Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Pickup would definitely be better on R1 or R2. Would give better reaction time for catching weapons and make for a faster transition between picking up a weapon and hitting with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Mortal Kombat 11 has a story cutscene that's flashes of the same two people fighting across different timelines. It's already just a really neat scene since you see what's basically the same fight over six different arenas, but every single one is a recreated version of a stage from an older Mortal Kombat game, including ones that are generally ignored, like Armageddon.

One of those flashes is from Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 15:34 on May 18, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cleretic posted:

Mortal Kombat 11 has a story cutscene that's flashes of the same two people fighting across different timelines. It's already just a really neat scene since you see what's basically the same fight over six different arenas, but every single one is a recreated version of a stage from an older Mortal Kombat game, including ones that are generally ignored, like Armageddon.

One of those flashes is from Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe.

Which cutscene is that? I don’t remember it which is weird because I loved that games story mode, so I want to go back and check it out.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Which cutscene is that? I don’t remember it which is weird because I loved that games story mode, so I want to go back and check it out.

It's this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDsDf3DDU4Y

And the actual list of stages, in order of first appearance in that video...

MK9's version of MK3's Rooftop
MK2's Dead Pool
MK vs DC's Outworld/Apokolips
MK3's Subway
MK Deception's Dragon Palace
MK Armageddon's Pyramid
MK1's Shrine (in a VERY brief shot)

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

exquisite tea posted:

I wish you could freely map buttons in SoR4 because I'd prefer the buttons for pickup/throw and back attack to be reversed.

If you're on PS4 you can use the console accessibility options to do this.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cleretic posted:

It's this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDsDf3DDU4Y

And the actual list of stages, in order of first appearance in that video...

MK9's version of MK3's Rooftop
MK2's Dead Pool
MK vs DC's Outworld/Apokolips
MK3's Subway
MK Deception's Dragon Palace
MK Armageddon's Pyramid
MK1's Shrine (in a VERY brief shot)

I had forgotten all about that one. MK11 is great for how much of a poo poo they give about the earlier games- all three of the modern MK ones have been, really.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
I just started playing Yakuza Kiwami and so far my favourite little thing is that the ambient sound in the streets is incredibly well mixed and well done. I'm playing with headphones and the snippets of things as I pass different stores and locations in the streets is impressive.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Wolfenstein The Old Blood: You can crush German zombies with an excavation robot.

Ass-penny
Jan 18, 2008

In Enter the Gungeon, if you play as the Hunter character, you can pet your dog's head. Mentioned this to a friend who played a couple rounds with me once and kind of forgot about the game, this was all he needed to hear to buy it, hahaha.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

rear end-penny posted:

In Enter the Gungeon, if you play as the Hunter character, you can pet your dog's head. Mentioned this to a friend who played a couple rounds with me once and kind of forgot about the game, this was all he needed to hear to buy it, hahaha.

AFAIK this is really recent and only because the Witter account that tracks if you can pet dogs in video games noted that you can't. The creator saw it and swiftly added it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Most importantly, if you pet the dog for more than 20 ish seconds it starts wagging its tail or kicking its leg.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I've been playing Heaven's Vault lately, and having a lot of fun with it. It's setting off the same triggers in my head as Obra Dinn, but for different reasons. Like, picking up another inscription with some illegible symbols on it and going "huh wait okay I see I think this marking indicates this as a noun, and this marking is a contraction of these two words, and this..." and actually being able to build a knowledge base of this fake language. Like, being able to know the symbol for 'path', is neat, but knowing that when it has the verb particles around it, means 'follow', feels pretty loving cool, and that's the most basic one.

I almost wish there was a version of this game that didn't have the walking around and sciency plot and stuff. I find it pretty interesting (and like a scavenger hunt where you're looking for vocabulary in the bushes) but my mother is/was an english teacher - which is probably why I enjoy this as much as I do - and I suspect she'd love something like this that wasn't as 'gamey'.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Morpheus posted:

I've been playing Heaven's Vault lately, and having a lot of fun with it. It's setting off the same triggers in my head as Obra Dinn, but for different reasons. Like, picking up another inscription with some illegible symbols on it and going "huh wait okay I see I think this marking indicates this as a noun, and this marking is a contraction of these two words, and this..." and actually being able to build a knowledge base of this fake language. Like, being able to know the symbol for 'path', is neat, but knowing that when it has the verb particles around it, means 'follow', feels pretty loving cool, and that's the most basic one.
That was my favorite part of my early linguistics classes: building a lexicon based on a few words (in a real or imaginary language) for which you know the English, then applying it to new words and making inferences. For example, if we know that "kitap" means "book," "adam" means "man," and "kitaplar" means "books," what does "adamlar" mean? What, then, does "-lar" signify? That was extremely my jam.

I hadn't looked at it that way before, but it really is a logic puzzle like in Obra Dinn. I bet someone could make a great language-learning "game" out of that, as long as the player isn't hung up on learning, say, handy phrases for travel.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
The boss music for Gwyn, Lord of Cinder in Dark Souls is done in only the white keys of the piano, because he's terrified of darkness.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Son of Rodney posted:

AFAIK this is really recent and only because the Witter account that tracks if you can pet dogs in video games noted that you can't. The creator saw it and swiftly added it.

I'm fairly certain that twitter account is directly responsible for this occurring in a fair few number of games now.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Morpheus posted:

I almost wish there was a version of this game that didn't have the walking around and sciency plot and stuff. I find it pretty interesting (and like a scavenger hunt where you're looking for vocabulary in the bushes) but my mother is/was an english teacher - which is probably why I enjoy this as much as I do - and I suspect she'd love something like this that wasn't as 'gamey'.

A friend of mine localizes games for a living and really loved it for that exact reason. I'd play it more but god drat walking around is slow and a little frustrating, but otherwise it's extremely cool and super atmospheric. I actually went 'oh god gently caress' when you hopper into the cave and your bro runs up to you backwards without a head yelling in the voice of the dead guy

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cleretic posted:

I still far prefer the direction DS2 takes for being a sequel to Dark Souls. 'This is the same world, but everything you know has been forgotten, built on or reappropriated' is way more interesting to me than DS3's 'we're just picking and choosing what parts are the same and what's not'.

And I've said it before, but DS2's extinction mechanics were fantastic, and it's a travesty that they were in a game that happened to have people who farm drops for multiplayer purposes.

People rolled their eyes at it at the time but the Sunlight covenant conflating Gwyn with Solaire is actually really clever, especially with a lot of the miracle descriptions saying that no one remembers which one was the OG one anymore but it's probably this one (it wasn't lol).

Ass-penny
Jan 18, 2008

Son of Rodney posted:

I didn't know the history, but I'm glad the creators rectified their shame.

CJacobs posted:

Most importantly, if you pet the dog for more than 20 ish seconds it starts wagging its tail or kicking its leg.

It's true, and a clever touch. I like how many animals there are in this game. About 70 plays ago I had a whole menagerie:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm fairly certain that twitter account is directly responsible for this occurring in a fair few number of games now.

Doing God's work. Few things bother me more in a game then them including cats or dogs and not giving me any ability to interact with it.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

The boss music for Gwyn, Lord of Cinder in Dark Souls is done in only the white keys of the piano, because he's terrified of darkness.

I haven't played the game but that is a really nice touch.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
If I remember right there's a dog in the town of Dauntless that gave you the ability to pet it expressly due to that account.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

Morpheus posted:

Heaven's Vault

In a similar vein, check out Suveh Nux, a really short text adventure based on recognizing patterns in magic words and interacting with the very limited environment. It might be non-gamey enough to recommend!

To stay on topic, my favourite little things in this tiny game are all the minor interactions. You have a clear goal (get out of the vault you're locked in) and you get tools to achieve it, but nothing stops you from messing with everything else in the room using whatever other combinations of words you can think of. There's even easter eggs for some things you can do!

It's playable here, with or without download. https://ifdb.tads.org/viewgame?id=xkai23ry99qdxce3

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Aithon posted:

In a similar vein, check out Suveh Nux, a really short text adventure based on recognizing patterns in magic words and interacting with the very limited environment. It might be non-gamey enough to recommend!

To stay on topic, my favourite little things in this tiny game are all the minor interactions. You have a clear goal (get out of the vault you're locked in) and you get tools to achieve it, but nothing stops you from messing with everything else in the room using whatever other combinations of words you can think of. There's even easter eggs for some things you can do!

It's playable here, with or without download. https://ifdb.tads.org/viewgame?id=xkai23ry99qdxce3

That might be my favourite IF/text adventure of all time, it's so clever and detailed.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Aithon posted:

Suveh Nux

:smug:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

RBA Starblade posted:

People rolled their eyes at it at the time but the Sunlight covenant conflating Gwyn with Solaire is actually really clever, especially with a lot of the miracle descriptions saying that no one remembers which one was the OG one anymore but it's probably this one (it wasn't lol).

I never saw this because I didn't go Sunbro, but I do remember there's a few iconic armor sets that just straight-up go 'we've got no idea'. The Catarina set comes to mind.

I like that it carries through to the geography, too. There's like, four places that you can reasonably claim as Anor Londo, and from there you can map out a few other places, but there's other landmarks that don't mesh with those, either, like the Sunbro statue, which would reasonably be the same thing in roughly the same place. So you can never truly know what parts of 2's world were parts of 1's.

And that makes sense, not just because of the passage of time, but because 'geography gets weird' is actually a part of the setting, the fact that it almost makes sense is right. There's some cool moments in 3 being more literal about that notion (3 actually depicting a weird unknowable apocalypse was probably the best part of it), but I overall preferred the more subtle angle of 'there's about seven ways you could map 2's world over 1's and none of them agree'.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I'm playing Maneater (which I am calling Shark Souls) and, let me tell you, I'm having a blast. Whether I'm chasing people around their house trying to eat them

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/FailingCalmLeafcutterant-mobile.mp4

doing a gator roll to a gator (I love the kill animations)

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/OnlyNimbleGenet-mobile.mp4

or just listening to the soothing voice of Chris Parnell's narrations

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/PersonalAggravatingCrocodile-mobile.mp4

everything is just working for me.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Morpheus posted:

Check out Sethian. The idea is you're a linguist/archeologist type who found a computer from a dead empire and you're trying to figure out what happened, and how their language works, because that's all the computer understands. You have a notebook with some clues to start you off, and as you learn what new symbols mean, they get added to your notebook. It sounds like something you and your mom might like. :)

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
You translate some ancient aliens Myspace page and their IN PROGRESS, ORIGINAL THE CHARACTER DO NOT STEAL fan fiction

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
There's also The Gostak, which does the 'decipher what an alien language means' in kind of a brilliant way (yes, this game is parseable and beatable but you probably should know at least a little bit of how an IF game works before you try it

https://ifdb.tads.org/viewgame?id=w5s3sv43s3p98v45

(you can play it in-browser with the button on the top right. take notes.)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle has a lot of fun slapstick gags with the titular bunny idiots, but if I had to single out one thing, I'd say everything involving Rabbid Peach.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I think the Bolt game references the infamous Battlestar Galactica commercial thing with the inappropriate ad after a character kills themselves with a gun to the head - if you pause the game, one of Rhyno's lines is "I'm think there was a commercial break here during the original broadcast, and I'm pretty sure it was soup-based..."

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Borderlands 3 has a little minigame called Borderlands Science, which is a little puzzle game that apparently helps scientists in the real world. I think that's a cool idea and didn't expect it happening in the game? It's not like borderlands has ever been much of a puzzle game.

You can read up details about it here

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

So, only 5 years after that lovely presentation and 4 years after it was released, I'm finally playing Unravel and it's very charming. I only finished the first(?) level and found one missing piece but it's very chill. The music in this house is very relaxing to have going in the background.

I just found out that there's a ton of stuff in here you can swing on and part of it helps you get to other levels but I dunno, I'm very enthralled by that being here.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Push El Burrito posted:

I'm playing Maneater (which I am calling Shark Souls) and, let me tell you, I'm having a blast. Whether I'm chasing people around their house trying to eat them

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/FailingCalmLeafcutterant.mp4

doing a gator roll to a gator (I love the kill animations)

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/OnlyNimbleGenet.mp4

or just listening to the soothing voice of Chris Parnell's narrations

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/PersonalAggravatingCrocodile.mp4

everything is just working for me.

None of these are loading for me so I'm trying something

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Sad/surprised there's no trophy in Maneater named "Telegram!"

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Lobok posted:

Sad/surprised there's no trophy in Maneater named "Telegram!"

CANDYGRAM

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

flatluigi posted:

There's also The Gostak, which does the 'decipher what an alien language means' in kind of a brilliant way (yes, this game is parseable and beatable but you probably should know at least a little bit of how an IF game works before you try it

https://ifdb.tads.org/viewgame?id=w5s3sv43s3p98v45

(you can play it in-browser with the button on the top right. take notes.)

There's also this walkthrough

Lighan ses Lion

which won a competition for 'build a game around these commands'

Tunicate has a new favorite as of 03:04 on May 24, 2020

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

I finally bought Mordor: Shadow of War and the nemesis system is so well done. I don't think I've lost track of time playing a game like this in ages, easily 2-3 hours before I even thought about leaving the first area and remembered there was a main quest. Best memory so far is when I went after a guy that killed me, but there was another guy there, so I retreated around a corner into another guy, then got ambushed by a fourth. I got downed a few times but survived with last stands, then eventually got killed by a regular grunt with no last stand opportunity. He said something "I killed you Tark, that makes me the Tark Killer! No... Tark Slayer! That's who I'll be from now on, the Tark Slayer!" and he gets promoted into the ranks as [Name] the Tark Slayer, and now he is my personal arch enemy.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

TheMostFrench posted:

I finally bought Mordor: Shadow of War and the nemesis system is so well done. I don't think I've lost track of time playing a game like this in ages, easily 2-3 hours before I even thought about leaving the first area and remembered there was a main quest. Best memory so far is when I went after a guy that killed me, but there was another guy there, so I retreated around a corner into another guy, then got ambushed by a fourth. I got downed a few times but survived with last stands, then eventually got killed by a regular grunt with no last stand opportunity. He said something "I killed you Tark, that makes me the Tark Killer! No... Tark Slayer! That's who I'll be from now on, the Tark Slayer!" and he gets promoted into the ranks as [Name] the Tark Slayer, and now he is my personal arch enemy.

Yeah when the first game was coming out, all of us were like "pffff yeah right" about what the said the Nemesis system was going to do, and then it... did all the poo poo they claimed it would and it ruled.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
OO7 Quantum of Solace has a stage where James Bond has to drunkenly stumble back to his car to avoid dying from drinking bad wine.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

TheMostFrench posted:

iirc some character skills and Nemesis system actions are gated behind the MQ so get reasonably far in that so you can enjoy the full breadth of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

iirc some character skills and Nemesis system actions are gated behind the MQ so get reasonably far in that so you can enjoy the full breadth of the game.

I can see why because I could just play 'Orc military manipulator sim' forever without much more context. Once I got to the second area and Gollum appeared I genuinely thought "What the hell..? Oh right, it's Lord of the Rings."