Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

K8.0 posted:

What GPU do you have? A GOOD 1440p 144hz+ IPS Freesync monitor is probably what you want. You do not need two of the same monitor, and unless money is no object you generally don't need high refresh/VRR on your secondary monitor. That money can do more somewhere else.

I think there's another Norwayposter here who has found some deals in the past. Those prices seem actually not obscene for euro pricing, but none of them are monitors we'd typically recommend. VA monitors have deeper blacks than IPS, but the pixel response times (especially dark/grey colors) are MUCH slower and unless you really hate how IPS looks it's not worth the tradeoff for a gaming monitor. Do not buy a TN monitor unless you give absolutely zero fucks about color (even most streamers who make a living playing games competitively use IPS displays over TN).

I've got a GTX 1070. I guess it's also worth mentioning that even though I like compete competitive games, I like stuff that looks good even more, so I'm not aiming for some no-graphics esports Competition Interface.

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 03:08 on May 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

UPS says my EDG27v2 is delayed due to natural disaster. Hopefully the seller and/or Amazon will take care of me if it arrives in a box full of nothing but shards and toxic dust. thank you to all my monitor friends

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Black Griffon posted:

I've got a GTX 1070. I guess it's also worth mentioning that even though I like compete competitive games, I like stuff that looks good even more, so I'm not aiming for some no-graphics esports Competition Interface.

My GTX 1060 6GB has been managing to average around 70-75 FPS in Far Cry 5 at 1440p with settings mostly set to high and dynamic resolution enabled. I think with the 1070 you should be in slightly better shape.

Hopefully the 2070 Super I ordered will arrive tomorrow and I can try running things with more aggressive settings.

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

I was born ready. I'm Ron Fucking Swanson.

K8.0 posted:

What GPU do you have? A GOOD 1440p 144hz+ IPS Freesync monitor is probably what you want. You do not need two of the same monitor, and unless money is no object you generally don't need high refresh/VRR on your secondary monitor. That money can do more somewhere else.

I think there's another Norwayposter here who has found some deals in the past. Those prices seem actually not obscene for euro pricing, but none of them are monitors we'd typically recommend. VA monitors have deeper blacks than IPS, but the pixel response times (especially dark/grey colors) are MUCH slower and unless you really hate how IPS looks it's not worth the tradeoff for a gaming monitor. Do not buy a TN monitor unless you give absolutely zero fucks about color (even most streamers who make a living playing games competitively use IPS displays over TN).

Have they fixed the issues with having a different refresh rate in both monitors? Awhile ago I had a 144hz and a 60hz monitor side by side, and on the 60hz monitor I got super weird laggy mouse movement which never occurred on the 144hz monitor. I ended up just getting another 144hz monitor to get around it.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Ihmemies posted:

4k is super expensive. I have a 400€ RTX 2060 and it is not good for 1440p high refresh rate gaming. It's ok for 60hz 1440p or minimum details higher fps. I do not want to even look at the money required to do high refresh rate 4k gaming.

144hz 1080p is 300mpix/s
144hz 1440p is 530mpix/s
144hz 4k is 1200mpix/s

So 1440p requires nearly 2x and 4k 4x more processing power. Look at gpu reviews what kind of fps the gpu you have money for gives in games.

K8.0 posted:

A 2060 won't push the newest games at max settings at 1440p/144fps, but neither will a 2080Ti. A 2060 is strong enough to give you a comfortably locked 140 FPS in competitive games, and solid performance at reasonable settings in anything. People don't need to feel like they need the latest, highest end GPUs in order to bother owning a high refresh rate monitor.

4k being >2x the pixel count of 1440p is definitely a bear though, and without software side changes it's not a realistic goal for most users any time soon.

Thanks for the input. After some research I'm thinking that I can probably be satisfied a 2060 Super (which seems like a good bang for the buck, yet not too budget) as if I ever play competitive games, graphics don't matter to me, and I don't play the latest AAA graphics hogs anyway. If anything I've found that I don't even think the super high end benchmark games I see people using as a reference on comparison videos look that great anyway.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Seems like maybe these are my options unless I want to go digging in other stores. Any immediate nays? Any very good experiences?

Edit: also, my buddy who is also looking for a monitor sent me this suggestion

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 07:44 on May 22, 2020

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
That last LG option is real good.

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

Hey everyone, I want to upgrade one of my monitors but I have a 970, so I need a true gsync monitor. Is the Asus PG279Q a generally well regarded monitor? They have it in stock at my local micro center and I'd rather not buy it online so I can return it if needed.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Lowness 72 posted:

That last LG option is real good.

hell yeah. it's on the list of g-sync compatible monitors, so I should be all good on that front too? no unexpected issues dealing with that?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Argona posted:

Hey everyone, I want to upgrade one of my monitors but I have a 970, so I need a true gsync monitor. Is the Asus PG279Q a generally well regarded monitor? They have it in stock at my local micro center and I'd rather not buy it online so I can return it if needed.

Probably be cheaper to buy a 1060 or 1660 and FreeSync monitor at this point.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Kalman posted:

Probably be cheaper to buy a 1060 or 1660 and FreeSync monitor at this point.

in all honesty this popped into my head as a solution as well. a used 1060 will be an upgrade and probably fits within the delta for teh gsync tax lol.

im not sure if its actually good advice :shrug:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Do you guys reckon a 1070 FTW would support 3 27” 2k monitors @ 144-165hz or should I stick to 1080p? I’m very used to aiming on 1080p, but given that there’s probably some new cards coming out soon I guess I could just update the monitors and see how the card holds up?

Also: what is a relatively affordable 144hz/165hz 27”‘er? I care more about refresh rate than resolution but I’m open to either 1080p or 2k, just no 4K

E; oh I guess unthread has answers to the good brands and models :haw:

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 19:36 on May 22, 2020

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
In the sense of support it for desktop work? Yeah, absolutely. If you're talking gaming, then you'd only be able to actively game on one of them, though--no crazy 3x monitor Eyefinity superwide setup for flight/driving sims or whatever, unless you were willing to drop down to probably 60FPS or so.

But, yeah, game one one while keeping two up for like web page references and Discord or whatever? 100% fine.

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

Statutory Ape posted:

in all honesty this popped into my head as a solution as well. a used 1060 will be an upgrade and probably fits within the delta for teh gsync tax lol.

im not sure if its actually good advice :shrug:

I hadn't even really considered that as an option, but you're right. How's the Acer VG271U? I can pick that up along with a new 1660 super for the same price as the one I originally looked up.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Mistikman posted:

Have they fixed the issues with having a different refresh rate in both monitors? Awhile ago I had a 144hz and a 60hz monitor side by side, and on the 60hz monitor I got super weird laggy mouse movement which never occurred on the 144hz monitor. I ended up just getting another 144hz monitor to get around it.

Never had that issue. There is an issue that can occur where motion/animation on your low refresh monitor can drop the high refresh monitor down to match it, but using the right browser/having the latest version of windows makes it mostly not a problem.

MrOnBicycle posted:

Thanks for the input. After some research I'm thinking that I can probably be satisfied a 2060 Super (which seems like a good bang for the buck, yet not too budget) as if I ever play competitive games, graphics don't matter to me, and I don't play the latest AAA graphics hogs anyway. If anything I've found that I don't even think the super high end benchmark games I see people using as a reference on comparison videos look that great anyway.

Since it doesn't sound like you're building right now, it's worth noting that both Nvidia and AMD have new GPUs coming probably late this year, and the Nvidia GPUs in particular should be a solid step forward. So if you're doing the monitor now/system later thing, it will probably work out even better than you expect.

Argona posted:

I hadn't even really considered that as an option, but you're right. How's the Acer VG271U? I can pick that up along with a new 1660 super for the same price as the one I originally looked up.

The VG271U is... ok? Unless it's like $299, you can do better. I would use nowinstock to get an LG 27GL83A off Amazon for $373, with current pricing it's definitely the sweet spot monitor at the moment. LG QA is decent and Amazon's return policies are good, so I wouldn't be afraid of doing so.

Black Griffon posted:

Seems like maybe these are my options unless I want to go digging in other stores. Any immediate nays? Any very good experiences?

Edit: also, my buddy who is also looking for a monitor sent me this suggestion

Euro pricing/availability is RIP, but the 27GL850 is very good, I would go that way.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Argona posted:

nvidia really has poo poo figured out when the best way to avoid their gsync module is to buy one of their video cards anyway..

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

DrDork posted:

In the sense of support it for desktop work? Yeah, absolutely. If you're talking gaming, then you'd only be able to actively game on one of them, though--no crazy 3x monitor Eyefinity superwide setup for flight/driving sims or whatever, unless you were willing to drop down to probably 60FPS or so.

But, yeah, game one one while keeping two up for like web page references and Discord or whatever? 100% fine.

Perfect, and yeah I mostly play like, overwatch and minecraft or sometimes valorant, but I use my same monitor set for work so I switch inputs and run those cables to my MacBook

Speaking of, what ever happened to daisy chaining monitors?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Speaking of, what ever happened to daisy chaining monitors?

the lack of DP1.4/DP2.0 happened, mostly. MST still exists but it can't magically increase the amount of bits you shove down a wire, and as monitors have gotten higher-resolution and faster we've been in more and more of a bandwidth crunch to feed a single monitor over a single cable, let alone feeding two monitors with one cable.

some monitors are even going to multi-cable to try and mitigate this

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
MST can do 2x 4K @ 60 I think?

E: yeah my wife’s thunderbolt dock supports it. That’s maxing it out tho

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Dogen posted:

MST can do 2x 4K @ 60 I think?

E: yeah my wife’s thunderbolt dock supports it. That’s maxing it out tho

Yeah, DP 1.4 maxes at 32Gbps (26Gbps actual data), and 2x 4k@60Hz is ~25Gbps, so it can fit there, but a lot of 60Hz monitors only support DP 1.2, which maxes at ~22Gbps (17Gbps data). I think that there just hasn't been a lot of call for it, since most people still only use one monitor.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I was browsing monitors and found this curved 27” Samsung freesync for a very reasonable price

Freesync is gsync compatible right? As far as I can tell, this ratchets up to 144hz, but they have a different model explicitly marked as 144hz for 499$ instead, which makes me doubt how I’m reading it

Also, are three curved monitors next to each other even going to work? Or are they better as side monitors with the centre one being flat?

I haven’t looked at monitors that weren’t in a garbage somewhere in a very long time :3

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

K8.0 posted:

very helpful post

I think I might just wait for the aforementioned "real good" LG 27GL850 to come in stock at my microcenter, I called them and they mentioned a first responder discount, which I would be able to use and I dont mind waiting for a gpu refresh and spending a bit more since its all trumpbux anyway.
Thanks for the help everyone!

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I was browsing monitors and found this curved 27” Samsung freesync for a very reasonable price

Freesync is gsync compatible right? As far as I can tell, this ratchets up to 144hz, but they have a different model explicitly marked as 144hz for 499$ instead, which makes me doubt how I’m reading it

Also, are three curved monitors next to each other even going to work? Or are they better as side monitors with the centre one being flat?

I haven’t looked at monitors that weren’t in a garbage somewhere in a very long time :3

G-sync compatible is g-sync compatible, from what I understand, and that Samsung is not on the list, so I don't think it's a good get if you're running Nvidia

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Black Griffon posted:

G-sync compatible is g-sync compatible, from what I understand, and that Samsung is not on the list, so I don't think it's a good get if you're running Nvidia

Looking at the unofficial lists I can find it looks like Samsung monitors generally don't do great with G-sync. My Acer is not on the official list but tends to do just fine with G-sync compatibility.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

That monitor has a VA panel instead of IPS, which is considered the biggest con for use as a gaming monitor. VA is too slow technology for high refresh.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Looking for a 27" 1440p with a high refresh. What are the current recs? I have a 1070

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Yeah the extra $70 for the 27GL83A is well worth it. I honestly don't think people should really be considering anything else right now unless they have specific needs. Everything else that's worth buying has gone up in priace and become harder to find, while the 27GL83A has barely budged, and yeah it's still hard to find, but it always was, so that makes it a relatively easier recommendation now.

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Looking for a 27" 1440p with a high refresh. What are the current recs? I have a 1070

You too, LG 27GL83A. It goes up on Amazon for ~$370 every few days. Set up a nowinstock alert for it and buy it instantly when you get the notification, they sell out fast.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

What's the major diference between the 27GL83A and the 27GL850?

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Probably going to order LG 27GL83A-B from amazon.de at 416EUR. Thing is I have an ancient graphics card, GTX 970 4G from 5 years ago. Will it work somewhat or is my next purchase a new card?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Saukkis posted:

That monitor has a VA panel instead of IPS, which is considered the biggest con for use as a gaming monitor. VA is too slow technology for high refresh.
Perfect, ty

K8.0 posted:

Yeah the extra $70 for the 27GL83A is well worth it. I honestly don't think people should really be considering anything else right now unless they have specific needs. Everything else that's worth buying has gone up in priace and become harder to find, while the 27GL83A has barely budged, and yeah it's still hard to find, but it always was, so that makes it a relatively easier recommendation now.

You too, LG 27GL83A. It goes up on Amazon for ~$370 every few days. Set up a nowinstock alert for it and buy it instantly when you get the notification, they sell out fast.
I’ll do this now, cheers!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Le0 posted:

Probably going to order LG 27GL83A-B from amazon.de at 416EUR. Thing is I have an ancient graphics card, GTX 970 4G from 5 years ago. Will it work somewhat or is my next purchase a new card?

It'll work as a normal monitor but you won't be able to use adaptive sync with that card, Nvidia only started supporting it with the 10 series and onwards.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Black Griffon posted:

What's the major diference between the 27GL83A and the 27GL850?

The 27GL850 has a USB hub in it and costs like $130 more. It also tends to be more readily available, probably because it's nowhere near as good a deal.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

K8.0 posted:

The 27GL850 has a USB hub in it and costs like $130 more. It also tends to be more readily available, probably because it's nowhere near as good a deal.

well it sounds like the 850 is entirely pointless then. Thanks!

And the 83 has been ordered. Thanks, friends.

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 17:22 on May 23, 2020

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
I read the first few posts which do not seem current and last few pages, so hopefully this question is not too dumb. My work is giving a $200 credit to buy office supplies for a home office, and I was looking at putting it toward a monitor since my extra one attached to my work laptop is dying. The plan is to get a new one for my PC, and then move that one to be the second monitor for my work computer. Both my current monitor and dying second monitor are 27" Samsung Syncmaster P2770H purchased from Costco a while ago. I cannot find what type of panel it has to compare, it just says LCD TFT active matrix, but since it is ~10 years old I assume it is TN? I have not really had any complaints about the monitor even though it is old (besides the one that is failing), but I am also not really sure what I am missing either since I am used to these old monitors. I am borrowing a U32R59x Samsung 32" 4k curved monitor for the weekend since Costco sells those for $370 to see if I want one, but I am finding the monitor a little big sitting about 26" away, and I am not sure if I am a fan of the curve, though maybe I could get used to both of those changes over time.

I am not super knowledgeable about this stuff, so while numbers getting bigger is easy for me to understand for things like resolution, I am not sure how to balance what would improve my experience the most between all of the different specs (or if it would even matter for my uses). Would 1440p and 120 hz be better than 4k at 60 hz? I have no idea. I am not a big gamer, and I essentially never play FPS games. In the last few years the only games I have really played for more than a few hours are Monster Hunter World, X-Com 2, Slay the Spire, and Darkest Dungeon. I don't care about viewing angle because I will always be sitting in front of it. I have a 1070 Ti video card, and as a test I tried playing Monster Hunter since it is the only one of those games that would stress a video card, and with all visuals maxed out at 4k it was doable, but it was getting about 23 FPS so it did not feel great. At 1440p I was getting about 45 FPS, but everything looked very washed out, I am not sure if that was just because it was not the native resolution or something else was off.

I see the LG 27GL83A and other similar LG monitors getting recommended often over the last few pages, but I am somewhat wary of something with "gaming" tacked on to the title because across other pieces of hardware that tends to mean it is 40% more money for a 5% improvement. Would something like that still be a best bang for your buck all around monitor, or would it be a waste of money for my purposes? Should I still be concerned about panel type and favor IPS over VA or TN, and would a 1440p be sufficient for a while, or would a 4k be better for future proofing? To me it seems with something like video cards there are relatively few options so it is easier to determine price/function, but there are tons of monitors with all sorts of numbers thrown around that may or may not mean anything when browsing Amazon. I don't really have any budget I am sticking to, but I don't want to go all out on something where I would not even notice the premium features.

Thanks for any responses.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 02:17 on May 24, 2020

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
4k bad, 1440p/qhd good, IPS if you can

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Even if you don't do a lot of gaming, getting a monitor with a higher refresh rate is much easier on your eyes over long periods of time than a 60Hz screen.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Even if you don't do a lot of gaming, getting a monitor with a higher refresh rate is much easier on your eyes over long periods of time than a 60Hz screen.

How do you figure?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

TOOT BOOT posted:

How do you figure?

I've heard a higher refresh can be easier on the eyes, but that might be a heldover belief from CRT days. If you Google it you see all manners of negative/neutral/positive reactions to the point.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

i have some high refresh stuff and frankly, understanding what levels of brightness you actually need is probably a better place to start for eye fatigue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Even though I stare at code all day it’s quite noticeably more straining on a 60hz than my 144hz after day like 3