Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The secret is that Zordon always sucked, the movie just acknowledges it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

They made Rita very fucky, which is the correct choice. Lovely Rita, monster maid.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Though they were cowards for making a new fucky design and not adapting the original design to be more fucky

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Waffleman_ posted:

Though they were cowards for making a new fucky design and not adapting the original design to be more fucky

Which is a loving feat they didn't considering the Madonna Bra built into the OG design

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness
Ark-Zero's casting has been confirmed! His voice actor is Hayami Sho, best known as Aizen in the Bleach anime.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

Trogglodyte posted:

Ark-Zero's casting has been confirmed! His voice actor is Hayami Sho, best known as Aizen in the Bleach anime.

Voice actor? So does that mean that Ark-Zero isn't going to be out of suit or something?

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness

LastGoodBoy posted:

Voice actor? So does that mean that Ark-Zero isn't going to be out of suit or something?
The website slates him as a voice actor, and it might be an Evolt-esque situation where the face actor and voice actor are two separate people.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Personal speculation: Ark-Zero is the Ark itself and has no physical body, so it'll take over the body of a member of Metsuboujinrai or another important HumaGear (Izu?), thus why it has no mentioned actor (because it'd be a big spoiler) but has a voice actor (because the possessed HumaGear's voice will change to the Ark's own)

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

Personal speculation: Ark-Zero is the Ark itself and has no physical body, so it'll take over the body of a member of Metsuboujinrai or another important HumaGear (Izu?), thus why it has no mentioned actor (because it'd be a big spoiler) but has a voice actor (because the possessed HumaGear's voice will change to the Ark's own)

Probably more likely that it'll just be a suit with no actor, as in Ark-Zero is the humagear. That, or it's Izu.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

LastGoodBoy posted:

The easy call is Ark-Zero takes over different Metsuboujinrai.net members at-will with a spooky evil voice, but I bet it's Izu or something equally crazy.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

The easy call is Ark-Zero takes over different Metsuboujinrai.net members at-will with a spooky evil voice, but I bet it's Izu or something equally crazy.

Yeah, my "dumb bet" is on Izu. If it's her, I'll take everyone out for frosty chocolate milkshakes.

LastGoodBoy fucked around with this message at 03:47 on May 24, 2020

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
I’m betting on Gai ending up in the suit as the Ark takes him over for revenge. If not that, then he’s going to be its first victim. Granted, that’s not so impressive now that everyone has had a turn to stomp Gai, but still.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I'm curious. What's the short version on why and how Zero-One got so bad?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

My bet used to be Hirobi bit that seems less likely now.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

PMush Perfect posted:

I mean, who knows why.

The how basically boils down to the show's adamant refusal to have stakes or remain coherent. We're meant to believe earlier in the series that if a blown-up humagear is restored from backup, it's like a total reset and they don't have any of their memories on from their time spent on earth except for learned skills. But that gets overruled later when all the humagears remember how much Aruto helped them out and combine their Goodwill Data to make his special sword. We're also meant initially to think that sapient Humagears flipping their poo poo and turning into a monster only happens because they get hacked by a belt with a Zetsumrise Key in it, but it turns out that any sapient Humagear can turn into an animal-themed monster if they get pissed off enough.

Because that second bit, therefore, makes Gai technically right about Humagears being killing machines (why else would you design in a "transform into armored, gun-having combatant if emotionally compromised" feature), they also had to introduce a bunch of really forced cartoon villainy into Gai's like day to day business practices. This has the side effect of making Yaiba look like a huge piece of poo poo when you find out that she wasn't even being blackmailed or anything into being his spy or continuing to lead his extrajudicial death squad, she just didn't want to lose her job.

Meanwhile, Aruto hasn't really had to develop at all as a character? He has gone from having no human friends to one human friend, and his current mission to make sure that humagears can have their own dreams is completely asinine because, so far, every humagear that experiences Singularity decides that their dream is to keep doing whatever specific job they were originally programmed for.

The fights are still good, and I want to see what Jin ends up doing, but like the show's original premise has been buried in trash lol

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

It still blows my mind that the idea of rebuilding Daybreak City was a minor part of a monster of the week episode, and the Humagear vs Zaiaspec competition was a twelve episode long arc that completely dominated the show and side-lined all the other plots.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Geostomp posted:

I’m betting on Gai ending up in the suit as the Ark takes him over for revenge. If not that, then he’s going to be its first victim. Granted, that’s not so impressive now that everyone has had a turn to stomp Gai, but still.

Same. They also made a point out of the Zaia spec being hackable so using that to hack him is a nice karmic revenge.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

01 is imo still not a bad show, just one with a lot of lost potential. It's still fun and watchable and it looks great the side characters are mostly very good (The secondary and Jin esp) and Gai while going off into the deep end as an actual competant character is such a dick that seeing him get clowned 5 episodes in a row was still fun.

The weirdest part to me is how the REIWA crossover movie had better actual questions about humagears potential, role, humanity and things than the show had in it's total so far.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

PMush Perfect posted:

It had a middle arc that was middling to bad (Like Drive), has a muddled message when it comes to what it's trying to say with the robots if you sit and think it through for a bit (Like Drive), has a secondary rider that's way more fun and interesting than its primary rider (Like Build) and the non-rdier secondary cast barely exists and adds nothing to any scene when they do (Like Ex-Aid). It doesn't really live up to the potential of its opening arc. It's got a lot of overrlapping issues that the writer's previous rider shows have it's just got several of them stacked on each other

BUT It's still fine to good it's just got issues and we've been in lockdown hell so people have time to just post the same complaints over and over until eventually it'll become "01 was so bad" instead of it just being an okay season. It's not like it's Kiva or Ghost or Your fav series. It's Fourze or Gaim or Kabuto (Outside those shining moments where the show just said gently caress it and went insane).

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 14:38 on May 24, 2020

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
I do agree that Zero One isn’t an outright bad series like Zi-O, Wizard, or Ghost, but it definitely hasn’t been a particularly good one. It just doesn’t seem to know what it wants to be and seems outright afraid of letting actions have consequences. Zero One had a lot of potential, but just never lived up to any of it.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
The worst part of Zero One is that they aren't letting the belt talk enough.

"A jump to the the sky turns to a Rider kick."

I mean c'mon the belt is def one of the stars of the series.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

When I shine, darkness fades! :hellyeah:

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It had a middle arc that was middling to bad (Like Drive), has a muddled message when it comes to what it's trying to say with the robots if you sit and think it through for a bit (Like Drive), has a secondary rider that's way more fun and interesting than its primary rider (Like Build) and the non-rdier secondary cast barely exists and adds nothing to any scene when they do (Like Ex-Aid). It doesn't really live up to the potential of its opening arc. It's got a lot of overrlapping issues that the writer's previous rider shows have it's just got several of them stacked on each other

BUT It's still fine to good it's just got issues and we've been in lockdown hell so people have time to just post the same complaints over and over until eventually it'll become "01 was so bad" instead of it just being an okay season. It's not like it's Kiva or Ghost or Your fav series. It's Fourze or Gaim or Kabuto (Outside those shining moments where the show just said gently caress it and went insane).

lol it's not this, it's because the issues you consider "just issues" are considered by other people to be bad. A lot of people are carrying the torch that 01 isn't bad while not disagreeing with any of the criticisms, just saying it's okay despite that because the fights are still good.

The fights don't matter because without anyone having any stakes or real characterization outside of being mouthpieces for the themes/antithemes of the show, they have no weight and if anything it's painful watching Aruto fight Jin for the right to keep a Humagear "employed." The reason for people posting the same complaints over and over (itself debatable) is because those complaints make the show bad and, far from improving, the show is actively doubling down on them (see: "Horobi is being brainwashed away from his true purpose of being a dad"). 01's thematic incoherence spoils every part of the show, from the comedy to the action.

e: and yeah I glossed over how we're ignoring all the unrelated or tangentially lovely parts of the show like specific bad arcs or the mounting inconsistencies in how Humagears work or the multiple phases of poor characterization Gai went through, all of which people mentioned but I'm almost sure you just scroll past any post that's negative about the show

Caphi fucked around with this message at 16:18 on May 24, 2020

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

PMush Perfect posted:

The actual answer to this question is: it didn't. It's undoubtedly worse than it was during the first arc, because the competition was too long and not very interesting, but it's basically back on track now (or would be, if it wasn't for the current pause).

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Caphi posted:

lol it's not this, it's because the issues you consider "just issues" are considered by other people to be bad.

I say they're issues cause they're bad or done poorly, that's what that means you weirdo. Like if you're going to snap at me for not properly disliking something at least do it when I'm not agreeing with you, lol.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Yeah, that's literally what I said. We agree on them being issues. We disagree on them being critical issues that make the show as a whole bad rather than just slightly detracting.

My problem with what you said was patronizingly framing that as "they only think those issues are worse than they actually are because they're bored."

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Caphi posted:

Yeah, that's literally what I said. We agree on them being issues. We disagree on them being critical issues that make the show as a whole bad rather than just slightly detracting.

My problem with what you said was patronizingly framing that as "they only think those issues are worse than they actually are because they're bored."

No I'm talking about in in the context of the long break that happened right after the start of the final arc that was shaping up to not have the issues of the long dragging previous arc that exacerbated most of the shows writing problems. So instead of being 3 weeks into The home stretch where the actually good characters (Jin Horobi and Fuwa) get to exist and do things were stuck sitting here looking at Gai's face for another month+ . Like the shows got problems but it's still got time to at least finish strong (Which tbf is something that happens a lot in this writer's shows) but the delay just means we're sitting here ruminating on where if hosed up instead.

It's like if Build took a hiatus during the Dad Build Arc.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 24, 2020

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
The only issue that has been even kind of addressed by the new act is Gai being an invincible smuglord and Yua's arc finally getting off the pot. Everything else about Humagears as people and Aruto as a leader has actually gotten worse.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Caphi posted:

The only issue that has been even kind of addressed by the new act is Gai being an invincible smuglord and Yua's arc finally getting off the pot. Everything else about Humagears as people and Aruto as a leader has actually gotten worse.

Yeah two episodes into a new arc isn't exactly the time it needed to even attempt a turn around, I agree that's kind of my point.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Yeah two episodes into a new arc isn't exactly the time it needed to even attempt a turn around, I agree that's kind of my point.

I don't really have a dog in this fight, but we're definitely closer to 6 episodes into the current arc than 2.

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness
An internet slap fight over people both mutually agreeing that the bad parts of a children's toy commercial are bad is outright classical.

Anyways, in non-bitching about Zero-One news, Garo Versus Road continues to entertain. I wasn't super huge on the fights this episode beyond a few particular wire stunts involving Flippy Kung Fu Asakura, but the dialogue between Amou and Kuon at the end were pretty stand-out to me. You can really easily see they're doing a "They're both really close to deserving to be Garo, but they've just got little bits wrong." Amou's got the perseverance and willingness to do what should be done, but he's too absorbed in his pride and is lacking in hard compassion (Beyond wanting to motivate Kuon to stop just standing around and having flashbacks) and meanwhile Kuon's blatantly got the compassion but he lacks the determination necessary to back it up. There also was one thing I found interesting about the 6.5 I don't think I've seen mentioned much, though, where they go over a neat Garo FaceApp thing but the person they demonstrate it with is Amou's actor and not Kuon's.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

King of Solomon posted:

I don't really have a dog in this fight, but we're definitely closer to 6 episodes into the current arc than 2.

Jin and Arturo team up to beat Gai as the topper to the whole contest was what, 31? I mean it's probably closer to 4 or so yeah.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
They had a fine opportunity to make Yua Gai's secret daughter to give a decent explanation character-wise for why she continued working for him waaaaay after it was obvious he was evil (the brain chip thing is an explanation, but not a very good one to me), but they didn't do it. It would have fit in fine after they made a point of pointing out he was 45, which just seems like an arbitrary character trait now. So her thing being done is good since it's not taking up screentime but the way it ended was not really good beyond her beating up Gai.

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 18:21 on May 24, 2020

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Justin_Brett posted:

They had a fine opportunity to make Yua Gai's secret daughter to give a decent explanation character-wise for why she continued working for him waaaaay after it was obvious he was evil (the brain chip thing is an explanation, but not a very good one to me), but they didn't do it. It would have fit in fine after they made a point of pointing out he was 45, which just seems like an arbitrary character trait now.

It would have also continued both the BAD DAD BAD DAD BAD DAD theme but also the theme that parents are absolute tools 01 has going. Actually shocked they didn't just go for the gold.

Though without the chip you do lose like, the one decent bit of villain writing they do for Gai, that he hates humanity basically just as much as he does human gears and is incredibly happy to destroy people's free will and their actual memories/personalities to turn them into his tools.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 18:19 on May 24, 2020

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

What? Since the establishment of Hiden Manufactoring, we've had Humagear arcs for Is, G-Pen, Delmo, Lovechan, and the farm lady. That's plenty of runway to establish a new status quo and every single one of them has hammered in the idea that Humagears are
  • 100% devoted to their function, even post-Singularity, and that's good
  • personally unimportant outside of fulfilling their function or upholding the Humagear brand
  • blameless for any issue that is not directly Ark-related
  • good where ZAIAspecs are bad, as a functional tool, for no reason other than ZAIAspecs are made by a Captain Planet reject
They even went out of their way to have Jin advocate for Humagear sovereignty, and framed him as a zealot at best and eventually coming around to "maybe 01 is right and servitude really is what Humagears need."

This show is going to end with every Humagear getting a Theregularity and then a timeskip to a future where they're all a happy, willing free labor class and every human loves it.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Caphi posted:

This show is going to end with every Humagear getting a Theregularity and then a timeskip to a future where they're all a happy, willing free labor class and every human loves it.

So in response to me saying "Yeah it's not but maybe the last arc can at least make the show enjoyable like a lot of middling rider seasons" your reaction is to write fanfiction about how bad you imagine it could possibly get.

Okay.

I mean you could end up being correct. Personally I don't think the final arc can really salvage the shows intended morals mostly because it doesn't have much outside of platitudes it doesn't follow through on, but they could still manage something that at least feels like an okay ending for some of the characters I enjoy seeing.

Like I don't understand what you want from me Caphi, I agree with you, it's not good. I disagree with how not good, mostly because this kind of muddled metaphor and moral is kind of what happens in a lot of these shows so 01's gently caress ups don't feel incredibly egregious.

I just think they can probably stabilize to make something that doesn't poo poo its pants at the end and the current hiatus happening where it did has kind of killed whatever momentum that was building like King of Solomon said. Which is all I said in the first place which set you off.

Relax, you weirdo.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

deadly_pudding posted:

I mean, who knows why.

The how basically boils down to the show's adamant refusal to have stakes or remain coherent. We're meant to believe earlier in the series that if a blown-up humagear is restored from backup, it's like a total reset and they don't have any of their memories on from their time spent on earth except for learned skills. But that gets overruled later when all the humagears remember how much Aruto helped them out and combine their Goodwill Data to make his special sword. We're also meant initially to think that sapient Humagears flipping their poo poo and turning into a monster only happens because they get hacked by a belt with a Zetsumrise Key in it, but it turns out that any sapient Humagear can turn into an animal-themed monster if they get pissed off enough.

Because that second bit, therefore, makes Gai technically right about Humagears being killing machines (why else would you design in a "transform into armored, gun-having combatant if emotionally compromised" feature), they also had to introduce a bunch of really forced cartoon villainy into Gai's like day to day business practices. This has the side effect of making Yaiba look like a huge piece of poo poo when you find out that she wasn't even being blackmailed or anything into being his spy or continuing to lead his extrajudicial death squad, she just didn't want to lose her job.

Meanwhile, Aruto hasn't really had to develop at all as a character? He has gone from having no human friends to one human friend, and his current mission to make sure that humagears can have their own dreams is completely asinine because, so far, every humagear that experiences Singularity decides that their dream is to keep doing whatever specific job they were originally programmed for.

The fights are still good, and I want to see what Jin ends up doing, but like the show's original premise has been buried in trash lol

This is a near perfect summary of why this season is a letdown. I would also add that the suits look neat.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

I will say about the suits I don't really care for anything introduced between like, Hornet to Rampaging Vulcan.

MCH is kind of plain jane, The Assault suits are okay.

But I loving hate Thouser. I don't even know why. There's just something unappealing about it I can't put my finger one.

I think that it's just kind of a bunch of plates over lapping on each other so he's just so...textured.... It's like you skinned one of the generic SMASHes and used it to make armor MH style.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 19:15 on May 24, 2020

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Relax, you weirdo.

This is the main answer to "what do you want from me", so continuing to do it is not going to make it any better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Caphi posted:

This is the main answer to "what do you want from me", so continuing to do it is not going to make it any better.

I said I thought the hiatus was probably exacerbating a lot of frustration with the show and you snapped accusing me of trying to dismiss criticism of it. Like I just wanna keep how this started within scope of this.