Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Ayin posted:

Reading this, I suddenly wonder if this movie is why Disney had someone else do Episode 8

I like this thread a lot, thanks :)

I'm pretty sure Abrams did Into Darkness before The Force Awakens. My recollection is that Abrams was burned out after busting rear end to meet the deadline for Force Awakens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yup. Into Darkness was also a huge financial success, like it or not, and has others have pointed out Abrams basically used NuTrek as his demo reel to prove he could do Star Wars-style space movies.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
Well thanks for sharing that essay, now I need to lie facedown on the floor and have FEELINGS about the relationships between Spock, Kirk, and Bones.

Honest to god one of the best triune character dynamics in fiction history, even Abrams couldn’t totally gently caress it up

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

The Skeep
Sep 15, 2007

That Chicken sure loves to drum...sticks
I like to imagine that after DS9 Sisko starts quantum leaping through Bajor improving peoples lives. and if you notice and catch him he smiles, winks, and vanishes in a puff of Orb Light.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

The Skeep posted:

I like to imagine that after DS9 Sisko starts quantum leaping through Bajor improving peoples lives. and if you notice and catch him he smiles, winks, and vanishes in a puff of Orb Light.

Touched by a Sisko

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Honestly that actually seems pretty fitting. Though I still prefer the version where he's living with Kasidy and their kid somewhere out in the Bajoran countryside and no one on the planet will tell you, but there is a place increasingly well known for its fusion Bajoran-Cajun cuisine.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnaCnbgim6o

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Does extended book canon ever make into tumblr memes, like Star Trek: New Frontier and such, or is that too much even for them to contend with?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I want more stuff with Scott and his new apprentice/daughter figure.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Probably Magic posted:

Does extended book canon ever make into tumblr memes, like Star Trek: New Frontier and such, or is that too much even for them to contend with?

not so much the memes but people talk about it. there's a lot of... mixed feelings.

there are a lot of people who read it, but they mostly fall into two camps:

1. yay! any kind of content for Thing i like! out-of-context sentences that make spock/kirk sound credible! lwaxana gets her own book!! lwaxana meets q!!! wow wow wow!!!!!!

2. "these books are unconscionably bad" and/or when someone asks about ST canon someone saying "we never find out in the show. in the book [title], we find out he learned it by going to the mirror universe and banging a bit part character who showed up in one episode who can do risian karate now :rolleyes:"

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
here's an example of some bona fide star trek tumblog discourse about Bashir, I mentioned that the genetic engineering plotline gets a lot of chatter:

quote:

Julian's enhancements - both in terms of exactly what was done to him, and how they did it - are one of the things I find most fascinating about his character. And probably the most interesting thing in DS9, if I'm entirely honest with myself. I'm an absolute sucker for the sort of moral quandary his enhancements provide. Plus, I find the whole question of what is and what is not deemed necessary in terms of his enhancement an interesting one, as I think it reflects what sort of attributes are considered integral in 24th century society. For example, his intelligence has been massively enhanced, but his outward appearance? Not so much. He's good looking, yes, but he's not some muscled hunk of a man who looks like he could bench press a stupidly large weight with relative ease, which does say interesting things about the society he lives in, I think.

quote:

I admit, I personally have some rather conflicted feelings about it as a move for his character. It's something I think could be very interesting, but wasn't handled especially well in canon.

I do think it would have been stronger if Bashir had found out contemporaneously with everyone else (his parents had confessed it to him as, perhaps, trying to convince him not to become the model for the holo-doctor, knowing it would put him under greater scrutiny), because a lot of the broad arc of his character--if there... is one--is about becoming less naive. So I think learning he was, well, enhanced, would do a lot to puncture his notion of having succeeded in a genuine meritocracy by dint of elbow grease, bootstraps, etc. ("Oh, I'm here because something out of my control gave me an inherent advantage." Privilege metaphor? I don't know.)

... But more than anything, I consider it just a huge can of worms that needed to have been explored more carefully if it was introduced at all. And I don't mean the nitpicks (e.g. how did Julian's parents even identify much less pay someone to do this?). I mean exploring what can/should be "fixed" and what can't, and within what bounds.

I find that interesting, in part, because... okay, okay! I'll just say it! In the context of Garak and just generally other valid points of view. For example, if we accept that Julian was -genuinely- showing signs of inherently limited mental capacity (and we don't *know*), then he gets to object to his genetic modification on the grounds that he is a Federation citizen, who would have been safe and cared for regardless. Garak, ostensibly, does not come from such a culture, and he wound have gotten killed if he were any less mentally acute than he is.

Anyway, we can think about it today, in the context of care for special needs people. A parent who absolutely loves their child might still prefer the child not be special needs, if only because of how limited the social safety net can be once the parents pass away. I think in the context of Cardassian culture--where family is treasured, but society is resource-limited and quite severe--Julian's parents' decision would be viewed differently. But how differently, really? Star Trek tends to handwave these things.

quote:

Julian's augmentation is something that I love as a concept, but found the execution of it in the show both underwhelming, and more than a little disappointing. It had so much potential as a plot line, and I feel like a lot of that was squandered. Possibly to avoid some of the trickier moral quandaries his enhancements throw up. As an idea, especially given what happened with Khan and the Eugenics Wars, having an augmented character is interesting. It offers a lot of opportunities to really explore the legacy of Khan and those wars, and the 'blind spot' the Federation has with regards to augmented members of the population. The Federation penalties for augments are very harsh - especially for the augment, who I would say is the victim in the scenario. Julian himself really couldn't be anything but a victim, given that he was 7 when he was sent for genetic re-sequencing - it was hardly his choice.

That said, I'm not entirely sure that the show could ever have explored the topic adequately. The whole what can/cannot be 'fixed' is a very big can of worms, indeed. Where does one draw the line? Can one even draw a line at all? It's a very slippery slope.

I completely agree with you that the entire plot line would have been far stronger had Julian found out during 'Dr Bashir, I Presume'. His actions and attitude in the previous series would have made far much more sense had he not known he was an augment. His dreams of playing tennis, in particular - after all, how could he, in all good conscience, become a professional tennis player knowing that he had an extreme advantage over everyone he faced simply due to his enhancements? It would be deeply unfair, and not something I could see sitting easily with him, given what we see of his morals and convictions in the show. Certainly the fallout of Julian finding out that everything he had worked hard for was effectively gained by cheating the system would have made for some interesting character development - especially given that, before the big reveal, we see him very fixated on the fact that he is 'second best', academically speaking. The knowledge that he would forever be the runner up, even after having had his intelligence vastly enhanced, would be devastating (and interesting. At least to me, a perpetual runner up).

I do find the fact that we don't *know* definitively what Julian was like before his parents had him enhanced very interesting. Given what we see of his Mirror!verse counterpart, I often wonder whether or not he would have turned out simply average. That maybe his enhancements were either because his parents panicked at his slightly later than average development, or that they simply weren't content with him as he was - that they wanted a son who was the very best, and were willing to go to rather extreme lengths to get it. But it's all speculation.

quote:

I completely agree that, above all, it’s wasted potential. There is a lot there. I mean, I’ve even thought, “well, is this ‘powerlust’ among augmented persons really inherent, or was it more of a reflection of a culture at the time of the Eugenics Wars that placed intelligence as the singular defining characteristic of a person, therefore inflating the egos of people who were very smart but hadn’t been instructed in matters of empathy, as that quality was not sufficiently valued?” I hate going back to well-designed and well-implemented behavioral experiments on rats, because their broad conclusions are always dangerously over-applied, far far far far beyond what the researchers themselves recommended. BUT it broaches the question, then, of what’s inherently genetic, what’s a product of environment, and what exists at the interface. I don’t think Star Trek could be given the burden of _answering_ that question, but I do think it could have helped _explore that dilemma_. Or at least, if it went into it at all, go into it with somewhat more care.

I mean, there is the issue, as you alluded—the real-world problem that, uh, this is a complicated discussion. It might even be borderline inappropriate to apply it too closely, since in the real world, we deal with things like Tay-Sachs. Particularly using sci-fi analogues, especially one with easy “solutions” that don’t even exist in the real world, yeah…. That’s going to get… challenging.

And you’re right—it’s sort of galling that life imprisonment seems to be the default? What the heck?? I mean that seems hugely… creepy and weird and a significant ethical “WOAH THERE”… when we assume these people, as you pointed out, are most likely victims. Julian, certainly.

I just 100% agree with everything you expanded on wrt: when Julian should have found out. Among other things, “Distant Voices” doesn’t make much sense in the lens of “Dr. Bashir, I Presume”. Like… you imagine it would have… come up. And you make a great point—the Julian we know never would have tried to be a tennis star by exploiting an unfair advantage like that. I think that would be a sincere violation of his character. But the IDEA of him having to confront that he’s second-best--WITH a leg up? Oh man, that has my brain churning. That’s got some real teeth.

(*I admittedly tend to disregard the “mirror universe” episodes when thinking about main-universe persons and relationships, but I do think it’s a good point. And I do think that’s a really huge lingering question. Even in light of above—how far could hard work have taken him, then? Could he have been normal? Would he have capped at ‘normal’? Or was even that out of his grasp?)

quote:

I've always thought that the idea of powerlust going hand in hand with augmentation is an interesting one. I'm not entirely sure I agree with it, as it sort of suggests that the augments were unable to express any form of empathy or self-reflection at all, which seems like an awfully convenient way of creating a 'big bad' without actually having to add any sort of nuance to the discussion. As odd as it sounds, the whole idea of having Extra Humans(TM) was much better explored, in my opinion, in X-Men. In Star Trek, the idea seems to fall a little flat on its face, as it's just a slightly different re-hash of the whole 'mad scientist' trope, with the difficult questions sort of swept under the rug - I'm actually sort of sick of seeing bad behaviour by 'brilliant people' excused simply because they are academically brilliant, as if that completely precludes the ability to empathise with others (but that's a rant for another time).

Nature vs. nurture is something I find utterly fascinating, along with how one directly influences the other - as personally, I don't think they are two separate things. Our environmental circumstances can change our genes (or, at the very least, the expression and regulation of our genes in a heritable way), just as our genes can change our reaction to environmental stimuli. What we experience (and what our parents and grandparents experienced) leaves 'shadows' upon our cellular environment. A very large part of me does wonder what sort of 'shadows' both the augmented and non-augmented people from the Eugenics Wars left upon the general populace - the information about what happened to the augmented members of the population who were not part of the 80+ who were condemned to die for their allegiance to Khan is sketchy at best, as there must have been more than those arrested present at the time of the wars.

And speaking of epigenetics, a very large part of me does wonder if most of what was done to Julian was actually more along those lines. As it would explain how his enhancements could have been hidden during routine medical examinations, etc., as if you'd just be fiddling around with the 'settings' rather than the system itself.

Anyway, sorry, I'm sort of wandering off the point a little...

Genetic manipulation and the uses thereof in medicine (and beyond) is always going to be an incredibly tricky question for humanity. Where exactly do you draw the line? Even some of the more 'clear cut' examples fall into an ethical minefield - 'correcting' the SNPs involved in a disease such as Cystic Fibrosis result in a lot of very difficult ethical questions. And that's before we even get into more murky waters regarding what sort of conditions, diseases and issues require 'correction'. I agree that applying what we see in the show to questions like this may be borderline inappropriate - and one of the main reasons why Julian's storyline regarding his augmentation was always going to fall short.

As for the Federation's attitude towards augments, it's actually one of the things I found quite upsetting about Julian's storyline - the fact that until his father made a deal with them, they were going to put the entirety of the blame for being enhanced on Julian. His parents were in the wrong. Julian, himself, had no say. Whilst I can see the argument for stripping him of his rank (given that he knowingly signed up for Starfleet service despite his augmented status - another thing that just really doesn't gel with his character and would have worked a lot better had he discovered his enhancement during the episode), beyond that the punishment seems completely nonsensical. It hardly works as a deterrent, considering those undergoing augmentation appear to be too young to fully understand and consent the procedure (and that's before we even consider the question of capacity). It's such a strange blindspot.

quote:

Yes, I think the notion that the Augments are inherently power-hungry is narratively cheap. I do think there is something to be said for how culture plays up certain people as "natural leaders" and that they might pick up on it from there, as someone who is born incredibly wealthy, or as royalty, etc. So they might lend themselves to it, because it's lent to them; as such, it would say more about broader society and its values than any inherent attributes of a baby whose genes have been meddled with. You're right to be skeptical of the "Sherlock" model where someone can be a terror or a complete jerk and disobey the rules that ostensibly exist for "lesser people" if they're just so gosh-darn inherently superior. (Sorry if you like that show, personally I found that aspect morally odious from day one and didn't make it far in the series. The converse, "Elementary", was interesting for deliberately and relentlessly puncturing this idea and for that I liked it quite a bit.)

I do think an epigenetic explanation could work just as well, given what's set up. I mean, you can turn your little grasshopper into a locust! Sure, why not? Nothing that isn't encoded already, just whatever we choose to express. Yeah, I think the nature/nurture "determination" stuff lends itself to some harsh conclusions pretty quickly if it's not explored with a delicate hand. And then you have to be careful of overshooting ("well, if we're all just stimulus response after stimulus response to stimuli from our environment, given our unique encoding, are we REALLY 'responsible' for ANYTHING? Did we ever have agency?!" Well, if that's true, then there's no use thinking or doing anything about anything so... that's unsatisfying.) And anyway, en epigenetic explanation I think would have been better for storytelling purposes. "We didn't MAKE you anything you WEREN'T already, we just TAPPED INTO what you were already capable of. Did you want to be the lesser version of what you are?" Hmm...

I did feel like the treatment of the augments was horrendous and it was kind of appalling that it wasn't much questioned, or it was treated with a very light hand. They're prisoners for life? They're locked in with like four other people? Who did this to them? And then for it to be treated somewhat vaguely by his friends and loved ones. Hell, we've now had the pleasure of seeing how bonkers people go when they're caged. Admittedly, I don't re-watch those episodes often, so there may be things I am forgetting, but for the most part it was bizarre. AND, if they ever did escape, boy would it not have engendered good feelings towards the Federation (just saying). Were augments first designed to lead or to complete tasks? (If they were designed for a set purpose other than 'hey what happens if we...') Because it's a whole new kettle of fish if this is actually reflective of attitudes that existed before they cut empires.

quote:

I agree that the idea that Augments are ‘born to lead’ is something that does hold up a mirror to 24th century society and its values. It suggests that, despite the ways that things have changed and ‘improved’, there are still problematic ideological hangovers from the past. Which does sort of gel with other things in canon. Yes, things on the whole have improved, but I wouldn’t say that the Federation is the utopia it believes itself to be (or once believed itself to be).

For example, I think this is something that is quite well demonstrated in terms of Julian’s accent; he speaks with an RP accent (or close approximation), whereas neither his father nor his mother do. Now, I realise that I’m making a lot of assumptions here wrt Julian’s life and background, but the question of his accent is an incredibly interesting one, and does suggest certain class-based prejudices still run rampant in 24th century society. Both his parents’ accents are ostensibly regional. His father has a distinct cockney twang, for example. Julian’s accent, however, shows absolutely no trace whatsoever of his background (an odd thing), which leads me to assume that, at some point before he joined Starfleet, he lost his accent. Why? In a society that is supposed to be enlightened and all-accepting, what motivation exists to transition from a regional accent to an RP-like one? Admittedly, I am looking at this primarily from a UK perspective, and I do understand that regional accents and their connotations do differ in other countries, but surely in the future, the idea that regional accents must have all their rough edges smoothed away is one that I’d have hoped might have been left behind with other 21st century issues (because, let’s be honest here, it’s all heavily tied up with this problematic idea that accents and class (and class is a massive can of worms, isn't it?) are inextricably linked - at least in the UK).

Pick fucked around with this message at 02:17 on May 21, 2020

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
The idea 'augmentation makes you power-hungry' I think is potentially an unfortunate side effect of trying to combine the story of Space Seed with the later popular concept of genetic modification.

Khan isn't a vat grown super soldier because the writers didn't conceive of that possibility. He is an aristocrat, a celebrity, a rich politician of the elite. He is a charismatic monster that people obey because he is 'better' than us. The eugenics breeding program is perhaps better understood through the lens of class - the 'virtuous' warrior noble who for most of human history has controlled society. His people do not mix with ours, as the rich do not mix with the poor.

Edit: sorry for going offtopic, I forgot this was the tumblr thread lol

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I thought the implication was less that augmentation causes megalomania and more the augments grew up being told they were perfect supermen and it gave them an impossible standard to live up to, because if the're not being the perfect rulers of the galaxy then what are they good for? Bashir grew up knowing that was a shameful secret he had to keep, which hosed with his head in a different way.

There's a lot of missed opportunities with the augments, including that one TNG episode where another humanlike alien race had engineered super-soldier Rambos and then exiled them out of sight after the war was over and they all had PTSD.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

mossyfisk posted:

The idea 'augmentation makes you power-hungry' I think is potentially an unfortunate side effect of trying to combine the story of Space Seed with the later popular concept of genetic modification.

Khan isn't a vat grown super soldier because the writers didn't conceive of that possibility. He is an aristocrat, a celebrity, a rich politician of the elite. He is a charismatic monster that people obey because he is 'better' than us. The eugenics breeding program is perhaps better understood through the lens of class - the 'virtuous' warrior noble who for most of human history has controlled society. His people do not mix with ours, as the rich do not mix with the poor.

Edit: sorry for going offtopic, I forgot this was the tumblr thread lol

It's not off topic at all? :confused:

This thread is also for discussing what I find and bring over. What you had was good insight 100% applicable to that content.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer

Pick posted:

not so much the memes but people talk about it. there's a lot of... mixed feelings.

there are a lot of people who read it, but they mostly fall into two camps:

1. yay! any kind of content for Thing i like! out-of-context sentences that make spock/kirk sound credible! lwaxana gets her own book!! lwaxana meets q!!! wow wow wow!!!!!!

2. "these books are unconscionably bad" and/or when someone asks about ST canon someone saying "we never find out in the show. in the book [title], we find out he learned it by going to the mirror universe and banging a bit part character who showed up in one episode who can do risian karate now :rolleyes:"

The exception to this rule should always be "How Much for Just the Planet" by John M. Ford.

That book rules.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I thought the implication was less that augmentation causes megalomania and more the augments grew up being told they were perfect supermen and it gave them an impossible standard to live up to, because if the're not being the perfect rulers of the galaxy then what are they good for? Bashir grew up knowing that was a shameful secret he had to keep, which hosed with his head in a different way.

There's a lot of missed opportunities with the augments, including that one TNG episode where another humanlike alien race had engineered super-soldier Rambos and then exiled them out of sight after the war was over and they all had PTSD.

There's an alternate universe where the Augments and the Changelings covert wars to take over the Federation from the inside ran into one another and exploded into open conflict and I want to go there.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

mind the walrus posted:

There's an alternate universe where the Augments and the Changelings covert wars to take over the Federation from the inside ran into one another and exploded into open conflict and I want to go there.

Speaking of missed opportunities, the Dominion's whole thing is genetically modified servitor races, and the Jem'Hadar and sometimes Vorta are notably characterised as tragic figures because of what was done to them.

I think it might have been beta canon, but I'd absolutely believe the Changelings were the end stage of their own genetic modification program. I also like the idea that the Great Link is stagnant, while Laas demonstrates that their shapeshifting has possibly no skill ceiling and could put them on Q tier (or at least 'alien god of the week' tier) if they put in a few millennia of effort.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

There's a certain sense in that too, that no one even really knows the Dominion Founder race after Millennia of tampering and the Changelings just assumed the title.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

tumblr seems like a nicer place for discussion, and in general, than i was led to believe

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The Nazis and Chuds misrepresented something they disliked in the mainstream to sway popular opinion against it!? What is this world coming to when you can't trust a Nazi.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Tumblr's not perfect, but I'll take a bunch of teenagers with an imperfect understanding of leftist ideas over twitter"s straight up nazis.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

mind the walrus posted:

The Nazis and Chuds misrepresented something they disliked in the mainstream to sway popular opinion against it!? What is this world coming to when you can't trust a Nazi.

well, it was SA that gave me the impression that tumblr was the fandom midden heap of the net

so i guess i'm saying this post checks out

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Roth posted:

Tumblr's not perfect, but I'll take a bunch of teenagers with an imperfect understanding of leftist ideas over twitter"s straight up nazis.

whats an upnazi

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

hard counter posted:

well, it was SA that gave me the impression that tumblr was the fandom midden heap of the net

so i guess i'm saying this post checks out
tumblr has its awful side, but it's the same cherry-picked stuff the same way you can cherry pick ADTRW, the pedo mod, the zipline that kills children, the harm reduction subforum, and QCS and misrepresent that to mean all of SA.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The way tumblr works means there's entire huge communities that can be completely unaware of each other. From what I heard, fandom tumblr is usually alright and porn tumblr is great while progressive tumblr rapidly becomes a Mean Girls dumpster fire.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The nice (?) thing about Tumblr is that it's basically too dumb to monetize. There's no timestamps on posts, so when you find a blog you just have to guess if its most recent post was yesterday or 2011. For a while when you reblogged something you could just edit the reblog and pretend the OP said something else entirely.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

hard counter posted:

tumblr seems like a nicer place for discussion, and in general, than i was led to believe

tumblr is nice because, much like SA, no one has ever figured out how to monetize it in any way that makes sense. also posts are just chronological, they never found like... a better algorithm. chronological posts by the people you follow. no one can be an "influencer" on it. there are bad parts I assume but tbh you don't really run into them randomly. maybe once or twice you get a whiff but they're basically 100% invisible to you if you're just hanging out in your part.

anyway the humor is pretty great. I like it.

Pick fucked around with this message at 06:25 on May 25, 2020

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
though don't get me wrong... tumblr has one true passion...

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Roth posted:

i saw this one and thought of one of your posts

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That is depressingly relevant to Star Trek too. When I watch DS9 with some of my LGBT+ friends I have to put it in context "Ok so it's a dark spot but basically there is no G in space. There is sometimes LB, but only when they're aliens and only when it's "hot," and T+ exists but only when it's alien-aliens. This all comes mostly from one dude high up who found it "icky" even though there's no substantial record of anyone else on the productions giving much of a gently caress.

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.

Roth posted:

There are absolutely nazis on tumblr -- it's just that they generally stick to each other, or engage in fandoms that are already nazi-adjacent or dogwhistley.
And if you're unlucky enough to catch their attention... good luck :rip: tumblr's antiharrassment capabilities are very inadequate. (Admittedly not as bad as Twitter's, but.. that's not a compliment)

There's also poo poo like Columbine superfans that keep trying to get into the Doom community because one of the shooters made a few maps

The good parts of tumblr are really good, but it really suffers from incompetent and uncaring owners. Hopefully someone will someday make an ActivityPub-based clone.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Ayin posted:

There are absolutely nazis on tumblr -- it's just that they generally stick to each other, or engage in fandoms that are already nazi-adjacent or dogwhistley.
And if you're unlucky enough to catch their attention... good luck :rip: tumblr's antiharrassment capabilities are very inadequate. (Admittedly not as bad as Twitter's, but.. that's not a compliment)

There's also poo poo like Columbine superfans that keep trying to get into the Doom community because one of the shooters made a few maps

The good parts of tumblr are really good, but it really suffers from incompetent and uncaring owners. Hopefully someone will someday make an ActivityPub-based clone.

Oh, I'm aware. I used tumblr for a long time before deactivating my account last year.

They're a bit more hidden on tumblr compared to twitter, for better or worse. I still remember serial killer fandom types talking about how hot a white shoremacist shooter was on tumblr.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
also one thing is like, tumblr's rep is from about 10 years ago. but it's mostly got the same users, only fewer. so a lot of people on tumblr are old enough for older-person memes, like so:

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

mind the walrus posted:

That is depressingly relevant to Star Trek too. When I watch DS9 with some of my LGBT+ friends I have to put it in context "Ok so it's a dark spot but basically there is no G in space. There is sometimes LB, but only when they're aliens and only when it's "hot," and T+ exists but only when it's alien-aliens. This all comes mostly from one dude high up who found it "icky" even though there's no substantial record of anyone else on the productions giving much of a gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Pick posted:

though don't get me wrong... tumblr has one true passion...

Lol, what an ending!