Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/HelenHunt/status/734837890887213057?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

feedmyleg posted:

What (working) actor has the best hit ratio over the course of a lifetime? Or alternatively, what actor spent the highest percent of their career doing great, interesting, and memorable things?

John C Reilly

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I actually meant "working" as in had a long career filled with active work rather than "working" today. But some really interesting answers so far. I just often go to an actor's IMDB who I love and am constantly surprised at how much trash that I've never heard of is in there. And I mean, everyone's gotta pay the rent, but just curious at who has has nailed it for the vast majority of a career. Someone who played a great character for a long time while doing other rad projects feels the most likely to me, like a Peter Cushing, whose shittiest stuff is still usually really fun.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 21:08 on May 23, 2020

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Gary Oldman.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Are the metrics are thrown off when an actor is in something universally considered trash? Like Pacino in Jack & Jill, or

Gripweed posted:

John C Reilly
in Sherlock Holmes, or

CPL593H posted:

Gary Oldman.
in Tiptoes?

Like career anchors :D

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

fenix down posted:

Are the metrics are thrown off when an actor is in something universally considered trash? Like Pacino in Jack & Jill, or

in Sherlock Holmes, or

in Tiptoes?

Everyone has gently caress ups. The ratios of good to bad, and great to everything else, would matter most to me.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
The Aughts and 10's felt like some agent might have died and left iconic actors like Pacino, De Niro or Nicholson with absolutel poo poo they somehow didn't have the sense to say no to. I'm reasonably sure there are at least five comedies with a combination of Nicholson, De Niro and Freeman where the joke is that they are officially Old, and I know that De Niro and Pacino have been in a bunch of thrillers that I don't remember the names of. Like, Robert De Niro and Al Pacino made movies neither I nor you remember the names of. Fairly recently. That's kinda insane. They are not lows as such, or they would be remembered. They just pad out résumés that absolutely don't need any padding, they don't even seem like pay-job movies since they flew so under the radar.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I always figured a lot of them were the cinematic equivalent of doing crossword puzzles to keep your mind active

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Or it's like a job/career; whether or not someone else enjoys watching it later, it was a decent gig and they got paid

Edit: especially for artists who have already been a part of seminal, ground breaking or even just plain but well received projects

Blood Boils fucked around with this message at 00:59 on May 24, 2020

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

sir michael cain, jaws 4, terrific house

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

fenix down posted:

in Sherlock Holmes, or

in Tiptoes?

I forgot Tiptoes even existed. Jesus Christ, what were they thinking?

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I much prefer the opposite, when actors known mostly for mediocre movies get a chance in a great movie and knock it out of the park, like Sandler in Uncut Gems , or to a lesser extent, Tyler Perry in Gone Girl

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Pretty male centered choices. What about Meryl Streep. I think Cate Blanchett and Kate Winslet have been pretty consistent strong.

Audrey Hepburn might not have ever been in bad movie.

Tom Cruise has a few stinkers but overall he's been in an amazing amount of critical and/or financial hits.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Yeah most of Tom Cruise's movies aren't exactly high art but you gotta think he's getting exactly what he wants out of them. He doesn't have many that are forgettable or outright disasters (except The Mummy).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Cocktails is the only outright stinker i can think of Tom Cruise being in, maybe M:I 2.

Edit:oh yeah forgot about The Mummy.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

regulargonzalez posted:

Pretty male centered choices. What about Meryl Streep. I think Cate Blanchett and Kate Winslet have been pretty consistent strong.

Tom Cruise has a few stinkers but overall he's been in an amazing amount of critical and/or financial hits.

Internationally Isabelle Huppert and Catherine Deneuve have had very good careers. Hepburn I'd disagree only because while she's been in a lot of good movies, I can't think of any really great movies in her oeuvre. Meryl Streep has quite a few mediocrities, like Mamma Mia, Julie and Julia, and The Iron Lady, although her work is good in all of those.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

What's the worst movie you think would be fun to work on? Bonus points if it's not fun bad like Shark Attack 3 or something.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

pospysyl posted:

. Hepburn I'd disagree only because while she's been in a lot of good movies, I can't think of any really great movies in her oeuvre.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ClCpfeIELw

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

I did not forget about Breakfast at Tiffany's.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Audrey Hepburn was in a ton of great movies. Roman Holiday, Charade, Sabrina, Funny Face, They All Laughed, and Robin and Marian are all fantastic.

I'd say her worst movie was Spielberg's Always, but I've heard some spirited defenses of that over the years.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Almost Blue posted:

Audrey Hepburn was in a ton of great movies. Roman Holiday, Charade, Sabrina, Funny Face, They All Laughed, and Robin and Marian are all fantastic.

I'd say her worst movie was Spielberg's Always, but I've heard some spirited defenses of that over the years.

Roman Holiday is definitely a great movie, most of the others are at the very least very good. Plus, My Fair Lady is near-great and How to Steal a Million is a super fun romp. The Nun's Story was widely acclaimed at the time but it's been decades since I've seen it and I have no idea how well it holds up. Wait Until Dark is a solid thriller of the time.

Honestly, there's really not a bad movie in the bunch. All of those are solid B's or better.

Always is essentially a cameo appearance and is almost tangential to the discussion imo.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 02:27 on May 24, 2020

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Good point keep talkin posted:

What's the worst movie you think would be fun to work on? Bonus points if it's not fun bad like Shark Attack 3 or something.

I think that would mostly come down to the catering.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Marvel movies and Adam Sandler movies are probably fun to work on, though Sandler movies probably have better crafty since he isn’t a bodybuilder

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Huh. You figure Sandler would have done a superhero comedy by now. But he hasn't. Huh.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Coffee And Pie posted:

Marvel movies and Adam Sandler movies are probably fun to work on, though Sandler movies probably have better crafty since he isn’t a bodybuilder

I would assume they don't cater for the entire cast and crew based on, like, the male stars' shirtless scene day prep diet diets or whatever. For one thing, it would be incredibly expensive

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
With the Marvel movies you’d potentially have to keep yourself in really good shape and that takes a lot of effort. The Happy Madison movies probably don’t require that.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

CopywrightMMXI posted:

With the Marvel movies you’d potentially have to keep yourself in really good shape and that takes a lot of effort. The Happy Madison movies probably don’t require that.

That's only true for the headlining stars. The lighting people don't have to be ripped. Even most of the actors don't have to be ripped. I don't think Stellan Skarsgard went on a super restrictive diet for Thor 2

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Detective No. 27 posted:

Huh. You figure Sandler would have done a superhero comedy by now. But he hasn't. Huh.

He will when they invent a superhero who wears Huge Basketball Shorts

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

That's basically exactly what I had pictured in my head.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Detective No. 27 posted:

It was called Don't Mess With the Zohan

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

regulargonzalez posted:

I'm genuinely disappointed in myself for not thinking of Meryl Streep. I'll also add Sigorney Weaver to that.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Detective No. 27 posted:

Waterboy was basically a Superman origin story.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Never mind who has the best signal to noise ratio in their acting careers, who has the highest percentage of on screen deaths among their films. I'm going to say Sean Bean.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Detective No. 27 posted:

The Operaman movie shooting was delayed to 2021.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Danny Trejo has plenty of deaths but he's just in so many movies that he probably doesn't actually rank that high.

Seriously, try and come up with a good, solid educated guess about how many movies he's been in and then check IMDB. Hint: his first appearance was 1983, so 37 years of acting. How many movies per year could one man possibly do consistently, times 37 years.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Also tv parts.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The dude likes to take parts in student films which, besides being really cool, helps to pad out the resume

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oscar Isaac has had an incredible solid career.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Kinda an esoteric question, but does disinterest factor into how you approach a movie when thinking about it, or do you point to the disinterest as a discussion point? I just watched a movie on Netflix (Tau, featuring Maika Monroe, whom I hope to see in something where she's just not so understandably sad the entire time), and I'm in a chicken-and-the-egg situation where I got bored enough to do something else while it was on... but at the same time, the whole doing-something-else part of it makes it feel unfair to complain about the things I'd complain about, because, you know, the doing-something-else thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Eh, I think "it didn't grab my attention".is valid criticism.