Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Another thing about the AC series - the traversal is too good. It eventually kills any appeal the environment had because it eventually boils down to point at objective, hold forward and A. There is hardly any situation where doing so won't get you to your destination, so you never have to pay attention to what's around you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Death Stranding has completely spoiled me for traversal in open world games (even though Death Stranding itself was one only very nominally). Movement needs to be either even simpler than "push direction and hold X" - like RDR 2 and GTA V might as well just make their extended travel dialogues into cutscenes and get us some visual direction - , or a challenge in itself.

Somehow it's horses in particular that grind my gears. Whether it's in RDR or Breath of the Wild, on foot you're slow and plodding but with the horse it feels like the game makes you get off every ten seconds to chase a map blip, collectable or crafting ingredient, and the mounting/dismounting animations are just that tad too slow so it feels like you'd altogether be faster on foot.

Shadow of the Colossus is the only good horse traversal game I can name off-hand, but it's hardly open world and the horse traversal serves a very different purpose (but still commonly gets judged by open world game standards).

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Today in Monster Hunter it seemed like every time I was minding my own business sharpening my weapons or carving a tail or whatever, some small monsters would decide to get on my case and whack me about.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
That reminds me of when I played Red Dead Redemption and as the slow-horsing scene where you return to John's home played out a bear came out and twatted me off my horse, interrupting the music and ruining the mood. It was hilarious.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
For a while I was convinced the Mad Max game purposefully spawned a car to run you and wanderers over as the cutscene where you give them a drink was playing out because it just kept happening.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

BioEnchanted posted:

That reminds me of when I played Red Dead Redemption and as the slow-horsing scene where you return to John's home played out a bear came out and twatted me off my horse, interrupting the music and ruining the mood. It was hilarious.

And now I know
The only compass that I need
Is the one
That leads me back to yOARHGRH

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 19:38 on May 23, 2020

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

come to think of it Rockstar actually really never do make cutscenes where the characters drive or ride their horses, they always just stand around in scenery; and obviously this is because both a) the player will want to do their own riding and driving (if only so they get to make some decisions) and b) the cutscenes are all made in a greenscreen playground but it still seems a bit inconsistent with how obviously Rockstar want badly to be making movies.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mierenneuker posted:

And now I know
The only compass that I need
Is the one
That leads me back to yOARHGRH

As an example of how messed up the game engine was for some reason they couldn't code it so that the song just played when you got to Mexico/were about to reunite with your family so instead what they had to do was make it so that the song was instead tied to a specific horse. This lead to people actually missing the Mexico song because they would call their own horse instead of using the one provided.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Well, it's a special horse with a heated saddle, power steering and an onboard stereo.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I hate it when game developers do lazy shoutouts to better games, like when Obsidian copied Undertale's gimmick of naming characters after fonts and has you play as Courier New Vegas

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What reboots rank as the most unnecessary?

DmC: Devil May Cry is still baffling in hindsight, though it was published by Capcom before Resident Evil VII. What people wanted was a bigger-budget DMC4 so that half the game wasn't a rehash. Instead they started over with a different studio:

• Dante is now a completely different character in both character and design. Take away his white-hair, cocky attitude, and replace him with a dark-haired punk who looks suspiciously similar to the game's director.

• Being weirdly hostile to fans of the previous games. Usually an installment in any franchise tries to welcome everybody, fans and newcomers. Metroid Prime didn't have a scene where Samus torches a copy of Super Metroid because 2D is old-fashioned.

• A layer of heavy drama and edgy social commentary that didn't exist in the original series. Focusing too much on the plot in Devil May Cry is like giving a poo poo about Columbo's personal life over his work.

• Didn't release at 60FPS on consoles.

• No lock-on, no taunts, and a binary weapon-system which made certain foes no-sell your weapons because they're the wrong colour.

The incredible thing about DmC is not the game itself but the studio went on to make Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice almost right after DmC. It's very good and not a game I would have thought to come from that developer.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Messing around with Mafia 3 since the whole "Definitive Edition" gives you all the DLC for free, if you already own the game, even if you owning it is just through PS+. Thing that's kind of annoying is that on the start screen they added a big obnoxious ad for the Trilogy package.

muscles like this! has a new favorite as of 22:50 on May 23, 2020

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

My Lovely Horse posted:

Death Stranding has completely spoiled me for traversal in open world games (even though Death Stranding itself was one only very nominally). Movement needs to be either even simpler than "push direction and hold X" - like RDR 2 and GTA V might as well just make their extended travel dialogues into cutscenes and get us some visual direction - , or a challenge in itself.

I heard some one say that an open world game without well thought out traversal is just an elaborate menu screen

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Not at all wrong but if I had to call it I'd say Rockstar open worlds these days are more like an extremely glorified hub world.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

Messing around with Mafia 3 since the whole "Definitive Edition" gives you all the DLC for free, if you already own the game, even if you owning it is just through PS+. Thing that's kind of annoying is that on the start screen they added a big obnoxious ad for the Trilogy package.

I dunno. It sounds like you got the game free with PS+ and got all the DLC free too. A single ad seems pretty fair.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

My Lovely Horse posted:

Somehow it's horses in particular that grind my gears. Whether it's in RDR or Breath of the Wild, on foot you're slow and plodding but with the horse it feels like the game makes you get off every ten seconds to chase a map blip, collectable or crafting ingredient, and the mounting/dismounting animations are just that tad too slow so it feels like you'd altogether be faster on foot.

Shadow of the Colossus is the only good horse traversal game I can name off-hand, but it's hardly open world and the horse traversal serves a very different purpose (but still commonly gets judged by open world game standards).

Death Stranding has the perfect combo of animations for picking stuff up off the ground. When it's cargo it has a real animation where your hands go down and pick up the container because that matters but when it's just some collectible you do that swipe of the arm at nothing in particular so you can be running past and collecting without interrupting your stride.

Where it fails though is where most games fail, in not letting you nab collectible stuff off the ground or interact without dismounting whatever you're riding. Like goddamn, just let me bend down from my motorcycle or horse or robo-tiger or whatever and let me grab the thing. Better yet, just pretend I did and automatically sweep it up if I pass over it. Would anyone in the world be like "boooo my immersion! I want to see my character prune that plant's leaves!"

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Lobok posted:

Would anyone in the world be like "boooo my immersion! I want to see my character prune that plant's leaves!"

Have you ever met a gamer

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

make it a low-cost upgrade that magnetically attracts them to your vehicle like the electric shield in sonic, best of both worlds

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Lobok posted:

Death Stranding has the perfect combo of animations for picking stuff up off the ground. When it's cargo it has a real animation where your hands go down and pick up the container because that matters but when it's just some collectible you do that swipe of the arm at nothing in particular so you can be running past and collecting without interrupting your stride.

Where it fails though is where most games fail, in not letting you nab collectible stuff off the ground or interact without dismounting whatever you're riding. Like goddamn, just let me bend down from my motorcycle or horse or robo-tiger or whatever and let me grab the thing. Better yet, just pretend I did and automatically sweep it up if I pass over it. Would anyone in the world be like "boooo my immersion! I want to see my character prune that plant's leaves!"

I've just started playing some days ago and began running into this issue. My delivery speed is fantastic now but it's painful to cruise around seeing all those random boxes and chiral crystals and having to leave it all behind.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Tunicate posted:

I hate it when game developers do lazy shoutouts to better games, like when Obsidian copied Undertale's gimmick of naming characters after fonts and has you play as Courier New Vegas

I like this post, especially since I am playing Tales of Two Wastelands right this moment.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

oldpainless posted:

I feel like I am totally lost in Sekiro. There’s a bunch of dead ends and I find a boss and beat him and I think it’s gonna give me what to do next and it doesn’t. Either I’m missing a bunch of stuff or my famed gaming skills have left me, much as my famed love making skills have also left me.

Did you try making love to the boss?

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

The particle effects in borderlands 3 are pretty but they can get visually overwhelming very quickly.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I'm kind of hating how some games give you some kind of title or status but then don't actually reflect it in the game. Like becoming the number one champion or mercenary or leader of a faction and the game doesn't even change dialogs.

Again with AC:Odyssey, but at one point you become like queen of the amazons but said amazons don't even recognize you and you still are expected to rob and murder them. You become the worlds number one mercenary and every merc you run across in the world calls you a scrub and tells you how inexperienced you are. You kill fifty of the main cabal of bad guy leaders and the remaining story treats you like you're just finding out who they are and the organization still acts like it's unharmed and invulnerable.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Tunicate posted:

make it a low-cost upgrade that magnetically attracts them to your vehicle like the electric shield in sonic, best of both worlds

Dead Cells had this as an enchantment that could spawn on amulets until the creators realized that it was lovely to make people take a worse build for a QOL improvement and just made drops always do that.

Nier Automata and Bloodstained both have "you pick up drops by being in their vicinity" as equippable skills that eventually become trivial to just have on all the time.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

come to think of it Rockstar actually really never do make cutscenes where the characters drive or ride their horses, they always just stand around in scenery; and obviously this is because both a) the player will want to do their own riding and driving (if only so they get to make some decisions) and b) the cutscenes are all made in a greenscreen playground but it still seems a bit inconsistent with how obviously Rockstar want badly to be making movies.

Rockstar should make more games like Max Payne 3 where it's linear campaign from beginning to end. I would find it way lass frustrating then any of their games since GTAIV and they can make the movies they want.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Captain Hygiene posted:

Have you ever met a gamer

Maybe? What do they look like?

Samuringa posted:

I've just started playing some days ago and began running into this issue. My delivery speed is fantastic now but it's painful to cruise around seeing all those random boxes and chiral crystals and having to leave it all behind.

I usually didn't have a problem with lack of crystals. Kill some BTs here and there, claim materials from facilities, grab some on the ground every now and then. But yeah, grabbing them from the trike would have been so much better.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Lord Lambeth posted:

Rockstar should make more games like Max Payne 3 where it's linear campaign from beginning to end. I would find it way lass frustrating then any of their games since GTAIV and they can make the movies they want.

If they did that, people would realize that movement and shooting in GTA is rear end and has been rear end for decades long after other games in the same genre figured it out.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

Manager Hoyden posted:

I'm kind of hating how some games give you some kind of title or status but then don't actually reflect it in the game. Like becoming the number one champion or mercenary or leader of a faction and the game doesn't even change dialogs.

Again with AC:Odyssey, but at one point you become like queen of the amazons but said amazons don't even recognize you and you still are expected to rob and murder them. You become the worlds number one mercenary and every merc you run across in the world calls you a scrub and tells you how inexperienced you are. You kill fifty of the main cabal of bad guy leaders and the remaining story treats you like you're just finding out who they are and the organization still acts like it's unharmed and invulnerable.

Mercenaries for PS2 sorta approximated by this

You had a choice of 3 different characters that spoke different languages and had different backgrounds.

And while in mission briefings the dialogue would be understandable respectively. As well as appropriate quips based on military background or pragmatic worldview.

Combined with a robust faction system that actually impacted gameplay (don't piss of faction A too much because you buy airstrikes from them , action B does supply drops and vehicles and faction C does artillery)

It had a nice feeling of existing in a world that mattered.

It's shame the sequel sucked rear end so dang much

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Manager Hoyden posted:

There's a super small but funny version of doing this right in the knights of nine expansion for oblivion of all places. At the beginning of the quest a prophet is asking for volunteers to become one of the knights, if your the arena champion you can use that to show why you should be able to join. He smacks you down for suggesting that killing people for money and fame makes you qualified to join a holy order. It was hilarious.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

VanSandman posted:

If they did that, people would realize that movement and shooting in GTA is rear end and has been rear end for decades long after other games in the same genre figured it out.

Have to agree with this.

Even when GTA hit and blew up on the PS2, the aiming and controls in general sucked rear end. Driving too. For a game centered around driving and shooting, it's a testament to the things that Rockstar did right that the central elements of their games were the worst things about them.

Reading the complaints about RDR2, it doesn't seem like they've ever really got those things right.

I'd like to play it but so much of the feedback I read feels like the exact things I hate to do in video games.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Honestly I don't remember a thing about the controls in RDR2, my gripe was that it was the most "OK slowly walk with me for ten minutes while I explain your mission, also if you gently caress up I will return to do this sequence again" style of game that made me afraid to ever do anything fun because it might reset me to more exposition. I literally gave up on the game because I got sick of dying in a repeated cycle of getting bored during long enforced exposition scenes that you could fail by inattention, resetting you to the start of the exposition.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

finally playing dark souls 3 and man, the amount of 'swings wildly a million times' enemies--especially when they come in packs!--is making this game way more annoying than the rest of the series

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

bony tony posted:

The real sequel to Hotline Miami is RUINER

i was enjoying RUINER but the game just doesn’t really know when to end

think the last thing i remember doing was fighting that flying boss where you have to attack the towers. game really could have stood to shave a few hours off its run time, nothing about it really changed as you go

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kaubocks posted:

i was enjoying RUINER but the game just doesn’t really know when to end

think the last thing i remember doing was fighting that flying boss where you have to attack the towers. game really could have stood to shave a few hours off its run time, nothing about it really changed as you go

Misread that as RUNNER in bony tony's post and I was super lost reading yours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_moHXjH7pc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50c10nfA5Ss

I think the first one is way better

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

i just got done playing it and GTA V has a lot of little things dragging it down

the story is kind of hard to follow because i never really had a finger on what everyone’s motivations were, it seemed to keep fluctuating a lot. you also spend most of the running time just constantly getting dicked over by people and rarely getting anywhere.

now that i’ve beaten the game i just kinda drove around for an hour loving around in town, and only just now found out that you can’t pull out your weapons in stores? can you not stick up stores in this game lmao. i guess they want you to go plan big bad heists but eh. one of my favorite ways to kill time in GTA IV was holing up behind the burger shot counter and just racking up wanted levels

also pretty much any time the game asked me to fly a plane or helicopter made me want to die

great voice acting though

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Rockstar games want to you play through their linear story as exactly the kind of character they envision, barebones moral choice system in RDR notwithstanding, but they're not stories with a great amount of good pacing, rhythm or consistency so you just kinda have to take everyone's motivations for granted as the game presents them in any given scene, and go with the flow. The random violence stuff is for multiplayer now.

e: thinking about it some more that's probably mostly GTA, the characters in RDR2 are pretty consistent and there's a definite arc to the whole game, it just develops really slowly; individual chapters' arcs are pretty uneven though and range from servicable to clearly unfinished.

My Lovely Horse has a new favorite as of 12:52 on May 24, 2020

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Gaius Marius posted:

There's a super small but funny version of doing this right in the knights of nine expansion for oblivion of all places. At the beginning of the quest a prophet is asking for volunteers to become one of the knights, if your the arena champion you can use that to show why you should be able to join. He smacks you down for suggesting that killing people for money and fame makes you qualified to join a holy order. It was hilarious.

You can also mention the titles you get from the main quest, or being the head of the Dark Brotherhood (for that one he’s just like “well, this should be interesting”) or any of the other guilds and the response to each is some variation of “well if you’re such hot poo poo I guess you don’t need any fuckin help, huh?”

It’s so aggressively dismissive and I love it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

The final enemy gauntlet before the actual boss spawns in Birdgut is inconsistent in difficulty due to the nature of the fight - there are 4 spawners, two for flying enemies and two for ground enemies, and they only spawn a new guy when that spawner's last enemy dies - so sometimes they spawn some fast moving guys who can be tricky to avoid while also avoiding flying enemies, and that's fine, but there is a small problem with it's design - it can break itself to become easy. If the bottom two spawners spawn the big guys who fire 8-way lasers, then because they can't move, you can just stand in the middle and never get hit, the lasers just go over your head. You can just leave them alive and only focus on killing the easier flying enemies until the timer runs out, then kill the laser guys. It's just a really weird design thing.

Also some puzzles to get to secrets are a little annoying because you only get one shot - there are snails that only spawn once per level run and if they die you can't use their bombs anymore and have to replay the entire level to respawn them and try again.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

RareAcumen posted:

Misread that as RUNNER in bony tony's post and I was super lost reading yours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_moHXjH7pc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50c10nfA5Ss

I think the first one is way better

Oh my god that is awful. There's no bombast to it and they're just using random instruments to represent different parts of the song to no effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Kaubocks posted:

i just got done playing it and GTA V has a lot of little things dragging it down

the story is kind of hard to follow because i never really had a finger on what everyone’s motivations were, it seemed to keep fluctuating a lot. you also spend most of the running time just constantly getting dicked over by people and rarely getting anywhere.

now that i’ve beaten the game i just kinda drove around for an hour loving around in town, and only just now found out that you can’t pull out your weapons in stores? can you not stick up stores in this game lmao. i guess they want you to go plan big bad heists but eh. one of my favorite ways to kill time in GTA IV was holing up behind the burger shot counter and just racking up wanted levels

also pretty much any time the game asked me to fly a plane or helicopter made me want to die

great voice acting though

Motivations: Michael wants to relive the glory of the old days, Franklin wants money and success, and Trevor wants money (and is crazy haha isn't that wacky). And all 3 of them will roll over and take anything everyone throws at them because ???.

And the only stores you can stick up are convenience stores, for some reason. Clothing stores can't be robbed.

The PC flight controls are absolutely terrible, but it works pretty well on controllers.