Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bobbins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

My mother-in-law was living in Ocala in 2000, and voted for Nader. That vote haunted her until the day she died.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty, 2020

Monty, 2016

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Corto either needs heavier drugs or lighter reading material

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

This got a genuine sensible chuckle out of me.

F-Minus

With no apparent fresh water source, I can only assume he wants to die.

Mark Trail

But not Sassy. That dog sucks.

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Bonus F-Minus from this day in 2012:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Johnny Walker posted:

Living the dream.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I like how he keeps his mask when he's skinnydipping.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Old School Peanuts (Oct 11, 1951)

Calvin and Hobbes (Aug 9-10, 1987)

Robbie and Bobby (Jan 15-19, 2016)

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

readingatwork posted:

Calvin and Hobbes (Aug 9-10, 1987)

This strip got me in trouble when I joined my school's first grade baseball team.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

PainterofCrap posted:

My mother-in-law was living in Ocala in 2000, and voted for Nader. That vote haunted her until the day she died.

I voted Nader in 2000, but then I was living in New York, which was going to go for Gore no matter what I did. Still, hindsight does put all the "Oh, there's no difference between Bush and Gore" from back then in quite a different perspective.

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 5/22/2000

Stephen Collins is political today.

Brenda Starr 12/1/40

Have I mentioned lately that Tom Taylor is kind of a dick?

Hey, old story lines getting paid off!

Smokey Stover 7/7/35

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Alhazred posted:

Intet Nytt Fra Hjemmefronten

(Is Moomin mugs a thing in the states? Because there's a huge collector's market for them in Scandinavia and some mugs can be really valuable)

I don't know if there's a big collector's market for them, but I did get one for my birthday several years ago and it is my favourite cup. Anyways...

Conan, what the gently caress are you doing, stop messing with that amphora Dec. 4th, 1978- Dec. 10th, 1978

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

PainterofCrap posted:

there are 6 million reasons as to why bush won before one can even reasonably include nader as a reason

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Johnny Walker posted:

This got a genuine sensible chuckle out of me.

F-Minus

He could be shipwrecked in a fresh water lake.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Alhazred posted:

I like how he keeps his mask when he's skinnydipping.
"The wise man at the nudist beach, when discovered by an acquaintance, covers not his dick but his face."

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Hostile V posted:

"The wise man at the nudist beach, when discovered by an acquaintance, covers not his dick but his face."

*Old Jungle Saying

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Know what I haven't seen around here in a while?

Jims Journal

And you know what? Screw it, if nobody else is gonna post it, I will!

Heart Of The City

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

B Kliban

I love his poems

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

curtadams posted:

seems like a real "gently caress you" to the Native Americans

This is just what it says under "United States of America" in the dictionary.

Mikl posted:

Just for the record, this one strip dates exactly when Valiant is happening pretty firmly; though Attila never actually conquered Rome itself (that was Alaric, king of the Visigoths), he was making his merry way through Europe in 450-451, and he died in 453, his empire quickly disintegrating after that. So this Valiant strip must be happening between 450 and 453, maybe plus a year or so (to allow for news of the Hun invasion to travel to Britain).

But of course Valiant is a fantasy comic strip which has only the most tenuous link to real life, so... :shrug:

Stultus Maximus posted:

He does have significant interactions with Justinian later on, which is a century later. But the authors do a pretty good job of fixing historic events to the 5th-7th century. The clothing, armor, and architecture of course is hell of anachronistic.

Mister Olympus posted:

So it takes place in a 14th century idea of the 5th century

You can date this storyline relatively precisely, since we will be meeting Valentinian and Aetius eventually. But I wouldn't worry too much about the timing of the strip in general, at least in the modern ones Islam is already on the rise so there's a good range of a couple hundred years in there. Plus the clothing, equipment, and architecture all range pretty broadly. Arthur's Camelot has a huge egg-shaped dome that would have been a catherdral-worthy project to build in the late Medieval period, for example, let alone in "Dark Ages" Britain.

Vintage Valiant (May 21, 1939)

This strip has me wondering where exactly Thule is - I had assumed it was in Scandinavia somewhere, but maybe it's in Denmark or something if Val was able to ride on a horse from his father's castle all the way to parts of mainland Europe that the Huns have gotten to.

Medenmath fucked around with this message at 01:38 on May 24, 2020

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Medenmath posted:

You can date this storyline relatively precisely, since we will be meeting Valentinian and Aetius eventually. But I wouldn't worry too much about the timing of the strip in general, at least in the modern ones Islam is already on the rise so there's a good range of a couple hundred years in there. Plus the clothing, equipment, and architecture all range pretty broadly. Arthur's Camelot has a huge egg-shaped dome that would have been a catherdral-worthy project to build in the late Medieval period, for example, let alone in "Dark Ages" Britain.

There will also be Vikings and a trip to North America eventually, so...

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2017 Spiderman

1978 Comics

Dick Tracy

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Alhazred posted:

Intet Nytt Fra Hjemmefronten

(Is Moomin mugs a thing in the states? Because there's a huge collector's market for them in Scandinavia and some mugs can be really valuable)

Not in the states (we're defective and lack a love of Moomin), but I have a couple that I bought at a Moomin Cafe when I went to Tokyo.

Nobody is allowed to use them but me.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I also bought a moomin mug in Tokyo!

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
For some horrible reason Moomin never really got big in North America. We really lost out there.

Haifisch posted:

Origins of the Sunday Comics

"He will indulge in his usual amount of fighting." :smith:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Medenmath posted:

For some horrible reason Moomin never really got big in North America. We really lost out there.

Totally disagree. I appreciate the Moomins a lot more because all I can do is read the books and the comics and not have it saturate my consciousness like Mickey Mouse and Bugs Bunny.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Stultus Maximus posted:

Totally disagree. I appreciate the Moomins a lot more because all I can do is read the books and the comics and not have it saturate my consciousness like Mickey Mouse and Bugs Bunny.

I guess so, but I mean, I literally wouldn't know what Moomin is if the comics hadn't been posted in this thread.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Dykes to Watch Out For #59 (1989)

The last time I was stumped by Lois' earring but today they're pretty straightforward-- since the 1970s the pink triangle has been reclaimed as a symbol of LGBTQ+ stuff, and in particular was used in the logo to the 1987 March on Washington which featured prominently earlier in the strip, as well as in the logo for the AIDS activism group ACT UP.

Petticoat Junction was a sitcom that ran from 1963 to 1970 and was one of a wave of rural-themed shows of the period. Like many of those shows it was a victim of the "rural purge" in the early 70s and networks shifted from Americana-themed rural shows popular with older viewers to more urban and contemporary stuff. The implication here, I guess, is both that Milkweed's farm-based cloud of authenticity is being juxtaposed with a very goofy and manufactured show about rural life, and that she's being a dipshit by not only hypocritically watching stuff on a GE television but choosing to watch something lovely and dated (not at all the "recent development" Sparrow suggests).

Sam's Strip 2/9/1962

I want to believe Sam's pose after getting hit by a brick is a Krazy Kat gag but I'm not certain.

I'm extremely out of it with allergies so I'll hold off on starting in on introducing Elmo for tonight.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 02:40 on May 24, 2020

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Medenmath posted:

I guess so, but I mean, I literally wouldn't know what Moomin is if the comics hadn't been posted in this thread.

Joy of discovery. I think that not knowing about Moomin until I was 30 (or in my wife's case, only knowing about the children's books and not the joy of the strips) is better than what I'm seeing with my 3 year old daughter who has opinions about her favorite Disney Princess™® despite never having seen a Disney movie in her life.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Haifisch posted:

1978 Comics

I would like to start a nationwide protest against this man in particular.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Julet Esqu posted:

I would like to start a nationwide protest against this man in particular.

I realize I've been imagining his lines in the voice of Matt Berry which I heartily recommend.

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene
Bloom County
September 24th & 25th, 1981

And the legs for reference:

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell I can't tell if this is intentional or unintentional fetish stuff.

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Ella Cinders

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Green Intern posted:

I also bought a moomin mug in Tokyo!

:hfive:

Fun random factoid regarding Moomin and Japan:

Japanese Sign Language has a sign for Moomin (index finger goes nose to chin indicating the snout-shape). It was actually the third word I learned after 'gaijin' and 'bathroom'.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Johnny Walker posted:

Andertoons

]
This is assault.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

EBB posted:

Corto either needs heavier drugs or lighter reading material

I fear this has been brought about by all the repeated blows to the head. And, on that note... today's Corto Maltese!: I give you the Jury of the Damned! Benedict Arnold. Lizzy Borden. Richard Nixon... John Wilkes Booth. Blackbeard the Pirate. John Dillinger. And the starting line of the 1976 Philadelphia Flyers!, or You've probably heard most of the folk in this line-up, but Gilles de Rais was (well, one has to remember that this was in the bad old days of people's thumbs being screwed so tightly that the nails burst out in order to extract confessions) a real sick piece of poo poo, or Oh, please. Were you expecting anyone less?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Geez, Joan and Gilles should have a lot to catch up on.

curtadams
Mar 24, 2019

How Wonderful! posted:

Dykes to Watch Out For #59 (1989)

The last time I was stumped by Lois' earring but today they're pretty straightforward-- since the 1970s the pink triangle has been reclaimed as a symbol of LGBTQ+ stuff, and in particular was used in the logo to the 1987 March on Washington which featured prominently earlier in the strip, as well as in the logo for the AIDS activism group ACT UP.

Petticoat Junction was a sitcom that ran from 1963 to 1970 and was one of a wave of rural-themed shows of the period. Like many of those shows it was a victim of the "rural purge" in the early 70s and networks shifted from Americana-themed rural shows popular with older viewers to more urban and contemporary stuff. The implication here, I guess, is both that Milkweed's farm-based cloud of authenticity is being juxtaposed with a very goofy and manufactured show about rural life, and that she's being a dipshit by not only hypocritically watching stuff on a GE television but choosing to watch something lovely and dated (not at all the "recent development" Sparrow suggests).
After its primetime run Petticoat Junction had been a syndication staple in the 70's but had faded badly by the time of the strip, much more so even than contemporaneous rural-themed shows like Beverly Hillbillies and Green Acres. So there's also an implication Milkweed is being immature watching something the characters (and readers of the time) would have thought of as an after-school kiddie show, because that's how they had seen it.

To a large extent the joke is on Sparrow for going to such lengths to defend Milkweed, and maybe that's some of why Bechdel chose to drop it even though that's a really good punchline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Prince Valiant