Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The state of xCloud is a tad weird in that the work remaining doesn’t strike me as particularly daunting other than the “legal” stuff.

Apple is being really cagey about letting them stream. Right now you can only access it via “test flight” which is an app designed for beta testing, and the only game it lets you stream is Halo MCC; it doesn’t even let you stream from your console. On Android it gives you a library of something over 50 titles (mostly vanilla versions but it does actually recognize DLC you own which is cool), and lets you stream from your console. Unlike Stadia, this works on basically any Android device; my Sony Xperia is stuck on some ancient version of Android due to its age and handles it no problem.

They don’t have xCloud accessible from PC yet but they do have console streaming working, so unlike the original XB1 DRM this really would be a question of just flipping a switch to enable it over the cloud.

I think there’s some legal shenanigans in play they’re trying to suss out, possibly to ensure all games can be streamed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
All it takes is a cursory glance at the TV streaming ecosystem to extrapolate that game streaming would eventually just be awful for consumers.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

leftist heap posted:

All it takes is a cursory glance at the TV streaming ecosystem to extrapolate that game streaming would eventually just be awful for consumers.

The existence of the streaming market didn’t affect physical releases of movies and TV shows, at least.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

univbee posted:

The state of xCloud is a tad weird in that the work remaining doesn’t strike me as particularly daunting other than the “legal” stuff.

Apple is being really cagey about letting them stream. Right now you can only access it via “test flight” which is an app designed for beta testing, and the only game it lets you stream is Halo MCC; it doesn’t even let you stream from your console. On Android it gives you a library of something over 50 titles (mostly vanilla versions but it does actually recognize DLC you own which is cool), and lets you stream from your console. Unlike Stadia, this works on basically any Android device; my Sony Xperia is stuck on some ancient version of Android due to its age and handles it no problem.

They don’t have xCloud accessible from PC yet but they do have console streaming working, so unlike the original XB1 DRM this really would be a question of just flipping a switch to enable it over the cloud.

I think there’s some legal shenanigans in play they’re trying to suss out, possibly to ensure all games can be streamed.

I'd be curious to see if anyone planning a push into streamed gaming has dialed back their plans a little after watching what COVID-19 did to global bandwidth usage just from streaming video worldwide. Because those numbers would not be pretty for any kind of mass-market streamed gaming plan, and there's no way to get around it.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

Stadia was all an op to make second wave services look good.

stadia is itself a second wave service and it makes first wave services look good

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'd be curious to see if anyone planning a push into streamed gaming has dialed back their plans a little after watching what COVID-19 did to global bandwidth usage just from streaming video worldwide. Because those numbers would not be pretty for any kind of mass-market streamed gaming plan, and there's no way to get around it.

Wouldn’t surprise me given that they’ve throttled back XBL and PSN as-is.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
My problem with streaming is that I sacrifice a ton of control for very little gain.

By having the hardware, I don't need to worry about my internet. I don't need to worry if Stadia goes down for maintenance. I pay once and I have permanent access, and you're loving kidding yourself if there isn't going to be some price associated with the free tier of Stadia (maybe I can only play a limited amount, maybe I can only play recently released games, maybe I get into aqueue, maybe I have ads).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cemetry Gator posted:

My problem with streaming is that I sacrifice a ton of control for very little gain.

By having the hardware, I don't need to worry about my internet. I don't need to worry if Stadia goes down for maintenance. I pay once and I have permanent access, and you're loving kidding yourself if there isn't going to be some price associated with the free tier of Stadia (maybe I can only play a limited amount, maybe I can only play recently released games, maybe I get into aqueue, maybe I have ads).

I think something that' might also kill interest is just remembering the BIG Sony PSN outage and recognizing that could easily happen to a streamed gaming service.

Or just having played literally any online game and knowing what it's like staring down that dreaded scheduled maintenance window.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
remember when gamers got real upset about things like always online DRM for single player games

remember the xbone announcement

what happened to us

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I've pointed it out before and will probably point it out again, but the guy in charge of the XB1 launch is currently in charge of the Stadia. He was also in charge of the PS3.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Xbox live just went down I think yesterday night and this happens like 5-6 times a year. And Microsoft is what, one of the top three server/cloud providers?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

remember when gamers got real upset about things like always online DRM for single player games

what happened to us

We became parents and husbands who have to hide away in the attic to get our game time in away from our savage children and harpy wives.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ineffiable posted:

Xbox live just went down I think yesterday night and this happens like 5-6 times a year. And Microsoft is what, one of the top three server/cloud providers?

I saw it reported thats its been down very frequently recently.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2020/5/22/21267983/xbox-live-down-outage-microsoft-365-issues

Weedle
May 31, 2006

"office 355" is a running joke in enterprise it

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

what happened to us

We won on both those things though?

Even after the xbone 180 it was a dead system until MS dropped kinect and started competing harder on value & good games.

Always online DRM for SP games sucked and got killed. The publishers brought it back in the form of making everything into a multiplayer co-op live service game, but that's less about DRM and more about additional monetization.

These live service games are successful because they're the modern MMO, and a way better deal than paying for a WoW subscription. Lots of people want a mindless thing to grind on for a few hundred hours. If you don't like live service games (I don't either) just remember their achilles heel is they compete with themselves way harder than normal SP games. Publishers who put out too many of these things (Ubisoft) will eventually realize that people aren't going to play more than one or two of them per year.

The thing that we lost on is bad value Horse Armor DLC, and that's because F2P microtransation games came along and normalized a much higher level of deviance.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

MechaCrash posted:

I've pointed it out before and will probably point it out again, but the guy in charge of the XB1 launch is currently in charge of the Stadia. He was also in charge of the PS3.

He's kind of the perfect fit for Stadia based on his career. He was constantly, constantly harping on about the death of the console, everything going digital, nothing but multiplayer games, etc.

Things Phil Harrison has said also include (paraphrased):

- "I don't think consumers want to play games without some type of network connectivity in them"
- The PlayStation 3's launch has gone better than the PS1, the PS2 or that of any other competing system ever"
- "Rumble is a last-gen feature, motion sensitivity is the future"
- "We weren't even looking at Nintendo's hardware when designing the PSP, those formats don't appear in our planning"
- The DS touch screen will have the lasting impact of a gimmick"
- "Xbox One and Kinect are the same, they are not separate systems"

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Holy poo poo I forgot about the launch PS3 controller not having rumble and the motion controls that were absolutely unusable.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!
I'll give him that, I don't give a poo poo about rumble

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Xakura posted:

I'll give him that, I don't give a poo poo about rumble

It’s one of those things that I’m so used to it feels weird when it’s not there. It’s not something I actively enjoy but I’ve been conditioned to expect it.

Motion controls suck poo poo for anything besides VR though.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

It's mostly that Sony had it for its previous two consoles (well, one and a half) and then for the PS3, because they were involved in a lawsuit regarding the rumble feature, decided to just write it off as "You don't actually want this thing now, it's bad and dumb, you'll have a lot more fun waving the controller around while playing Lair".

Lazy Robot
Jan 18, 2001

yospos
Just a general observation about a lot of the quotes posted in this thread: What is with the type of weirdo that is into Stadia (and Star Citizen) and the attitude that "more words = more correct". Like, why the hell is somebody posting a ten paragraph persuasive essay on the internet about anything?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Lazy Robot posted:

Just a general observation about a lot of the quotes posted in this thread: What is with the type of weirdo that is into Stadia (and Star Citizen) and the attitude that "more words = more correct". Like, why the hell is somebody posting a ten paragraph persuasive essay on the internet about anything?

You think I’m going to collect the paycheck if I take a commission and only write 20 words?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

Most of everything Google has killed off has been merged into other apps. Not sure what the deal is.

Stadia isn't going anywhere. Maybe it'll merge into something else like YouTube for a stronger brand name but it won't be killed off.

quote:

Its always making me laugh when people accuse Google of shutting down stuff. All of their cancelled projects were free, google glass wasn't even released and I'm pretty sure they r still developing it for professional use like surgeons etc. They gave us Google Earth (now with free VR support!), Maps (free gps) and now free gaming platform.

You r saying that you don't have to worry for Microsoft... You have very short memory then, first xbox was abandoned very quickly for the sake of x360, kinect? Phones?

quote:

Not only Microsoft abandoned projects, they were projects customers had to spend money on. When Google shut something down people did not loose money. With Stadia they secured deals with publishers, bought new studios and people have to invest in platform. They won't shut it down.

quote:

When I look at the Google graveyard list I'm actually optimistic it looks like Google gives a whole bunch of ideas a chance and a lot of ideas that really don't deserve a chance. then they pull the good ideas out of it all and coalesce it into bigger services. Stadia is a pretty big investment on their end I don't think that it is analogous to the things that they have put in the graveyard. It's slowly gaining more popularity as people actually try it.

quote:

I feel like the whole 'Google kills everything' stems from people's discomfort with not having a physical or downloaded copy of something they purchased. Like imagine if you had to buy individual songs on Spotify but couldn't download them to your device. But people have taken that sentiment and now it's almost a meme they use to argue against literally anything about Stadia just because Google had some bumps here and there. I agree that Google doesn't kill everything, especially when they have paying customers.

That being said, as I've mentioned before, I am confident in the future of Stadia. People don't like change but whether you like it or not cloud gaming is the future.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

leftist heap posted:

Hasn’t piracy shot back up again because people will pay for one or two services at most, and just pirate the rest?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mirificus posted:

You r saying that you don't have to worry for Microsoft... You have very short memory then, first xbox was abandoned very quickly for the sake of x360,

... the Xbox lasted as long as basically all the other 6th gen consoles. The gently caress is this person on about?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Xbox original had 2+ years less life than ps2 and a year and change less than gcn

Q4 2001-q4 2005 is a blip

Ps2: q1 2000-q42006
Gcn: q3 2001-q4 2006

It was last in and first out

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 21:03 on May 23, 2020

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Mirificus posted:

Its always making me laugh when people accuse Google of shutting down stuff. All of their cancelled projects were free, google glass wasn't even released and I'm pretty sure they r still developing it for professional use like surgeons etc. They gave us Google Earth (now with free VR support!), Maps (free gps) and now free gaming platform.

I'm sure surgeons would want to rely on the precision and stability of a Google product.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
And don't forget that they've ditched all future plans for new Google Fiber installations because they ran into one problem (that they created themselves, through mind-numbing stupidity and incompetence!) and couldn't be bothered to fix it. I would imagine that they're already making plans to shut the whole drat service down in the near future. That's a paid service, and a lot of customers are going to be screwed over.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

...! posted:

And don't forget that they've ditched all future plans for new Google Fiber installations because they ran into one problem (that they created themselves, through mind-numbing stupidity and incompetence!) and couldn't be bothered to fix it. I would imagine that they're already making plans to shut the whole drat service down in the near future. That's a paid service, and a lot of customers are going to be screwed over.

How did they gently caress up google fiber? I live like one block away from being able to get it and it’s a bummer if they won’t be expanding it, since my current internet provider sucks.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Ugly In The Morning posted:

How did they gently caress up google fiber? I live like one block away from being able to get it and it’s a bummer if they won’t be expanding it, since my current internet provider sucks.

Turns out building proper infrastructure is expensive. Who knew!

Also their microtrenching poo poo isn't very durable longterm.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Turns out building proper infrastructure is expensive. Who knew!

I did some googling. They used Bechtel for installing that poo poo? :psyduck: Were they trying to make it as expensive as possible?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
They abandoned an entire city instead of fixing it and blamed everyone else for it but their own implementation.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I did some googling. They used Bechtel for installing that poo poo? :psyduck: Were they trying to make it as expensive as possible?

Uh, I dunno about bechtel but the problem was they did it way too cheap:
https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/02/google-fiber-exits-louisville-after-shoddy-installs-left-exposed-wires-in-roads/

And then when that failed they mothballed google fiber because up-front real-world costs are an anathema to tech companies.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

"longterm" :lol: it was all hosed up in less than a year.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Instead of a foot-wide trench, a micro-trench is generally about an inch wide and four inches deep. In Louisville, Google Fiber reportedly was burying cables in "nano-trenches" that were just two inches deep.

But Louisville residents soon found exposed cables, as a WDRB article noted in March 2018. "When you're walking around the neighborhood, [the lines are] popping up out of the road all over the place," resident Larry Coomes said at the time. "People are tripping over it."

omg

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Rinkles posted:

Instead of a foot-wide trench, a micro-trench is generally about an inch wide and four inches deep. In Louisville, Google Fiber reportedly was burying cables in "nano-trenches" that were just two inches deep.

But Louisville residents soon found exposed cables, as a WDRB article noted in March 2018. "When you're walking around the neighborhood, [the lines are] popping up out of the road all over the place," resident Larry Coomes said at the time. "People are tripping over it."

omg

So a nano trench is just a disruptive word for half assing

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Just get a bunch of cinderblocks with holes running through them and use them to make curbs or whatever around town with a nice safe conduit

Weedle
May 31, 2006

embr was just released as “stadia early access” and it has the usual ea disclaimer of “development of this title may not progress beyond its current state” etc. which is weird for a game that was promoted by the platform holder but whatever. one thing i cannot recall seeing on other early access platforms though is the line that says “You may lose access if the publisher does not finish the game.” so I guess they’re asking $15 for a game they might give up on and pull, in keeping with google tradition

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Weedle posted:

embr was just released as “stadia early access” and it has the usual ea disclaimer of “development of this title may not progress beyond its current state” etc. which is weird for a game that was promoted by the platform holder but whatever. one thing i cannot recall seeing on other early access platforms though is the line that says “You may lose access if the publisher does not finish the game.” so I guess they’re asking $15 for a game they might give up on and pull, in keeping with google tradition

I’ve never seen a “we might just give up and stop working on it” disclaimer too, and I’ve bought a lot of EA games

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Weedle posted:

Holy poo poo, that is amazing. Not only may the game just cease development, it might cease existing altogether :magical:.

Don't worry guys, streamed gaming sure is the future!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stinch
Nov 21, 2013
I found out how to upgrade to pro. just go to stadia.google.com/pro pretty inexcusable for that link not to be on the homepage.

played some serious sam. the graphic quality looked good enough. there were small stutters often enough it got annoying, perhaps due to wifi. the latency is noticeable but constant, so probably ok for games where you can account for it but not for a fps.

it would have to be cheap and give access to lots of games like the netflix or spotify model for me to look past the stutters and latency.