Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Doom Mathematic posted:

Can I ask a favor? I would like someone who has an Aeron size B or C to please get an actual tape measure and tell me how high the seat pan will go at the highest. Different places on the Herman Miller website give a maximum height of "20.5 inches" and "579mm" (22.8 inches). The first of these is definitely not tall enough for me, the second might be...

I've got an Aeron C sitting across the room. Do you want the TOP of the seat pan (along the edge I guess) or the BOTTOM of the seat pan at the front (where it curves downward)?

If you wanna take a picture and circle where you want the measurement taken at, that works too.

Edit: This is for a "Classic" Aeron C.

Zarin fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jun 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Should mention that depending of the era chair you measure it may have a single or dual stage pneumatic cylinder which will also cause the variance in height. The old gen 1 Aeron I had since the mid 00's had a dual but when the time came to replace it they only offered single stage as a replacement at the time probably due to stock.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Should mention that depending of the era chair you measure it may have a single or dual stage pneumatic cylinder which will also cause the variance in height. The old gen 1 Aeron I had since the mid 00's had a dual but when the time came to replace it they only offered single stage as a replacement at the time probably due to stock.

Oh, interesting, I didn't know that!

The chair I've got is from circa 2015 or so, if that helps.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
The top of the seat pan, please?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Anyone have a good recommendation for a chair for a short person for whom regular sized chairs are usually uncomfortable? I'm talking 4'11 here. Ideally something where they can lean all the way back in it but still keep their feet on the ground, with a good cushion/back support.

Budget is ~250, willing to go over a bit if necessary.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Doom Mathematic posted:

The top of the seat pan, please?

Looks like 20.25" to the part of the seat where the mesh levels out, eyeballing the tape measure.

I'll post an image here when I can find something in a second.

Edit:

The 20.25" (twenty and one-quarter inches) measurement was from the floor to the flat of the mesh (horizontal line), as best I could tell while crouched and eye-level with it.

The seat is kind of a weird scoop-shape, so there are high and low points all around the rim of the seat (red boxes), which makes the measurement mildly imprecise.

Also worth noting is that since it's a mesh, it has a bit of "give" to it when sitting in it.

Edit 2: I laid a wooden bar across the rim of the seat and got a height from the floor to the bottom of the bar to be about 23.75"; I then measured from the middle of the seat to the bottom of the bar and got 3", so I amend my previous statement to the seat pan being 20.75" off the floor.

Zarin fucked around with this message at 23:03 on May 22, 2020

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
Anything anyone would recommend on sale this memorial day?

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Zarin posted:

Looks like 20.25" to the part of the seat where the mesh levels out, eyeballing the tape measure.

I'll post an image here when I can find something in a second.

Edit:

The 20.25" (twenty and one-quarter inches) measurement was from the floor to the flat of the mesh (horizontal line), as best I could tell while crouched and eye-level with it.

The seat is kind of a weird scoop-shape, so there are high and low points all around the rim of the seat (red boxes), which makes the measurement mildly imprecise.

Also worth noting is that since it's a mesh, it has a bit of "give" to it when sitting in it.

Edit 2: I laid a wooden bar across the rim of the seat and got a height from the floor to the bottom of the bar to be about 23.75"; I then measured from the middle of the seat to the bottom of the bar and got 3", so I amend my previous statement to the seat pan being 20.75" off the floor.

Dang. That is definitely not a tall enough seat for me. Well, thank you for your work anyway, you saved me some hassle.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Doom Mathematic posted:

Dang. That is definitely not a tall enough seat for me. Well, thank you for your work anyway, you saved me some hassle.

No problem!

Thinking about it, though, I believe the Aeron also comes in a stool variant:

It looks like the stool starts at about the height you were looking for, maybe?

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
Thank you, that is exactly what I was thinking myself! That leads neatly into my next question, which is: it looks like there are stool variants of the Aeron as well as the Steelcase Leap and Steelcase Gesture, and likely other high-end office chairs. For my purposes the stool would be set at one of its lowest heights, and my feet would be flat on the floor. I have no use for the circular footrest, it would just get in the way. So, does anybody know if any of these chairs allow the footrest to be removed? Or maybe if the base chair is available with an extra-tall cylinder instead, or as a replacement part?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Doom Mathematic posted:

Thank you, that is exactly what I was thinking myself! That leads neatly into my next question, which is: it looks like there are stool variants of the Aeron as well as the Steelcase Leap and Steelcase Gesture, and likely other high-end office chairs. For my purposes the stool would be set at one of its lowest heights, and my feet would be flat on the floor. I have no use for the circular footrest, it would just get in the way. So, does anybody know if any of these chairs allow the footrest to be removed? Or maybe if the base chair is available with an extra-tall cylinder instead, or as a replacement part?

I looked to try and find that out, but couldn't find much info on that.

There are products like this, which may or may not be sketchy as hell, but . . .
https://www.amazon.com/Tall-Cylinder-Your-Office-Chair/dp/B00BXSQWCI

Edit: might be worth calling Herman-Miller directly - or an authorized dealer - and see what options they'd recommend.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
That's seeming more and more likely to be my best option... thanks.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Anyone use a secretlab chair in here? Do they suck? I have seen some buzz on the internet about them deleting negative reviews on their site.

I think my secretlab chair sucks rear end but I'm worried that I am going to feel like poo poo in any chair at this point.

I ordered an autonomous chair but I'm considering cancelling the order because it's going to take over a month to get here.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

stump collector posted:

Anyone use a secretlab chair in here? Do they suck? I have seen some buzz on the internet about them deleting negative reviews on their site.

I think my secretlab chair sucks rear end but I'm worried that I am going to feel like poo poo in any chair at this point.

I ordered an autonomous chair but I'm considering cancelling the order because it's going to take over a month to get here.

I'd say that you're probably gonna find a chair you like!

In the Before Time, I'd have suggested going to an office supply retailer and trying a bunch of different chairs out. That's obviously going to be a bit more difficult now, maybe.

Still - what is it you hate about the SecretLab Titan? If you can pinpoint that, having a product that you have absolutely hated is - in my opinion - better for determining what you actually want in its replacement. Whereas when you have something you like, it's basically "I want another of the same" and it's easy to forget features you like that you've kinda taken for granted.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
I feel like the Titan has no lumbar support and the contoured sides of the chair seem to limit/prevent some positions i would consider normal. I don't like using the neck pillow much. It seems like the chair was designed more to sit in while playing console games and being a recognizable brand (like any gamer chair I guess) rather than a functional office chair for someone using a PC all day.

I imagine I could sell this used for 100-150 to offset the cost of a new chair. I ordered the ergochair2 from autonomous. Online reviews seemed pretty positive but I was hoping for a Goon Voice on this one

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Please don’t buy gamer chairs.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Yeah, I don't know why I did but I got four years out of it. Now that I'm probably permenantly working from home its flaws are amplified

FakePoet
Feb 6, 2006

Woo. Pig. Sooie.

Hot Rope Guy
This seems to be the best place to ask this: where can I get a chair mat (for fairly low-pile carpet) that will last longer than a few months? I've gone through 2 in the last year or so, of the poly-carbonate variety. My brother has one that's vinyl'ish that I swear is indestructible and looks basically like new, but he can't recall exactly where it's from (the downside to lasting forever, I suppose).

Very first world problem, especially at the moment, but it's driving me crazy.

Flamester
Dec 30, 2012

FakePoet posted:

This seems to be the best place to ask this: where can I get a chair mat (for fairly low-pile carpet) that will last longer than a few months? I've gone through 2 in the last year or so, of the poly-carbonate variety. My brother has one that's vinyl'ish that I swear is indestructible and looks basically like new, but he can't recall exactly where it's from (the downside to lasting forever, I suppose).

The AmazonBasics Chair Mat I have has lasted 8 months, and still is in good condition using the same style of carpet.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The thicker the mat, the better off you'll be. If I remember correctly they have different sizes for different depths of carpet.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

I've had one from Ikea for years now and it's not showing any signs of wear. However it's gotten pretty gross from stuff getting on/under it so I should probably replace it...

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Woohooo, after 5 weeks I just got the shipping email for my Gesture. Best news is its getting delivered today. Not even mad.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I ordered my gesture just a few weeks ago and should be coming tomorrow.

LostEnder
Jul 3, 2012

I got my Gesture last week, I think it was about a 18 day roundtime. Also know that it comes assembled in a bigass box.

Initial impressions are really good. It's a solidly built deal with apparently good materials. I love the adjustment knobs and arm articulation. The seat is pretty firm, but it maintains more padding / compresses less over long sessions than other chairs in my experience.

My only beef is that the minimum height is just a hair too tall for me. I do have short shins though, and it's only about half an inch off or so.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Wow, you must have short shins. I was surprised with how low it goes. A foot rest may help there.

Got mine a bit ago and it's great. A little firmer than my all-mesh chair, which may take some getting used to. I got it without lumbar support, since I don't normally like that sort of thing, but there's something odd about the way the back is formed and I'm wondering if that would help. Going to give it some time to see if it's just a matter of getting used to.

I really like the arms. Let's me sit closer to my desk, which I really like. Headrest seems pretty good.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

We got our gesture used and I quite like it, but I do wish it had the headrest with it. Good chair though.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

FakePoet posted:

I never had one of those carpet-designed chair mats last without it eventually deforming or pitting. I prefer something a lot more rigid if I have carpet. I used a chair mat made out of tempered glass but it was pricey and heavy as poo poo. Other option is laminated wood (DIY if you want to save money). On my hardwood the Ikea one was fine though I always replace the casters on all my chairs.

LostEnder
Jul 3, 2012

Yeah, I really do. The struggle is real.

I am usually with you on the lumbar support situation, but I like it on the gesture. It is nice with the way it means back.

On the mat situation, what about getting a decent looking remnant of linoleum and sticking it up to a sheet of Luan? You can cut all of that with a razor knife to custom fit it too if you like. Around here at least, I'd think you could get a 4x4 ft mat like that done for less than 40 bucks, tools and all.

I've never had one of the plastic mats last any amount of time looking good or staying flat.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

LostEnder posted:

My only beef is that the minimum height is just a hair too tall for me. I do have short shins though, and it's only about half an inch off or so.

You might be able to find aftermarket casters that are shorter? Likely won't roll around as well, of course.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Looking to get a refurbished or lightly used Herman Miller Mirra 2 w/ adjustable arm rests. Whose the thread favorite for that? Is beverly hills chair oaky?

I bought a Steel Case Gesture from Crandall Office Furniture that my SO used. The company is great and I def recommend goons check it out if they are in the market for a steel case. The actual seat of the gesture hurts my bum after a while and gives me a wedgie, though. I even replaced the seat (which crandall sent me for free), but the problem persists.

LostEnder
Jul 3, 2012

I might replace them eventually, but I like the ones on it well enough. If they wear down it'll be a prime choice though. Thanks!

AfroGunsou
Dec 8, 2009

:yeah:
Hopefully someone here can give a little guidance as I don't know much about chairs. My current one is literally falling apart so I need a new one. ($99 black Friday special baby)
I got a hot apartment and sweat like a mofo and would like to never sit is a "leather" chair again if I can help it.
Am trying to find a decent ~$200 fabric or mesh chair to see how I like them.
I dont really need a bunch of bells and whistles.
Would like if it had lock/unlock recline and a fairly high back.
Fold-up arms would be nice on occasion but I've had non adjustable arms on my chairs for so long id probably forget they adjust.
I'm like 5'9" or 5'10, probably ~220 lbs
Something comfortable for 8-10 hour stretches
I'd also be able to like, actually get it, preferably some time this month. Ordered a chair last week and it got cancelled for understandable reasons, but still sucks.

crabcakes dogg
Aug 8, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
FWIW, I ordered a leap v2 from madisonseating and it arrived decently packaged and in great shape. Though it did take a month to ship (ordered 4/20, shipped 5/22).

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.
Is there a specific way to adjust an Aeron (size B) to prevent the plastic lip from causing discomfort? Any accessories besides obvious stuff like cushions that might mitigate it?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Bathtub Cheese posted:

Is there a specific way to adjust an Aeron (size B) to prevent the plastic lip from causing discomfort? Any accessories besides obvious stuff like cushions that might mitigate it?
Your chair should be more flexible to follow your movement, basically; adjust the stiffness on the right so it follows the movement of your back and doesn't chafe you at the top. Had the same issue, and it was basically because the ancient Aeron's stiffness knob has to be turned for like ten minutes for it to make a difference.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

crabcakes dogg posted:

FWIW, I ordered a leap v2 from madisonseating and it arrived decently packaged and in great shape. Though it did take a month to ship (ordered 4/20, shipped 5/22).

Thank you for this. I’ve been looking into getting a new chair and had the Leap V2 recommended to me. They had it for a real decent price so I’m excited to get it whenever it shows up.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Bathtub Cheese posted:

The lip on the backrest or the seat? The former you can try adjusting the tension as someone else mentioned, but the latter means you're probably too big/heavy for the chair and should look at switching to a traditional foam padded chair.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

isndl posted:

The lip on the backrest or the seat? The former you can try adjusting the tension as someone else mentioned, but the latter means you're probably too big/heavy for the chair and should look at switching to a traditional foam padded chair.

Or the Aeron C perhaps

Edit: Or a footrest or something so your thighs aren't resting on the front rim of the seat

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

My Mirra 2 came in today. It's a good chair, no doubt, but...does anyone else get a numb butt and thighs when sitting in it after a couple hours? I feel like I have to keep shifting my position a little for my legs not to fall asleep.

Plus, I was using a really lovely box chair before this one came in, and it hurt my tailbone after a while. This one doesn't hurt my tailbone as much, but now that I've gone over to the couch, I do feel like my butt is kinda achy.

Is this a common problem with the Mirra 2? I don't recall this happening when I tried it back in September.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Pollyanna posted:

My Mirra 2 came in today. It's a good chair, no doubt, but...does anyone else get a numb butt and thighs when sitting in it after a couple hours? I feel like I have to keep shifting my position a little for my legs not to fall asleep.

Plus, I was using a really lovely box chair before this one came in, and it hurt my tailbone after a while. This one doesn't hurt my tailbone as much, but now that I've gone over to the couch, I do feel like my butt is kinda achy.

Is this a common problem with the Mirra 2? I don't recall this happening when I tried it back in September.

We had Mirra2's (I'm 99% certain anyway) on the shop floor at work, and my experience was that they were SUPER comfortable when you first sat down (but then again, when you work on a shop floor, sitting down at all is like heaven) but then after a couple hours (on the rare chances I was able to sit that long) I had to get up and walk around a bit.