Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I hope next game has more zone of control and opportunities to attack, like WH2 underway interception. Just got my recently taken city sieged for a turn by a small beaten rebel army. That's a turn of replenishment and repair of buildings down the drain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Is there any way to see underway interception radius? Because I'd agree, if they showed that. Been doing a dwarf campaign and it is driving me nuts.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Lu Zhi's early game is pretty frantic and fun since you're on the Zhang Brother's doorsteps. Afterwards it's kind of meh, your standard North Chinese faction start, probably a bit easier since Dong Zhuo isn't much of a threat in 182.

His Book mechanic is neat but not really that fleshed out, same situation as Liu Chong's trophies.

Yeah, I'm a ways into it now and both things are very true. I like the book mechanic, but it seems a little bugged - there are a couple ones I've clearly met the conditions for (own 6 settlements, have a greater-than-3,000 income, etc) that just aren't firing. Ah well. I'm still enjoying it.

MiddleOne posted:

Oh my god they fixed Zheng Jiang. She can once again demand tribute from non-bandit factions.

Good. I was so confused when I first played her a few weeks ago. I still managed to win on hard without getting any tribute whatsoever, but I have a feeling it would have been easier.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Is there any way to see underway interception radius? Because I'd agree, if they showed that. Been doing a dwarf campaign and it is driving me nuts.

I think it's the same as zone of influence.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Lu Zhi's early game is pretty frantic and fun since you're on the Zhang Brother's doorsteps. Afterwards it's kind of meh, your standard North Chinese faction start, probably a bit easier since Dong Zhuo isn't much of a threat in 182.

His Book mechanic is neat but not really that fleshed out, same situation as Liu Chong's trophies.

It's kind of funny seeing how 3K and Warhammer use each other as respective testing grounds for mechanics, since Grom the Paunch's Food mechanic looks like a better version of the Book/Trophy stuff.

Lu Zhi also gets really solid heavy infantry and cavalry that are recruitable on all generals. I've found that early game is a balancing act as it can be difficult to pay for those units. But if you can secure some good trades, you can have an entire army centered around heavily armored spearmen that pretty much hard-counter everything you face. They win against militia, they have great missile resistance, and they are anti-cav. Also, the best part is they are unbreakable.

In short: You get max-armor, high-block, anti-cav infantry that will never retreat.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Lu Zhi's special shock cavalry are monsters; they're basically cataphracts with splash damage.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Lu Zhi is great and fun but you will be fighting forever and ever and ever. I think over every Warlords playthrough I only got maybe 2 heroes to max rank but I got like 4 for Lu Zhi. Also my economy was atrocious until well after Three Kingdoms had fired.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Is anyone here any good at modding, specifically Rome 2? I've been making a unit pack following this tutorial, but I think it might be outdated. Despite following it to the letter, my units don't show up in custom battles. Does anyone know what's changed?

Whorelord fucked around with this message at 16:39 on May 17, 2020

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
IIRC from what I've seen people mention in many mod comments, I think units now need something to be written on the historical unit description box. Thay's why many pre-Rise of the Republic unit mods are not working but easily fixed.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

It is only now, like 20 campaigns into Three Kingdoms, that I realize the 'interfere' spy action doesn't just increase your spy's cover rate but also debuffs the enemy faction's ability to detect spy actions. So THAT'S how you get away with doing assassinations!

On a related note, it feels pretty good when you get Liu Bei's forgotten youngest son to assassinate Cao Cao because Liu Bei went and made him heir for some reason.

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice
I just started playing this again, I didn't realize that you could bribe characters to betray their faction.

I bribed Ma Chao and had him become my spy, when I was at war with Ma Teng. After I killed Ma Teng he became the faction leader.

Ma Chao went to attack me I had him betray the faction he was leading and come over to my side. After that the west and all those Horses were mine.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

how do you do that?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
In the spy menu there is a section for “Possible Turncoats”, those are the generals you could bribe. I think it was added when they reworked many of the spy mechanics in a patch a while ago.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

It's so good. I had two turncoats against yuan shao. When the time came for the big setpiece battle two of the generals defected with their retinues as reinforcements. Its like something straight out of the ROTK novel :v:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

It's so good. I had two turncoats against yuan shao. When the time came for the big setpiece battle two of the generals defected with their retinues as reinforcements. Its like something straight out of the ROTK novel :v:

I flipped an army that was right next to a city I wanted and used them to tip the balance.

I do like how the agent system is folded into the character system and you can use pretty much anyone for anything. I also don't have to move a zillion of the little bastards around the map all the time.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

It's criminal that Rome 2's lovely Beasts of War DLC didn't include a unit of Persian Cat Throwers

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Any tips on playing Zheng Jiang on 3Kingdoms? I'm not usually very good at playing aggressively in strategy games, especially 4x ones!

I started off pacifying the areas to my south with the remainder being the Han city on the edge of the river, I allied quickly with the Bandits to my east but have sort of floundered unsure on how to edge out from here. Yuan Shao keeps hiring me to attack Yellow Turbans or the Han which gives me some targets. I'm wondering if stabbing the other bandits in the back would give me some more breathing room to expand.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Flipswitch posted:

Any tips on playing Zheng Jiang on 3Kingdoms? I'm not usually very good at playing aggressively in strategy games, especially 4x ones!

I started off pacifying the areas to my south with the remainder being the Han city on the edge of the river, I allied quickly with the Bandits to my east but have sort of floundered unsure on how to edge out from here. Yuan Shao keeps hiring me to attack Yellow Turbans or the Han which gives me some targets. I'm wondering if stabbing the other bandits in the back would give me some more breathing room to expand.

Yeah kill Zhang Yan first thing so you don't have to deal with him, especially since Han isn't aggressive at all.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

A dirty secret the game never tells you is that Han commanders will never ever attack your commanderies.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I ended up getting dog piled quite badly in that campaign - currently playing Liu Bei and I'm one of the 3 Kingdoms and dealing with the betrayal of Sun Ce. I'm going to be devastated when Zhang Fei or Guan Yu die though, even if it is old age - a generic face npc isn't quite the same!

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Flipswitch posted:

I ended up getting dog piled quite badly in that campaign - currently playing Liu Bei and I'm one of the 3 Kingdoms and dealing with the betrayal of Sun Ce. I'm going to be devastated when Zhang Fei or Guan Yu die though, even if it is old age - a generic face npc isn't quite the same!

That's pretty accurate to the Liu Bei experience. When Guan Yu died to an attack by Sun Qian's men, Liu Bei basically tried razing half of Wu to the ground.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

MiddleOne posted:

A dirty secret the game never tells you is that Han commanders will never ever attack your commanderies.

There are actually a few that have scripted retaliation attacks, usually including a legendary general. If you take the trade port up by Kong Rong and Gongsun Zan usually 2 turns later the Han will come sailing over to attack you, and take it back.

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019

Captain Beans posted:

There are actually a few that have scripted retaliation attacks, usually including a legendary general. If you take the trade port up by Kong Rong and Gongsun Zan usually 2 turns later the Han will come sailing over to attack you, and take it back.

Yeah, that's why you'll always see Taishi Ci up there.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

That's pretty accurate to the Liu Bei experience. When Guan Yu died to an attack by Sun Qian's men, Liu Bei basically tried razing half of Wu to the ground.

Shu abruptly making GBS threads the bed is one of history's greater anticlimaxes imo. I don't really care about the nanman, but it'll be nice to finally have a bookmark with the actual Three Kingdoms

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Forget the Nanman, give me Gongsun Yuan. That rebellion is sure to work out great this time!

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I think I'm going to pick up that mod that doubles year times to 10 turns rather than 5. Feels like the slightly slower annual pace would work better for the game. Not sure what it does to reforms though.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

The Doomhammer posted:

Forget the Nanman, give me Gongsun Yuan. That rebellion is sure to work out great this time!

A Gongsun Du start including Korea would be amazing.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Flipswitch posted:

Honestly, that's why my favorite mod is the "nobody (except scripted deaths) dies of old age". Sure, it's more accurate to have people dying off but it's so boring to have the end game populated by generic faces and names I don't recognize.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Yeah i got that mod too. I'll try both and see how they work. Though apparently the double season one has some bugs.

E: I also got the Make them unique again which adds more unique characters with their own portraits and its super neat.

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 01:49 on May 24, 2020

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012
Is sheltering the young Emperor ever a viable plan? I've managed two runs where I claimed the Emperor and things were going pretty well, but on both occasions I had half of China declare on the Han Empire (and therefore me) on the same turn. NAPs are abandoned, vassals secede for no reason (which I've never seen in any other context) and I get dogpiled from about five sides at once. Rescuing the Emperor seems like the game's inciting quest, but mechanically it seems flat-out hubristic. Maybe Han Empire lands are just too juicy for the other warlords to pass up.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
The Han Empire's patheticness causes even the most paltry factions to declare war on them. I once saw a landless faction of 1 guy declare war on the Han.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
If you get a mod that makes winter last multiple turns, does that mean your generals will have that much more of a chance of dying on the eventually unavoidable winter campaigns? Because gently caress does it suck to lose a faction leader or a legendary general to a winter diceroll.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Chocobo posted:

If you get a mod that makes winter last multiple turns, does that mean your generals will have that much more of a chance of dying on the eventually unavoidable winter campaigns? Because gently caress does it suck to lose a faction leader or a legendary general to a winter diceroll.

I'm not sure. I'm going to start a Cao Cao campaign with it tonight and see what happens. It's got known problems with the Mandate of Heaven Sun Jian start apparently. I'll report back!

With the no death of old age mod - does that work with the current version of the game.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Flipswitch posted:

E: I also got the Make them unique again which adds more unique characters with their own portraits and its super neat.

I've been bouncing between this and Wu Kingdaissance for the past couple of campaigns and while MTU's portraits are definitely higher quality, I think I prefer Wu. They've got so many that it's pretty rare to see a generic anymore, and a lot of the most egregiously out-of-place portraits are gone now. The last update even added original artwork and models for Guan Yinping and Zhang Xingcai, so hopefully going forward they'll keep adding higher-quality stuff.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Oh those are cool too. I'm glad I picked this up, it's my favorite TW.

Report back on the 10 turns per year mod, I really like it. It feels like a better pace of the game and makes the seasons matter more. It feels a lot more natural to play with.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

A new blog for Troy, which we’re going to see gameplay of next weekend as part of various games conferences, if not before, talking kore about their “truth behind the myth” approach.

I think it’s a neat read.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Anno posted:

A new blog for Troy, which we’re going to see gameplay of next weekend as part of various games conferences, if not before, talking kore about their “truth behind the myth” approach.

I think it’s a neat read.

It feels like they are trying to thread the needle between fantasy fans and then their older core of grog historical fans, and I wonder how well this will please either side. Like for me personally I would much rather they just go full myth and give us cyclops and giants ala Warhammer. Though I'm still looking forward to the game because of the setting and time period it's in.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Eimi posted:

It feels like they are trying to thread the needle between fantasy fans and then their older core of grog historical fans, and I wonder how well this will please either side. Like for me personally I would much rather they just go full myth and give us cyclops and giants ala Warhammer. Though I'm still looking forward to the game because of the setting and time period it's in.

I feel the same. The Iliad is full of all sorts of crazy poo poo, give me actual gods blessing armies and changing sides mid-battle. Let me have minotaurs charging historical Greek phalanxes. This middle ground just feels empty.

I will say I like the design of the "minotaur" though. He looks pretty cool

feller
Jul 5, 2006

one of the things i like about this setting is that there's no phalanxes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I think they’re probably scoped out of Total War: Age of Mythology by this being a Saga title, though I also believe this is just something they are interested in exploring, ‘cause why do all this research otherwise? I still want them to make that game one day but this could at least be a unique take on the time period.

I’m more interested in seeing the new system stuff they’ll be experimenting with since I think that’s really the legacy of ToB.