Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, I'm done with Joe Bob outside of maybe revisiting some Monstervision episodes for nostalgia's sake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I watched his new show and he just rambles on and on and it just wasn’t funny and he sucks at reading off cue cards.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kvlt! posted:

the former. I remember people yelling at me to get psychiatric help itt when I was 14 and wanted extreme horror reccomendations and here we are 8 years down the line of watchinf the nastiest stuff I cam find and I've never hurt anybody or been violent or had the urge to.

Why, you wouldn't even harm a fly...

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I like Mike Flanagan.

I like Absentia but it's all downhill from there.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I will be your cultural gate keeper. Come and embrace my bosom as I guide you into the next 80 years of horror.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
if I’m gonna watch Halloween 6 should I watch the Producers Cut or the normal one? I’ve never seen either.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

gey muckle mowser posted:

if I’m gonna watch Halloween 6 should I watch the Producers Cut or the normal one? I’ve never seen either.

The normal one, although they're both bad.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
The only thing I'll give Joe Bob is that his weird little sing-a-longs are cute and catchy, and it kills me that John Bloom won't just... I mean shave off some of the hard edges of the character and he'd be fine. Your Dirty Redneck Uncle Cracks Dad Jokes About Horror is a fine concept, but he refuses to compromise or budge a single inch. Every time he's called out he starts to apologize and then just goes "gently caress it" and turns right back around and doubles down. And I promise I'll stop talking about him now, I just haven't been watching too much other horror lately.

Just waiting on my Al Adamson set to come in, gonna absolutely dive headfirst into that poo poo this Halloween season.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Lurdiak posted:

The normal one, although they're both bad.

yeah I’m not expecting much, but it’s the only one in the series I’ve never seen so I feel like I’m compelled to watch it. Thanks!

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

The normal cut has an exploding head in it, so that gets my vote

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Kvlt! posted:

the former. I remember people yelling at me to get psychiatric help itt when I was 14 and wanted extreme horror reccomendations and here we are 8 years down the line of watchinf the nastiest stuff I cam find and I've never hurt anybody or been violent or had the urge to.

Kvlt, I don't think you're a psychopath because you watch extreme horror films.

I think you're a psychopath because of the time you woke me up in the middle of the night, having broken into my house. A grimy, dirt covered, unfamiliar stranger made ragged and scarred. Your face was pressed up against mine, screaming at me. In a mountainous roar, "Stop it!" you strained. At one hip was a gun, the other a knife, with an empty bandolier across your chest. Those two harnesses were the only thing you wore. I gazed towards the ceiling, and on it were the words 'Stop watching', written in blood. Above my bed, 'Stop watching them'. I somehow wrangled my way onto the floor, where you pinned me, your shrieking becoming a long shrill, rage filled cry. Under my bed was the corpse of a dog. Whose I'm uncertain, but it certainly was his blood that decorated my walls. And finally on my door was the message, 'Stop giving Flanagan your money'. It was then I knew it was you.

I exclaimed, "I've never seen one of his movies!"

Your face dropped. Pained. Betrayed. You were still enraged, but the rage was no longer projected towards me, just projected. "Oculus!", you exclaimed not exactly as a question. I confirmed I hadn't. "Hush!" Again no. "Ouija! Gerald's Game! Doctor Sleep!", every single one on your list I had denied. "Haunting of Hill House!" I explained that I meant to check it out, but never gotten around to it. You even asked if I had seen Absentia, which I explained I had never even heard of that one. You spent the next four hours explaining each plot point, each scene, each shot, and every one you punctuated with "Which loving blows!" You marathoned the entire explanation breathlessly. You strained your already strained vocal chords, to the point where your spittle had become blood. And when you finally got to the end, you stared at me, expecting me to defy you. I only stared, and said that I definitely hadn't seen it.

You started hitting my walls, throwing yourself against them. I think you were trying to destroy my home. I could hear you in my kitchen, destroying all my plates and dishes, trying to hurt me the way I had apparently hurt you. Eventually I head a door slam, and I could see you getting into a burgandy 95 Astro Van, with the name 'Dragula' spray painted on the side with the calligraphy of a 5 year old. The only thing intact in your wake was a dvd of House of a 1000 Corpses you had left behind, etched with the words "watch this pposer" on the underside of the disc.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Jedit posted:

Why, you wouldn't even harm a fly...

Portrait of a Serial Kvlt!er

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

I’ve been rewatching Ash vs Evil Dead and am realizing I never actually seen anything past the first episode of season 2. S2E2 has one of the grossest effects/scenes I’ve seen in anything, holy poo poo. in the morgue where the corpse forces Ash’s head up it’s rear end and it’s dick is flopping in his face, lol

That scene is awesomely gross and also the one that supposedly got the showrunner fired by Rob Tapert.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

yeah I’m not expecting much, but it’s the only one in the series I’ve never seen so I feel like I’m compelled to watch it. Thanks!

Halloween 6 trip report: maybe it’s only because I was expecting total crap, but... I kinda liked it? It’s a mess for sure but it was also much more entertaining than 4 or 5 were to me.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I’m having issues with the Shudder app on iOS, my subscription lapsed at the end of October 2019 and I decided to go for an annual membership and renew it through the Subscriptions settings in iOS yesterday, but the Shudder app isn’t acknowledging the subscription. Has anyone else had this happen?

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Xenomrph posted:

I’m having issues with the Shudder app on iOS, my subscription lapsed at the end of October 2019 and I decided to go for an annual membership and renew it through the Subscriptions settings in iOS yesterday, but the Shudder app isn’t acknowledging the subscription. Has anyone else had this happen?

Was your old subscription also through iOS? I had some issues doing it that way and it worked better when I switched to getting it directly from Shudder.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Halloween 6 trip report: maybe it’s only because I was expecting total crap, but... I kinda liked it? It’s a mess for sure but it was also much more entertaining than 4 or 5 were to me.

4 is a better movie for sure all of the way around, but 6 is better than 5 due to those issues of boring as hell and just bad vs. fascinatingly wrong but at least trying for something. 5,6, and 8 and the trifecta of rotating worst Halloween movies.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
The mask also looks pretty okay in six after being pretty lovely for two movies.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Was your old subscription also through iOS? I had some issues doing it that way and it worked better when I switched to getting it directly from Shudder.

Yeah, the old subscription was also through iOS. How did you fix it? You’d better believe Apple/iTunes took my money.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Xenomrph posted:

I've had nothing but trouble with the Shudder app. Still not sure if it's something with the app, my tablet, or both. Going through the website on my computer or the laptop's been just fine.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Timeless Appeal posted:

The mask also looks pretty okay in six after being pretty lovely for two movies.

One of the most fascinating things to me about the Halloween series is how badly they kept loving up the mask in movie after movie, considering that for the original they just bought it off a shelf for like $10, made a couple changes, and painted it white.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Darko posted:

4 is a better movie for sure all of the way around, but 6 is better than 5 due to those issues of boring as hell and just bad vs. fascinatingly wrong but at least trying for something. 5,6, and 8 and the trifecta of rotating worst Halloween movies.

I liked 4 well enough but a lot of it felt like a retread of 1/2. It’s probably fair to say it’s the better film, but 6 was more interesting to me even with all the bad parts.

Xenomrph posted:

Yeah, the old subscription was also through iOS. How did you fix it? You’d better believe Apple/iTunes took my money.

I don’t have a fix unfortunately, I just cancelled because I wasn’t really using it at the time anyway, and then later on signed up with a new account through Shudder’s website. I had a hard time unsubscribing in the first place though, it wouldn’t show up under my subscriptions even though I was getting billed for it. Apple’s interface for it sucks.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I liked 4 well enough but a lot of it felt like a retread of 1/2. It’s probably fair to say it’s the better film, but 6 was more interesting to me even with all the bad parts.

That's very easy to see. My least favorite is 2, which I absolutely hate for following the 1st movie with a weak Friday the 13th/Italian horror wannabee, adding the stupid sibling thing and "he's somehow magically tied into Halloween maybe" and then wasting Curtis by having her do absolutely nothing but crawl around for half a movie. It's probably "objectively" better than 4, but I hate it more because i tend to dislike wastes, bad turns, and missed opportunities.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Hey SuperMechaGodzilla, you recommended several found footage movies a while back. For the life of me, I could not find anywhere to stream them. One of them is literally called DVD which is basically impossible to google. Do you know what streaming sites they’re on?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
The DVD is on prime apparently. At least according to the director's website.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

The greatest benefit to Halloween 6 is that it comes straight after 5 which makes it seem like a step up if you're watching them in order, it's still not good though. The theatrical cut of 6 seems to collapse and give up on itself at the end (not seen the producer's), the way the ending is put together has a definite "doing your homework on the bus on your way to school vibe."

To rank them all for me it would be:
Halloween (Carpenter)
Halloween (Green)
Halloween II (Zombie)
Halloween III
H20
Halloween 4
Halloween II (Rosenthal)
Halloween (Zombie)
Halloween 6
Halloween Resurrection
Halloween 5

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Kvlt, I don't think you're a psychopath because you watch extreme horror films.

I think you're a psychopath because of the time you woke me up in the middle of the night, having broken into my house. A grimy, dirt covered, unfamiliar stranger made ragged and scarred. Your face was pressed up against mine, screaming at me. In a mountainous roar, "Stop it!" you strained. At one hip was a gun, the other a knife, with an empty bandolier across your chest. Those two harnesses were the only thing you wore. I gazed towards the ceiling, and on it were the words 'Stop watching', written in blood. Above my bed, 'Stop watching them'. I somehow wrangled my way onto the floor, where you pinned me, your shrieking becoming a long shrill, rage filled cry. Under my bed was the corpse of a dog. Whose I'm uncertain, but it certainly was his blood that decorated my walls. And finally on my door was the message, 'Stop giving Flanagan your money'. It was then I knew it was you.

I exclaimed, "I've never seen one of his movies!"

Your face dropped. Pained. Betrayed. You were still enraged, but the rage was no longer projected towards me, just projected. "Oculus!", you exclaimed not exactly as a question. I confirmed I hadn't. "Hush!" Again no. "Ouija! Gerald's Game! Doctor Sleep!", every single one on your list I had denied. "Haunting of Hill House!" I explained that I meant to check it out, but never gotten around to it. You even asked if I had seen Absentia, which I explained I had never even heard of that one. You spent the next four hours explaining each plot point, each scene, each shot, and every one you punctuated with "Which loving blows!" You marathoned the entire explanation breathlessly. You strained your already strained vocal chords, to the point where your spittle had become blood. And when you finally got to the end, you stared at me, expecting me to defy you. I only stared, and said that I definitely hadn't seen it.

You started hitting my walls, throwing yourself against them. I think you were trying to destroy my home. I could hear you in my kitchen, destroying all my plates and dishes, trying to hurt me the way I had apparently hurt you. Eventually I head a door slam, and I could see you getting into a burgandy 95 Astro Van, with the name 'Dragula' spray painted on the side with the calligraphy of a 5 year old. The only thing intact in your wake was a dvd of House of a 1000 Corpses you had left behind, etched with the words "watch this pposer" on the underside of the disc.

Oh that's just how he flirts

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Wait, half an hour in and this is what Piranha is?? I had assumed it was a pretty straightforward Jaws ripoff. Nobody told me there were stop-motion atrocities of science in this thing!!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

feedmyleg posted:

Wait, half an hour in and this is what Piranha is?? I had assumed it was a pretty straightforward Jaws ripoff. Nobody told me there were stop-motion atrocities of science in this thing!!

I had the same exact reaction when I watched it last month. I felt bad for underestimating Dante.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Reminder that Universal tried suing Dante for lifting JAWS's iconography, but Stephen Spielberg investigated and said "nah this poo poo slaps" and adopted Dante and gave him Gremlins.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

That seems spurious but unsurprising for Universal who tried to sue Nintendo due to their claim that Donkey Kong infringed upon the copyright of King Kong, except bafflingly they didn't actually own King Kong so they lost.

They did however successfully manage to get The Last Shark (a.k.a Great White) pulled from cinemas due to being too close to Jaws. I believe it's on YouTube though and I keep meaning to get to it.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Karloff posted:

That seems spurious but unsurprising for Universal who tried to sue Nintendo due to their claim that Donkey Kong infringed upon the copyright of King Kong, except bafflingly they didn't actually own King Kong so they lost.

They did however successfully manage to get The Last Shark (a.k.a Great White) pulled from cinemas due to being too close to Jaws. I believe it's on YouTube though and I keep meaning to get to it.

Sid Sheinberg was a seasoned attorney put in charge of Universal in the 70s/80s and at the time was famously litigious. He literally said "I view litigation as a profit center"

He was the one that fought a protracted legal battle with Terry Gilliam over the final cut of Brazil that spilled over to the industry rags. He also insisted that Back to the Future be called "Space Man from Pluto" until Spielberg acted like it was a big joke and laughed at him until he relented.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Lurdiak posted:

Joe Bob ... instead of just... going "Check it out gorehounds, a geyser of gore gushes onto some ripe mammaries in this new Freakfest from Troma!" like the enthusiast press.

that's literally exactly what Joe Bob's thing was though :v:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Maybe he shouldn’t exist. Did he ever think about that

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Okay had to pause for a bit but finished Piranha. Super bummed that the part I was excited about went absolutely nowhere and then the film did just become a Jaws ripoff after. Still, the movie is way cooler for having it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I was real excited about Piranha when I saw... that... early on and then like... it just never comes up again.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
I just watched The Blackcoat's Daughter and I thought the first half did a really good job of building up a sense of dread and then it just...didn't connect, at all. It was an A24 flick I think so maybe this isn't surprising.

Also I fuckin loved The Void. I might watch it a second time after reading everyone talking about it in this thread.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Dr. Loomis is at his most unhinged in 5 and it's super entertaining. Also there's that scene where Michael steals a sweet rear end car that might be my favourite non-original movie Myers kill.

https://twitter.com/RobbJayne/status/1263277427868012545

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I basically feel like the highs are higher in the Halloween franchise but the lows are way lower as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Yeah I think I like 5 more than 6 just for the maximum Loomis content, but it's kind of boring any time he's not on screen or when Michael isn't killing someone. The whole set up and payoff with Mikey and the car is great though.

Triple feature sync-watching a bunch of zombie movies today with some relatives while video chatting, a great evening. Re-Animator and Day of the Dead so far, watching Return of the Living Dead now. I forgot how loving awesome Day is, I think I might like it more than Dawn.