Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lukevictorious
Mar 31, 2019

this is the water

John Wick of Dogs posted:

At the end of Tuvix they split them apart but instead of Tuvok and Neelix they get two Tuvixes who turn to Janeway and point and shout in unison "We are Fourvix"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

i'm watching through enterprise again and I am *so* fuckin mad that its so much better than discovery and picard.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

CubanMissile posted:

Watching House of Quark and getting a kick out of Gowron and the High Council trying to read spreadsheets.

That may be the funniest 30 seconds of Star Trek.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The Klingon Quark episodes somehow manage to be both top 10 Quark episodes and top 10 Klingon episodes. They own and Grilka should have shown up more often.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I'll never understand people who complain about Ferengi episodes of DS9. They're all good and fun and I don't care what anyone says.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Drone posted:

I'll never understand people who complain about Ferengi episodes of DS9. They're all good and fun and I don't care what anyone says.

The one (you know which one) is a tad hosed up

But generally they're great, yes

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
It still boggles my mind that Gene thought they’d be the ultimate TNG enemy, something to rival the Klingons and Romulans, and then they ended up being the default comic relief characters from like TNG S2 onwards.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Drone posted:

DS9 put in a lot of work to rehabilitate the Ferengi from the little comedy relief squirts they generally tended to be in TNG. Quark and Rom alone showed how nuanced Ferengi could be when they were written with care, and not just used as lazy monsters-of-the-week.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It still boggles my mind that Gene thought they’d be the ultimate TNG enemy, something to rival the Klingons and Romulans, and then they ended up being the default comic relief characters from like TNG S2 onwards.

(Sorry to double post)

It's hilarious in retrospect. Encounter At Farpoint had all that stuff about the Ferengi eating their foes and being fearsome enemies. Then along came The Last Outpost and they were a complete joke. I think it still ranks as one of the biggest flops in Star Trek history.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 18:41 on May 23, 2020

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Gene thought they’d be the ultimate TNG enemy

they have big-dick energy (according to Rod'n'berries) so...

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It seems obvious now that the first group with the laser whip and the furs and growling were just a pack of ferengi rednecks in their space lifted pickemup truck

I mean, that wasn't the intention at the time obviously and it IS hilarious that they made that episode and thought anything about them was good or menacing to the federation

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I love how in a later episode someone asks Quark about that and he says something like “oh yeah we made all that poo poo up just to sell toys”.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Drone posted:

The Nagus in particular is one of those characters that are very enjoyable, but are kind of over-the-top, so a little goes a long way and it's probably a good thing they don't turn up more often than they do.

You know, like Lwaxana, or Worf's parents, or honestly even Q.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Hey Wallace, can you dial it back a little

Lmao

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Simon Pegg has effectively confirmed that any future Trek movies are dead and that ViacomCBS is focusing on TV for the current moment.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I do think it was a mistake to completely defang the Ferengi in DS9.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Arglebargle III posted:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

you're welcome

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Timby posted:

Simon Pegg has effectively confirmed that any future Trek movies are dead and that ViacomCBS is focusing on TV for the current moment.

this makes me sad. I honestly wanted a follow up to Beyond.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

So I'm doing a rewatch of Voyager and it only took me 7 episodes to find one so dull that I decided to not even bother to leave it on in the background. Ex Post Facto is such a dull episode of Star Trek.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

John Wick of Dogs posted:

At the end of Tuvix they split them apart but instead of Tuvok and Neelix they get two Tuvixes who turn to Janeway and point and shout in unison "We are Fourvix"

I'm seeing double here. Eightvix !

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Drone posted:

they have big-dick energy

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

one of the biggest flops in Star Trek

That's the stuff

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Is that the one that's obviously a TNG script with Paris pasted into Riker's spot?

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Arivia posted:

this makes me sad. I honestly wanted a follow up to Beyond.

Yeah I feel like they had just figured out what those movies could be with Beyond. Welp, that's 21st century Star Trek for you!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

The purpose of the Ferengi was specifically to give the Federation an easy enemy to beat up and do wheelies around.

That can only last so long.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Timby posted:

Not at all shocked here

It would be really hard to get the studio to agree to bring all of those actors back at higher pay for a film that the studio was pretty lukewarm about making

I did want to see what Tarantino's Trek film script would have been (not sure if it was ever actually written though).

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Drone posted:

I used to be this guy, but on a second watch I really liked them. Still kind of torn on Vic though.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Also got to the end of season 5 and Nog calling Leeta Moogie wrecked me

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I love how in a later episode someone asks Quark about that and he says something like “oh yeah we made all that poo poo up just to sell toys”.

What, really? It's been long enough since my last re-watch that I could plausibly have forgotten this.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Hipster_Doofus posted:

What, really? It's been long enough since my last re-watch that I could plausibly have forgotten this.

Is that the one where quark is trying to sell dolls of the crew and Captain sisko is like hell no and quark is all come on captain we can just put some quark's ads like right before each communication you won't even know they're there and the the both mug for the camera.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

There was something about Ferengi action figures one time, one of them is a figure of those first-gen laser whip models from the Playmates line :laugh:

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Drone posted:

My only complaint is that The Magnificent Ferengi didn’t have seven of them and no one had a laser whip. :(

Arglebargle III posted:

Not completely defanged. Quark has a higher jem’hader body count than probably most Klingons.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTAIET765Ts

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

McSpanky posted:

There was something about Ferengi action figures one time, one of them is a figure of those first-gen laser whip models from the Playmates line :laugh:

Wasn’t that ‘Ferengi Love Songs’, where Quark found his mother kept his action figures from when he was young, and she berated him for taking them out of their original packaging?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I think it was actually an Armin Shimerman action figure from their first appearance on TNG and they played it off as Quark's own childhood toy

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

https://twitter.com/STDeltaShift/status/1264357007240372227?s=09

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

quote:

Marauder Mo was originally mentioned in Ira Steven Behr and Robert Hewitt Wolfe's novel Legends of the Ferengi. Behr commented, "The Marauder Mo, Quark's boyhood toy, came directly out of the book." (AOL chat, 1997) Ishka's admonishing remark to Quark about not saving the action figures in their original packaging was a gentle in-joke dig at Behr, who was an avid collector of action figures and felt it was vitally important for his figures to remain unopened, so that their commercial value wouldn't decrease. (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Companion, p. 446)

The Marauder Mo action figures were designed by John Eaves. He drew a concept sketch of the figures, dated January 1997. (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Companion, p. 446) Eaves named the figures "Slug the Looser", "Lorg Lattinum" and "Braq the Big Spender". (Deep Space Nine Sketchbook: John Eaves, DS9 Season 5 DVD special features) He also made a box full of the action figures, which turned out to be very popular with the members of DS9's production staff, including Laura Richarz. "They were so cool, everybody wanted one," she concluded. (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Companion, p. 446)

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Ira being some mint-in-box weirdo explains a whole lot.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Only four more years until the Bell Riots. The timeline is intact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

CubanMissile posted:

Only four more years until the Bell Riots. The timeline is intact.
Well we're definitely going to have a homeless problem here in a matter of months thanks to the government just deciding that we don't need to take any action to keep people in their homes