Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Goddamn today's episode of the Mando Gallery is incredible. The Volume is a literal game changer for media production

e: there's stuff in there that I would have sworn was a physical set that turns out, nope, they filmed it in The Volume

jivjov fucked around with this message at 16:18 on May 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

jivjov posted:

Goddamn today's episode of the Mando Gallery is incredible. The Volume is a literal game changer for media production

e: there's stuff in there that I would have sworn was a physical set that turns out, nope, they filmed it in The Volume

That was absolutely wild what they were able to accomplish. I was wondering to myself how they could’ve from a logistics perspective already be done shooting season 2 and whelp, there it is.

Also I :cawg: when Carl Weathers yet again brought up the lava tunnel. I finally get why he was so excited by it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

This is the lava river. It is made of piping hot magma and igneous rock!

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s bonkers how genre defining Star Wars 7-9 had the capacity to be if only a few knobs were tweaked and twisted. It feels so close to being good.

My bottom line take is that 1-3 were a coherent story executed badly on a scene by scene level, and 7-9 were an incoherent unplanned mess executed more or less great on a scene-by-scene level.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

jivjov posted:

n-thing this. Even if you have no interest in watching Favreau hold court with people talking about Star Wars, watch The Volume doing its poo poo in realtime as they move the camera around.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The Volume was really cool. I wonder how many of them Disney is going to build now. You allot the time right and plan everything efficiently you could produce a LOT of different shows of different genres in a reasonable time frame

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

John Wick of Dogs posted:

The Volume was really cool. I wonder how many of them Disney is going to build now. You allot the time right and plan everything efficiently you could produce a LOT of different shows of different genres in a reasonable time frame

I can't remember the name, but there's a TV show currently ongoing (I think it was an urban fantasy or sci-fi thing?) that almost exclusively uses green screens for sets because there's so much less work involved. No permits, no hauling in lights, no shutting down streets or businesses. You have to pay more to your digital effects crew but you can set up and shoot way faster and with fewer headaches.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

I can't remember the name, but there's a TV show currently ongoing (I think it was an urban fantasy or sci-fi thing?) that almost exclusively uses green screens for sets because there's so much less work involved. No permits, no hauling in lights, no shutting down streets or businesses. You have to pay more to your digital effects crew but you can set up and shoot way faster and with fewer headaches.

The expanse?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

MarcusSA posted:

The expanse?

The Expanse shot their latest season mostly on location in the Vancouver area for outdoor scenes, and on physically constructed sets for the indoor ones (it was a big deal that they weren't done throwing out their sets yet when Amazon picked up season 4 after Syfy declined to continue the series). There's still plenty of greenscreen involved, but I don't think they're using the volume for it (yet).

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

MarcusSA posted:

The expanse?

No, it's set in modern day. It was using green screens even for mundane locations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Oh hey, Gallery episode 4 @ 25:24. Everyone's favorite incompetent bounty hunter.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

chitoryu12 posted:

No, it's set in modern day. It was using green screens even for mundane locations.

It's not ongoing currently but I think sanctuary on Syfy was almost entirely green screen

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Greenscreen is everywhere in television these days.

Hell, ugly betty was basically all screenscreen when 'outside'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SM0E9B5NQmc

Otherwise you've got to shut down a new york street for 2 hours to film a few scenes, or some other city and pretend it is new york.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Slashrat posted:

The Expanse shot their latest season mostly on location in the Vancouver area for outdoor scenes, and on physically constructed sets for the indoor ones (it was a big deal that they weren't done throwing out their sets yet when Amazon picked up season 4 after Syfy declined to continue the series). There's still plenty of greenscreen involved, but I don't think they're using the volume for it (yet).

Could be one of the new star trek shows. After season 3 of The Expanse there was word that the star trek producers were trying to poach sets and workers from The Expanse to cut down on costs since Amazon hadn't picked up the series yet and all their production resources were waiting to be scrapped.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Azhais posted:

It's not ongoing currently but I think sanctuary on Syfy was almost entirely green screen

That may have been what I'm thinking of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STBM01FGgL0

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

mllaneza posted:

Oh hey, Gallery episode 4 @ 25:24. Everyone's favorite incompetent bounty hunter.

I don’t see anything. It’s just Mando flying the Crest during a space battle?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Hazo posted:

I don’t see anything. It’s just Mando flying the Crest during a space battle?

Whoops, 25:42

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

The live action series Lucas was working on prior to selling to Disney was also experimenting with digital sets. Some test footage and BTS leaked earlier this year showing how they would have done it.

Echo Video
Jan 17, 2004

chitoryu12 posted:

might have been this demo reel from stargate studios? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clnozSXyF4k

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
The Volume episode was really good. It was surprising how much Favreau seemed fully invested/up to speed on the technology side. I feel like most directors leave that to other people. Can’t wait to see how they use this setup in other things.

One thing I was a little bummed about was that they didn’t mention any of the effects artists that actually built the 3D sets. It’s one thing if the room makes things easier for filming, but someone still has to build everything you’re looking at.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

frogbs posted:

The Volume episode was really good. It was surprising how much Favreau seemed fully invested/up to speed on the technology side. I feel like most directors leave that to other people. Can’t wait to see how they use this setup in other things.

One thing I was a little bummed about was that they didn’t mention any of the effects artists that actually built the 3D sets. It’s one thing if the room makes things easier for filming, but someone still has to build everything you’re looking at.

Sadly those guys are just grist for the mill and rarely get recognition in spite of how big their contribution to filmmaking is anymore. Look at what happened to the team that crunched hard to fix Sonic The Hedgehog's horrifying 100-human-teethed visage after the initial trailer left people clowning on the character design.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
New Gallery has the story from Deborah about Werner and the puppet. And they don't have footage of him directing the puppet or calling them cowards for wanting to shoot it again for CGI, but they do just let Werner talk at length about how much he loves the puppet :allears:

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Seriously, just switch your internal monologue to Werner Herzog's voice for a day. It's a lot of fun.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I think we can all hear Herzog call them coward in our heads, not really in anger so much as stating fact.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

frogbs posted:

Maybe it wasn't mentioned in Gallery but he decided to make The Mandalorian specifically because he wanted to develop the technology. He is in a kind of semi-George Lucas mode where the projects he takes are ones where he thinks he can push some tech method for film making, which is why he was making all those ridiculous "live action" disney movies.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Jerkface posted:

Maybe it wasn't mentioned in Gallery but he decided to make The Mandalorian specifically because he wanted to develop the technology. He is in a kind of semi-George Lucas mode where the projects he takes are ones where he thinks he can push some tech method for film making, which is why he was making all those ridiculous "live action" disney movies.

That's actually kinda cool. May as well let Disney pay for R&D if you can.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
*Travels back in time to the Swingers premiere*

Me, to Jon Favreau: In 25 years you will have been responsible for curating a multi-billion dollar Marvel film franchise as well as saving Star Wars, and for pushing filmmaking technology to unseen limits.

Vince Vaughn: What about my career?

Me: Uhhh...

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I've seen every "making of Star Wars" doc since they first started, and I'd never seen that shot of the camera knocking over one of the Death Star towers before.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'm really hoping The Volume revolutionizes the industry, and that it'll be an affordable tech to use for smaller studios. I can imagine it's great for actors too, not having to deliver lines to tennis balls in a blank green warehouse. There's that story of Sir Ian McKellan breaking down on set of The Hobbit and saying that's not why he became an actor. It'd be nice if nobody had to go through that anymore.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Mckellern is idiosyncratic and trained in a specific stage technique

Not to disagree totally with you but that anecdote gets taken out of context all the time

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

sticklefifer posted:

I'm really hoping The Volume revolutionizes the industry, and that it'll be an affordable tech to use for smaller studios. I can imagine it's great for actors too, not having to deliver lines to tennis balls in a blank green warehouse. There's that story of Sir Ian McKellan breaking down on set of The Hobbit and saying that's not why he became an actor. It'd be nice if nobody had to go through that anymore.

This is basically what Carl Weathers said in the docu. That he doesn't have to imagine what it's eventually going to look like, so it makes his job as an actor easier. And, even better than that, he doesn't have to imagine what the other actors he's sharing a scene with are imagining. They're all seeing the same thing, so they're all reacting to the same thing, instead of sharing 4 different head spaces.

Also, I love his story about when they're traveling down the river of lava, and how he had that moment of, "Don't fall in the lava!" when there was, of course, no lava. Great stuff.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Weather’s delivery of “this must be the lava river” or whatever in the last episode is gutbustingly funny

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm a fan of him asking the kid to do the magic hand thing and immediately running out of ideas.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I like the revelation that all the guard droids in the prison barge were originally going to be those floaty column-like ones until they sketched out some action sequences and said "Naaah, let's give 'em arms and legs."

animeluva1
Aug 9, 2003

Hopefully I'll have that
problem someday.
Today's gallery episode is on the music. It's right up there with the practical effects episode as one of my favorite things to come from this season.

I would never expect the main chords of the Mandalorian theme to be from the gigantic goddamn recorder. I always thought it was an wind instrument but then Ludwig busted out what I thought was a dark colored saxophone. I love being surprised. Also the best tunes seem to come from the same story of "Yeah just loving around with this new music instrument/sound machine look guys :toot:" and then it becomes a musical touchstone.

The episode basically validated my purchase of all of the Mandalorian OSTs. Going to give it another listen now.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/bobinski79/status/1263696139775344640?s=21

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern
That was the last Gallery episode, wasn't it?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
This is probably old news but Mark Hamill just said he was secretly voicing the droid bartender in Episode 5

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Yeah, that was just said in the last episode of the Gallery yesterday. I don't remember hearing that before, had Mark said it before yesterday?

I think that was the probably biggest reveal coming out of the final episode, which focused on connections to the wider Star Wars media universe. Everything else was more or less identified or recognized by fans already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Love when Jon Favreau tried to get Lucas excited about Mando using the forked shock rifle and Lucas basically shrugged his shoulders because he had hardly anything to do with the Holiday Special.