Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

MrMojok posted:

supposedly at some point recently the Trump Admin was discussing resumption of nuke testing

So, are we starting a betting pool for date and yield?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Kazinsal posted:

So, are we starting a betting pool for date and yield?

7/10, 4:20pm, 69kt.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
The tower and tunnel built for the one that was cancelled is still in place. They can just use that.

Edit: It'll be the morning after the piss tape hits liveleak.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
Trump will refuse to debate, claim media hunts etc.

He’s better off holding rallies and he knows it.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Abongination posted:

Trump will refuse to debate, claim media hunts etc.

He’s better off holding rallies and he knows it.

:laffo: against Biden?

I don't think there will be Trump/Biden debates because they would be too funny and I don't count on the universe being kind. But if they did happen Trump would tee off on the guy.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

To keep social bonds in working from home long term you have to be on the phone a lot and get good with small talk. I'm on the phone probably 3-4 hours a day and I am extremely up to date on the weather systems and traffic troubles of several US cities, accordingly.

So no I don't see tech companies pulling this off. I came from tech to my current company and it was a massive culture shock. What's going to happen in tech work from home is people will atomize and management will eventually replace everyone with far cheaper remote workers. It's not like Facebook is innovating anything anyway, you just need to keep the lights on for everything but your spyware and advertising divisions.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Doc Hawkins posted:

:laffo: against Biden?

I don't think there will be Trump/Biden debates because they would be too funny and I don't count on the universe being kind. But if they did happen Trump would tee off on the guy.

Right-wing op-eds are already claiming that the debates will be biased against Trump so something tells me he’ll refuse to debate, Biden will be ok with it because coronavirus and both will be able to lean back and say “you know what I’m about, vote for the other guy if you don’t like it.”

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
I do worry that big tech corps that start ditching physical offices entirely wouldn't stop at letting their employees work in a barn in Nebraska for lower compensation, but instead go on to pushing through policy that makes it facile to just hire workers that are based entirely overseas and can be paid marginally higher than the American minimum wage, if even. We could look forward to a further hollowing out of the American middle class and a Rust Belt 2.0.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Hasn't Trump been saying he won't bother with the debates for months now?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

You think his ego will let him sit them out?

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Cugel the Clever posted:

I do worry that big tech corps that start ditching physical offices entirely wouldn't stop at letting their employees work in a barn in Nebraska for lower compensation, but instead go on to pushing through policy that makes it facile to just hire workers that are based entirely overseas and can be paid marginally higher than the American minimum wage, if even. We could look forward to a further hollowing out of the American middle class and a Rust Belt 2.0.

This is absolutely the future. Tech workers should have unionized when they had all the power. Instead they were getting into PUA and Rand cause they somehow imagined that their coding was irreplaceable work of genius.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Welcome to the republican party

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Internet Wizard posted:

Hasn't Trump been saying he won't bother with the debates for months now?

The opposite, he's already said he's in and isn't really pretending otherwise, though he is doing his standard ref-working.

Also, enjoy Rachel Maddow being Done with this week:

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1264054012132769794

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

loving lol. I didn't know i needed to see a talking head get fed up with this but i did

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Cugel the Clever posted:

Where I work, they say if and when you're allowed to hire (lol), you can have just 1 coder locally or 2-3 in various overseas places. What that means is you can have 1 that you can actually get to know on a personal level who can learn the culture of the team and what's expected of them by seeing how others work, or 2-3 which you can only talk to if you start work early or work back late so that the times overlap, who therefore never really figure out all the things that aren't written down fully (and who has the time for that?), and who at least in my experience you sort of feel don't exist past their not necessarily legible emails. I find it a lot easier to not get pissed off with someone making the same mistake for the 10th time if I have a coffee or beer with them from time to time.

The solution of course is to offshore the entire team :v:

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Shopify just announced on Wednesday or something that they are permanently keeping everyone remote.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
They will also be paying in company scrip and be hailed as geniuses

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Remote only work kind of sucks for people without stable home situations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cugel the Clever posted:

We’re getting the Manna (2003) future.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

RIP soimon

https://youtu.be/grXXl_O02g8

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Yeah, it's real bad for some people. I think a lot of people's mental health will be affected - humans desire human interaction. We're a social species. WFH works great for a lot of people, but other people, especially with bad home situations, or not a lot of outside friends/activities, are going to suffer.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Makes it harder to cheat and I'm sure that what really has big boy donnie mad.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I'm ADD and work from home would be hell for me unless I only had a 20 hour work week.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/GeoffRBennett/status/1263896723203788800?s=19

https://twitter.com/KellyO/status/1264197688339378176?s=19

Donnie's going golfing. Mission accomplished!

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

PookBear posted:

I'm ADD and work from home would be hell for me unless I only had a 20 hour work week.

Almost nobody actually does 40 hours of work in a 40 hour work week

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Internet Wizard posted:

And the people who do are paid poo poo, and often doing some of the worst physical labor you can imagine. :negative:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

This.

I'm sure half the thread has seen me bitch about my company revoking WFH down to one day and axing home based employees last year, so I've got a lot of thoughts on it but I firmly believe it's one of those options company's should make available to those that want it. Making it mandatory or not an option are both stupid.

I do great when I work from home, as do the people on my team, but there are other people who do not have a home office setup to do it well or their work isn't really suitable to working from home all the time. All I really do is look at excel sheets, XML files and historical documents all day, so it's not a huge stretch for me to work from home.

Also as far as pay goes, my company used to reduce your salary if you went from working in a expensive metro to home based but quietly stopped doing that a few years ago. Before they stopped WFH (and I have a feeling it's gonna come back because now everyone is doing it and they are gonna suffer from more attrition cause of it), the new policy was, if you went to working from home full time, you kept your salary, but your COLA/raises reflected your new location. That seemed fair to me.

Internet Wizard posted:

Yeah, pretty much. The unwritten rule is that so long as your work is being completed (and not half assed), and you remain available during business hours, no one gives a poo poo if you are sitting at your desk a full eight hours a day.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Can someone give a brief explanation of wtf is going on here please

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Some Kiwi tosser misappropriated 6k for Haka research and development to install a Slushee machine in the community center in Hobbiton to buy their vote in the upcoming election and Soimon is mad about it

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

MRC48B posted:

And the people who do are paid poo poo, and often doing some of the worst physical labor you can imagine. :negative:

Even if it's not overly physical, working a real 40 hour week - like say, call center agents, fast food managers, data entry clerks, cashiers, etc - is exhausting.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 23, 2020

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

maffew buildings posted:

Some Kiwi tosser misappropriated 6k for Haka research and development to install a Slushee machine in the community center in Hobbiton to buy their vote in the upcoming election and Soimon is mad about it

What

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Man, to live in a place where that’s a top scandal

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Pier 45 in San Fran is burning the gently caress down.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

ded posted:

Pier 45 in San Fran is burning the gently caress down.

They saved the Jeremiah Obrian so whatever.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
An update on the fire

nbcbayarea.com posted:

Firefighters responded to the massive blaze at 4:20 a.m.
\

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/san-francisco/4-alarm-warehouse-fire-at-pier-45/2295724/

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

smoke piers 4-alarm blaze it

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/kxcii2/status/1263064566172450816?s=19

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Heh

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

nc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

maffew buildings posted:

This is actually close enough to the truth that I'm gonna go with it

Anyway because soimon kept choosing absolute winners of issues such as this one to fight the most popular government in nz history, he now is no longer the leader of the opposition

And that video makes me giggle because a grown man is yelling SLUSHIES in parliament