Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

John Wick of Dogs posted:

What's the part in Castlevania where the camera keeps lovingly panning over him sticking his rear end out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Wow eshop deals are always bullshit on the weekend. Clue 50% off? Come on why does Clue cost $35 to begin with. Why does Clue have a DLC season pass?! :psyduck:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Odd Mutant posted:

like seriously mario + rabbids is good as all hell. man what a good game, what a great surprise in the middle of a great beginning year for the switch

I legit liked it better than XCOM 2

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
What is this RPG Maker game with stolen Nintendo sprites doing on the eShop? And its $15! They dare to charge the same price as Stardew Valley? Come on Nintendo get your act together:
https://www.dekudeals.com/items/doom-and-destiny?format=digital

yorkinshire
Apr 28, 2009

In space no one can hear your dope beats.
Mario+rapids combat gameplay is pretty fun but the overworld "puzzle" sections are terribly boring.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Double Switch - a "spiritual successor" to Night Trap, starring Cory Haim and Debbie Harry and it's on sale for $1.50?

Fuckin sold

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

ColdPie posted:

10 and 12 are my favorites FFs. If you're interested in 12, get it imo.

I'll keep an eye on it. It won't be played for at least a year, more likely two, so I won't buy it, even if it's on sale and just get it at some point (at this rate I can expect to finish FF7 by June and with any luck finish FF8 before the school year begins, because after that my free time will plummet).

Hammer Bro. posted:

Do you like anime Star Wars? If so then you will like FFXII.

Sorry for spoiling the characters and plot.

(I really enjoyed my time of almost-constant 4x fast-forward.)

All I know about them is the little you see of Vann or whatever in FFT Advance.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Rutibex posted:

What is this RPG Maker game with stolen Nintendo sprites doing on the eShop? And its $15! They dare to charge the same price as Stardew Valley? Come on Nintendo get your act together:
https://www.dekudeals.com/items/doom-and-destiny?format=digital

Those sprites are probably user made

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
FF12 has bizarre pacing, 95% of all the important plot happens in the last 5% of the game. Right up until the last act you'll be thinking "okay so when does the story really get started?"

It's good though, Balthier and Fran are two of the coolest party members in any RPG

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

precision posted:

FF12 has bizarre pacing, 95% of all the important plot happens in the last 5% of the game. Right up until the last act you'll be thinking "okay so when does the story really get started?"

It's good though, Balthier and Fran are two of the coolest party members in any RPG

Playing through 6 and 7 has made me realize that while the story is often just ok (particularly 7) the characters and their arcs tend to steal the show, so that's ok. As long as the characters are good I'll be satisfied.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Rutibex posted:

Wow eshop deals are always bullshit on the weekend. Clue 50% off? Come on why does Clue cost $35 to begin with. Why does Clue have a DLC season pass?! :psyduck:

hasbro's entire business model is hoping people don't realize that board games have improved since 1967

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

precision posted:

Double Switch - a "spiritual successor" to Night Trap, starring Cory Haim and Debbie Harry and it's on sale for $1.50?

Fuckin sold

I got em because I could basically buy both Double Switch and Night Trap on coins only

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Weedle posted:

hasbro's entire business model is hoping people don't realize that board games have improved since 1967

I mean, they do stuff other than board games. Though still accurate for that division.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
To be fair, a lot of those old games are still really good

Modern games are good too but a lot of modern games assume that complex = good

I wish social hidden role type games would take off as something people play online but it's like pulling teeth to get people to communicate in games at all so it's never gonna happen :(

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Weedle posted:

Also magic the gathering virtual card sales

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

precision posted:

I wish social hidden role type games would take off as something people play online but it's like pulling teeth to get people to communicate in games at all so it's never gonna happen :(

More miniatures = better game right? ~ modern game design :negative:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mister Facetious posted:

Imagine how much of a monster MTG would be if it were owned by competent people

Like, seriously, why can't you play Arena on Switch

No, loving seriously, why not :(

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

precision posted:

People mean more like Monopoly, Sorry! and Uno, which they've taken to futilely trying to get people to actually remember the rules to since everyone plays them with tedious half-remembered houserules that mostly exist to make games longer and boring, because board games aren't actually about having fun, just killing time.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

precision posted:

Imagine how much of a monster MTG would be if it were owned by competent people

Like, seriously, why can't you play Arena on Switch

No, loving seriously, why not :(

I miss the xbla versions goons and i would play back in the day

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Duels of the Planeswalkers was great, I actually did the last couple threads for that before Wizards shuttered the whole franchise

Letting you play with busted cards without microtransactions was clearly too much fun

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i like some old board games but clue and monopoly blow rear end. sorry owns though

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Mister Facetious posted:

i forgot they owned wotc

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I beat FF7 remake on Ps4 and wanted more FF so bad I went back finally finished the FF14 story a year after starting

Shadowbringers' story is so drat good.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Weedle posted:

i like some old board games but clue and monopoly blow rear end. sorry owns though

Can’t wait to play Ludo in Clubhouse Games.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

The switch needs more SMT games

I’m on a huge jrpg kick (turns out being stuck at home for months mimics highschool summer vacation) and the switch would be a good place to replay nocturne, or play an actual new SMT game, or Persona royal on switch?

Do you already have F# Encore? that's SMT with some fire emblem flavor.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Evil Fluffy posted:

Shadowbringers' story is so drat good.

confirmed

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

eonwe posted:

confirmed

I'm working through 2.x right now but i'm almost into 2.4

I'll get there soon i hope

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Len posted:

It took me about a month starting from scratch to get to the end of Shadowbringers. Playing approx 12 hours a day lol

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Len posted:

You have a *ton* of main story left, and its all much better than what you've seen so far both in terms of story and dungeons.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

eonwe posted:

You have a *ton* of main story left, and its all much better than what you've seen so far both in terms of story and dungeons.

Eh Stormblood was kinda lame. Granted it's still all better than the 2.X slog (or is that finally shortened?) but it wasn't as good as Heavensward. On the upside, Stormblood being whatever just made Shadowbringers that much better since I blew through 4.2 when Shadowbringers came out since SB is when I finally took a much needed break.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Lord Lambeth posted:

Do you already have F# Encore? that's SMT with some fire emblem flavor.

I do not! I should probably give that a try.

Sakurazuka posted:

It took me about a month starting from scratch to get to the end of Shadowbringers. Playing approx 12 hours a day lol

It took me literally 1 year to get from creating my character to finishing Shadowbringers.

Shb is worth it and one of the best FF stories ever for sure but it is a very very long journey to get there. I think my playtime was 300 hours - I don’t know of any single player FF that I ever played that long and usually 60 hours gets you the whole story and the rest is bonus endgame stuff.

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 08:45 on May 24, 2020

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Weedle posted:

The 'great' thing about Monopoly is that it's designed to be complete arse.
It's luck based, takes hours to play properly, there are properties that have better ROI than others, you can basically get yourself in an unwinnable position through no fault of your own, etc, etc.

It's so so so so bad, and it's mind boggling how long it has endured and why there are 10 trillion different copies of the drat thing.

If people want actual genuine recommendations of what to play with your family/friends swing by the Board Game Thread in TG
Describe the type of game you'd like to play/theme, and you'll get an earnest recommendation of an actual good game to play.

gently caress Monopoly.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

TFW you make your board game bad on purpose to prove a point about capitalism, and then a capitalist plays it and says "this is good as gently caress" and makes a trillion dollars from it after screwing you out of the rights

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

I do not! I should probably give that a try.

It took me literally 1 year to get from creating my character to finishing Shadowbringers.

Shb is worth it and one of the best FF stories ever for sure but it is a very very long journey to get there. I think my playtime was 300 hours - I don’t know of any single player FF that I ever played that long and usually 60 hours gets you the whole story and the rest is bonus endgame stuff.

It sucks cause I'd like to check it out but when I played FFXIV last year I only lasted about two hours.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Whatever happened to the switch port of Rogue Galaxy outlaw? That game seemed cool.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Infinitum posted:

The 'great' thing about Monopoly is that it's designed to be complete arse.
It's luck based, takes hours to play properly, there are properties that have better ROI than others, you can basically get yourself in an unwinnable position through no fault of your own, etc, etc.

It's so so so so bad, and it's mind boggling how long it has endured and why there are 10 trillion different copies of the drat thing.

If people want actual genuine recommendations of what to play with your family/friends swing by the Board Game Thread in TG
Describe the type of game you'd like to play/theme, and you'll get an earnest recommendation of an actual good game to play.

gently caress Monopoly.

It takes like an hour tops for a group of 4 to go through rules as written

Doesn't make it a good game, but it's not as long as everyone makes it out to be unless you play wrong or add 3 boards

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Al-Saqr posted:

Whatever happened to the switch port of Rogue Galaxy outlaw? That game seemed cool.

https://rebel-galaxy.com/rebel-galaxy-outlaw-console-release-and-coronavirus/

Same thing that happened everywhere.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

chinatown is the best monopoly-like game because all the stuff that’s super boring and takes forever is abstracted down to a process of card/tile distribution that takes like one minute per round and the rest of the game is negotiating with other players to trade property

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
The best Monopoly substitute is Settlers of Catan, which is available on Switch and also half the price of Monopoly:

https://www.dekudeals.com/items/catan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Rutibex posted:

The best Monopoly substitute is Settlers of Catan, which is available on Switch and also half the price of Monopoly:

https://www.dekudeals.com/items/catan

jesus no. i would rather play megalopoly again.