Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Freaquency posted:

I’ve been idly browsing house listings in my area the last couple of weeks, and one trend I’ve noticed is a stovetop facing the bar of an open-plan living space, like this:

My question is: why? It seems like a nightmare with no hood or even recirculator to speak of, and I don’t think it would be any easier to hold a conversation with someone while cooking. Is this just a flipper thing for the ~ a e s t h e t i c ~ or are people actually using their stovetops this way?

It’s for the lockdown hibachi experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

The Zillow search term of the day is "Victorian loft"
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/182-Broad-St-Wethersfield-CT-06109/59017340_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3935-SW-Corbett-Ave-Portland-OR-97239/53836259_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/154-Prospect-St-Marshfield-MA-02050/104304341_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/10-Station-Hill-Rd-Barrytown-NY-12507/30135945_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/127-Bradford-St-U4-Provincetown-MA-02657/2080311655_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/533-N-Limestone-St-Lexington-KY-40508/2079554613_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/516-W-19th-St-Richmond-VA-23225/12536412_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/214-8th-St-SE-Washington-DC-20003/419344_zpid/

That last one's listing is...special:

a realtor who thinks they're a slam poet posted:

Essential Residential. The existence of connected distance, born in this instance of a synergistic and mindful design, so lifestyle-driven, so much natural light given, gently divisional, modern traditional, isolation when needed but gatherings unimpeded, a garage for your chariot, your commute proletariat, Joe's so close just carry it back to 3300+ square rare feet of pure domestic choreography in an Eastern Market geography. Note Mudroom: boots and bikes, very sanitary. Think tree-top loft: so soft, so 5th bedroom in case the basement is rented.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

unused (mostly) entry area - please ignore the clutter, it's storage until I can return some stuff. I'm thinking since the wall where the bike is is a focal point when you walk in, put one piece of art there, then get a stand for the bike and put it in front of the other wall on the left. there wouldn't really be anything else in the room.

as to why I don't use it - my place is very rectangular, and so this area gets no natural light. hence I don't really ever want to be in this area, and everything I want to do is already in the other areas that do have natural light.

from the other side - again everything here will be gone except the stuff above the tile.

oh god the hamper!!! i swear i'm doing laundry. i usually have this light above the door on at night as it's quite soft, I don't use those other LEDs at all, they are bright as gently caress

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

3D Megadoodoo posted:

How does a hamper not belong in a bedroom lmao? Galaxy brain my wife: "Oh yeah let's keep this in the bathroom so all the laundry soaks up moisture, that'll end well!"

I keep mine in the vestibule though, it's behind a door and right next to the bathroom.

Because when you take clothes off to discard them most of the time you will be in your bathroom about to have a shower. It doesn’t matter if they soak up moisture; you’ll be washing them.

Dirty laundry also smells. Why would you have it in your bedroom where you sleep? I’ve literally never been in a house or apartment where people keep dirty laundry in their bedrooms.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Freaquency posted:

I’ve been idly browsing house listings in my area the last couple of weeks, and one trend I’ve noticed is a stovetop facing the bar of an open-plan living space, like this:

My question is: why? It seems like a nightmare with no hood or even recirculator to speak of, and I don’t think it would be any easier to hold a conversation with someone while cooking. Is this just a flipper thing for the ~ a e s t h e t i c ~ or are people actually using their stovetops this way?

No hood is a bit weird but it's mainly so you can look out into the room while you cook / etc. It's like why I mix ~fancy cocktails~ on the counter facing into the room instead of in the corner

The Lord Bude posted:

I’ve literally never been in a house or apartment where people keep dirty laundry in their bedrooms.

get a load of this guy who never had sex in college

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

absolem posted:

Do it, the desk looks nice (that chair is even nicer)

I LOVE the chair but I think I want something more padded and comfy like a knoll pollock chair.

Definitely on my wishlist when I want to upgrade my dining options from my current Kroehler set

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 02:40 on May 24, 2020

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

The Lord Bude posted:

Because when you take clothes off to discard them most of the time you will be in your bathroom about to have a shower. It doesn’t matter if they soak up moisture; you’ll be washing them.

Dirty laundry also smells. Why would you have it in your bedroom where you sleep? I’ve literally never been in a house or apartment where people keep dirty laundry in their bedrooms.

I literally don't have space in my bathroom (in my ~450ft "jr one bedroom") for a hamper. My laundry closet is in my bedroom, ergo I put the clothes next to it.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Freaquency posted:

It doesn't look like this particular one has it, but they make down draft exhaust fan hidden in the surrounding cabinetry that automatically raises a vent from flush at countertop height and then it retracts when you turn the stove off.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

lmao

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

The Lord Bude posted:

Yes you have. And if your laundry smells so bad, it could be because it's growing mildew because you store it in a dark basket in your bathroom, you should get that checked out.

mutata fucked around with this message at 02:50 on May 24, 2020

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

PRADA SLUT posted:

No hood is a bit weird but it's mainly so you can look out into the room while you cook / etc. It's like why I mix ~fancy cocktails~ on the counter facing into the room instead of in the corner

get a load of this guy who never had sex in college

In Australia the overwhelming majority of people people go to university in whatever city they grew up in. Most of them continue to live with their parents and the ones that don’t rent apartments or houses. Dorms and on campus living isn’t really a thing; except for maybe international students and a handful of kids that came from tiny country towns and grew up in boarding schools.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

mutata posted:

Yes you have. And if your laundry smells so bad, it could be because it's growing mildew because you store it in a dark basket in your bathroom, you should get that checked out.

No; I really haven’t!

And my laundry smells because sweat smells on clothes. We do laundry daily; it doesn’t have time to develop anything. Our bathroom has an outside window; it gets plenty of ventilation.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

The Lord Bude posted:

No; I really haven’t!

And my laundry smells because sweat smells on clothes. We do laundry daily; it doesn’t have time to develop anything. Our bathroom has an outside window; it gets plenty of ventilation.

If you sweat so much and your clothes stink badly enough that you have to do laundry every day, you really ought to at least switch to merino wool for your next-to-skin layers, as it won’t smell when you sweat in it.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
I cant even imagine putting a hamper in a bathroom. I also can't imagine any hamper being so disgusting that it just smells on the regular and I wouldn't keep it in my bedroom closet like a normal human.

#hampergate

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

drgitlin posted:

If you sweat so much and your clothes stink badly enough that you have to do laundry every day, you really ought to at least switch to merino wool for your next-to-skin layers, as it won’t smell when you sweat in it.

We do laundry every day because there are three of us in the house and we’d have too much laundry for one load if we didn’t. I don’t wear synthetic fabrics ever.

Bedroom closet is even worse than putting it in the bedroom. Closets are for clean clothes. Mixing the two is asking for moths.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Sometimes you live in a city where even one closet is a luxury and your bathroom is the size of a closet

So the hamper fits where it fits

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

The Lord Bude posted:

We do laundry daily;

:stare:

In my megadrought-stricken state, I think I would get an in-person visit from my local water officials if we did this.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The Lord Bude posted:

We do laundry every day because there are three of us in the house and we’d have too much laundry for one load if we didn’t. I don’t wear synthetic fabrics ever.

Bedroom closet is even worse than putting it in the bedroom. Closets are for clean clothes. Mixing the two is asking for moths.
Do you have moths in your bunghole that will escape in pupal form into your closet if you have day-old dirty drawers in there, then

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

mutata posted:

:stare:

In my megadrought-stricken state, I think I would get an in-person visit from my local water officials if we did this.

I mean; we aren’t wasting water, the machine is at least 75% full; and it has variable water levels based on the size of the load (toploader).

We do 6 loads of regular laundry a week plus a load of towels and a load of sheets. In winter we do a load of woollens as required.

Insects that eat fabrics are attracted by the trace body odours on clothing. If you put garments that have been worn without having been washed in the closet you will absolutely see an uptick in those insects; assuming you live somewhere where they are a thing to begin with

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

The Lord Bude posted:

Closets are for clean clothes. Mixing the two is asking for moths.
Curious what climate/area you're in that moths invade laundry baskets? Definitely doesnt happen here, which ill just generally say is a state adjacent to one of the great lakes.

Edit: 3 people make a washing machine 75% full daily? wat

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

D-LINK posted:

It doesn't look like this particular one has it, but they make down draft exhaust fan hidden in the surrounding cabinetry that automatically raises a vent from flush at countertop height and then it retracts when you turn the stove off.

OK, that’s pretty rad and I’ll keep an eye out for things like that as I browse. It’s been weird to me seeing all of these houses that completely lack some sort of air circulation around the stove though; when I lived on the East coast every place I lived at the very least had the crappy one built into the bottom of a microwave above it. When I started apartment hunting in Denver I was shocked by how many lacked something I’d consider so important to a kitchen.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

falz posted:

Curious what climate/area you're in that moths invade laundry baskets? Definitely doesnt happen here, which ill just generally say is a state adjacent to one of the great lakes.

Edit: 3 people make a washing machine 75% full daily? wat

Subtropical part of Australia. It’s complicated by the fact that my dad is a nut job that changes pants daily, but he also goes through 2-3 shirts a day - occupational hazard. I wear pants for a week or so; but on any given day I’d burn through at least 2 sets of underwear and 2 shirts plus pyjamas. We also put the daily tea towels in the wash.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

This discussion reminded me that I should probably upgrade my plastic laundry basket to a more elegant hamper. I missed out on buying this bamboo hamper for $25 because I thought it would be too small. If I would've just measured my current basket, I would've realized they're volumetrically equivalent. :negative:

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 04:03 on May 24, 2020

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I never thought I could appreciate the walled-off storage area of my bathroom this much.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

The Lord Bude posted:

Subtropical part of Australia. It’s complicated by the fact that my dad is a nut job that changes pants daily, but he also goes through 2-3 shirts a day - occupational hazard. I wear pants for a week or so; but on any given day I’d burn through at least 2 sets of underwear and 2 shirts plus pyjamas. We also put the daily tea towels in the wash.

This is... so bizarre to me. Fascinating.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I took the black and white flower xray pic and centered it so it's the only thing on that wall. Half is above the bed and half isn't. Genius or crazy

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

This discussion reminded me that I should probably upgrade my plastic laundry basket to a more elegant hamper. I missed out on buying this bamboo hamper for $25 because I thought it would be too small. If I would've just measured my current basket, I would've realized they're volumetrically equivalent. :negative:

That’s a very attractive hamper. I’m a sucker for wood; and also on an unrelated note for saddle brown leather.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

oops forgot attachment.

i am thinking about putting a sconce above the left edge of the bed.

I tried putting this above the bed but I think it's not wide enough for that. It's 36" wide and the bed is 66" wide. I still want to use it on this wall though.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 04:18 on May 24, 2020

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Is this a regional thing?

1. I've never lived, or for that matter seen in person, a bathroom that could fit a laundry hamper.

2. I've never encountered any threat of an insect infestation in my clothing, clean or dirty.

3. Dirty clothes do not emit a foul odor unless you've been doing something foul with them. This might be different in a tropical or near tropical environment, though I lived in one for four years and my hamper didn't stink.

4. Hampers belong in the laundry room / next to the machines. But if you live in an apartment without that luxury or with roommates it belongs in your bedroom.

5. People should do their own laundry once a week. Daily communal laundry is shocking unless you run a hotel.

#laundrygate

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Moths spontaneously generate from dirty clothes (only when they're in the proximity of clean clothes, though, obviously) just like maggots spontaneously generate from meat and flies from fruit.

Everyone knows this

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I don't think I've ever seen people put laundry hampers in the laundry room.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Washing pajamas daily is absurd. Take showers at night if you're extra sweaty and stanky.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Putting that picture over half the bad was terrible what was I thinking

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

maybe 99% of those issues stem from living in subtropical austraila and aren't the norm in the US and maybe even europe? just a thought

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Rand Brittain posted:

I don't think I've ever seen people put laundry hampers in the laundry room.

Me either, this would be extremely inconvenient in most houses I've seen

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

actionjackson posted:

Josh, have you considered a media console and then getting soundbar? For example many of the BDI consoles have gaps to let remote frequencies in, and a soundbar shelf.

https://www.bdiusa.com/products/corridor-8177-modern-tv-stand-media-storage-drawer

These aren't cheap, but are incredibly high quality, and given how much you use the tv would be worth considering at some point.
That design caught my eye when I first started looking at TV stands but they are very much not cheap. :eek: I think, for my current budget, it's enough to simulate a super long floating console for $280 (2x Ikea grated TV stand) and maybe even cheaper depending on what I can find.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Alright I mounted the hamper on my bathroom wall I hope we can move on now

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

peanut posted:

Washing pajamas daily is absurd. Take showers at night if you're extra sweaty and stanky.

No wonder Australia suffers from extreme droughts!

Every part of that situation seems very wasteful to me.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Is this a regional thing?

1. I've never lived, or for that matter seen in person, a bathroom that could fit a laundry hamper.

2. I've never encountered any threat of an insect infestation in my clothing, clean or dirty.

3. Dirty clothes do not emit a foul odor unless you've been doing something foul with them. This might be different in a tropical or near tropical environment, though I lived in one for four years and my hamper didn't stink.

4. Hampers belong in the laundry room / next to the machines. But if you live in an apartment without that luxury or with roommates it belongs in your bedroom.

5. People should do their own laundry once a week. Daily communal laundry is shocking unless you run a hotel.

#laundrygate

1. Most bathrooms I've seen can! Australian cities are pretty low density and the overwhelming majority of people live in houses, not apartments. I will provide a handy photo of mine - for reference the laundry hamper is in the corner of the room behind the door, and there is a built in linen closet in the opposite corner next to the shower.

2. Infestation is a gross exaggeration, as is the notion in another post that they spontaneously generate themselves. I have no idea if this is a regional thing or not, but little moths that eat through cotton/wool (wool in particular) are a very real thing, and I'd say I'd notice several of them in my bedroom a month. They are drawn to the scents left on clothing by wearing them, and can be warded off by having nice clean clothing, and using a detergent with Eucalyptus or lavender oils.

3. I'm not suggesting they knock you down with stench, but used clothing definitely has a funk about it that is noticeable if you have a bunch of it in one place. It gets worse the longer the clothing is left. The funk is caused by body odour transferring itself onto the fabric, and is exacerbated when you sweat a lot. At the extreme end, 4 of my friends rented an apartment by the beach for a week. I visited on the last day. They hadn't done any laundry and had dirty clothes all over the place. The whole apartment reeked to high heaven.

4. keeping the hamper in the laundry is even weirder. That would mean you take off your clothes, then take them to a different room. If you live in a 2 storey house you're probably taking them to another floor. Most people change clothes in the course of having a shower. Showers take place in the bathroom; therefore it makes sense to keep the hamper there if you have room. The next most likely place you'd be changing clothes is the bedroom; but as mentioned there is a downside to keeping all your laundry there.

5. I just don't see how this works, unless the US has much larger washing machines than the ones available in Australia. For reference, ours has a maximum capacity of 8.5kg, and is one of the larger models available, though not the largest. A day's worth of clothing fills the machine from around 2/3 to 3/4; and as a top loader it has 4 different water levels so you can adjust water usage to suit the load, thus not wasting water. We do 6 regular laundry loads a week (my grandad thinks it's shameful to be seen doing laundry on a Sunday) plus a load of sheets (we each change them weekly) and a load of towels (my grandad and I go through one towel a week, my dad showers twice a day and usually goes through 2). Arguably we could get away with doing laundry every second day, given that we already do a 2 day load on Mondays, but my experience is that maybe 20% of the time it ends up being too much for the machine; so we just do it daily for convenience sake. There is absolutely no way you could do it weekly unless you're wearing the same shirt multiple days which would be gross.

Edit: the tablecloth often gets thrown into the regular washing load as well whenever it happens to need it.

peanut posted:

I don't think you understand. There are 6 months of the year where you wake up drench with sweat. Where your pyjamas are roughly as wet as they are when you pull them out of the washing machine. There are nights when the overnight temperature drops to a low of 30c (86F) and the humidity is high.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 07:40 on May 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

cute bathroom your eccentricities are forgiven