Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
in current events I was reading through the idiots thread and whatever happened to iyaayas01, I just realized I haven't seen him post in years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

No, San Francisco

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

in current events I was reading through the idiots thread and whatever happened to iyaayas01, I just realized I haven't seen him post in years

I think he pulled a slippery, got a little too high ranking and a chance of his SA posting coming back into his O-5/O-6 life was probably a very unappealing possibility. Just speculation on my part, though. He could have just stepped out because he got sick of GiP. Who knows?

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

facialimpediment posted:

Donnie's going golfing. Mission accomplished!
As always, there's a tweet for everything.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/525495434928988160

We'll likely hit 100k+ deaths today.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I thought this was bad

https://twitter.com/blogTO/status/1264306674296393728?s=19

But then I saw this

https://twitter.com/AnandWrites/status/1263818537132531714?s=19

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Current event: need a break from the daily horror and constant reminder of man's inhumanity to man?

Want to read the graffiti Roman legionnaires left on the walls of Pompeii?

Of course you do: https://web.archive.org/web/20180227120756/http://pompeiana.org/Resources/Ancient/Graffiti%20from%20Pompeii.htm

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

That last one, yeesh. "I have private things to shop for"? What do you do when you get to the checkout?

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

I think he pulled a slippery, got a little too high ranking and a chance of his SA posting coming back into his O-5/O-6 life was probably a very unappealing possibility. Just speculation on my part, though. He could have just stepped out because he got sick of GiP. Who knows?

I can’t imagine it would be a problem unless you’re in one of Those Career Fields. The stuff on Something Awful isn’t more radical than what you’d find on Facebook or Twitter. Granted it slants left instead of right which... oh...

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

BigDave posted:

Current event: need a break from the daily horror and constant reminder of man's inhumanity to man?

Want to read the graffiti Roman legionnaires left on the walls of Pompeii?

Of course you do: https://web.archive.org/web/20180227120756/http://pompeiana.org/Resources/Ancient/Graffiti%20from%20Pompeii.htm

quote:

Weep, you girls.  My penis has given you up.  Now it penetrates men’s behinds.  Goodbye, wondrous femininity!

What an absolutely wondrous pick-up line.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Prop Wash posted:

I can’t imagine it would be a problem unless you’re in one of Those Career Fields. The stuff on Something Awful isn’t more radical than what you’d find on Facebook or Twitter. Granted it slants left instead of right which... oh...

Yep, this is why I never really post about my job. The most insane, violent right wing rhetoric is a-ok on Facebook but associating with mild leftism is risky. I’ve had a guy on internal chat threaten to report me as a security clearance risk because I suggested that cops should act like heroes if they wanted to be treated like them (after one of those shootings of an unarmed person), and that was the last I ever chatted on there.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 01:49 on May 24, 2020

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

america.mp4

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

I had the same impression. I seem to recall him PCSing right before he stopped posting.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

A Bad Poster posted:

That last one, yeesh. "I have private things to shop for"? What do you do when you get to the checkout?

She's basically reciting that boilerplate Facebook post about ADA requiring them to accomodate her disability (unable to breathe properly with mask on), HIPAA protecting the nature of her disability from being divulged to retail staff (it doesn't) and general privacy about the nature of her purchases to avoid having someone shop for her (lol). It's brazen considering it's not like Facebook is a private site and that image didn't go viral last week.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Prop Wash posted:

I think our past, such as usernames such as “N*gger death turbo” “Gas Cures K*kes” and the generally extremely unprofessional past of this sub forum is something any smart officer who’s moving up (particularly to command) doesn’t want to be associated with. All it takes is one person with an axe to grind to find someone’s leadership and let them know what they’re a part of or posting. He never posted anything bad but guilt by association is a thing. Also our constant calls for nuclear war/death are problematic for an Ammo officer who may have to be in a PRP status for nuclear munitions. He wouldn’t work on the bombs, but he can command the dudes that do. And that’s a zero tolerance community.

ManMythLegend struck the right balance of being part of GiP but not engaging in the jack assery and keeping things either professional and helping sailors in the Navy thread and posting generally positive, or well written professional posts on things that aren’t positive.

I hope they both make at least O-6, if not become flag officers. They’re some of my favorite posters.

And if you think GiP won’t contact your chain of command- years ago I personally (and a few others) reported Mot Bailey’s (Who’s name and command were stupid easy to find) security gently caress ups talking OPLANs in GiP. Doubt anything came of it other than maybe a “Hey knock that off” but uh, it happens. Punishments for LtJG’s is usually focused on correcting the problem and educating them to stop being dumbasses. Commanders and LtCol’s? Not so much. It’s a loss in confidence to command, an LOC/LOR and their career is over.

Like I said, MML is the best example of how to be a field grade officer and still be part of this community. Kudos to him.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I think our past, such as usernames such as “N*gger death turbo” “Gas Cures K*kes” and the generally extremely unprofessional past of this sub forum is something any smart officer who’s moving up (particularly to command) doesn’t want to be associated with. All it takes is one person with an axe to grind to find someone’s leadership and let them know what they’re a part of or posting. He never posted anything bad but guilt by association is a thing. Also our constant calls for nuclear war/death are problematic for an Ammo officer who may have to be in a PRP status for nuclear munitions. He wouldn’t work on the bombs, but he can command the dudes that do. And that’s a zero tolerance community.

ManMythLegend struck the right balance of being part of GiP but not engaging in the jack assery and keeping things either professional and helping sailors in the Navy thread and posting generally positive, or well written professional posts on things that aren’t positive.

I hope they both make at least O-6, if not become flag officers. They’re some of my favorite posters.

And if you think GiP won’t contact your chain of command- years ago I personally (and a few others) reported Mot Bailey’s (Who’s name and command were stupid easy to find) security gently caress ups talking OPLANs in GiP. Doubt anything came of it other than maybe a “Hey knock that off” but uh, it happens. Punishments for LtJG’s is usually focused on correcting the problem and educating them to stop being dumbasses. Commanders and LtCol’s? Not so much. It’s a loss in confidence to command, an LOC/LOR and their career is over.

Like I said, MML is the best example of how to be a field grade officer and still be part of this community. Kudos to him.

otoh Gold Bond O'Malley is a base commander now

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

joat mon posted:

I had the same impression. I seem to recall him PCSing right before he stopped posting.

He definitely stopped posting a little after he moved from Alaska to Nevada

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
^ yeah right around or just after hitting Nevada.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

:hfive:

Thanks bro.

Honestly it's not that hard to participate in this community responsibly without worrying about repocussions. Me posting here for nearly 20 years wasn't an issue in screening for command, my clearances, or any of the special programs/jobs I've had. I hope JOs that post here realize it can be done.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

shame on an IGA posted:

otoh Gold Bond O'Malley is a base commander now

He was a junior officer when he did that video, and it was tame by fighter pilot standards. Plus they bury it as much as possible. See my previous post about junior officers versus senior officers in these cases.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

ManMythLegend posted:

Thanks bro.

Honestly it's not that hard to participate in this community responsibly without worrying about repocussions. Me posting here for nearly 20 years wasn't an issue in screening for command, my clearances, or any of the special programs/jobs I've had. I hope JOs that post here realize it can be done.

Taking the opportunity to say gently caress you sir :911:

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Taking the opportunity to say gently caress you sir :911:

Get back in the bilge you loving snipe.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

We are gonna be doing maintenance, very critical maintenance, on your cabin for the next six months, don't bother calling if something doesn't work

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

quote:

Floronius, privileged soldier of the 7th legion, was here. The women did not know of his presence. Only six women came to know, too few for such a stallion.

I can only assume his centurion had problems to deal with when he got back from leave.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ManMythLegend posted:

Thanks bro.

On the other hand, gently caress you if you're still in.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

On the other hand, gently caress you if you're still in.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

He was a junior officer when he did that video, and it was tame by fighter pilot standards. Plus they bury it as much as possible. See my previous post about junior officers versus senior officers in these cases.

He also had the right friends. A captain doesn't survive that without making onto "that" list beforehand.

Edit: sure as hell doesn't get into WS without it

Godholio fucked around with this message at 03:37 on May 24, 2020

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Look at you losers who cared about your careers.

(Says the retired E4)

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

ManMythLegend posted:

Thanks bro.

My thinking is, the day someone sits me down and says "I see you got probated in 2007 for shitposting about Ron Paul" is the day I decide it's time to find a new career.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Godholio posted:

He also had the right friends. A captain doesn't survive that without making onto "that" list beforehand.

Edit: sure as hell doesn't get into WS without it

he's a mormon in the airforce of course he has friends

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

PookBear posted:

he's a mormon in the airforce of course he has friends

Gold Bond guy, not IYAAYAS

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

that's who I'm talking about Gold Bond guy graduated from Brigham Young

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

PookBear posted:

I did not know that but I'm not surprised

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Air force is a cult.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

PookBear posted:

That doesn’t make him Mormon. My cousin went to Brigham Young and she’s a godless doctor working at planned parenthood. Not the least but Mormon.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
It is dominated by like 90% Mormon. But being a fighter pilot will beat that poo poo out of you.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

AF always seemed like the most weirdly religious of the branches. I think I knew one non mormon that actually went to church in the marines

Reverence
Nov 1, 2009

He wouldn’t work on the bombs, but he can command the dudes that do. And that’s a zero tolerance community.

lol

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

PookBear posted:

AF always seemed like the most weirdly religious of the branches. I think I knew one non mormon that actually went to church in the marines

This isn't an american only phenomenon and the milhist thread has discussed it before and I'm not sure there was ever a satisfactory theory for why

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Air force is closer to god, duh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Wasn't a staggering number of guys in silos pissing hot for all sorts of fun chemicals