Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
banging pots and pans in the street to honor the service of essential worker langston galloway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

constant blue angel flyovers stop kyrie from braving the streets to avoid the chemtrails

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

MourningView posted:

we will not truly be back as a nation unless I can watch the detroit pistons play at Disney world to determine who has best odds for the sixth pick in the draft

We need to Se-kou som Bouya

Thank you

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

https://twitter.com/NBA/status/1264240604197924865?s=19

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Metapod looks at his team's playoff seeding and decides anything below 6 is not essential

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
It's better if they don't but I unironically want to see these poo poo Hornets play more

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

WhyteRyce posted:

Metapod looks at his team's playoff seeding and decides anything below 6 is not essential

If you want to have your 4 team playin tournament whatever but do we really need the added risk to see cavs play or the warriors play or the spurs play???

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Metapod posted:

If you want to have your 4 team playin tournament whatever but do we really need the added risk to see cavs play or the warriors play or the spurs play???

You could always just not watch that game if you don't want to

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

WhyteRyce posted:

You could always just not watch that game if you don't want to

I am not strong enough not to watch a Suns/Magic preseason game.

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

If a team wanted to be in the playoffs they should've won more games. Seems pretty simple to me!

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
That's not the point though. You add more people you add more risk that someone gets the virus. Why risk having Julius Randle give Giannis Corona? What benefit outside of profit does that give? We played 60+ game season that's a good sample we know how good these teams are.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

If safety is your actual concern then shut the whole thing down because all of this reopening poo poo at this point is half baked blind leaps of faith

the sixth seed is no less arbitrary than the 8th seed doesn't really stand that much better chance of winning either so why don't you just cut it to top four of each conference then if you really want to minimize the number of players

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 19:58 on May 23, 2020

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Yes this should not happen at all

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

Metapod posted:

That's not the point though. You add more people you add more risk that someone gets the virus. Why risk having Julius Randle give Giannis Corona? What benefit outside of profit does that give? We played 60+ game season that's a good sample we know how good these teams are.

Yeah, and let's use SRS to account for the uneven schedules teams have played:

e: oh man, all the storylines in the WC first round playoffs if this happened

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

WhyteRyce posted:

If safety is your actual concern then shut the whole thing down because all of this reopening poo poo at this point is half baked blind leaps of faith

the sixth seed is no less arbitrary than the 8th seed doesn't really stand that much better chance of winning either so why don't you just cut it to top four of each conference then if you really want to minimize the number of players

The 7th seed has the best offense ever, has one less win than the 4 seed, and has played several more games than 4-6th seeds. The season ended too early to say which lower seeds in the west don’t have a chance. Especially with a several month stop in play.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Thank you Mark Price for helping me drop 16 3s in NBA JAM TOURNAMENT EDITION and making my friend very very mad

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
Ignoring the whole "why are we re-opening anything just now" thing, I don't really care what they do cuz in my head the season was aborted and whatever scheme they come up with to finish it is just a weird exhibition thing

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
i wanted Alex Caruso to get a ring :(

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Kibner posted:

Yeah, and let's use SRS to account for the uneven schedules teams have played:

e: oh man, all the storylines in the WC first round playoffs if this happened

Lol they would never do this

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

Metapod posted:

Lol they would never do this

Just because something won't happen, won't make me stop dreaming of it. Much like a CP3 championship.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Kibner posted:

Just because something won't happen, won't make me stop dreaming of it. Much like a CP3 championship.

cp3 is winning a championship because ive decided that the new arbitrary rule is every team must play a 34 year old for 30 minutes every game

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Metapod posted:

cp3 is winning a championship because ive decided that the new arbitrary rule is every team must play a 34 year old for 30 minutes every game

Let me tell you about a well rested LeBron James

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Cool Buff Man posted:

Let me tell you about a well rested LeBron James

he has to play with rondo and kuzma every minute hes on the court just got that signed off

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Very conflicted about this tweet

https://twitter.com/jackfrank_jjf/status/1264201920673177605?s=21

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
So i was reading some data and Lebron is on route to be the biggest point dude in NBA history. The longevity of the dude is wild.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

hes not just good at points. hes good at many stats

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Kevon Looney Undergoes Season-Ending Surgery
https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2020/05/kevon-looney-undergoes-season-ending-surgery.html

euphronius posted:

They will start cAmp, guys will get roni, camps will close

The end

Yes, I will remain skeptical until I see Giannis, Kawhi or LBJ hoist the championship trophy above his head.

NBA players also have large lungs and will be taking very large inhalations and exhalations of viruses during a game. Increased carbon dioxide output coupled with increased yelling will agitate the most potent viruses from the deepest parts of the lungs.

:hmmyes:

WhyteRyce posted:

...so why don't you just cut it to top four of each conference then if you really want to minimize the number of players

There is a very high likelihood of a top 2 seed winning this year.

There's no precedent for even teams like BOS, MIA, DEN or UTA winning it.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

It means Hail to the King and Hail Satan. And we can now start calling Draymond Green "Mr. Slurpee" as an official nickname.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Declan MacManus posted:

does that mean exhibition stuff and right to the playoffs then or are they just straight up going to the playoffs

If they go straight to the playoffs it will the sloppiest high-stakes basketball we'll ever see. I imagine the most elite players will be okay but it'll look like they're playing in ugly NCAA scrums at times.

chunkles posted:

i'll allow it in the name of dunking on children

I just realized that the NFL would be more interesting if all the players had to wear helmets with face shields hooked up to oxygen tanks. Many years ago LaDainian Tomlinson wore a mask with a tinted shield. And he wore a rain poncho while he was on the sidelines. Together it made him look like Darth Vader. No one had any idea what was going on under there.

Metapod posted:

kd was taking more in those last four years as well

The overarching issue is that KD should've been taking even more shots. RW with a 3P% in the 20s and KD with a 3P% in the 40s as one example. KD also having a noticeably higher FT% in many seasons too.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Silver Wants Best-Of-Seven Playoff Series If Season Resumes
https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2020/05/silver-wants-best-of-seven-playoff-series-if-season-resumes.html

Lockback posted:

I don't know why you'd think guys would be at dramatically more risk in late June of getting sick vs anywhere else in the country that will be mostly open at that point.

The possibility of more closures and/or significant mutations always exists. Back in the 1918-1920 pandemic the first wave of attack decimated the older pop/sicker population and then things opened back up because
everyone thought it was over.

Then a second wave hit with a mutation that was deadliest to those in the 18-25 age bracket (and pregnant women) in that it induced cytokine storms. So those with the best immune systems (aged 18-25) became overloaded and it also pitted baby against mother. In short, matricide at the cellular level.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Metapod posted:

This season is interesting because a big enough gap of time has passed that an older elite player could theoretically hit the wall during this downtime.

In a matter of months LBJs alleles and telomeres may have aged past the point of no return.

Spacebump posted:

The 7th seed has the best offense ever, has one less win than the 4 seed, and has played several more games than 4-6th seeds. The season ended too early to say which lower seeds in the west don’t have a chance. Especially with a several month stop in play.

Yes, this extended layoff could produce a lot of unpredictability in games between teams in the 3-8 seed range.

In the shortened 1999 season the 8 seed Knicks made it to the finals which was very abnormal. Imagine Giannis gets SARS-CoV-2 and then KD returns to BRK. Nets losing in the finals just like Up circle predicted.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I don't think there really is a safe way to reopen at this time we are just fooling ourselves or at best minimizing fallout. The NBA shutting down might have been what helped make this nation take it seriously, reopening can easily send the wrong message

But if you are going ahead with this, as a huge fan of the Fast and Furious franchise I say lean the gently caress into the hot mess and embrace it. Cleveland making the playoffs is no worse than bringing Han back from the dead

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
im going to open hand pimp slap stephen wardell curry in minecraft

the BEST part of any summer basketball camp was the last day; from early until late is a 3 on 3 and a 5 on 5 tournament. You'd play hard all day, putting all your newfound skills to use against kids from all around, hopefully with a local friend on your team. After winners were crowned you'd eat pizza and drink soda pop drinks on the gym floor, then sleep the best sleep of your life, exhausted and hopefully a picayune champion. This is how the NBA should do it, single elimination tourney with children representing the teams

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Because this season is going to have an asterisk anyway I say to finally give the baby its bottle and do the single elimination so we can see how dumb it is when like the Pacers win a title.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

If you ever want to have a serious, in-season tournament with meaningful stakes, you'll have no better opportunity or justification than right now.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
What nets will be available to play in July?

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Rick posted:

Because this season is going to have an asterisk anyway I say to finally give the baby its bottle and do the single elimination so we can see how dumb it is when like the Pacers win a title.

Pacers cant win that many games in a row.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Han didn’t come back ?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

WhyteRyce posted:

I don't think there really is a safe way to reopen at this time we are just fooling ourselves or at best minimizing fallout. The NBA shutting down might have been what helped make this nation take it seriously, reopening can easily send the wrong message

But if you are going ahead with this, as a huge fan of the Fast and Furious franchise I say lean the gently caress into the hot mess and embrace it. Cleveland making the playoffs is no worse than bringing Han back from the dead

They're making plans for two months from now, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/son_ofadeitch/status/1264309380503220224?s=19