with it. If there's already a community somewhere then I'd say go there, otherwise feel free to be the change you want to see in the forums.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Yeah sorry, not trying to dunk on you, it's nice to be able to pay money to make frustration go away so you can do a job properly and I understand that entirely.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Does anyone have recommendations for a battery powered strimmer / grass trimmer? What's the difference between a strimmer and a brushcutter? Does more volts = better and more powerful?

I don't want to spunk a load of money unnecessarily but this looks good without being completely ridiculous price. 2 batteries?!
https://www.galaxus.ch/en/s4/product/makita-dur364lz-rechargeable-battery-operated-trim-line-lawn-trimmers-10687709?tagIds=18-929

This one is cheaper, MORE VOLTS, but not a brand I'm familiar with. And looks a bit more clunky.
https://www.galaxus.ch/en/s4/product/stiga-sgt-48-ae-battery-operated-trim-line-lawn-trimmers-8940235?tagIds=18-929

Kind of want to avoid buying one and finding it's poo poo and having to get another better one.

Jaded Burnout posted:

OK, current front-runner is this:
https://www.sipuk.co.uk/sip-cast-iron-table-saw-12-30-5cm-01446.html

Same deal but 12" blade and 4hp. About $2200 all-in, without the sliding carriage, which would be another 800 bucks.

I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about, but from the first site you posted there's one that has the big table attachment already.
https://www.poolewood.co.uk/product/charnwood-w660-panel-saw-with-sliding-beam-w660/

Though I don't know what the functional difference between a panel and a table saw is.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
The difference between a string trimmer and a brushcutter is the end. A string trimmer looks like this:

This is a brushcutter:

Generally a brushcutter is heavier duty and can work as a string trimmer. But not all string trimmers can work as brushcutters. https://www.husqvarna.com/ch-de/products/rasentrimmer/115il/967098802/ For example this is the string trimmer I own. I like it but I do not believe it will accept a brushcutter blade.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Aha got it.

I found the Makita one on sale, bought it... and then realised that it doesn't come with batteries or charger, and they are about the same as the strimmer itself. Great.

Mister Dog
Dec 27, 2005

knox_harrington posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for a battery powered strimmer / grass trimmer? What's the difference between a strimmer and a brushcutter? Does more volts = better and more powerful?
I’ve been using the absolute cheapest underpowered Ryobi battery trimmer for like 8 years and it’s still going just fine. If you’ve got a pile of cordless tools already, go with whatever uses compatible batteries.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Jaded Burnout posted:

The risers I have in front of me are only the most immediate and obvious example showing the limitations of the tools I have available when it comes to sheet materials. I have other projects coming (and the treads are another 24, though that's neither here nor there).

If this was the only project I was doing, well, I would've just paid someone to make them. But a big driver on all this for me is that I like having the competence and capability to get things done myself and rely minimally on other people for relatively simple jobs. I'm not quite at the point where I'm going to buy a metal lathe & mill plus all the gubbins, but upgrading the main woodworking tool I own is a reasonable spend.

That plus the saw I'm looking at is £1800 inc VAT minus whatever I get for selling the dewalt, and that's about a week's wages for me, after tax.

By all means, in that case, without further ado, go for it.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Mr. Mambold posted:

By all means, in that case, without further ado, go for it.

I'm letting it stew for a few more days, but probably will :woop:

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I suspect I have made a mistake. I decided I want to buy an electric pressure washer since I need to restain my deck, and I saw Home Depot has a Ryobi kit for $119. Once I got to the store, I decided to buy the next step up electric Ryobi for $179 since it also does soap.

As soon as I opened it at home it was clear this unit had already been returned to the store. Packaging was loose and lousy, the cord was tied in knots, the hose was full of water, etc. Everything was present, so I decided to test it out. It worked for for a couple minutes, then it began shutting off. I was blasting dirt out of the cracks in my driveway so I think the nozel might have got plugged, but I can't see any dirt in the nozel.

It would run for about 10 seconds, then the motor would get real high pitched and the flow would drop before shutting off. I could restart it and this would repeat. Does this symptom seem like a clogged nozel, or is this more likely a bigger problem? Should I simply box it up and return it to Home Depot for them to reshelve it again, or should I call Ryobi first since it has a 3 year warranty? Should I expect an electric pressure washer to be easy to operate or are these normally problematic?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

1000% box that puppy back up and return it

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Jaded Burnout posted:

Yeah I mean create one if you want, this is technically "DIY & Hobbies", I have no problem with it. If there's already a community somewhere then I'd say go there, otherwise feel free to be the change you want to see in the forums.

Upon reflection I think it would be difficult to avoid content that might lead to the sort of knocks-at-door Lowtax tends to frown upon. Additionally, I don't know anything about lock-picking (I asked because I just found the lockpick set and clear lock I bought a year or two ago and had some fun springing the lock again but the lock is complete poo poo, it's literally like a 1% Skill Level achievement).

Also I'm lazy as gently caress so I'll sponge off others intellectual labor but won't contribute any of my own. I'm not even the :effort: because I won't even bother looking at the button.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Crotch Fruit posted:

It would run for about 10 seconds, then the motor would get real high pitched and the flow would drop before shutting off. I could restart it and this would repeat. Does this symptom seem like a clogged nozel, or is this more likely a bigger problem? Should I simply box it up and return it to Home Depot for them to reshelve it again, or should I call Ryobi first since it has a 3 year warranty? Should I expect an electric pressure washer to be easy to operate or are these normally problematic?

Holy poo poo, I had your exact same experience, right down to originally going into the store to buy the $120 washer. I ended up returning it and asking the associate if I could open up the replacement in the store to confirm that everything looked good. This was before the apocalypse started, though.

For what it's worth, the 1900 PSI one that I assume you bought is a really, really nice pressure washer for the price. I bought it to replace an old gas-powered washer and I don't miss that thing at all. I've used the Ryobi a ton, and I've never had a problem with the nozzle clogging, even after blasting away 2" of caked-on mud from an old sidewalk section. If the motor sounds bad, I'd definitely return it. Ryobi's warranty support is pretty good in my experience, if you don't want to return to the store.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Sockser posted:

1000% box that puppy back up and return it

Paradoxish posted:

Holy poo poo, I had your exact same experience, right down to originally going into the store to buy the $120 washer. I ended up returning it and asking the associate if I could open up the replacement in the store to confirm that everything looked good. This was before the apocalypse started, though.

For what it's worth, the 1900 PSI one that I assume you bought is a really, really nice pressure washer for the price. I bought it to replace an old gas-powered washer and I don't miss that thing at all. I've used the Ryobi a ton, and I've never had a problem with the nozzle clogging, even after blasting away 2" of caked-on mud from an old sidewalk section. If the motor sounds bad, I'd definitely return it. Ryobi's warranty support is pretty good in my experience, if you don't want to return to the store.
Thanks, this and the previous reply have convinced me I will need to take it back to the store. I will at least tell the returns associate it's busted and hope they don't just restock it, the fact that someone else already used and abused this and returned it to the store knowing it is broken is what upsets me the most about this purchase

The model I bought is the 1900psi 1.2gpm model, I think the only thing I dislike about it (besides being broken) is how the electric cord winds up, the posts has a lip on one side but not the other side so it can slide off easily. I guess I will either just deal with it, or practice different ways to wrap the cord.

I know nothing about pressure washers, what can I put in the detergent tank? The manual says only approved pressure washer detergent but see these things actually picky? I want to refinish my deck, but I assume putting deck stain in would be a bad idea. I would also like to use it to wash my car, I am pretty sure my bottle of generic car wash soap does not say pressure washer detergent, is this ok?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

It sounds like you're not getting enough water from the supply hose, or it's got a kink in it.

Also return that, get one that's not been opened.

Put whatever you want in the detergent reservoir. If it's too thick, mix some water in with it. These generally just pump it through in a low pressure spray just to get things soapy. If yours does high pressure soap then it's pretty good. But with mine and for my car, I just spray the soap on and then wash with a rag. I've put generic car wash in there, Simple Green, whatever. It doesn't care what it is.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 18:00 on May 23, 2020

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

On those electric pressure washers, you have to purge the poo poo out of them to get all the air pockets out. My usual process is to just hook the water to it with the wand not even installed and let it run for ~5 minutes or so.

Any air bubble will cause the motor to kick out to save itself.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

angryrobots posted:

On those electric pressure washers, you have to purge the poo poo out of them to get all the air pockets out. My usual process is to just hook the water to it with the wand not even installed and let it run for ~5 minutes or so.

Do you let the water run, or let the unit run?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Sorry - water only with no wand, then install the wand and let the water run through it, then last turn the power on.

Edit - the idea is to purge it with your house water pressure and get all the bubbles out of the unit and water hose. Actually I'll also run water though the hose before hooking it to the unit.

This sounds a lot more complicated than it is in practice, I promise. :P

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 18:49 on May 23, 2020

trufflefoo
Oct 29, 2006
If I was looking for a compressor and spraygun in the UK, what should I buy?
It’s for painting bicycles and maybe something suitable for airbrushing? Unsure if that’s a compatible aim.
I don’t really need to run air tools and it’ll be infrequent use.
Budget of < £250 ideally. I know nothing about compressors or spraygun, but LVLP guns are intermittently recommended for this, according to that there internet.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

angryrobots posted:

I will look into this more, I was using a 50ft hose and I had a couple large coils left in one end, but I did not have any kinks in the hose that I was aware of. I am on city water with a 1.5" main, but I have done a bucket test on my hose spout and it will fill a 5 gallon bucket in about 90 seconds. I don't think I have bad water pressure but not great water pressure either.

As for purging the unit, I believe the manual only said to connect the hose and let it the hose run for 10 seconds prior to use, I didn't count but I'm sure I had it connected with the hose on for more than 10 seconds. Did you mean I should run the pump motor without an attachment at first? I can connect the hose, run the water, and even turn the power button on but the pump motor won't start until I pull the trigger on the attachment.

Also, it ran great for about 5 minutes before it started having problems, does that still sound like it could have been an air bubble in the machine? I will give keep trying a couple more times since it will be a few days before I want to go back to Home Depot if an exchange is necessary.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

trufflefoo posted:

If I was looking for a compressor and spraygun in the UK, what should I buy?
It’s for painting bicycles and maybe something suitable for airbrushing? Unsure if that’s a compatible aim.
I don’t really need to run air tools and it’ll be infrequent use.
Budget of < £250 ideally. I know nothing about compressors or spraygun, but LVLP guns are intermittently recommended for this, according to that there internet.

I don't know much about sprayguns, but I get on fine with this compressor for infrequent use:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/impax-om227-24-cm2-proe3625-24ltr-electric-air-compressor-230v/4070v

It doesn't have a huge tank though, so take that into account with whatever stuff you use it on.

A bit piece of advice I received was to not use power extensions, and instead use long air hoses, so I picked up some reasonably priced on Amazon.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
While on pressure washer chat, is there a groupthink favorite gas one? I slept on the Husqvarna one that Costco had cheap so now I need to figure out what to get.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

stealie72 posted:

While on pressure washer chat, is there a groupthink favorite gas one? I slept on the Husqvarna one that Costco had cheap so now I need to figure out what to get.

For a little guy a Karcher with a Honda GC190 on it (if you can find one) is basically unkillable. It's the kind of thing that is so unkillable the local rental places have them. And have had them for a long time.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

angryrobots posted:

Crotch Fruit posted:

Also, it ran great for about 5 minutes before it started having problems, does that still sound like it could have been an air bubble in the machine? I will give keep trying a couple more times since it will be a few days before I want to go back to Home Depot if an exchange is necessary.

I have a gas powered washer so slightly different beast, but I've run into exactly that. Purge the hose before connecting to the washer, turn on water, try to purge with pump off, start up and purge, then get into the job for a few minutes and have the pressure suddenly disappear. I don't think pressure washers move much feed water volume so a bubble at the supply tap end takes a while to move through the system and hit the pump. It's disconcerting when that happens.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Crotch Fruit posted:

As for purging the unit, I believe the manual only said to connect the hose and let it the hose run for 10 seconds prior to use, I didn't count but I'm sure I had it connected with the hose on for more than 10 seconds. Did you mean I should run the pump motor without an attachment at first? I can connect the hose, run the water, and even turn the power button on but the pump motor won't start until I pull the trigger on the attachment.

I don't think it's advisable to run the pump motor without wand attached. All of my air purging suggestions were intended to use your home water pressure only, prior to running the washer pump.

I could see the washer unit only needing 10 seconds of flow to purge it, but getting all the air out of your water hose takes a while, and every bubble that comes out had to work it's way though the washer unit as well.

Yes as the above poster mentioned, I have seen issues pop up after 5 minutes of normal operation.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Crotch Fruit posted:

I will at least tell the returns associate it's busted and hope they don't just restock it, the fact that someone else already used and abused this and returned it to the store knowing it is broken is what upsets me the most about this purchase

My father used to write BROKEN on the box of anything he had to return to keep the store from being able to easily reshelve it.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Nevets posted:

My father used to write BROKEN on the box of anything he had to return to keep the store from being able to easily reshelve it.

I do this for Amazon warehouse stuff all the time. They send the wrong item, or whatever, and there are often repeat shopping stickers on it. So I write the problem in Sharpie very clearly. I figure it's gotta help the warehouse folks categorize the item correctly, or at least not miss the damage. It reminds me of the go who tried to order boxes and kept getting granola... Stupid Amazon scanners picked up the box barcode instead of the item inside.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

stealie72 posted:

I am buying this one after using a Simpson a friend had with the same engine:

https://www.farmandfleet.com/products/1030424-honda-megashot-2800-psi-gas-pressure-washer.html

This is the Honda branded version of the Simpson with the same engine/PSI/GPM. It doesn't have a built in detergent tank but I don't know how often I will need that.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Speaking of pressure washer chat, I got a free one from CL/side of the road. The ad said it leaked gas from the carb and the owner couldn't be bothered to keep trying to fix it. Troy-Bilt with a Honda motor.

I have my doubts he tried much of anything. I confirmed it leaked from the carb bowl, so I removed the carb, then detached the bowl. I didn't do much other than reseat the bowl gasket, and remove and reseat the float and float needle.

After reassembly, no more leaks and it works great. Not sure what the issue was, but I suspect the float needle because I found it very fiddly to get back in place properly.

All I needed to buy were a couple nozzles, it only had the 0 and 40 degree, and the soaping nozzle. Bought 15 and 25 degree nozzles for about $9 each, which I feel like was overpaying but I didn't want to wait who knows how long to get a $15 variety pack of 5 nozzles to ship.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 24, 2020

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

drat! That's an awesome score!

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
If you have red tools and need an extra battery + whatever tool youve been wanting, home depot seems to have some decent deals since Father's day is around the corner. https://www.homedepot.com/b/Special-Values-Promotions/Milwaukee/N-5yc1vZc3zwZzvZbwo51&experienceName=default

I got a M18 7-1/4 in. circular saw with TWO 6.0 Ah batteries, an extra charger and a bag for $299.

If I was just starting out and owned a home+fixed my car I'd def get this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...-10CX/304238212

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Update, my pressure washer is alive and I was dumb. I think the key difference is that the first time I ran it, I connected the garden hose, attachment hose and wand, then turned on the hose for 10 seconds and this lead to having air bubbles in my 50' (maybe 100' actually I have never measured) hose which would stall the motor.

Tonight I first ran the hose unattached until it stopped spurting, then I simply kinked the hose and attached it to the pressure washer, I then waited until the small stream coming from the outlet stopped spurting, and attached the hose and wand and did the same. Finally I flipped the power on, the motor ran for a second to prime the system, and then I started cleaning my driveway. I ran it for about 20 minutes (not non stop) and I had no further issues.

Now I need to know what kind of fun things I can do with my new toy. My first projects will be cleaning the inside of my grill really good, and eventually i want to blast and then restain my deck. I used it to remove a few paint spots from redoing my trim, and finally removed the extremely stubborn barn swallow turds. It came with a blue soap tip, yellow tip, and a black "turbo nozzle". I think a variety pack of different angle tips and a scrubber head will be my next purchases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trufflefoo
Oct 29, 2006

Jaded Burnout posted:

I don't know much about sprayguns, but I get on fine with this compressor for infrequent use:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/impax-om227-24-cm2-proe3625-24ltr-electric-air-compressor-230v/4070v

It doesn't have a huge tank though, so take that into account with whatever stuff you use it on.

A bit piece of advice I received was to not use power extensions, and instead use long air hoses, so I picked up some reasonably priced on Amazon.

Thanks, that looks about what I was after. Will pick one up.
Advice about hoses is good, that would never have occurred to me. Cheers!