Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Holy poo poo

https://twitter.com/stjepansejic/status/1264133193944440833

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Isn't that webtoon just a rip-off of "goblin is strong"?

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Nitrousoxide posted:

Isn't that webtoon just a rip-off of "goblin is strong"?

What? No? It's completely different. I have absolutely no idea what makes you think that.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

skaianDestiny posted:

What? No? It's completely different. I have absolutely no idea what makes you think that.

Absurdly strong antagonist/love interest/friend interest female demon Lord/goblin who repeatedly defeats the female protagonist, killing them and their party, over and over despite the overtures they make to them.

Same respawn mechanic wherein the dead adventures turn into caskets immediately wherein they're teleported to the church for revival, and the revival costs money, which if they fail to pay they die forever.

The antagonist love interest ends up killing the protagonist so many times they that legitimately endanger their ability to revive due to lack of funds.

This causes them to realize their affection for the protagonist and sets off the series of events that lead to them befriending each other.

The peculiarities of the story differ of course what the broad story beats and setting are the same between the two.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm pretty sure i've seen a similar set up in a bunch of things. Settings where weird rpg conventions exist and are played totally straight aren't super unique I feel.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the coffin stuff specifically just feels like they're all riffing on dragon quest so you can probably discount it

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
*reading strawberry panic* Wait a second... *looks at tvtropes* This is just like Maria-sama ga Miteiru! What the heck!

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Nitrousoxide posted:

Absurdly strong antagonist/love interest/friend interest female demon Lord/goblin who repeatedly defeats the female protagonist, killing them and their party, over and over despite the overtures they make to them.

Same respawn mechanic wherein the dead adventures turn into caskets immediately wherein they're teleported to the church for revival, and the revival costs money, which if they fail to pay they die forever.

The antagonist love interest ends up killing the protagonist so many times they that legitimately endanger their ability to revive due to lack of funds.

This causes them to realize their affection for the protagonist and sets off the series of events that lead to them befriending each other.

The peculiarities of the story differ of course what the broad story beats and setting are the same between the two.

Besides the coffin stuff that the others have talked about, those "similarities" are so broad that you might as well say that Battlestar Galatica is a ripoff of Space Battleship Yamato or that Batman and the Punisher are the same.

Not to mention you misrepresent the story beats and gloss over a lot of what makes the two stories completely different in order to try and make your point.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Two things having the same broad story beats doesnt make something a ripoff besidss. The details are what stories are.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
in the webcomic "Mage and Demon Queen" the demon queen is taller than the mage and has big boobs

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

i want the demon queen to pick me up

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

DisDisDis posted:

in the webcomic "Mage and Demon Queen" the demon queen is taller than the mage and has big boobs

Woah

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Also Mage & Demon Queen has a totally wholesome trans lesbian character

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
wait it does?

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

DisDisDis posted:

wait it does?

skaianDestiny fucked around with this message at 10:30 on May 24, 2020

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
hm maybe i should catch up

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

whoa

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I liked that detail of "That was me, actually".

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

https://dynasty-scans.com/series/song_about_a_piece_of_junk
hadn't heard of this manga before, but it started getting scans again and i've enjoyed what i've read of it. really nails the dynamic of two depressed teens who just kinda fell in super close together

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i started reading mage and demon queen and now its 7 am and i have to wake up in 3 hours. thank you

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Witch's Servant continues to be Witch's Servant

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

The obvious answer is: Everyone x Everyone! (Except Betty and King Bull, for very different yet also similar reasons)

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I've got no time for Sauro honestly.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

He could be redeemed still, depending on how he acts from now on.

As it stands, he's currently a fash bigot fundie shitheel.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Oh Lloyd! Oh Lloyd! Oh Lloyd! Oh Lloyd!

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
Another new Witch's Servant chapter already. It is delightful from beginning to end. Stupid Sexy Arsenyo

It's old news by now, but i'm still kind of amazed how far this manga has evolved since its beginnings as generic creepy ecchi schlock. Even the demons are turning into interesting characters. How did that even happen?

I also have very ambivalent feelings about the Irish accents.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

edit: wrong manga

Libra fucked around with this message at 12:50 on May 29, 2020

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Gonna need to read this.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

Gonna need to read this.

It's really good

But it's not finished and I have no idea when, or if, it will end

:negative:

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I wish there was more stuff about transwomen that are straight or bi; romances with men. I know this threads gimmick is really just yuri, but still...

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

ah yes, gimmick

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

I wish there was more stuff about transwomen that are straight or bi; romances with men. I know this threads gimmick is really just yuri, but still...

This is kind of a weird, accusatory post. I'm sure if you had asked for some examples or recommendations, people would be glad to share them. Everyone's basically just posting what they like or what they think others might like.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
loving gays, ruining gay spaces with our gimmick orientations

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

its me im the gimmick lesbian

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Uh, not sure what you mean by gimmick but there's a lot of yaoi stuff too.

e: i keep confusing this with the shoujo thread rip

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
jesus christ i didnt mean anything accusatory, calm down people. I was just saying that I see alot of yuri in here compared to others.

The entire point of threads is each one has their gimmick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

jesus christ i didnt mean anything accusatory, calm down people. I was just saying that I see alot of yuri in here compared to others.

no